ALREADY HAVING MS-20 mini ISSUES!!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

ALREADY HAVING MS-20 mini ISSUES!!

Post by dopefiend »

Guys, those of you who have already taken delivery of your 'minis, please check them for the following quirk:

Close the LPF, then maximize the amount of EG2 modulation on it, then crank the Sustain of EG2 to max...then see what happens.

I already own three of these; 2 I got from Japan, one from 8th St Music here in USA, and they all have the same issue. Funny, because I also bought an old, original one from Japan, and it has exactly the same damn problem!!
Now, mind you, it is not that big of a deal... I can just patch EG1 into either filter and/or the VCA and everything will sustain for fucking-ever, but it is still NOT the behavior I was expecting from them!! :mad: :bang:

I wanna know what your experiences are so far with these little fuckers... :hmm:
Malekko
:super awesome ninja:

Post by Malekko »

My initial knee jerk reaction is: If you have three new ones and one old one that do the same thing it isn't an "issue" it's the way it's designed.
parasitk wrote:There are a lot of talented synth designers here, but I'm sorry to say that none of them invented the triangle.
Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola »

You have four MS20s?
machetemirage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by machetemirage »

This video demonstrated the behavior long before the initial shipments rolled out:

[video][/video]

So, nothing to worry about.
xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando »

Malekko wrote:My initial knee jerk reaction is: If you have three new ones and one old one that do the same thing it isn't an "issue" it's the way it's designed.
this
WTB:
Bugbrand (banana) - SYN2C, CTL2, ENV1
XROM (for the XBase09)
dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend »

Well, then......it is still an issue!
I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned by Gordon Reid in his SOS review...
dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend »

And I also wonder if all other vintage MS-20's have the same quirk... Anybody know this?
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod »

how is the noise level on your mini? I'm finding mine to be pretty hissy/noisy.
dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend »

Kingnimrod wrote:how is the noise level on your mini? I'm finding mine to be pretty hissy/noisy.
It's not nearly as noisy as my old one. The sound is also brighter, and it has a real ballsy low end. It is actually a lovely instrument, notwithstanding the aforementioned weirdness...
recompas
Voice of Saturn

Post by recompas »

I would venture that the brighter/ballsier sounds are due to new/better electrolytic caps... The old ones might well have sounded that way when they were new as well :)

I'm really happy with mine. I do seem to possibly be having a weird little psu quirk I can't verify just yet. Seems like sometimes it doesn't turn on? I need to sit down and do more testing and check out the wallwart, which is probably the issue. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
astroschnautzer

Post by astroschnautzer »

does the software also do this?
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod »

I'm OK on the noise "if normal."

If I turn VCOs all the way down, open the filters, and just hit the keys I get what amounts to a white noise/hiss sound.

You guys getting the same? I've never played with an original so I don't have a point of comparison aside from a minibrute and slim phatty, which have relatively zero noise compared to this.
dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend »

Kingnimrod wrote:I'm OK on the noise "if normal."

If I turn VCOs all the way down, open the filters, and just hit the keys I get what amounts to a white noise/hiss sound.

You guys getting the same? I've never played with an original so I don't have a point of comparison aside from a minibrute and slim phatty, which have relatively zero noise compared to this.
Same here, but when I crank up the Q in the filters so that they self-resonate the noise will be muffled by the loud sine waves coming from the filters.
lmgrovllum
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lmgrovllum »

dopefiend wrote:And I also wonder if all other vintage MS-20's have the same quirk... Anybody know this?
Same thing on my original MS-20. I thought it was a neat feature rather than an "issue", definitely provides some fun...

RE: Noise level - you can definitely hear when the filter opens and closes and nothing is going through it, as well as some soft noise when the input is cranked. Not as clean as other synths but that's how I like it... :bacon: :bacon: :bacon:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch »

MS-20s are notoriously noisy. It's all part of the charm.
We need the truth to agree this agreement
Klaus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Klaus »

I'm having issues with my 808. It dosen't sound like real drums!
authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless »

Klaus wrote:I'm having issues with my 808. It dosen't sound like real drums!
I will do you a solid: I have a Yamaha RX5, you would swear that you had a real drum set on your recordings - I will trade you.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

:yay:
Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock »

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:MS-20s are notoriously noisy. It's all part of the charm.
Even the Frostwave Resonator MS-20 filter clone was noisy, and they said it's just part of the design.
I like noise. :despair:
sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria »

Jason Brock wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:MS-20s are notoriously noisy. It's all part of the charm.
Even the Frostwave Resonator MS-20 filter clone was noisy, and they said it's just part of the design.
I like noise. :despair:
Did I hear someone say noise gate?
wtb: silence
Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff »

Re: envelope quirk, the MS-10 does the same thing (which I guess shouldn't be surprising). I always thought mine was broken! Funny this quirk doesn't come up more given how popular these are.
odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron »

im no technician but i reckon they're probably fucked, send all 3 of them to me, ill take the issue off your hands :razz:
apfEID
electro-vivisection

Post by apfEID »

If this is a known quirk of the design and present in old and new, maybe a good idea to edit the title of this thread to something less inflammatory, eh?
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/
GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver »

:yay:
cat6batch
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cat6batch »

astroschnautzer wrote:does the software also do this?
Good point

Return to “General Gear”