the Dog of Tears ALBUM /// Charsey Chicken Soup

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

the Dog of Tears ALBUM /// Charsey Chicken Soup

Post by dogoftears » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:15 pm

the 1st ever official long-playing DOG OF TEARS ALBUM is now available.
it is entitled “Charsey Chicken Soup” ----- it is mastered by our own Gregg Janman of Hermetech Mastering, a.k.a. Babaluma.

you can download it for free here:
active meditation music
in wave, flac, or alac.

i am also making a limited edition CD release. there will be 200 hand signed and numbered copies each with unique hand-painted packaging. i will make an appropriate thread in BST when they are ready-- if you would like to reserve one, however, please email me: dog AT xexify DOT com /////

this album features 7 pieces in the style of psychedelic trance. it makes heavy use of the BugBrand modular system for many of the sounds, including most of the basses, kicks, and percussion. notable roles were also played by the Ciat-Lonbarde Sidrassi and Tetrax Akihabra, Elektron A4 and Machinedrum, Oberheim SEM, Blacet/Wiard Frac, et al. Most of the sequencing and much of the effects were done with the Elektron Octatrack. The Overstayer Instrument Driver is used on most of the basslines. arrangement and recording was done with Logic.

this has been a long time in the making! an essentially fully modular analog psy-trance album, i promise you a one-of-a-kind listening experience. please check it out. here are the full liner notes:

01. Bob
02. Timebomb Trance*
03. Lark
04. Rainbow San Pedro
05. Charsey Chess Club International
06. Panopticon
07. Nooner

©2013 david chaim cohen // xexify music
xexify.com / dog AT xexify DOT com
mastered by Gregg Janman @ Hermetech Mastering
hermetechmastering.com
*see also: Meat Beat Manfiesto- Timebomb Dub

art by david chaim cohen, photographed by leon brauer, assistance by diana garcia

thanks to: goa gil, adam somers, sean price, dylan and quasar, yuliya rashkovskaya, greg mubali, david cinder, boris kashi puri, lalith rao, megan young, patricia karolina salinas, toni latimer, rick and beth, dudu, tom bugs, gene schwartz/ancient eyeball recipe/nelson baboon, don @ elektron, sergey enichkin, dmitri church of serge, renee verdier, yarden skeptych/pangea, babaluma, peter blasser/ciat-lonbarde, betzy bromberg, sandy ding, aaron catalyx, diana garcia, mikey elliot, leon brauer.

please enjoy this free Dog of Tears album in lossless or wave quality. if you choose to distribute it, please keep it lossless! join the war against the degradation of media standards in our society.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

gobobog
Common Wiggler

Post by gobobog » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Well done! :tu: :yay:

Sounds way cooler than any trance I've ever heard.

Thanks for sharing!

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:53 pm

gobobog wrote:Well done! :tu: :yay:

Sounds way cooler than any trance I've ever heard.

Thanks for sharing!
thanks!

i guess you might classify it as “experimental trance”

or

“dogtrance"
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:22 am

Was a pleasure to work on this! Really worth the download, and it's free, so check it out people!

slovo
Care Bear of Fury

Post by slovo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 am

Really looking forward to listen to this, thanks for the hookup!

Nice cover art, btw.
(ignatius) "it's like Point Break meets Schindler's List"
AIRSEA - Creepy noises to protest air pollution

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 pm

slovo wrote:Really looking forward to listen to this, thanks for the hookup!

Nice cover art, btw.
Thanks! The painting will be cut down into 4x4" squares and glued to the covers of digipacks for the CD release.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 am

Great stuff! I wish I could play it LOUD in my stupid little baboon apt.

But Dave continues to defy me and put kick drums on all of his tracks. I can't dance in my apt without knocking things over.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Imagine how it sounded outdoors on a 20kW Funktion-One stack at Goa Gil's birthday bash a couple of weeks ago, would love to have heard that!!!

:banana: :banana: :bacon: :bacon: :nana: :bacon: :bacon: :banana: :banana:

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Babaluma wrote:Imagine how it sounded outdoors on a 20kW Funktion-One stack at Goa Gil's birthday bash a couple of weeks ago, would love to have heard that!!!

:banana: :banana: :bacon: :bacon: :nana: :bacon: :bacon: :banana: :banana:
how bout out of funktion 1 and into gil's camera mic? ::::

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

demoniac
Learning to Wiggle

Post by demoniac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 am

Thank you guys for the support! David is an amazing artist & person!
Feel free to checkout our other releases at Active Meditation Music
http://www.activemeditationmusic.com/

:goo:

dmitri
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmitri » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:20 pm

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:35 pm

dmitri wrote:DOG OF TEARS! FTW !
:bacon: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar: :bacon: :hail: :hail: 8_) 8_) 8_)

http://www.activemeditationmusic.com/in ... icle&id=65
shit how did you find this documentation of the secret Xexify meeting?!

you will have to be properly debriefed. report to Room 101 immediately.

rec.Koner
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:11 am

Awesome music! :banana: :banana: :sb:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:22 am

i'm still loving it, please keep spreading the word everyone! have found a lot of people seem to get a bit turned off when you mention "psy trance", but this is probably as far away from hallucinogen as you could get, whilst still being within genre spec.

i love the analogueness, and i love the industrial/almost metal nature of the overall sound and aesthetic. dave, i would love to hear your take on an electronic godflesh (all slowed down!)

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:22 am

I love dogoftears' stuff, and if anyone ever asked me how it sounded I'm not sure psu trance is what I'd say... Can't wait to check this- ill be back!

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:22 pm

call it 7 electronic, experimental modular pieces in the style of trance then :party:

i like to think of my tunes as the happy meeting ground between wiggler madness and acid-inspired dance music.

thanks for the nice comments so far... so much work went into this album and it's really nice to get any feedback from a larger audience!

the CD packages are looking mighty fine but of course taking longer than i expected... will post a picture soon.

kuxaan-sum
best wiggler ever!

Post by kuxaan-sum » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Finally got around to jamming first half of this today during a walk to the store...cripes...this is fucking awesome!!!

Love all of it thus far. Hope to get the 2nd half in tomorrow.

:tu:

Curious if you are willing to share recording / tracking / triggering / syncing etc details. Also curious what you did as a prep for tracking/mastering for Gregg.
the road to the sky leading to the umbilical cord of the universe...
kuxaan-sum
Space
Cloud
Tape
Tube

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:31 am

i will just say that dave tracks and mixes with loudness in mind, you'll have to ask him how and why, but i don't think i clipped the ADC, or limited more than about 2dB on any of these tracks. they're pretty loud in the end, but we've managed to keep enough dynamics/punch/crest factor so that it still sounds hi-fi.

kuxaan-sum
best wiggler ever!

Post by kuxaan-sum » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks Gregg,

My next release will not be (I promised myself) mix/mastered for loudness.

I am more curious about separating tracks, submixes, buses, routings, etc....
all the stuff I hate doing and which ultimately leads to limited amount of "recordings" on my part.

I thought Dave was a sort of live modular psy-t guy.
Curious if the recordings were multi-tracked, edits or both.

All the little snippets/breaks/fills/arps/googilyblips are tightly synced and sound awesome.
kuxaan-sum
Space
Cloud
Tape
Tube

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:25 pm

kuxaan-sum wrote:Finally got around to jamming first half of this today during a walk to the store...cripes...this is fucking awesome!!!

Curious if you are willing to share recording / tracking / triggering / syncing etc details. Also curious what you did as a prep for tracking/mastering for Gregg.
hey thanks for the nice comments! I'd be happy to share some details about the production process.

Everything is sync'd via an Innerclock Synclock box. This box changed my life, i recommend it for any one doing DAW-clock based composition. The midi generated from the Synclock is usually spat at my Octatrack, which then sends data around the room to be magically turned into music or somesuch. I have one remaining Euro module, a Vermona QMi, which I use to sequence the modular extensively via the OT.

Almost every track starts by making a kick drum... usually with a Bugbrand quadrature oscillator. Then a bass line. Usually also with the modular but for sure on Timebomb Trance the bass (and kick) was made with the Elektron A4.

The bass and kick will become samples in my OT, often I have a full bass "kit" of different notes and envelope lengths so I can bring in some variation without having to do sample processing (although OT is quite good at that!)....

Then I have to sift through sonic ideas. My favorite is to make crazy complex lead patches on the modular, usually using a combination of OT and Bug sequencing resources. I never sequence from Logic-- always the OT. can't remember the last time I used a piano roll editor, yuck.

I go through an extensive tracking phase, just building up 3 or 4 sections that I know will fit together as a piece. Most of the percussion is programmed from an extensive Bugbrand percussion kit I made last year-- so many of the hi hats, snares, bells, bongos, and other random percs are actually additive sounds I designed on the Bug. On Rainbow San Pedro and Panopticon I was also still using the Machinedrum before I sold it.

Only once I've finished tracking, at least 95%-- meaning all that remains is stuff like barline sounds (crashes, samples, etc) and momentary over dubs, only then do i move on to the delicate mixing and editing period of the production phase. My Logic arrangements are usually between 50 and 80 channels of audio, and I go nuts with the scissor tool, adding creative bar line/build up events, cutting out bits of leads and percussions that dont work, replacing them with parts that do work, and all the while working the levels and adding a plug in here and there to balance the mix. It is usually 90% mixed by the time I'm done editing. I also work pretty hard to make sure it doesn't sound terribly "glitchy" despite all my edits-- glitch is not my style!

Then mixing probably takes the longest! It can take weeks, I have to play the track out 1 or 2 times usually before I can get the mix to where I want it, it's tough! But I work it, work it, work it, until honestly it sounds DAMN GOOD-- as in 95% of the way towards how i want it to sound, even without mastering. I always normalize my mixes with no compression/limiting and test it in the car, to see how just the unmastered/normal'd mix sounds. My mixes are fairly complex, I try to use as few plugs as possible but there are little dabs of track and buss comp/EQ all over the place, but over the years I've figured out how to use very little compression and still get a very loud sound. I am also obsessed with peaks and literally wont let any thing exist more than a decibel or two higher than the average levels of the mix. So by the time I send it to Gregg for mastering, it's already reaching -10 or -11 RMS without any mastering, just normalization. This is great for him, he doesn't have to focus so much on making it LOUD-- 2 or 3 dB of compression will essentially take it there, which most of us agree is about the limit of what can be done transparently with mastering.

It also gives him lots of room to work with EQ and sonic detail-- Gregg was able to bring out a really beautiful mid range in my mixes! I don't think I've heard any one elses trance release with as much sonic detail and richness in the mids.

Any how, i think this is enough info for now, though I'd be happy to share more, I can go on forever... :party:

bom bolenat! :rastanana:

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

dogoftears wrote:
kuxaan-sum wrote:Finally got around to jamming first half of this today during a walk to the store...cripes...this is fucking awesome!!!

hey thanks for the nice comments! I'd be happy to share some details about the production process.

Everything is sync'd via an Innerclock Synclock box. This box changed my life, i recommend it for any one doing DAW-clock based composition. The midi generated from the Synclock is usually spat at my Octatrack, which then sends data around the room to be magically turned into music or somesuch. I have one remaining Euro module, a Vermona QMi, which I use to sequence the modular extensively via the OT.

Almost every track starts by making a kick drum... usually with a Bugbrand quadrature oscillator. Then a bass line. Usually also with the modular but for sure on Timebomb Trance the bass (and kick) was made with the Elektron A4.

The bass and kick will become samples in my OT, often I have a full bass "kit" of different notes and envelope lengths so I can bring in some variation without having to do sample processing (although OT is quite good at that!)....

Then I have to sift through sonic ideas. My favorite is to make crazy complex lead patches on the modular, usually using a combination of OT and Bug sequencing resources. I never sequence from Logic-- always the OT. can't remember the last time I used a piano roll editor, yuck.

I go through an extensive tracking phase, just building up 3 or 4 sections that I know will fit together as a piece. Most of the percussion is programmed from an extensive Bugbrand percussion kit I made last year-- so many of the hi hats, snares, bells, bongos, and other random percs are actually additive sounds I designed on the Bug. On Rainbow San Pedro and Panopticon I was also still using the Machinedrum before I sold it.

Only once I've finished tracking, at least 95%-- meaning all that remains is stuff like barline sounds (crashes, samples, etc) and momentary over dubs, only then do i move on to the delicate mixing and editing period of the production phase. My Logic arrangements are usually between 50 and 80 channels of audio, and I go nuts with the scissor tool, adding creative bar line/build up events, cutting out bits of leads and percussions that dont work, replacing them with parts that do work, and all the while working the levels and adding a plug in here and there to balance the mix. It is usually 90% mixed by the time I'm done editing. I also work pretty hard to make sure it doesn't sound terribly "glitchy" despite all my edits-- glitch is not my style!

Then mixing probably takes the longest! It can take weeks, I have to play the track out 1 or 2 times usually before I can get the mix to where I want it, it's tough! But I work it, work it, work it, until honestly it sounds DAMN GOOD-- as in 95% of the way towards how i want it to sound, even without mastering. I always normalize my mixes with no compression/limiting and test it in the car, to see how just the unmastered/normal'd mix sounds. My mixes are fairly complex, I try to use as few plugs as possible but there are little dabs of track and buss comp/EQ all over the place, but over the years I've figured out how to use very little compression and still get a very loud sound. I am also obsessed with peaks and literally wont let any thing exist more than a decibel or two higher than the average levels of the mix. So by the time I send it to Gregg for mastering, it's already reaching -10 or -11 RMS without any mastering, just normalization. This is great for him, he doesn't have to focus so much on making it LOUD-- 2 or 3 dB of compression will essentially take it there, which most of us agree is about the limit of what can be done transparently with mastering.

It also gives him lots of room to work with EQ and sonic detail-- Gregg was able to bring out a really beautiful mid range in my mixes! I don't think I've heard any one elses trance release with as much sonic detail and richness in the mids.

Any how, i think this is enough info for now, though I'd be happy to share more, I can go on forever... :party:

bom bolenat! :rastanana:
word

:zen:

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:33 pm

kuxaan-sum wrote:Thanks Gregg,

My next release will not be (I promised myself) mix/mastered for loudness.

I am more curious about separating tracks, submixes, buses, routings, etc....
all the stuff I hate doing and which ultimately leads to limited amount of "recordings" on my part.

I thought Dave was a sort of live modular psy-t guy.
Curious if the recordings were multi-tracked, edits or both.

All the little snippets/breaks/fills/arps/googilyblips are tightly synced and sound awesome.
yeah, i mean i do big chunks of getting maybe 2 leads and a percs bit in one take, cus i like to jam, but it is always recorded as separate tracks, and often the overdubs are just one sound at a time-- like "okay you need this kind of lead" pull all the patch cords out of the bug, start from scratch, make that lead, record it, then "okay you need an atmo" pull out patch cords, start from scratch, make an atmo/pad patch, record it, then "okay you need a snare" (then there goes the rest of the day...) etc.

i don't know how i feel about this expression "mixing for loudness"... i just think of it as making a tight as hell mix that should be easy to master, contain microdynamics, and not suffer from huge peaks that are gonna suck up all yr mastering compression.

vasculator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vasculator » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm

the sound quality on this is top-notch. well done all around.

i also agree that the Innerclock gear is life-changing. and fuck a piano roll. MIDI sequencing on the OT is wonderful.

kuxaan-sum
best wiggler ever!

Post by kuxaan-sum » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Sweet!

Thanks for the in depth explanation, details and notes.
This would explain the details and awesome quality in the production.

Great job! I listened to the whole thing today with headphones...as far as it being loud = ??
I don't think it was too loud. I mean, I suffered no fatigue that sometimes happens with certain tracks/music.

You certainly have your system down and it works! Whether it was the mix or Gregg or the combo = :hail: :hail:

It is inherently dynamic still and clear with a spaciousness that left me zoning out on all the sounds.

I wish I had the time and patience...I am more of a record all tracks in one take and fret over mistakes made in tracking. :bang: Start over.
Once fed up with takes I then spend weeks trying to work out levels only to find I have thrown compression over everything to the point that I don't like it. :doh:

I use a SyncGen ii Pro but have yet to record a complete track with modular and elektron/acidlab/other gear. :waah:
I spend all my time noodling/wiggling... :despair:

I will pass on your info to some local DJ friends...they will love your work.
:party: :goo: :sb:
kuxaan-sum
Space
Cloud
Tape
Tube

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:05 am

kuxaan-sum wrote:You certainly have your system down and it works! Whether it was the mix or Gregg or the combo = :hail: :hail:
Mastering rarely adds more than about 5% with good source material, so it's all down to Dave. ;)

Return to “Your Tunes Here”