Music Thing 4hp sample player (old thread)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

waveglider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by waveglider » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Tom- the manual says:
Like real radio stations, the files continue to play in the background - they don't re-trigger each time you select a new station.

Does that mean that once you trigger a station, leave it, then come back- the playback position will have followed in real time and it picks up at the current position rather than the position where you left off?

stainers
mopoetrytion

Post by stainers » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Tombola wrote:
Nantonos wrote:
stainers wrote:Great looking module, perfect size. Is there anyway you can get it to keep memory of all settings after a power cycle?
How would the module know when the power was about to be switched off?
The selected bank is saved to EEPROM every time it is changed

The current station is controlled by the main knob or CV

So - when you power it down, then restart it, you generally get the same sound playing as when you left off. In long radio shows, it will restart from the beginning. It would be possible to save play position, but it would mean hammering the EEPROM a lot harder.
That's easily enough, I rarely expect the modular to sound exactly the same after turning it off but it's nice to be in the ballpark when you get back to it.

mckenic

Post by mckenic » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:37 pm

So will this be called the 'Tuning Machine'?

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:50 pm

waveglider wrote:Tom- the manual says:
Like real radio stations, the files continue to play in the background - they don't re-trigger each time you select a new station.

Does that mean that once you trigger a station, leave it, then come back- the playback position will have followed in real time and it picks up at the current position rather than the position where you left off?
Yes, that's the idea

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:17 am

getting in on this thread. looks amazing 8_)

b-art
Common Wiggler

Post by b-art » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:06 am

Tombola wrote:

Yes, that's the idea
Hmmm, is there maybe any possibility, even by custom hacking or an custom expander with some switches and a trigger in to change this setting?

I mean i really like the whole radio concept and think its awesome for long samples and recordings (conceptual yes!) but i was also planning on using it as a one-shot sampler. For various reasons.

It would be really great if it could do that too because there are not many alternatives to do that kind of simple sampling... and the modules that can do it either are very expensive/non-diy (phonogene) or have latency issues (nebulae) etc.

Sorry for what seems to be a feature request (which it is not) but i think some flexibility regarding that particular setting would boost its potential ALOT! And wonder if i could atleast then modify it to do so...

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:24 am

b-art wrote: Hmmm, is there maybe any possibility, even by custom hacking or an custom expander with some switches and a trigger in to change this setting?

Sorry for what seems to be a feature request (which it is not) but i think some flexibility regarding that particular setting would boost its potential ALOT! And wonder if i could atleast then modify it to do so...
You can probably do this - ie fill up a folder with one shot samples, choose a sample by voltage, then trigger it from the start using the reset trigger.

Would be easy enough to add a 'don't loop' option on the SD card if that turns out to be useful.

OR if you have any arduino coding chops, it's very easy to hack the firmware - you can use the normal Arduino language and upload via a USB cable

b-art
Common Wiggler

Post by b-art » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:36 am

Ahh yes ofcourse... i totally forgot about the reset function :bang: Yes the only thing then is the no-loop setting for those really short one shot samples. I have some basic experience with arduino and it's affiliates tho so i guess i'm good to go then! Thanks for the info! :banana:

101010oxo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 101010oxo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:38 pm

b-art wrote:
Tombola wrote:

Yes, that's the idea
Hmmm, is there maybe any possibility, even by custom hacking or an custom expander with some switches and a trigger in to change this setting?

I mean i really like the whole radio concept and think its awesome for long samples and recordings (conceptual yes!) but i was also planning on using it as a one-shot sampler. For various reasons.

It would be really great if it could do that too because there are not many alternatives to do that kind of simple sampling... and the modules that can do it either are very expensive/non-diy (phonogene) or have latency issues (nebulae) etc.

I respectfully disagree. I'd much rather have it as simple and straightforward as possible. Do not dilute the (imho) excellent initial idea by trying to also make it do all kind of other stuff.

:chug:

SpunRaddish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SpunRaddish » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Do we have ways to write to SD cards in modular yet as a function of sample recording? That would really be ideal for interfacing the various sampling options - though maybe this is a pipe-dream given all the file specifics in the currently available modules... It would really allow us to step away from the computer.

BTW that 20 minute sample is versatile and really awesome, it sounds like multiple recordings via the echophon.

mwvm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mwvm » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:55 pm

SpunRaddish wrote:Do we have ways to write to SD cards in modular yet as a function of sample recording? That would really be ideal for interfacing the various sampling options - though maybe this is a pipe-dream given all the file specifics in the currently available modules... It would really allow us to step away from the computer.
I 100% agree.

If I have to faff with computers then I'll sample with computers.

I want a proper sampler for eurorack

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:12 pm

can't wait! what a great design!

Thonk Support
aka Monobass

Post by Thonk Support » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Wishlist for the kit here - http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/radio-music/

Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

AS of October 2020 this account which used to go by the name of Monobass is now manned by various staff at Thonk.

PaulStoffregen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PaulStoffregen » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:40 pm

mwvm wrote: I want a proper sampler for eurorack
The Teensy Audio Library does have an example for live streaming to the SD card.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Audio ... corder.ino

Perhaps this could be used as a starting point for making such a sampler?

Whether the 12-13 bit ADC input on Teensy 3.1 could give high enough quality input is a good question? It might, if the audio signal is already bandwidth limited to under 22 kHz. But if there's any ultrasonic energy in the signal, the lack of filtering on the ADC input could result in terrible aliasing of those ultrasonic frequencies to garbage you'll hear in the playback. My guess is some of the sounds in an analog synth system may be generated by very creative means, without much post filtering to remove ultrasonic harmonics.

While you could build an elaborate analog filter before sending the signal to the ADC pin on Teensy 3.1, using a proper audio codec chip (eg, the audio adaptor board) would be much simpler. Those chips use oversampling and digital filters, which usually eliminates the need for special analog filtering of the input signal. The sound quality of dedicated ADC or codec chips is also better than the ADC built into the microcontroller.

Anyway, the underlying software support is there for streaming to the SD card, so in theory a stand alone sampler could be built.

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:31 pm

I just created a main thread for this - happy to answer any questions there so everything is in one place

Main thread for Music Thing Radio Music sample player

Return to “Music Tech DIY”