Corny Rhythm, who wants? (PCB+panel deal)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Corny Rhythm, who wants? (PCB+panel deal)

Post by falafelbiels »

Hey people,

I have been teasing you with this one here and there and now is the time to launch this thing.

Over the last few months I have been working with Timo Rozendal (he did the hard part of coding this thing and did an excellent job!) on this little drumsequencer idea that had been roaming in my head for a while, which will be known henceforth as the Corny Rhythm.
The basic idea behind this project is that I wanted to have a compact rhythm sequencer that has more emphasis on playback than on programming on the spot. Furthermore I was looking for some features that just do not appear on modern drumboxes anymore.

[video][/video]

The idea first took root when we had a friend of mine, Senne (Zenn on here) playing at Noodlebar, our monthly modular noodling event. He brought an old Korg rhythmbox and it occurred to me that these preset rhythms were still quite up-to-date. Also he kept pushing the fill button and that surely worked magic...

The preset rhythm might seem somewhat corny and it oftentimes is, but this can been seen as a quality in itself. sure enough these patterns had been well chosen back in the day and who can argue with a good samba?
Now I have had many drumboxes and in the first few months I owned them I would enter a bunch of cool patterns, but in the years after that I would only play them back. New machine would mean new rhythms. In a sense these had become my own preset rhythms.
My guess is I am not the only one to work like this.

In this module the preset rhythms aren't even that preset. It runs on an Arduino Nano, which means whatever is in there can be edited.
Timo has been working on a tool that allows you to convert midi files into arduino code that you can copy into the Corny Rhythm code. Some household chores come with it, such as naming the rhythms so they show up properly in the display. I believe it is quite doable for anyone.
In the current code it holds 7 banks of 8 patterns each, but there can and will be more. Right now the memory usage is at about 20% and that includes the code that the module works on, plenty of scope.

This sequencer is a bit of an ode to old rhythm boxes and so we have included the 3 rhythm banks of the Roland CR8000. This is where it gets its' name from too (CR8000=Compu Rhythm 8000)
Now these rhythms are particularly Corny....

Also I reckoned it would be nice to have this module play sounds already without hooking up any other drum voices, so I incorporated a Tumbadora in the design. This is a recreation of the CR8000 conga voices, the most corny sounds in there!
So if this would be your first module, you may consider it a conga sequencer! corny corny corny.

Now the cool thing with this is the way you can sort of emulate the way we tried to use old drumboxes with our modular gear without the hauling of heavy fragile boxes. It was all a matter of synchronising the stuff and then pressing the different rhythm buttons, sometimes several at once, to get cool rhythms.
The Corny Rhythm takes CV to control, along with the central potentiometer, which pattern is playing at a given moment. The patterns can be switched at any moment, not just at the end of the pattern.
At reception of a clock signal the module looks at the central pot and the incoming CV to determine from which pattern it will play the notes at that given step. So every step can be from a different pattern within a bank.
depending on the musicality of the patterns, it will always play "musically valid" rhythms.

features:

clock input
buffered clock output
reset input (manual and mini jack input)
reset output (outputs a trigger every first note in a rhythm)
up and down pushbuttons for selecting rhythm banks/ household duties
random pattern pushbutton
drumfill pushbutton
potentiometer for selecting the rhythm within a bank
CV input (with attenuator) for selecting the rhythm within a bank
Cool LED display showing you what is going on
7 trigger outputs
Tumbadora output (analog conga sounds)
autofill
random fill

So yeah I would like to know if anyone would like to be in on this. I have about 10 boards left right now That I can part with.
The price for a PCB set would be €30,-, this includes a Tumbadora board set as well. The panels will go for €10,- and shipping is 3,- worldwide. These prices are ex VAT. The Arduino Nano is not included.

For now I can send you the code if you purchase a board set. Something like a github should be setup in the near future I suppose.

And a word from Timo Rozendal that appears later in this thread, I know not everybody likes to read entire threads full of useful info:

I will put the software, templates and help applications on my website soon and put the links here, it will have space for 8 fill banks and 16 rhythm banks, each banks has 8 rhythms. Those can be changed fairly easy, adding more or changing the order of the banks is more work.

The conversion software (midi to 'corny-code') will be mac only initially.
You are free to choose the length and division for each rhythm.

There will also be a help app to create the display messages.

the arduino we use is the nano clone from banggood

##########################################

Because of issues regarding the availability of the nice display I have made a new version, Corny Rhythm mkII. See halfway page 8 of this thread.
This version uses a super-available and far more affordable display.

I will not be ordering new boards for the first version. For those that have a display, there are still a few boards available.

Who's in?

well them's in:

Spcena
berenie
Search64
Clausf
mbroers
Jhon
Kalle
Grizzle
tds
Sammy123

Run number two:

Timpecter
InfraXpert
Euromorcego
Barcode
Eloc
Gwash
DJBRUTAL
Gwpt
fluffybeard
sixty_n
Magneticstripper
Davidschwan1

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Attachments
CORNY RHYTHM 1.1 BOM.pdf
(62.02 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by falafelbiels on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:19 am, edited 27 times in total.
TimoRozendal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimoRozendal »

yeah! stoked about this...

here is the 'manual'

available buttons:
[UP]
[DOWN]
[FILL]
[RANDOM/SETUP]
[RESET]

normal operation:
-clock input will step through the current pattern and output relevant triggers
-it will send out a reset signal when the loop restarts, you can restart the loop manually by pressing the [RESET] button
-the display will display the name of the rhythm and the dots will display where you are in the rhythm
- the selected rhythm is determined by a combination of the cv input and the potmeter input.
- the display is only updated after every clock for performance reasons
- a bank contains 8 rhythms and you can select a bank with the [UP] and [DOWN] buttons (it will show the bankname for 700ms), the selected bank is remembered on power down
- if you press the [RANDOM/SETUP] button the order of the 8 rhythms in the bank is randomized, this can create interesting results when you use a varying cv signal to select the rhythms, if you press the [RANDOM/SETUP] button again the initial order is restored. (The order is automatically restored when you select another bank)
- if there is no clock input for 6 seconds the module goes to 'idle' mode, meaning that it will update the display also without clock input, so you can 'pre-select' rhythms/banks/fills without playing them

fills:
- when you press and release the [FILL] button the current selected fill will start immediately and it will resume playing the selected normal rhythm at the start of the next bar
- if you press and hold the [FILL] button, you can select another fill with the [UP] and [DOWN] buttons, the selected fill is remembered on power down
- if you press and hold the [FILL] button, press and release the [RANDOM/SETUP] button and then release the [FILL] button it will not start playing the fill directly but at the start of the next bar

extra functions:
- if you press and hold the [RANDOM/SETUP] button for 6 seconds you enter 'setup mode', now you can release the button
- when you press the [UP] button you can configure the 'auto fill'. This will enable you to automatically play a fill every 2, 3,5,8,12,or 16 bars, or turn it off. A manually triggered fill reset the bar count time so you can sync easily.
- when you press the [DOWN] button you can configure the 'random fill'. This will enable you to select a random fill based on the fill you have selected. The possible values are off,2,4,8 and 'all'. A value of 4 means that it will choose out of 4 fills, starting at the one you have selected, so if you have selected fill nr 2 it can play fill 2,3,4 or 5
- when you press the [FILL] button you have the option to turn the display off. The module operates still the same way as before, but there is no visual feedback. You can do that if you have an interference issue with the display or when you simply want less visual 'noise'
- if you press and release the [RANDOM/SETUP] button you leave 'setup' mode

how to upload the firmware:

- download the latest arduino ide
- download a driver for your arduino (clone) (the one we use from banggood needs this driver: win /mac (newer mac versions (10.11 and perhaps 10.10) need this driver)
- download the firmware (attached to this post),
note: if you have already previously installed (latest version of) the LedControl library you should remove the LedControl.h and .cpp files from the unzipped folder
- connect your computer to the arduino and start the arduino ide and open de CornyRhythm.ino
- select in the tools tab the correct board (arduino nano), processor (atmega328) and port (differs, even per usb port, but with the clone we use it is something like /dev/cu.wchusbserialfd130, always check this first if upload fails)
- press upload and wait (sometimes it is necessary to shutdown your eurorack first)
- GO!

adding your own pattern banks(rhythms or fills):
you can add your own banks based on midi patterns with the help of a mac os x tool and some manual changes to the arduino code. An ableton live project is provided as template but other DAWS should work as well.
For the tool, template and more detailed step by step info download this (~15mb)

known issues:
- the reset trigger cannot be used directly to sync other corny rhythms to eachother, the slave will be 1 clocktrigger off
- sometimes the reset is not properly fired when switching between patterns with different lenghts
Attachments
CornyRhythm-151118a.zip
latest arduino firmware for corny rhythm
(19.8 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by TimoRozendal on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:55 am, edited 12 times in total.
spneca
Common Wiggler

Post by spneca »

I am in for a full set.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

solid!
berenie
Common Wiggler

Post by berenie »

i'm in for a pcb set timo and niels :tu:
search64
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by search64 »

You mentioned you could do different drums integrated as well... I would love a corny rhythm with a kick in there :razz:

Also, is the display difficult to source?
Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno »

Hi Niels,

Busy putting this together, so it really needs the Main pcb for the Tumbadora? I got this from you as well, but with a panel and the control PCB, I do not need those right?

The rest is pretty straightforward people, don't be scared of the big MAXIM LED driver, it's SMT but not too hard to solder. The SMT transistors are small but also doable.

Keen on seeing the BOM.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

berenie wrote:i'm in for a pcb set timo and niels :tu:
of course Berend. It seems I sent that package early after all eh?
ClausF
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ClausF »

Ok, I give the SMD's a Chance. I'm in for one set.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

search64 wrote:You mentioned you could do different drums integrated as well... I would love a corny rhythm with a kick in there :razz:

Also, is the display difficult to source?
Yes I have been working on that. So far I have made a CR8000 hihat and cymbal board (Sizzla) that works and although the board is okay apart from some badly chosen values, it suffers heavily from interference caused by the display driver when installed on the Corny Rhythm.
I had the same problem in the conga board in the beginning and managed to get the interference to acceptable levels there. In the Sizzla it is very bad and I am still figuring out how to fix this.

Sizzla has a panelcomponentboard as well so you can make it into a 4hp module like this:

So yes it can be installed but it doesn't work so well so far...

meanwhile a CR8000 kick, snare and rimshot (Rimma? Rimbo?) is in the making, halfway there now. I hope this one will fare better than the Sizzla.

the display is right here
Last edited by falafelbiels on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
berenie
Common Wiggler

Post by berenie »

falafelbiels wrote:
:sadbanana: might as well hold on to this one till the next thing
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

Jarno wrote:Hi Niels,

Busy putting this together, so it really needs the Main pcb for the Tumbadora? I got this from you as well, but with a panel and the control PCB, I do not need those right?

The rest is pretty straightforward people, don't be scared of the big MAXIM LED driver, it's SMT but not too hard to solder. The SMT transistors are small but also doable.

Keen on seeing the BOM.
Yup it needs it, if only to get some power. If you want you can leave off the actual components and just instal the powerheader, through hole resistors and 10uF caps, but the congas are pretty nice actually.

You could use the panelcomponentboard to mount a stripboard adventure of sorts. Note that the comparators on it switch from +12v to -12V.
anyway it is quite nice to have in case you need to do some troubleshooting.

Nah SMD isn't as bad as it looks, just use very thin strand tin, 0,5mm will do. Only apply very small amounts to the pads, especially with the transistors.
Last edited by falafelbiels on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

ClausF wrote:Ok, I give the SMD's a Chance. I'm in for one set.
Cool Claus! you'll manage. It isn't even so much, considering the functionality of the module is very nice.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

berenie wrote:
falafelbiels wrote:
:sadbanana: might as well hold on to this one till the next thing
You sure?

BOM is in!
berenie
Common Wiggler

Post by berenie »

No!!! i'm down..

Also, what clone do you use? was thinking of getting a iteaduino Nano, unless there's a reason not to :hmm:
Last edited by berenie on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

:hihi:
mbroers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mbroers »

im down for a pcb set!
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

you damn sure are Mike!
jh0n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jh0n »

I'm definitely in for a set!
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

jh0n wrote:I'm definitely in for a set!
Fo sho
grizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzle »

I'd like to be in!
Tunes-----> apartmentfox.bandcamp.com
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

grizzle wrote:I'd like to be in!
You are!

Almost there for this run, should I order some more?
search64
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by search64 »

Put me down for a set. I'd be much obliged if you could include the bubble display though :hihi: (I'd pay for it, obviously)

Found the rest of the "difficult" parts on Mouser

Momentary switches
http://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Sw ... Heyb6U0%3d

Push buttons
http://nl.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=02e11

Push button caps
http://nl.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=320.08
falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels »

search64 wrote:Put me down for a set. I'd be much obliged if you could include the bubble display though :hihi: (I'd pay for it, obviously)

Found the rest of the "difficult" parts on Mouser

Momentary switches
http://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Sw ... Heyb6U0%3d

Push buttons
http://nl.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=02e11

Push button caps
http://nl.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=320.08
You have been put down (not like a dog or such something)

Yeah those switches look good, I just cannot say anything about their diameter. might be you have to drill out the holes a bit. They might as well be perfect though...

about the display, I don't have that many myself and I promised some people a complete build so that's a bit difficult.

cool components stock them as well
very cool
maybe they happen to have some more stuff that you need? They carry Arduino Nano too, at a price though...
tds
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tds »

Wow, this looks really cool, I would like to be in as well!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”