TR-808 uniPulse, velocity and accent

Support and discussion of Tubbutec products.

Moderators: Kent, tubbutec

jefff
Learning to Wiggle

TR-808 uniPulse, velocity and accent

Post by jefff » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:45 am

Hello,

I have my first TR-808 coming in the mail, and am thinking of adding a uniPulse. How does uniPulse velocity work with TR-808 accent? If I understand correctly, the traditional TR-808 accent does more than raise the volume, it also changes the timbre. Is this timbre change triggered at some midi velocity threshold? If the accent was triggered, is it global or per voice?

Just trying to understand the uniPulse features before I make the purchase, and get the labor done to install it.

Sincere thanks,
Jeff

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Re: TR-808 uniPulse, velocity and accent

Post by tubbutec » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:43 am

Hi Jeff,
In an unmodified TR-808, accent uses a higher amplitude pulse to trigger the sounds. The trigger voltage without accent is 5V and the global accent can be adjusted between 5 and 15V.

UnPulse uses the same trigger shape and voltages. However, here velocity controls the pulse voltage and thus you get full control over each instrument independently. So it behaves like the original accent but with more control and per-instrument.

So to answer your question about timbre change: Yes, it is of course still there. If you send a note with full velocity, you will here the same sound as with accent and the accent knob adjusted to full. If you send a lower velocity value, it is like turning down the accent amount knob.
As an added bonus, you can actually trigger with lower volumes as well which creates sounds that can not be played with the unmodified instrument. As you decrease the Snare trigger voltage below 5V, the "Snare" part of the sound starts to disappear leaving only the "drum" part. - Just like with a real Snare!

jefff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jefff » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:27 am

Hey Tubbutec,

Beautiful. UniPulse sounds like a great product and I'll be buying one! Thanks for answering my questions. 😄

bombjack
1-Post Wiggler

Post by bombjack » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:26 am

would it be possible to safely mod it in a way where max accent level goes beyond 15 V?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:29 am

I would not recommend it. uniPulse can not create pulses >15V anyway..

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 am

bombjack wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:26 am
would it be possible to safely mod it in a way where max accent level goes beyond 15 V?
massive first post. welcome to the board bombjack
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “Tubbutec”