Help rescue my modysix

Support and discussion of Tubbutec products.

Moderators: Kent, tubbutec

Gougav
Learning to Wiggle

Help rescue my modysix

Post by Gougav » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 am

Hi guys, I recently purchased a beautiful Korg Polysix equipped with a modysix from Tubbutec. I was very happy, it worked like a charm. Then I thought that the midi clock was a bit sloppy, and thought "hmm maybe I should upgrade the firmware.

And so I did. I uploaded the firmware with the dedicated tubbutec firmware updater, it worked great, the blocks transfered one by one with "OK status", it really worked flawlessly. The whole operation ended in a succes message. Wouhou !

But then the synth was dead. And I realised... I upgraded a modysix kit with a MODYPOLY FRIMWARE !!! :eek: :doh:

Yes. So that happened and now nothing works. AT ALL. Thank god i kept the original key assigner so my Polysix can still work, but man, if someone has an idea, a way to help me flash the Atmega microchip with an arduino instead of the midi interface ?

Anyone having any kind of a beginning of solution for me would be super nice.

Thanks in advance for your kind help,

kluber
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Help rescue my modysix

Post by kluber » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:40 am

When you said nothing works do you mean that you can’t send the (right) firmware anymore? Can you make the midi working?
So if the midi is not working I guess you can’t...

There might be some other ways to fix your issue. Perhaps as you said you could flash the chip with an Arduino, but I wonder if the Modysix has that kind of option. An other way could be to get a new AtMega already flashed from Tubbutec and replace it but you gotta have some skills and the right tools.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:47 am

It is unfortunately very likely that you bricked your modysix. The only way to fix this is to send it to us - we can reflash it.
You can try to run the firmware updater multiple times, maybe, maybe you get it working again, but that is very unlikely.

sorry

Gougav
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Gougav » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:12 am

Yes that's what I thought... I did try everything, factory reset, using a different midi interface... I think it's bricked.

Thank you for you message though.
I was thinking: it would be nice to have a security within the firmware updater at this level. If the device is declared in the firmware's header , you can do a preliminary check that the firmware is indeed compatible with the device selected... maybe ? Cause I guess it's hard to check it on the Polysix side, but the firmware updater... I guess it's even better not to make stupid mistakes like I did, but in my defence it's a bit unclear how Modysix and Modypoly are not exactly the same product, even without talking about the HighRes.

Please let me know where to send it back and how much the procedure will cost, thank you very much for your support and dedication !

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:29 am

Hi.
Please get in touch: support (at) tubbutec.de
Thank you.

Return to “Tubbutec”