Thilges 3 and their modular synth wizardry

Discuss the music that you love to hear.
Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Thilges 3 and their modular synth wizardry

Post by Etan »

Hi,

Im new to this forum, very glad that Ive found you. Im into modulars for quite some time thanks to this Thilges 3 group.

For me they represent one of the best examples of using modular synthesizer to its fullest potential but they have also pushed this limits far beyond anything Ive ever heard. Im still waiting to hear anything close to their modular craziness.

I was very surprised that on this forum with all this modular enthusiasts there is not a single topic on them.

Anybody knows them?

Here is a short video from their earlier period (in german)

[video][/video]
Last edited by Etan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan »

No one?

They are austrian trio (later also duo) active somewhere from 1996 (???) to 2007 active in the area of sound art and social acoustics experiments.

They have worked solely with doepfer modular in their earlier work. They had this big system onstage patched into one big working patch. All three members would interact with it and creating majestic evolving highly controlled sound structures.

Also they have worked in quadrophonic sound space so you could walk around the venue and the sound morphed giving whole new dimension to the music.

You should check their recorded live performances. They are released in a cd series, I strongly recommend checking at least the ones called Rosner, Saumarkt and Hackerbrucke, all record live with this giant Doepfer system (on rosner I think there is also moog prodigy involved)

Later the have taken completely different path in their work. They started to work with and Iranian oud player and Iranian female singer and incorporating their highly unusual sound with Iranian music.
You can hear a song from their latest album here, amazing synth work:
[video][/video]

Again, this is their later work, earlier works mentioned above (Rosner, Saumarkt...) are completely different in sound and concept. Also in their earlier era they have done some quite interesting performances in public spaces mainly with modular synths.
Once they used the sounds of 2000 living crickets and processed them with doepfer modular as the only sound source of their composition.

Or in 2006 as an artist in residence in Berlin they have created huge experimental Trautonium instrument (five 6U racks) with a help of Dieter Doepfer who customized some of the modules.

Here is their website, where you can find out more about their projects: http://www.gammon.at/thilges/
Last edited by Etan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan »

Here you can listen all of their live performances released as a CD series. They are using only big Doepfer system and sometimes also Moog Prodigy for these ones.

My fave performances are Hackerbrucke, Rosner, Saumarkt and Studio Amman.

http://www.gammon.at/gammon/index.php/music/cd-serie
crystal hell pool
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crystal hell pool »

i love thilges 3, i found them through staubgold. also hyped on reuber, klangwart. i was hoping to one day get some of their home made releases
radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams »

thanks for pointing this out - sounds good !
construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 »

Yes, thanks
Enjoying this
Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan »

Two of the members are playing synths (Doepfer and Moog Prodigy) in a band called Metalycee which is some weird avantgarde metal-jazz-noise kind of a thing with very memorable singer.

[video][/video]
crystal hell pool wrote:i love thilges 3, i found them through staubgold. also hyped on reuber, klangwart. i was hoping to one day get some of their home made releases
I have quite alot of stuff from them, but would kill to get works like Instant Living, Komm.fort and performances like Synagogue, Club Transmediale, Container park, Grosse Studios Kleine Sampler and especially Brunnen. They are nowhere to be found, so please if anyone has something from these mentioned stuff I would greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by Etan on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaft9000
wait, what?

Post by shaft9000 »

their Die Offene Gesellschaft album is on Spotify, at least
enjoying the track "Justizanstalt Feldkirch" here right now thanks
crystal hell pool
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crystal hell pool »

I remember the a-musik shop had a bunch in the store when i was there, but that was awhile ago
Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan »

shaft9000 wrote:their Die Offene Gesellschaft album is on Spotify, at least
enjoying the track "Justizanstalt Feldkirch" here right now thanks
Yes, love this album. It was partially recorded live at various places such as prison, kindergarden, monastery, retirement home... The song you are mentioning and the one from kindergarden called KiBe are really something...
crystal hell pool wrote:I remember the a-musik shop had a bunch in the store when i was there, but that was awhile ago
Many thanks for this. Looks like a great record shop.
And I actually managed to find this one compilation from their Tesla Berlin residency where they have built this giant Trautonium instrument with a hellp of Dieter Doepfer who did some custom modifications of the modules. Cant wait to hear this...
Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan »

If anyone is interested, here is a piece Thilges made for artist residency at Tesla Berlin in 2006 where they made giant trautonium instrument with the help of Dieter Doepfer who has done some custom modifications.

Translated from german:
Werkstatt_klangapparate 2: thilges trautonium
Sound Performance with Nik Hummer and Gammon

The tone of the instrument incur through the mixture
subharmonic oscillations, they are effectively four sounds from
Undertones. thilges realized this principle as the Installation
Oscillators and speakers. Thereby produce the tone you
based on a 4-fold-harmonic, ie by 4 four sounds. Unlike
than the Sala'schen Trautonium the mixtures do not arise within
the apparatus, but by multi-channel sound in the listening room. The
Determined spatial behavior of correlated sounds
the tone. The venue is part of the apparatus. In
Thilges explored part of their two-month project, the residence
sonic possibilities of the 4-fold sub-harmonics. In their
Performance
Record the spatial instrument in a mixture of
Composition and improvisation.
I have found two extracts from this Thilges piece in Zoviet France mix series called A Duck In A Tree.

You can hear first part starting at 41 minute in this mix:

and the second part starting at the 14.20 min in this second mix:

Here are some pictures of the instrument:

This piece was released on the DVD:
http://www.jazzloft.com/p-50496-tesla.aspx
Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan »

Another extract from one of their more late recordings made for a dance piece, hope you don't mind.

All music in this piece made with their giant Doepfer modular in quadraphonic sound. Skip to minute 8 for some modular synth madness.

And yes, the singing parts are actually Joy Division covers (Heart and Soul, Atrocity...).

[video][/video]

Return to “Artist Discussion”