Records with a sense of PLACE

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Records with a sense of PLACE

Post by noisejockey » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:54 pm

I've realized on thing that I love on the albums I keep coming back to is a sense of place. Not SPACE – we're not talking negative space or minimal mixes – but place, the room or environment itself being a critical element in the recording and arranging process. It's maybe not surprising this is more common in acoustic music than electronic, so I'm curious what albums you've heard where the place in which it was recorded had an impact on the tone or work.

I'll start with a few examples and would love some more electronic-focused examples, if they exist, even if it's the context that's not necessarily rendered aurally in the physical environment.

Johan G Winther's "The Rupturing Sowle," recorded in a cabin in the Swedish countryside (dark folk + MS-20!)
Mousy Magazine, "The Last Flight of the Mockingbird," recorded in an industrial laundry facility (this piece is for chamber orchestra, but the whole LP is amazing)
Tom Waits, "Mule Variations," recorded in a dirt-floor chicken shack (Prairie Sun Studios, Cotati, CA...it's literally now called "The Waits Room")

naturligfunktion
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Records with a sense of PLACE

Post by naturligfunktion » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:05 am

I've heard that James Murphy covered the entire studio with aluminium foil during the recording of Sound of Silver. Apparently the get more of a shimmering sound :)

It is a great sounding record, and in my opinion quite a spaced out sound, so it for sure did something!
Uplifting music suitable for sunny days and relaxing afternoons:

Bandcamp

mtts
Common Wiggler

Post by mtts » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:13 am

Shellac is pretty good at this. The first two albums especially. And even more especially the single "The Bird Is The Most Popular Finger" where they've attached a photograph of the room (some spacious apartment) they recorded it in.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:25 am

I think Lustmord's Heresy had several elements recorded in a long underground sort of chamber. Great piece of work that :-)

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 am

nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm

I did this album in different spots at my mate's farm in Austria, mostly outdoors. He gave me a long electric cable and I just sat in the woods or with the chickens etc and made tracks using a TX81Z and an MPC.
https://dmxkrew.bandcamp.com/album/reith-trax

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Tue May 04, 2021 3:10 pm

nuromantix wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm
I did this album in different spots at my mate's farm in Austria, mostly outdoors. He gave me a long electric cable and I just sat in the woods or with the chickens etc and made tracks using a TX81Z and an MPC.
https://dmxkrew.bandcamp.com/album/reith-trax
This has a great vibe. Good to know it was done outdoors and with a limited setup. Been taking my little deformer 3 out under the oak tree myself. No recordings yet.

nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Wed May 05, 2021 2:17 am

Thanks... yeh I bought a long cable reel this week, maybe i can do some garden tracks in summer.

Return to “Production Techniques”