Capturing inspiration

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

strettara
mufferthucker

Re: Capturing inspiration

Post by strettara » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm

“Baboonheit ist eine humoristische Rolle” - to paraphrase Novalis.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:30 am

Hey Jim...it evolves over time and is different each time I make something. If I have a melody or a groove going it try to record the MIDI notes or if that's no possible I put tape on the keyboard so I remember which keys to press. I just try to make sure to be able to play it back some other time. And then add other elements to it, and so on...until it's ready for recording as a song. That way I do song by song and finish stuff up to 90% even if it's not perfect I learn every time and have got some more music done by myself to listen to. It's like eating your own homemade bread...it doesn't have to be perfect to make you happy.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 pm

The BlueBox solved this issue for me completely. I can just hit record when I'm feeling like something cool is happening, and I get all the stems and the master mix recorded without having to go get my computer. It's increased my "song" output by probably 200% since I got it.

KL1982
Common Wiggler

Post by KL1982 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:19 am

tioJim wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:06 am
Hello

For me, this happens, too often: Sits at synth, noodling. Gets idea. "Oh my God that sounds great, and feels good." Must make a song. "Oh no!" Nothing's connected. [ add further obstacles to taste ] Frustrated now. Inspiration lost. Gone to bed.

How do you capture your inspiration? Do you never set foot near a synth without your DAW (or hardware sequencer) running? Are you super vigilant with set up so that gear never needs fiddling about with? Are you super strict with yourself such that if you really are that inspired you force yourself through the obstacles to at least get the basics down? Do you work with templates of some kind, such that you always have a goto song structure, drum kit, presets of certain types etc.? Do you drink gallons of mescal so you don't even care?

Thoughts?

Jim
Does it have to be 'captured'? Can't it simply be something you experience, rather than capture?

It still 'sounded great' and 'felt good' without any recording/capturing.

Who is pressuring you (aside from yourself) to make the experience 'more' than what it was?

The above reads to me as similar in mindset to feeling a desire to film (for example) every sexual exploit - or, rather than flushing each bowel movement, keeping each one individually wrapped in a plastic bag and storing it in the loft. Sometimes it is best simply to flush.

I don't know about you, but I tend to have no emotional attachment to the bowel movements I've had.

There's a certain liberty/freedom in thinking of the performing (and/or recording) of a piece of music as no different from performing a bowel movement and flushing the toilet.

I'd say there's a tendency these days to feel a need to record everything. But to what end?

"If I stick to my plans, I'll become the person I used to want to be."

(PS the simple answer to your question is 'use your phone mic/camera')

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:30 pm

KL1982 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:19 am
Does it have to be 'captured'? Can't it simply be something you experience, rather than capture?
Exactly this. I have everything permanently patched into my audio interface and going through Logic Pro. It’s very tempting to hit record and capture whatever moment of inspiration I feel is happening. Sometimes I do.

But yes that can also break the spell a bit and ruin my enjoyment because then you start re-checking the tuning, the levels, the panning etc. and thinking about the recording you’re making rather than the sound you’re immersed in.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm

KL1982 wrote:
You make good points but it has to be captured if you want to develop an idea into something more complete and finished. I don't think anyone needs to explain/justify the desire to create in its fullness over time (to discover the statue in the block of stone, as it were) as opposed to only in the moment. Not that the latter is any less valid.

I wasn't talking about taking selfies or Instagraming what I had for lunch! On that peculiar obsession I am disinterested. YouTube is awash with formless and derivative "synth jams" that should indeed have remained uncaptured - happy though I am that those performers enjoyed themselves.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm

KL1982 wrote:
I really like this sentiment, and I have always operated on a dichotomy where I have one band/project that makes music in the aforementioned "bowl movement" manner and one that is a studio project that attempts to make records. But now with the plague combined with some friends' relocating for job reasons, I can't get together and jam with my bandmates anymore, so we've set up a Google drive that we all post recordings of ourselves doing little solo jams and then we add layers to eachother's tracks, then post new mixes so the songs slowly evolve. The BlueBox mixer is perfect for this scenario because I just want to quickly capture what I'm doing while still retaining the "bowl movement" experience - nothing better than taking a good uninterrupted shit! :omg: And even though everything I'm doing is generally all running to my ES-9, and all I have to do to record "for real" is open my computer and make a new file, I feel like just the act of doing that gives the session a whole different vibe that's totally inescapable.

sublimiter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sublimiter » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:28 am

Any fleeting idea I have is typically just recorded with an iPhone mic. When I’m feeling industrious I’ll go through and start reconstructing and expanding on ideas to see if they go anywhere. Once something goes from a jam to being a repeatable piece of music it more or less writes itself. If I can’t reverse engineer or get anything out of a spur of the moment, lofi recording, there probably wasn’t much there to begin with

KL1982
Common Wiggler

Post by KL1982 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:48 pm

Excuse delay:
tioJim wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm
You make good points but it has to be captured if you want to develop an idea into something more complete and finished.[/quote]

Why?

There's value in working an idea through in the mind for weeks/months/years prior to 'capturing'.

Music can be composed without any audio recording/capturing (in the manner of this thread i.e audio capture). Aural realisation isn't always necessary (depending on the level of one's inner ear).

I remember hearing a Sylvia Plath interview where, addressed as a poet, she discussed how, after finishing a poem, it is possibly more accurate for her to describe herself as a 'poet-in-waiting'.

Interesting perspective.

tioJim wrote:
I don't think anyone needs to explain/justify the desire to create in its fullness over time (to discover the statue in the block of stone, as it were) as opposed to only in the moment. Not that the latter is any less valid.
Agreed.

Accounting for the distinction between 'creating' and 'capturing', of course (which can be independent categories - or the same process).

KL1982
Common Wiggler

Post by KL1982 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:49 pm

(editing nightmare, ignore this post)

KL1982
Common Wiggler

Post by KL1982 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:52 pm

KL1982 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:48 pm
Excuse delay:

And I'm having an editing nightmare with this post. I've placed your previous reply in bold/italics below.

tioJim wrote:
You make good points but it has to be captured if you want to develop an idea into something more complete and finished.

Why?

There's value in working an idea through in the mind for weeks/months/years prior to 'capturing'.

Music can be composed without any audio recording/capturing (in the manner of this thread i.e audio capture). Aural realisation isn't always necessary (depending on the level of one's inner ear).

I remember hearing a Sylvia Plath interview where, addressed as a poet, she discussed how, after finishing a poem, it is possibly more accurate for her to describe herself as a 'poet-in-waiting'.

Interesting perspective.

tioJim wrote:
I don't think anyone needs to explain/justify the desire to create in its fullness over time (to discover the statue in the block of stone, as it were) as opposed to only in the moment. Not that the latter is any less valid.
Agreed.

Accounting for the distinction between 'creating' and 'capturing', of course (which can be independent categories - or the same process).
[/quote]

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 am

I'm on Team RecordEverything-DeleteTheTrashLater.

Works for me. Has proven to be a lifesaver.

choice_of_meat
Common Wiggler

Post by choice_of_meat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:36 am

nuromantix wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 am
I just leave the studio wired up so the most I have to do is turn on a few more bits of kit in order to record either audio or midi. Harder for me is finding a couple of hours to finish the track.
This.

If it's too much to do that.. then streamline something so you can just go when you need to. The important thing IMHO is to get that inspiration captured/felt somehow.

lomma-kommun
Common Wiggler

Post by lomma-kommun » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 pm

For me it must be easy to start up the studio and start playing around. So my modular is always hooked up to my soundcard. And i monitor my modular through my soundcard and ableton. So everytime i start; computer, soundcard, ableton and power up my modular case. That is pretty simple and then it is just one click away to hit that record button to capture what i am doing.

Katherine Alicia
Common Wiggler

Post by Katherine Alicia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:50 pm

Get yourself one of these https://www.boss.info/uk/products/micro_br/ you can pick them fairly cheaply, they run on 2x AA batts (I use Eneloops), and it`ll fit into a pocket or purse, just intercept the lead going into your amp with this, power on, press play and record.
*Peace, Love, Unity, Respect*
https://www.youtube.com/KatherineAlicia

Digital Larry
Common Wiggler

Post by Digital Larry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm

I've been messing with the modular system quite a bit in the past couple of weeks. I've posted some stuff at SoundCloud however I'm not linking to them at this time because I'm not overwhelmingly proud of them (yet). Most of the points below are not guitar specific and represent my thoughts about the creative process, which is so different than what I am used to.

Some technical/creative thoughts that come to mind in all this include:

a) I really don't know what I am doing until I do it.

b) If I knew what I was doing then I already would have done it, which takes out some of the adventure. It's an oversimplification, because yes I do the S/H filter trick often, but in combination with other things that weren't done exactly the same way.

c) I haven't broken out the guitar synth pedal yet.

d) I've added bits and pieces of guitar licks into some of these projects, but nothing like a wanking solo. Either isolated licks here and there just as seasoning, or something loopy to be like the synth tracks, sections reversed to give the backwards sound, and/or mixed relatively low so that the guitar is just another one of the elements in the soup rather than clamoring for attention all on its own.

e) I have started a couple pieces using patterns from the Beatstep Pro and then added another layer from the Keystation... either noodling by hand or engaging the arpeggiator and changing the speed (note value) or arpeggiator pattern.

f) I finally figured out how to get all of this sync'ed with Ableton Live, such that I can press "record" in Ableton and it all starts up and records multiple tracks, audio and MIDI into Session View. I posted that info at the Ableton forum and promptly forgot, so I went back to read my own post to remember.

g) There is a definite lag between the audio/MIDI tracks coming from the external stuff, which might be compensated by some settings in Ableton, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

h) Other pieces were not synced to anything and are just the result of having LFOs and EGs making stuff happen. In those cases, I don't actually "play" anything like notes on a keyboard which makes me feel less like a musician and more like a mad scientist, see points (a) and (b).

i) I really need to be ready to record things at any moment.

j) I tried taking bits of two recordings done at different times and editing them together to form a composition. Somehow this seems less effective than simply recording a single session where things evolve and then perhaps editing the boring and/or excessively unpleasant sections out.

Return to “Production Techniques”