EDIT: Warning 2: If your module has a serial number that ends with number < 020, you should contact Mutable Instruments: your Clouds might have a faulty bootloader which could brick the unit if you try to update it.
EDIT: Warning 3: If you purchased your Clouds on or after July 2015, please use Clouds Parasite version > 1.3. Earlier versions might not work properly.
I already published a couple of my hacks on Mutable firmwares. Here is an official announcement for the beginning of a series: the Parasites. A parasite is an organism living in or on another, benefiting unilaterally from its host. Parasites is a series of free alternative firmwares for MI modules. Their purpose is to enhance existing features, add new function and hidden modes, retaining as much as possible factory functionality.
It now has a web page:
First off is Clouds Parasite: a new and improved alternative firmware for Clouds. It adds the following features:
- The (largely improved) OliVerb: a new, full-featured creative reverb mode, inspired by the Erbe Verb, with CV control over all parameters. It is modeless, unrealistic and goes far beyond your traditional reverb;
- Resonestor: a polyphonic resonator processor with built-in support for your beloved Karplus-Strong synthesis.
- More envelopes for your grains: the Texture knob allows to select ramp down or ramp up-shaped grains. Square-shaped grains have steeper edges for extra glitch;
- Enhanced looping delay and time stretcher modes: tempo syncing with clock multiplier/divisor, support for stereo delay (ping-pong delay) and (crude) open feedback loop, much improved sound quality, faster delay time change.
- Availability of much smaller grains compared to the official firmware.
- Post-processing reverb on the original modes is applied after the dry/wet, so that it affects also the dry signal.
- Reverse mode: play back grains in reverse direction
Version v0.9 introduced the Oliverb, and was a net improvement over the unofficial previously published version.
Version v1.0 fixed a few bugs and quirks of v0.9.
Version v1.2 provided the new Resonestor mode, improvements on the delay modes, and more bug fixes.
Version v1.3 fixes sound issues with the reverb, enhances its quality and improves the looping delay mode's reactivity.
Version v1.41 made minor tweaks to a few features (mainly to adapt it to my preferences)
Version v2.0 changes the mode-switching interface, introduces reverse grain/loop playback, improves bit depth and modulation capability of Oliverb and Resonestor, and adjusts many settings.
Version v2.01 fixes the Reverse functionality in granular mode
You can download the .wav file on the website above. Documentation is there too. It is subject to more improvements, so any suggestion, comment or criticism will be very warmly welcome.
... and if you like this work, consider donating through the page!