Expert Sleepers Disting MK3

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe »

Neo wrote:Makes me wonder if we could also reset the module by doing something like a switch on the +12v. Could be a 2/3/4 hp expander, card reader and reset switch.
This was my first thoughts on the issue. Would love to see someone try it out.
mazzyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mazzyboy »

Os, there's been a few requests for an expansion module for the disting on this thread. I think many of us would be really interested in this! (Oled display, sd port, couple of extra knobs, etc. all come up regularly).

Could you comment if this is a possibility or not?

Is this something that we could kickstart as a community?
mypetrobot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mypetrobot »

mazzyboy wrote:Is this something that we could kickstart as a community?
I'm in on a preorder if it helps get the ball rolling.
None signature.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

mazzyboy wrote:Os, there's been a few requests for an expansion module for the disting on this thread. I think many of us would be really interested in this! (Oled display, sd port, couple of extra knobs, etc. all come up regularly).

I'm focussed on the ES-8 at the moment.
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/

New album "Four Drones for Saxophone and Modular Synthesizer" out now:
https://andrew-ostler.bandcamp.com/albu ... ynthesizer
Neo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Neo »

os wrote:
mazzyboy wrote:Os, there's been a few requests for an expansion module for the disting on this thread. I think many of us would be really interested in this! (Oled display, sd port, couple of extra knobs, etc. all come up regularly).

I'm focussed on the ES-8 at the moment.
A minimalist DIY expander could be as simple as an SD slot and a switch. All we would need from Mr Expert Sleepers is to know if switching off +12V is a safe way to restart the module.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

For preference you would switch off -12V too.

Neo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Neo »

os wrote:For preference you would switch off -12V too.
Awesome :tu: Thanks
debolish
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting MkIII V3.3 Illustrated Manual

Post by debolish »

Thank you Bob Borries! Printed and stapled this one!
Bob Borries wrote:Finally done with this handy Expert Sleepers Disting v3.3 Mk III manual! Wow, 'dis thing' sure does a lot of amazing things, I tried to fit it all on only 4 pages.

You can download the PDF right here http://www.vo1t.com/Euro/Illustrated/ESdistingV3.3.pdf

Other Illustrated Manuals here... http://www.vo1t.com/Vo1tIllustrated.html
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

Bob Borries wrote:Just some of the ideas and requests expressed here, visualized...

Panner: CV panning from left to right outputs, S knob 7 o’clock mixes left and right inputs to mono, at 12 o’clock mixes left and right inputs to left or right outputs, 5 o’Clock adds stereo enhancements by taking out center material and running the output through phase canceling cross delays.

3D Panner: Using binaural ear filters, dropper shift delays and add a touch of room absence to help sell the effect.

Crossfader: Simple crossfader effect, Output A fades from A to B, while Output B fades from B to A.

Bit Crusher: Sample and hold (Sample rate reduction) is only half the equation, there’s also bit reduction and while we’re at it… Circuit benders like to switch the least significant bits with the most significant bit, or mess around with the order, or disable them to get more crunch.

Stereo Compressor: To get stereo only the Ratio parameter is available for CV control. The other common compressor parameters are handled by the S knob menu.

Distortion: Tube saturation to hard clipping, the second output is ran through a half-wave rectifier to get that fuzz sound.

Dual Pitch Shifter: I don’t know if the Disting is powerful enough, but it sure would be nice to have Dual Quantized pitch shifters, made with an auto-tune mode?

Cross Modulated Flanger: The left output is modulated positively, while the other is modulated negatively.

Vocal Filter: Formant filters are usually 4 bandpass filters with preset frequencies and levels for each vowel sound, the vowel input would morph smoothly from vowel to vowel. Male and female vocal track outputs.

Wavetable VCO: 16 sets of wavetables is accessed with S knob, Position input smoothly interpolates from waveform to waveform (or have it change abruptly for vintage emulation) Output A is the wavetable, Output B is sine waves with the Position input morphing from the fundamental to 32nd partial in the harmonic series. User created wavetables would be the icing on the cake, but i'd settle for presets if it wasn't possible.

Sync VCO: S knob varies Hard and Soft sync, Output A is synced Sawtooth wave and Output B is synced square wave.

Carps & Strong String VCO: Impulse input controls the velocity of the strike noise, S knob determines strike decay and string mode (usually feedback goes through lowpass filter, other modes could use different filters or other unusual configurations) the bipolar feedback causes more decay and negative feedback creates more odd harmonics.

Dual Probability: A gate input is passed through 50% of the time or any percentage for that matter. Used to bring more random variety to drum sequences.

Euclidean Rhythm: This will try to equally distribute a number of beats into a determined about of steps, Z controls the number of beats to be distributed and Y controls the number of steps.

Gate Delay & Hold: Used to delay gates for interesting rhythmic variances or to add swing, Hold will make a short gate longer. The S knob has a swing mode where every other gate will come sooner or a bit retarded.

Parametric EQ: This one's a no brainer, I can imagine a mixing console with distings in each strip!

CV Sequencer: I don’t know if this is possible with the user interface (Erica Synths has one in 3 HP) a 16 step sequencer with Pitch, Gate Length/Off, slide per step with a quantizer tacked on.

Dual CV Recorder: For all of us with joystick controllers, this would be a god send. Push to record, loops when you let go. Z has two modes, re-trigs the loop, or the incoming CV tracks the position in the loop, like a tracking generator.
this is amazing, really hope some of these come to life. its really nice to visualize these suggestions and imagine the possibilities. these are all really excellent ideas.
:miley:
Jalopy
Common Wiggler

Post by Jalopy »

:eek:
phutureboy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by phutureboy »

phutureboy wrote:
Nightly Closures wrote:Could you add a function that would scale 1v/o to 1.2v/o allowing euro to interact properly with eml 101? Please. :help:
Excellent suggestion, would work with Buchla modules too. Plus a function that would transform euro gate into Buchla Pulse and vice versa would be a blessing !
Hi OS, haven't heard back from you, not that I want to rush things, just to know if this can happen at some point or if this is downright infeasible with the Disting, and then I should look elsewhere...
So to summarize :
1. Can this be programmed into the Disting ?
2. If yes, do you plan to do it at some point ?
FS: EMS AKS | WTB : ESX-8GT MKI
dashwood
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting MkIII V3.3 Illustrated Manual

Post by dashwood »

Bob Borries wrote:Finally done with this handy Expert Sleepers Disting v3.3 Mk III manual! Wow, 'dis thing' sure does a lot of amazing things, I tried to fit it all on only 4 pages.
Holy crap Borries !! I missed this when you first posted it,another masterful piece of work sir, thank you.
:hail: :hail: :hail:
billyk419
Wiggling with Experience

Post by billyk419 »

Been trying to decide between a Disting and a uFold as my next module. The Disting seems like a no-brainer but I don't quite understand everything on that "cheat sheet".

Is there a steep learning curve to the Disting? Or is it like Maths where it seems complicated but once you use it for a day or two, everything falls into place? Also, is there any overlap between the two modules? I see that the Disting does some waveshaping but I imagine the analog circuitry of the uFold would sound better?

Sorry if these are beginner questions. Just trying research these modules before I make a mistake and have to sell it.
erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub »

Get a Disting (even a cheap Mk1 or 2 is an amazing deal), use it for the things you know you want to use, in quiet moments, use one of the features you have no idea what it is or why, watch videos, read up on the history of the function and learn learn learn (and then probably buy another Disting because there's so much awesome stuffed in there). You'll probably use it to learn what dedicated modules you want in future - always using the quantizer or wavefolder? Go buy one and free up Disting for something else etc.

The wavefolder is entirely pleasant to my ears btw, it's probably worth throwing any notions of digital vs analogue out of the window with regards to eurorack as we no longer really live in an age where processors have the limitations that they did when that largely pointless argument started in the first place.
mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe »

How can I know what OS am I running?
mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe »

I answer to myself. I have found it in the online user manual:

When the module powers up it runs through some patterns on its LEDs, to a) give confidence that it's working correctly and b) display the bootloader and firmware versions.
The seqeuence is as follows:

a, 1, b, 2, c, 3, d, 4
1 + major bootloader version number as binary on a/b/c/d (a is LSB)
all off
1 + minor bootloader version number as binary on a/b/c/d (a is LSB)
a, b, c, d, 1, 2, 3, 4
all 8 at once
1 + major firmware version number as binary on a/b/c/d (a is LSB)
all off
1 + minor firmware version number as binary on a/b/c/d (a is LSB)
1 + flash a twice
sromanel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sromanel »

Oh please God (or should I say os :hihi: ) I'd die for a wavetable VCO mode
jwm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jwm »

has anyone else tried using the pitch tracker with a guitar? i just fiddled with it trying to send 1v/oct (in from a pittsburgh in/out) out to braids..but it doesn't seem to track very well at all. it does for a split second, then more or less flips out and glitches all over the place. maybe there is a trick to this that i don't know about? or maybe it wasn't really designed to work with something like a guitar pickup that doesn't put out a smooth enough signal for it to work/track correctly (which is my guess)
erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub »

As wit- almost all pitch trackers, if you use a bandpass filter on the signal you can fine tune it. Some folks have reported that clipping the heck out of the guitar to make is very square also helps.

It's actually tracking a little too well and dealing with all the stray harmonic content you get at either side of a frequency from a vibrating string. You need to adapt your playing style too to get the most from it.

You can also use a bunch of support modules like a sample and hold, comparator, quantizer etc to lock things up tighter.
jwm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jwm »

erstlaub wrote:As wit- almost all pitch trackers, if you use a bandpass filter on the signal you can fine tune it. Some folks have reported that clipping the heck out of the guitar to make is very square also helps.

It's actually tracking a little too well and dealing with all the stray harmonic content you get at either side of a frequency from a vibrating string. You need to adapt your playing style too to get the most from it.

You can also use a bunch of support modules like a sample and hold, comparator, quantizer etc to lock things up tighter.
aha - thats actually a great idea. never done any PT before, so i'm still figuring that out. i'll have to try this out. thanks! :bananaguitar:
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

I could be totally wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere that clipping the guitar's signal a bit, essentially making it more square waveish, helps in pitch tracking... Worth a shot I guess. I have a disting, but I haven't touched my guitar in years. Although, with clouds, rainmaker... :hmm: :bananaguitar:
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FS US: Mutable Marbles

EternalTurtle
Common Wiggler

Post by EternalTurtle »

Those proposed modes look awesome. Can't wait to get mine. I ordered a few days ago but was sent a totally different module. :bang:

Also glad I found that cheatsheet, it will undoubtedly streamline my patchings.
:hail:
Upright
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Upright »

Os hasn't posted in some time....I imagine he's working hard on the ES-6
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

ES-8, but yes. Still listening though.

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt »

Bought this to finish my current rack and use all of the different functions, now use it primarily as a sample player.

Any chance at the dual mono one shot mode that was brought up earlier? Would be fantastic.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”