dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DEAD Cocoquantus BUFFERS

Post by dksynth » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:16 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:11 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:43 pm
Wow I have been considering getting a cocoquantus 2. After reading this thread I’m out. There’s no warranty?
this is pretty hilarious...the bloke that sells these - what ? just says "sorry m8"? yo'uve obviously emailed him...and you get no help?!?
There is a warranty ... it's just with it being rare gear and an intermittent issue and also kinda noise core gear it often isn't noticed until someone with experience of more than one unit gets one.
Last edited by Flatscan on Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: undoing the damage

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:
Wow I have been considering getting a cocoquantus 2. After reading this thread I’m out. There’s no warranty?
this is pretty hilarious...the bloke that sells these - what ? just says "sorry m8"? yo'uve obviously emailed him...and you get no help?!?
Someone commented earlier in this thread about there not being a warranty. I guess I shouldn’t have taken their word for it and possibly spread bad info since I don’t know this for sure. My bad.

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:37 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm
wuff_miggler wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:
Someone commented earlier in this thread about there not being a warranty. I guess I shouldn’t have taken their word for it and possibly spread bad info since I don’t know this for sure. My bad.
As far as I know there is a warranty. I just don't wanna sound like I'm slingin mud... it is a GREAT lil box, a fantastic design. It's just shipping anywhere is a huge risk right now so I'm here hoping for a solution that doesn't require popping it in a box since I'm set up for SMD here.
Last edited by Flatscan on Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: undoing the damage

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Yep you have waranty the problem is juste have a discution with petter , try to ewplaine him somthing ,and you will understand ^^ and have fun with his respons :p
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 am

mrhoudis wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:30 am
I hate to sound like a dick but it’s honestly not THAT unpredictable, it just needs a ton of gain. It only seems unpredictable because you’re feeding it different things. The minimoog and easel probably sound good because they output hot signals. If you use the preamp on the left it’ll help boost the gain too, but the signal going into the buffer needs to be HOT. When you say the noise is there even when there’s no input signal, that’s because it’s amplifying and looping noise, so that’s to be expected. If there’s no signal it’s just going to try to boost silence, and when you boost silence you hear noise. When you turn it on there’s always going to be noise in the buffer that needs to be cleared, by turning speed all the way UP and turning feedback all the way DOWN, with record OFF (LED off). And if the feedback is turned up and it’s recording (LED on) with no signal, it’ll record noise, and that will need to be cleared. Actual electronic problems aren’t completely unheard of, I think there was one recently regarding a 5volt regulator, but in my very humble opinion the overwhelming majority of noise complaints on the forum are from people trying to use quiet signals, and other varieties of user error. I hope this helps.
i thought the coco was recording when the light is off and not recording when the light is on, no??
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

https://0netwo0netwo.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/0netwo0netwo

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:58 am

0netwo0netwo wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 am
mrhoudis wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:30 am
I hate to sound like a dick but it’s honestly not THAT unpredictable, it just needs a ton of gain. It only seems unpredictable because you’re feeding it different things. The minimoog and easel probably sound good because they output hot signals. If you use the preamp on the left it’ll help boost the gain too, but the signal going into the buffer needs to be HOT. When you say the noise is there even when there’s no input signal, that’s because it’s amplifying and looping noise, so that’s to be expected. If there’s no signal it’s just going to try to boost silence, and when you boost silence you hear noise. When you turn it on there’s always going to be noise in the buffer that needs to be cleared, by turning speed all the way UP and turning feedback all the way DOWN, with record OFF (LED off). And if the feedback is turned up and it’s recording (LED on) with no signal, it’ll record noise, and that will need to be cleared. Actual electronic problems aren’t completely unheard of, I think there was one recently regarding a 5volt regulator, but in my very humble opinion the overwhelming majority of noise complaints on the forum are from people trying to use quiet signals, and other varieties of user error. I hope this helps.
i thought the coco was recording when the light is off and not recording when the light is on, no??
Yes. Sampling when light is off.

The quoted post made me react when it was written but today in hindsight here's how I see it:
When you have one half of the cocoquantus where you can empty the buffer (silence at the output to start clean) and a second part where you can't (starting on a digital noise) - even by using the so-called dolby filter to reduce silence-noise, or punch silence into the loop - then it's IMHO legitimate to think that there's something wrong going on.
When you have 2 new cocoquantus aside and one where it's not a problem to start on a clean signal on both sides and one where you can't, then again, it's IMO pretty logical to draw a conclusion.
This is how the all discussion in this part of the forum about these buffers started and is coming back from time to time. If you had both sides acting the same on all cocoquantus (with noise or not, doesn't matter), then this discussion would not have started.

I pers. enjoy noise very much and it's been a part of what I do since ever, but I was glad to have one side on my cocoquantus where the buffer coud be emptied, because it's also nice to start with silence without having the noise in the back covering gentle higher tones you just sampled for instance. Noise would not be noise without silence anyway.
So it's great to have this forum to see how other users handle this question, make mods etc.
There are some ways to reduce this noise recommended along all the threads related to this question, which will work or not, but no matter how, noise or no-noise, the cocoquantus remains a unique machine. Peter Blasser is brillant and creates fantastic electronic music instruments and I'm very thankful he does, cause playing the Ciat-Lonbarde series is sooooo much fun. Unique circuits, unique sound, unique atmospheres.
-----------------------------------
FS: KESAKO Player & Reverb for Serge and Buchla

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm

thanks for confirming that when the lights are off then they are recording

on the noise "issue", i thought the noise was just sort of a lofi / 8bit / type hiss, mild distortion if you will.

are people upset because some coco owners have totally clean sounding instruments on both sides, some have one clean and one dirty and then some are "dirty" on both sides? or is it because they didnt know this was a unique characteristic of the coco and were expecting instead maybe a clean digital delay type sound??
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

k_bntzn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by k_bntzn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:57 pm

The 8bit lofi crunch is a part of the delays and as expected, but some users are experiencing noise burst in the feedback chain even when feedback is barely up and input all the way down. This makes it very hard to record from silence and making the recorded material useless pretty quick.
Sure the cocoquantus can make a total mess out of any signal very easy but it can also be gentle and smooth if you keep input and feedback a bit down. This is when you need the clean buffers only processing your input signal and not the noise bursts.

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 pm

thats the funny part about it though, how can we discern a good noise burst from a bad one with this thing?

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:54 pm

0netwo0netwo wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 pm
thats the funny part about it though, how can we discern a good noise burst from a bad one with this thing?
It’s pretty easy when you had one working with “no noise” for the better part of a year. I almost always used Coco for “lush” stereo pad type textures that were full of depth!

Now, it’s nearly impossible to clear the buffers and the noise that creeps in can always be heard as was mentioned in a few posts in this thread.

I still use mine and still like the character but it does bum me out that the lush cleanliness I was used to is now a thing of the past.....

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm

samule.edmoon wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:54 pm
0netwo0netwo wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 pm
It’s pretty easy when you had one working with “no noise” for the better part of a year. I almost always used Coco for “lush” stereo pad type textures that were full of depth!

Now, it’s nearly impossible to clear the buffers and the noise that creeps in can always be heard as was mentioned in a few posts in this thread.

I still use mine and still like the character but it does bum me out that the lush cleanliness I was used to is now a thing of the past.....

nobody has been able to offer a resolution to you?

is this the fate for all CoCo's??!!

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:59 pm

[/quote]

Nah, haven’t really found a resolution. But they do seem to clear a little better if I remove any jack from the stereo inputs! It’s a pain and doesn’t completely resolve the issue but if I’m quick to capture and freeze once re-inserting it’s not assss bad 😔

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:25 pm

well I hope this will not happen to mine and I hope that you can fix your issue someday

stay safe and be well

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue May 04, 2021 11:33 am

samule.edmoon wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:59 pm
0netwo0netwo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Nah, haven’t really found a resolution. But they do seem to clear a little better if I remove any jack from the stereo inputs! It’s a pain and doesn’t completely resolve the issue but if I’m quick to capture and freeze once re-inserting it’s not assss bad 😔
Pers. this is the best I could get by "inserting silence" so to say. It's been mentioned here and there but I don't remember posting it in a video.
On mine only the left channel acts like this, very noisy. Right channel is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5EWtnknQG0
-----------------------------------
FS: KESAKO Player & Reverb for Serge and Buchla

samule.edmoon
Common Wiggler

Post by samule.edmoon » Fri May 07, 2021 12:27 pm

batchas wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:33 am
samule.edmoon wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:59 pm
0netwo0netwo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Pers. this is the best I could get by "inserting silence" so to say. It's been mentioned here and there but I don't remember posting it in a video.
On mine only the left channel acts like this, very noisy. Right channel is better.
I’ve heard it more and more that having one channel slightly noisier is actually very common and maybe part of Peter’s design decision. I’ve since learned that a lot of the issues I have has to do with weaker signals. Patience is key with these boxes 😂

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”