CA3080 Back in production

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

CA3080 Back in production

Post by Dave Kendall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Guys.

Looks hopeful. A guy on electro-music spotted that Rochester electronics have a new datasheet for the part dated 2013.I found a post on diystompboxes.com about it - here's an excerpt.
I've been in touch with Rochester Electronics about getting some CA3080AE ICs (8 pin DIP).  I called Intersil about this company, and a tech informed me that Intersil sold their remaining wafers and dies for the 3080 series to Rochester, so the parts are completely legit and newly manufactured. Given that every single 3080 that I've bought on ebay has been a fake (or at least not working), Rochester seems like a great alternative for this part. 

Unfortunately, the minimum order is $250.00
Fingers crossed they keep making them :)

cheers,
Dave

microtonal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by microtonal » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am

Rochester Electronics would need the masks to continue manufacturing CA3080s. Wafers and dies are just the unpackaged manufactured silicon parts, so they will eventually run out as they cut these into individual ICs.

Their CA3080AE stock shows 16K+ but it is not clear whether that accounts for all wafers and dies or whether there are more that can be packaged into DIPs.

The data sheet is just a page added to the front of the Intersil data sheet. Still, good to know there are legitimate sources.

seanpark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seanpark » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:57 pm

I ordered 4 tubes of the rochester 3080 a while back. They've all worked great, 5 wigglers tested them as well and reported no issues.

Did the guy at diystomp say what kind of pricing rochester was offering? They never responded to my RFQ.

Malekko
:super awesome ninja:

Post by Malekko » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:23 pm

They have been making them for years, they're ridiculously expensive. CA3080's aren't hard to find there are warehouses with hundreds of thousands of them..for WAY less.
for example i use DIP SMT and even CAN 3080s, i paid 7 bucks each for the can, they wanted 56.00each. I paid .14 for SMT they wanted something like 4.00ea
parasitk wrote:There are a lot of talented synth designers here, but I'm sorry to say that none of them invented the triangle.

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:58 pm

*oops - double post*
Last edited by Dave Kendall on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:59 pm

@microtonal - thanks for the clarifying info. I guess we should assume that the total number to be manufactured is limited.

@seanpark - according to the diystompboxes.com post
they're $2.50 each.

@malekko - where did you get such good deals on them? did they check out OK? There have been so many reports of fakes/duds, particularly on eBay, that buyers are understandably wary these days.

cheers,
Dave

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:31 pm

I was under assumption that you could just sub NTE996 for CA3080. :despair:

Of course, CA3080 is still a lot cheaper. So yeah, there's that. EDIT: Or are they, I'm not even sure.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Malekko wrote:They have been making them for years, they're ridiculously expensive. CA3080's aren't hard to find there are warehouses with hundreds of thousands of them..for WAY less.
for example i use DIP SMT and even CAN 3080s, i paid 7 bucks each for the can, they wanted 56.00each. I paid .14 for SMT they wanted something like 4.00ea
What warehouses?
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS/US DSM03, Erica Swamp, Mutable Instruments Sheep

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Nantonos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Nantonos » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Except for repairs to vintage equipment (where you need a pin-for-pin drop in replacement) isn't it easier to just use 1/2 LM13700 ?
ondes | current rack
I am afraid a firmware change will not be able to turn a rather expensive 16-bit DAC into a 16-bit ADC, and flip all those op-amps :)

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:28 am

^ Yes. This link addresses any lingering doubts anyone might have about functional compatibility. The differences between the 13600 and 13700 are in the output buffers, details here and as the buffers are on separate I/O pins, don't use them if you don't need them.

There are plenty of older, and some newer-designed PCBs out there (CGS, FCUK) which are laid out for 3080s, so it's good to know there is a reliable source for when you really need them.

I do hope that any new PCB designs will use the LM13700 footprint where an OTA is needed, and maybe even include SOIC pads on the component side as well as DIP placement. That will give some measure of future-proofing, and may well save people's arses some time down the line. . .

cheers,
Dave

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:20 am

Blingley wrote:I was under assumption that you could just sub NTE996 for CA3080. :despair:

Of course, CA3080 is still a lot cheaper. So yeah, there's that. EDIT: Or are they, I'm not even sure.
NTE part is just a rebadged 3080, they blacktop the chips, screen their own numbers, sell at 500% markup. NTE is a obsolete chip ripoff warehouse, avoid at all costs. They dont make anything, they just buy up as may chips as they can that go out of production and resell them

Footnote: They are not very good at it either, they dont do their homework. They will take chips that get obsoleted by one manufacture and make it into a NTE part despite the fact that 5 other big manufactures are still making the same part (I've seen this with several 4000 series CMOS part). You can always spot them at the bottom of mouser searches where there are 4 different mainstream manufactures offering the same part @ $0.79 and the NTE part at the bottom @ $4.50

Also, it's worth looking for the AE part, this is simply the 125 deg C rated part. No different but there seems to be a lot more stock of these

microtonal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by microtonal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 am

Dave Kendall wrote: I do hope that any new PCB designs will use the LM13700 footprint where an OTA is needed, and maybe even include SOIC pads on the component side as well as DIP placement. That will give some measure of future-proofing, and may well save people's arses some time down the line. . .
Good point. 1970s era equipment also used CA3080s extensively. It would be good to keep the available stock for repairs down the road.

Tim Stinchcombe
Uncommon Wiggler

Post by Tim Stinchcombe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Altitude909 wrote:NTE part is just a rebadged 3080, they blacktop the chips, screen their own numbers, sell at 500% markup. NTE is a obsolete chip ripoff warehouse, avoid at all costs.
Well, that is interesting to hear! I have a module I'm working on now which has an NTE chip where I'd normally expect to see a 3080, and as it is clearly blacktopped, I assumed there was something very dodgy about it. I'm almost tempted to remove the blacktopping to see if they bother removing the original 3080 markings...

Tim

mosheen
Common Wiggler

Post by mosheen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Dave Kendall wrote: I do hope that any new PCB designs will use the LM13700 footprint where an OTA is needed, and maybe even include SOIC pads on the component side as well as DIP placement. That will give some measure of future-proofing, and may well save people's arses some time down the line. . .
I'd imagine an adapter on some riser pins would be helpful for 3080 format boards that are being retrofitted to 13700 chips. Which makes me wonder if this has been done already, and if not we should design an adapter and open source it. It could probably even be single sided for those who want to make their own.

seanpark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seanpark » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:32 pm

I will be doing a 3080 group buy for the recent rochester AE suffix in the new year. Target price is under $2 which should be fine as I got 200 for $2 each earlier this year.

bernd.wender
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bernd.wender » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 am

seanpark wrote:I will be doing a 3080 group buy for the recent rochester AE suffix in the new year. Target price is under $2 which should be fine as I got 200 for $2 each earlier this year.
Sean, could you please edit your OP in the group buy thread. Last update is from August. Good to hear that this group buy will happen in early 2014.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”