Has anyone done a deep dive into pulsar synthesis?

Post your patches here! Put the format(s) in the subject.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Has anyone done a deep dive into pulsar synthesis?

Post by pixelmechanic » Wed May 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 pm
pixelmechanic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:14 pm
BTW Os built a Pulsar Synthesis mode into Disting after coming to one of Marcin & Curtis' concerts!
One of many things the Disting can do that I've just not had time to play with! Os might be about the only person who has tried everything the Disting can do for more than a few seconds 8-)

(It's nice to have weird capabilities in your back pocket though, for when you feel like you need.. something, but aren't sure what.)
I still haven't updated mine to be able to try it : /

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dragulasbruder » Wed May 20, 2020 11:35 pm

pixelmechanic wrote:

Here's 28 seconds of my own recent work with nuPg
This rules. Definitely getting some Network Glass vibes. Makes me wish I knew more about SC, PD, and the like.

Can you tell us what's going on under the hood? How does nuPg differ from the classic Roads implementation?
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Mark_Lewis
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark_Lewis » Thu May 21, 2020 12:43 am

https://720e7eb3-5f44-429a-8fed-d262440 ... 420c1f.pdf Here’s the manual if anyone is interested.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 am

Mark_Lewis wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:43 am
https://720e7eb3-5f44-429a-8fed-d262440 ... 420c1f.pdf Here’s the manual if anyone is interested.

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Thu May 21, 2020 3:36 pm

Mark_Lewis wrote:
That manual is a bit outdated, I've attached one for the version of the software I have here. While it shows what's in there, it doesn't really tell you how to use it ; )

Even though there's only a few months between them, Marcin had changed the way a lot of the modulation works, decoupling certain things, adding new ones.

While fundamentally the approach he's taken is similar to Curtis', there's plenty of new things in there, in terms of tools for shaping harmonic series, chebyshev waveshaping, different types of synthesis (e.g. fm synthesis with the pulsaret), and a lot more in terms of wider and more flexible modulation, sequencing and control linkage.

You can hear Marcin talk about the software in a talk he gave at ZKM here:

He's also contributed a chapter to a new ZKM publication considering Xenakis UPIC, Pg and nuPg here: https://www.zkm.de/en/system/files/fiel ... ay_zkm.pdf

If you'd like to get a copy (BTW it's Mac only at the moment, I think) there's some contact details here which he's previously advertised on twitter (very bottom of page): https://www.marcinpietruszewski.com/profile

Tell him I sent you ; )

To finish, here's a duet between nuPg and my modular setup:
Attachments
nuPg_manual.pdf
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 42 times

Mark_Lewis
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark_Lewis » Thu May 21, 2020 9:19 pm

pixelmechanic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:36 pm
Mark_Lewis wrote:
That manual is a bit outdated, I've attached one for the version of the software I have here. While it shows what's in there, it doesn't really tell you how to use it ; )

Even though there's only a few months between them, Marcin had changed the way a lot of the modulation works, decoupling certain things, adding new ones.

While fundamentally the approach he's taken is similar to Curtis', there's plenty of new things in there, in terms of tools for shaping harmonic series, chebyshev waveshaping, different types of synthesis (e.g. fm synthesis with the pulsaret), and a lot more in terms of wider and more flexible modulation, sequencing and control linkage.

You can hear Marcin talk about the software in a talk he gave at ZKM here:

He's also contributed a chapter to a new ZKM publication considering Xenakis UPIC, Pg and nuPg here: https://www.zkm.de/en/system/files/fiel ... ay_zkm.pdf

If you'd like to get a copy (BTW it's Mac only at the moment, I think) there's some contact details here which he's previously advertised on twitter (very bottom of page): https://www.marcinpietruszewski.com/profile

Tell him I sent you ; )

To finish, here's a duet between nuPg and my modular setup:
Thanks for uploading the newer manual! I actually already have the software, it’s great.

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dragulasbruder » Fri May 22, 2020 11:13 pm

Again, hardly a "deep dive", but I did patch up some (mostly) analog pulsar synthesis last night. For the euro-inclined:

Maths CH1 (linear cycle at audio rate) EOR > Maths CH4 Trig IN (non-cycling linear slope at faster audio rate)
Maths CH1 EOR > E350 Morphing Terrarium Sync IN
E350 XY OUT > VCA (CV by Maths CH4) > OUTPUT
Analog VCO sin OUT > E350 FM IN (optional)

Simple to set up, sounds the way it's "supposed to" when Maths 1 is slowest, Maths 4 is faster, E350 is fastest. Interesting undertones/subdivisions when Maths CH4 is allowed to get slower than CH1 (when window function exceeds duty cycle). Occasional glitches and squeaks, PS is definitely more predictable and smooth in digital implementations! Minute variations in trigger/sync thresholds make a big difference. But even leaving Maths entirely alone to drone, there's a crazy amount of timbral possibility just modulating the wavetable VCO's tuning, waveshape, and FM index.

Might make a video after fooling around with it some more if I make something worth showing off.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 pm

^ was wondering what an analog implementation might entail.
if you have the means - having a look at the waveform on a scope woulld be cool :-)

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:19 am

Reviving this to announce a second volume of Pulsar Scramble!

I'm in great company on this!

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:30 pm

:tu: what a cool thread! and it seems like i have all the tools for this right in front of me (now i just need to go patch them together)...

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Man... I’m going to give that Maths idea a shot utilizing my Orgone Accumulator. It may be a lot of fun with Elements as well.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:42 am

I had a go at this yesterday using Maths and a VCO and a VCA. It was fun, seems basically equivalent to two synced oscillators with AM. Was also able to get some sounds reminiscent of stuff I've done with a PLL where the sound moves between octaves in a nice glitchy way. Nothing that made me want to make a track though.......... kind of too screechy for my ears.

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dragulasbruder » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:30 pm

nuromantix wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:42 am
Nothing that made me want to make a track though.......... kind of too screechy for my ears.
Idk what kind of music you're doing, but aside from all the glorious baby-gurgle octave-jumping formant noises, I've gotten some stellar TB-303-style acid sounds sounds using pulsar synthesis. CV over the frequency of the synced wave gets you something like a filter opening and closing. One really awesome trick (copped from Hordijk again) is to self-AM the output wave with a ring mod or polarizer. Hordijk has suggested you can even do multiple stages of this. Rectification does a bunch of cool things too. Pop that into an output VCA and then dial up a little saturation afterwards and you can go straaaaight to Chicago, 1987. Even a digital implementation of this on the Clavia sounded great.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:29 pm

pixelmechanic wrote:
Marcin has been working to develop Curtis Roads' and Alberto DeCampo's implementation of Pulsar Synthesis in recent versions of SuperCollider and it goes *far* beyond Curtis' original implementation.

nuPg or New Pulsar Generator is now being used by quite a range of people across what might be described as the 'extreme computer music' community, and you can push it into a lot of places.

Try https://pwgen20.bandcamp.com/releases for more Pulsar synthesis

Here's 28 seconds of my own recent work with nuPg -

BTW Os built a Pulsar Synthesis mode into Disting after coming to one of Marcin & Curtis' concerts!
what chance is there of him making the code available to play with in the modular environment? the Daisy Patch seems like the perfect platform for this.. just load and go!

edit, aw nuts. i've gone and turned this into 'which eurorack module should i buy'

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:07 am

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:29 pm
what chance is there of him making the code available to play with in the modular environment?
Chance is likely no chance (especially since module you mention doesn't support SC), since he doesn't use any hardware other than his audio interface (not even any controllers!)

There's some Gen implementations of Pulsar Synthesis floating about that you might be able to get working?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:15 am

pixelmechanic wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:07 am
dooj88 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:29 pm
what chance is there of him making the code available to play with in the modular environment?
Chance is likely no chance (especially since module you mention doesn't support SC), since he doesn't use any hardware other than his audio interface (not even any controllers!)

There's some Gen implementations of Pulsar Synthesis floating about that you might be able to get working?
ah, ok. i don't know anything about coding audio programs, but i assumed SC would work since it seems to be related to pure data which this thing does support.

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Heads up for people into Pulsar Synthesis that Marcin Pietruszewski's first solo CD will be released soon

CD comes complete with a 30 page booklet by Curtis Roads!

Snufflepuff
Common Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:58 pm

dragulasbruder wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:13 pm
Again, hardly a "deep dive", but I did patch up some (mostly) analog pulsar synthesis last night. For the euro-inclined:

Maths CH1 (linear cycle at audio rate) EOR > Maths CH4 Trig IN (non-cycling linear slope at faster audio rate)
Maths CH1 EOR > E350 Morphing Terrarium Sync IN
E350 XY OUT > VCA (CV by Maths CH4) > OUTPUT
Analog VCO sin OUT > E350 FM IN (optional)

Simple to set up, sounds the way it's "supposed to" when Maths 1 is slowest, Maths 4 is faster, E350 is fastest. Interesting undertones/subdivisions when Maths CH4 is allowed to get slower than CH1 (when window function exceeds duty cycle). Occasional glitches and squeaks, PS is definitely more predictable and smooth in digital implementations! Minute variations in trigger/sync thresholds make a big difference. But even leaving Maths entirely alone to drone, there's a crazy amount of timbral possibility just modulating the wavetable VCO's tuning, waveshape, and FM index.

Might make a video after fooling around with it some more if I make something worth showing off.
Is this remotely correct?

I couldn't find a VCV Wavetable oscillator with a sync input, so I used an analog oscillator instead. The NSYNTH complex DADSR is the only cycling envelope with an EOR output, so I used 2 of them instead of Maths. The 1st slower version is set to cycle and the 2nd incarnation from left to right is sent to the Mixer's CV input. But slowing down the 2nd envelope actually produced the most interesting sounds for me?

Am I remotely on the right track? Thanks!

Snufflepuff
Common Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:48 pm

"A much more space-intensive implementation of analog pulsar synthesis requires 2 VCOs, an VCAR envelope, and a VCA. VCO1 runs slower and triggers the envelope (must be audio rate for audio-rate pulsar synthesis), envelope opens the VCA, which amplifies VCO2. Hard sync VCO2 to VCO1 for extra points."

I just discovered your earlier description from the first page. It's easier to make using ordinary oscillators :).
In this version, sweeping the 2nd square oscillator below the 1st square doesn't produce the interesting groans I got in the the previous post version.

I'm confused about the frequency of the cycling envelope. The guidelines say it should be faster than either of the the oscillators, but isn't its frequency determined by (and thus equal to) the square wave triggering it? In a similar vein, I don't understand what sweeping the "Frequency" dial of Tides is doing.

(EDIT: Unplugging Square OSC #1 from Tides trigger input doesn't alter its behavior. I'm thoroughly confused.)

Btw, which oscillator(s) would I actually be sending a 1 volt/oct signal from the keyboard?

Thanks!

Here's the patch with Tides:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzl12u6msdtf6 ... s.vcv?dl=0

grrrwaaa
Common Wiggler

Post by grrrwaaa » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:32 pm

pixelmechanic wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:07 am

I made a couple of those that you can find in the Max Gen examples. I ported one of them to the Daisy Patch for Euro via Oopsy. Led to the unexpected random patching discovery that pulsar into wavefolding is interestingly chunky!

8:17 has a tiny snippet of that.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:53 am

skip to 1:22. not sure if this is pulsar synthesis but it does sound like examples in this thread. I have been trying to figure this shit out since the 90's. Maybe someone on this forum is friends with Patrick?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:24 am

I just released an EP of improvisations where I'm scratching, scrubbing and otherwise scuffing some short fragments of recordings of pulsar synthesis (from nuPg).

Return to “Synthesis Techniques”