hertz donut audio (now with more audio)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

jonkull
Lowest Common Denominator Patcher

Post by jonkull » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:please check it and report your thoughts. your donut behaves like that?
My HD crackles like that too. Just do what I do...drown it in layers of reverb. You won't hear it anymore. :hihi:

To be honest though yours doesn't sound so bad. I think mine is noisier.
If only someone would invent a synth that would allow the end user to determine the functionality. You could pick which functions were important to you in 'modules'. A 'modular', if you will. - Stretta

Mr White
always folding something...

Post by Mr White » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm

jonkull wrote:My HD crackles like that too. Just do what I do...drown it in layers of reverb. You won't hear it anymore.
I supposed you done it that way in your demo because it's perfectly hided! :yay:
even in the mix you dont hear it as much. using it only on the FM terrain is almost ok, I use it mainly that way but listen to the second demo...
jonkull wrote: To be honest though yours doesn't sound so bad. I think mine is noisier.
fuck, really? :huh:

but I have a badier one here,
no tracking mode selected playing some notes wit an envelope controlling modulator amount on fm the primary.

that's a little more scary
Attachments
donut test02.mp3
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

jonkull
Lowest Common Denominator Patcher

Post by jonkull » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Sounds 'normal'. I have family visiting and they're sleeping in the room with the modular. After they're gone (tomorrow) I'll record mine for a comparison.
If only someone would invent a synth that would allow the end user to determine the functionality. You could pick which functions were important to you in 'modules'. A 'modular', if you will. - Stretta

Mr White

Post by Mr White » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:40 pm

would be cool.

so do you think that psu grounding is relevant for this glitches?

because I dont, :despair: and I'm curious about it...

thanks for your time jonkull, I dont know if I'm happy or not but you helped me so much! :hihi:
Last edited by Mr White on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm

i went back and listened to the cracklin' demo i did a few weeks ago, it sounds the same as all the others...it's not a power supply problem, that's what they sound like...

NV
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NV » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:46 pm

I don't imagine a PSU grounding issue would produce artifacts like that. Aside from the usual hum and noise, grounding issues will sometimes promote crosstalk or bleed but it's usually from another oscillator with a distinct pitch and can be tracked down fairly easily. The AFG has a tendency to do this for example, and the Frequensteiner has a tendency to pick it up.

Just to be a dick, I actually like the "dirt" I hear in your demos. It gives it a faintly lo-fi quality that I find very appealing.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:42 pm

those examples sound pretty normal to me too. nothing to do with the doepfer diy power supplies - they're fine. i use two of them without issue with any make of module. the hertz donut is just a slightly lo-fi sounding module in some respects i think.

sandy

Terby
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Terby » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
jonkull wrote:My HD crackles like that too. Just do what I do...drown it in layers of reverb. You won't hear it anymore.
I supposed you done it that way in your demo because it's perfectly hided! :yay:
even in the mix you dont hear it as much. using it only on the FM terrain is almost ok, I use it mainly that way but listen to the second demo...
jonkull wrote: To be honest though yours doesn't sound so bad. I think mine is noisier.
fuck, really? :huh:

but I have a badier one here,
no tracking mode selected playing some notes wit an envelope controlling modulator amount on fm the primary.

that's a little more scary

call me weird, but I think what you're hearing as "wrong" sounds kinda awesome.

Mr White

Post by Mr White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:01 am

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:that's what they sound like...

...they sound like crap.

that's what I intended before for disappointed expectations.

but I need to explain myself better:
the concept is great, cool features, cool layout, cool graphics, "the harvestman" stamped on, but talking about sound quality I was expecting that of the first demo we heard, did you remember?... :roll:
Terby wrote: call me weird, but I think what you're hearing as "wrong" sounds kinda awesome.
hey, no problem with the sound (intended as kind of sound) of the donut, I find it really awesome too, but be serious, we are talking about this: http://soundcloud.com/harvestman/hzdfmtest1
ABSOLUTELY NO GLITCHES. this, is awesome! ...I was expecting that.

no problem with aliasing, 12bit resolution and so on, I'm referring specifically to pitch glitches and inconsistencies that seems common on all units, listen to my second demo. I posted it because I would had been happy do discover I had a faulty unit...

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:38 am

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:that's what they sound like...

...they sound like crap.

that's what I intended before for disappointed expectations.

but I need to explain myself better:
the concept is great, cool features, cool layout, cool graphics, "the harvestman" stamped on, but talking about sound quality I was expecting that of the first demo we heard, did you remember?... :roll:
i'm just trying to help, to point out it isn't the power supply...i posted the demo of the clicking sounds in response to another forum member and to give a heads up to others who were considering a purchase...sorry if that's a problem for you...

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 am

Due to popular demand I've revamped the FM scheme and tracked down some internal sources of noise responsible for the "clicking" behavior (i call it fret buzz). A big part of it is due to the "unconventional" manner that I used to generate the square wave outputs - if these are disabled under the new rules then the crackling vanishes under all areas of modulation. So, holding down the mod dest button toggles the activity of the sqr outs. If you want them on but don't mind a little crackle, hold it down for a second. Do it again and they turn off, but things are nice and clean again. If you want the square outputs on without crackle, I can't help you with that.

So, I'm finishing up the fine details of the new firmware and then I can start taking units in for the upgrade. No component replacement is necessary, so it will only cost you return postage to have it performed ($8 US, $15 world). Since all I have to do is take the module out of the shipping container, plug it in, upload new firmware, and re-calibrate before re-sealing and returning, I can offer an extremely short turnaround time on this operation compared to other repairs or upgrades. Stay tuned to theharvestman.org for details and a printable work request form to facilitate your module upgrade.

apfEID
electro-vivisection

Post by apfEID » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 am

nice! now I'm interested in this module again!
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/

Mr White

Post by Mr White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:55 am

Chuck E. Jesus wrote: i'm just trying to help, to point out it isn't the power supply...i posted the demo of the clicking sounds in response to another forum member and to give a heads up to others who were considering a purchase...sorry if that's a problem for you...

you misunderstood me chuck, you helped me so much with your considerations, really! :smile:

jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jenamu6 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 am

Fuck, that's great.....Already ordered mine

@governor blacksnake

Any idea if the Schneiders buro modules are already updated?

Might have to cancel the order if not.
My music streaming:

My youtube modular music movies:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

Mr White

Post by Mr White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 am

@ Governor Blacksnake

nice to hear all of this!

but for us overseas sending it back to you and back again would result in a lot of taxes... :cry:

...I dont mind so much the square outputs, so, if I follow that procedure you told, other waves are clean? and I dont have to send it back?
or this is a new function implemented in the new firmware!? :cry:
Last edited by Mr White on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:06 am

Chuck E. Jesus wrote: i'm just trying to help, to point out it isn't the power supply...i posted the demo of the clicking sounds in response to another forum member and to give a heads up to others who were considering a purchase...sorry if that's a problem for you...

you misunderstood me chuck, you helped me so much with your considerations, really! :smile:
okie-doke :guinness:

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:05 am

Hi Mr White,

its not the pitch wobble I was relating to the Doepfer DIY PSU, its these other comments you made:

"my other modules simply hate it!
if I put it on the same busboard with a M10 it subtly affect HD pitch when triggered..."

"since yesterday I was very pleased to the transparent sound of my system but now even if not used HD spew that background noise everyfuckinwhere!"

these make me think of a shitty PSU and in fact I had similar problems with my Doepfer DIY2 kit - especially with VCOs and LFOs

At the moment I am using the "full" Dopefer PSU2 and all my problems like this disappeared

Richard

Mr White

Post by Mr White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:50 am

richard wrote:Hi Mr White,

its not the pitch wobble I was relating to the Doepfer DIY PSU, its these other comments you made:

"my other modules simply hate it!
if I put it on the same busboard with a M10 it subtly affect HD pitch when triggered..."

"since yesterday I was very pleased to the transparent sound of my system but now even if not used HD spew that background noise everyfuckinwhere!"

these make me think of a shitty PSU and in fact I had similar problems with my Doepfer DIY2 kit - especially with VCOs and LFOs

At the moment I am using the "full" Dopefer PSU2 and all my problems like this disappeared

Richard
I have 3x doepfer kit1, not kit2. doepfer PSU2 is the same as kit1, only with toroidal transformer coupled with the power distribution board on the same pcb rather than external boxed.
I readed everywhere that kit2 it's not the best for "Audio" applications.
the fact the M10 interact with the donut can be caused by plan b poor grounding, in fact, moving it away solved the clicks.

but fortunately the governor blacksnake sorted out the clue for the glitches and we all are happy now.

or almost, at least.

science
Spending Spree!

Post by science » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:57 am

Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:@ Governor Blacksnake

but for us overseas sending it back to you and back again would result in a lot of taxes... :cry:

...I dont mind so much the square outputs, so, if I follow that procedure you told, other waves are clean? and I dont have to send it back?
He presented a solution to what you've been whining about since you got your module, and now you're whining about having to send it back?
:doh:

Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

Post by Reality Checkpoint » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:08 pm

science wrote:
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:@ Governor Blacksnake

He presented a solution to what you've been whining about since you got your module, and now you're whining about having to send it back?
I think that you will find that items returned from the original supplier after repair/upgrade will not attract further import duties. At least that is my understanding for here in the UK, so the Chianti Hills in the Eurozone should not be too much different.

jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jenamu6 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:14 pm

science wrote: He presented a solution to what you've been whining about since you got your module, and now you're whining about having to send it back?

He 's not whining, he has a valid complaint.......so valid that Harvestman even made a solution.

So thanks mr White and Harvestman
My music streaming:

My youtube modular music movies:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

Mr White

Post by Mr White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Reality Checkpoint wrote: I think that you will find that items returned from the original supplier after repair/upgrade will not attract further import duties. At least that is my understanding for here in the UK, so the Chianti Hills in the Eurozone should not be too much different.
here in Italy customs are the world most fuckin piece of shit.

they dont give a fuck about what's writed on the invoice, if they say you have to pay, you have to pay or the send back the package, it happened many times to me...
and, as you can imagine, it's not so cool for modules to travel the world many times until they get lost or stolen...

Mr White

Post by Mr White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:29 pm

@ jenamu6

:tu:

...and please science it seems that you are whining...

please...

science
Spending Spree!

Post by science » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Thank you.

Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

Post by Reality Checkpoint » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Reality Checkpoint wrote: I think that you will find that items returned from the original supplier after repair/upgrade will not attract further import duties. At least that is my understanding for here in the UK, so the Chianti Hills in the Eurozone should not be too much different.
here in Italy customs are the world most fuckin piece of shit.

they dont give a fuck about what's writed on the invoice, if they say you have to pay, you have to pay or the send back the package, it happened many times to me...
and, as you can imagine, it's not so cool for modules to travel the world many times until they get lost or stolen...
Actually you have a valid point. Before I discovered the wonderful world of forums I used to trade a few items on Ebay. After having had a couple of bad experiences sending stuff to Italy I insisted on a signed for, tracked and fully insured service for all purchasers from Italy. That seemed to be the only way to guarantee its safe arrival.

Sorry to take this OT :oops:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”