G8 clock divider circuit abbey

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Alwaysnew
Wiggling with Experience

G8 clock divider circuit abbey

Post by Alwaysnew » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Two questions:

- when turned off and back on, does it remember which program it was on?
- does it divide like a160 or like the rcd+expander?

Thanks!

crossinger
Wiggling with Experience

Re: G8 clock divider circuit abbey

Post by crossinger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Alwaysnew wrote: - when turned off and back on, does it remember which program it was on?
No
Alwaysnew wrote: - does it divide like a160 or like the rcd+expander?
What exactly do you mean? It can do the same divisions as the A-160 and RCD. You can't rotate the divisions. And the gate mode is always "musical" (gate "up" at clock start) unlike the A-160.

Alwaysnew
Wiggling with Experience

Re: G8 clock divider circuit abbey

Post by Alwaysnew » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 pm

crossinger wrote:
Alwaysnew wrote: - when turned off and back on, does it remember which program it was on?
No
Alwaysnew wrote: - does it divide like a160 or like the rcd+expander?
What exactly do you mean? It can do the same divisions as the A-160 and RCD. You can't rotate the divisions. And the gate mode is always "musical" (gate "up" at clock start) unlike the A-160.
Yeah that's what I was after. I sold my a160 because of the "un-musical" beats it made!

Too bad it doesn't remember the mode though, I try to avoid modules I can't just turn off, leave for a while, turn back on and have everything the same as when I left.

cger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:40 pm

What does rotation really do in RCD? I'm trying to decide between RCD and G8. I only care about musical use of a clock divider.

wbuttler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wbuttler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:33 pm

cger wrote:What does rotation really do in RCD? I'm trying to decide between RCD and G8. I only care about musical use of a clock divider.
Download the RCD manual - it explains it better than I can in a post.

I don't find rotation all that useful, but I do like the ability to spread divisions across the 8 outputs to get wider variation. You need the separate breakout module though.

I just got a G8. The different modes are great - the first mode is the same as the A-160, but "musical". Not remembering the last mode used is a PITA, just like the uscale. As I have 2 uscales and a G8, switching on the modular is a bit like booting up a computer - I have to set up 3 modules before it sounds right. Hopefully a new version of both modules will remember the last mode (one day!).

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 pm

wbuttler wrote:
cger wrote:What does rotation really do in RCD? I'm trying to decide between RCD and G8. I only care about musical use of a clock divider.
Download the RCD manual - it explains it better than I can in a post.

I don't find rotation all that useful, but I do like the ability to spread divisions across the 8 outputs to get wider variation. You need the separate breakout module though.

I just got a G8. The different modes are great - the first mode is the same as the A-160, but "musical". Not remembering the last mode used is a PITA, just like the uscale. As I have 2 uscales and a G8, switching on the modular is a bit like booting up a computer - I have to set up 3 modules before it sounds right. Hopefully a new version of both modules will remember the last mode (one day!).
Yeah... I was seriously considering getting the G8, but now that I know it needs to be re-set every time you power the case on: I am not getting it. It really is a design flaw in my opinion.

Abraxis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Abraxis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:18 am

I find that somewhat annoying too, but tolerable if there are just a couple of modules that do that. Currently for me it's just the uScale and the G8 and I find that pretty manageable.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”