What are you listening to now?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
Headphones73
Common Wiggler
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 am
Location: SeaTac, Washington

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Headphones73 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:48 pm

Mansun’s Closed For Business Box set. 24 CDs of albums, EPs, demos, 10 live concerts, and loads of rare bonus material.
Attachments
44CAFFA3-A73B-41A7-A223-97072C8C4DBD.jpeg
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Output, Slew, Sample &
Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer TD3, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai
Miniak, S20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2

User avatar
Benoist
Common Wiggler
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm
Location: France

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Benoist » Wed May 05, 2021 1:35 pm


User avatar
Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:28 pm
Location: Up me own arse

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Liddlepud » Thu May 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Really enjoying Georgia.



Their shows on NTS are also really rather good

User avatar
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10391
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by exper » Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Good stuff, @oldenjohn
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Image

System99
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 9:50 am

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by System99 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:47 pm

Geez.... acoustic and vocal.......

User avatar
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:34 am
Location: Falls Church, VA
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by pmboos » Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 pm

Was in the mood for some great old school synth pop...

---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

User avatar
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:34 am
Location: Falls Church, VA
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by pmboos » Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 pm

---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

User avatar
svks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:40 pm
Location: Russia

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by svks » Sun May 09, 2021 3:42 am

The Notwist @ Moers Festival 2020


User avatar
3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Location: Ottawa Ontario

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by 3hands » Sun May 09, 2021 3:48 am

A few things!

My upcoming release. I’m sick of hearing it, but it’s needed to make sure it works across multiple sized systems.

A lot of Sigur Ros.

Hammock.

Baths

Nosaj Thing

A lot of retro stuff synth pop, from Yazoo, through to mid 90s Depeche Mode, The Knife,
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 7176
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by strettara » Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am

I'm listening to Morton Feldman at the moment. Quite something if you have the time for it.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."


User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 8041
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by dubonaire » Sun May 09, 2021 5:05 am

3hands wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:48 am
A few things!

My upcoming release. I’m sick of hearing it, but it’s needed to make sure it works across multiple sized systems.

A lot of Sigur Ros.

Hammock.

Baths

Nosaj Thing

A lot of retro stuff synth pop, from Yazoo, through to mid 90s Depeche Mode, The Knife,
:hihi:

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 8041
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by dubonaire » Sun May 09, 2021 7:43 am

I've just been casting back, and I reminded myself how good St Etienne's So Tough is. I think it's one of the great unsung albums of the 90s.

User avatar
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:34 am
Location: Falls Church, VA
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by pmboos » Sun May 09, 2021 5:32 pm



Something tells me I'd love to see a concert by Shpongle...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

User avatar
nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: central usofa

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by nostalghia » Sun May 09, 2021 8:23 pm

“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

User avatar
Benoist
Common Wiggler
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm
Location: France

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Benoist » Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm


User avatar
Chmeterling
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:18 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Chmeterling » Mon May 10, 2021 1:24 pm





User avatar
PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by PhineasFreak » Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 am

i just discovered 999999999

they do gud technos

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 7176
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by strettara » Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 am

12x12 A Musical Zodiac by Het Collectief, Stockhausen’s Tierkreis interspersed with 14th century music. Absolutely magical, wonderful music.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."


User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 8150
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 am

strettara wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am
I'm listening to Morton Feldman at the moment. Quite something if you have the time for it.
I often start listening to Morton Feldman with the best of intentions, but after the first half hour or so of the more or less random little piano gestures or whatever, I realize that I was totally ignoring it, and I generally shut it off. I need music with more direction, I guess.

But I really tried. I even read virtually everything that Feldman wrote in an attempt to understand his music and compositional process better.
Now that it's all over and done,
Called to the seed, right to the sun
Now that you find, now that you're whole
Seasons will pass you by,
I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down

qwoned
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by qwoned » Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 am
strettara wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am
I'm listening to Morton Feldman at the moment. Quite something if you have the time for it.
I often start listening to Morton Feldman with the best of intentions, but after the first half hour or so of the more or less random little piano gestures or whatever, I realize that I was totally ignoring it, and I generally shut it off. I need music with more direction, I guess.

But I really tried. I even read virtually everything that Feldman wrote in an attempt to understand his music and compositional process better.
Feldman is the least reliable source for gaining any understanding about how and why his work does what it does—to some extent willfully on his part. He got more dogmatic as the years went on and seemed to lean into a kind of vulgar musical phenomenalism that remained a bit more inexplicit with his early work. My takeaway over the years is that he's much more concerned with instrumental timbre ("sonority") and mixtures thereof as structural determinants than anything else—he's sort of an unsystematic spectralist, in this sense. The use of rhythmic discontinuities and metric fluctuations are merely servo-mechanisms of complex timbral polyphony (which he'd probably glibly call "harmony"), where such discontinuities are softened by the lack of variation in other parameters (dynamics, most notably). I suspect for some of these reasons he remains the most performed composer out of the New York School. Certainly much more than Cage, Wolff, Brown, et al.

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 7176
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by strettara » Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am

qwoned wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 am
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 am
strettara wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am
I'm listening to Morton Feldman at the moment. Quite something if you have the time for it.
I often start listening to Morton Feldman with the best of intentions, but after the first half hour or so of the more or less random little piano gestures or whatever, I realize that I was totally ignoring it, and I generally shut it off. I need music with more direction, I guess.

But I really tried. I even read virtually everything that Feldman wrote in an attempt to understand his music and compositional process better.
Feldman is the least reliable source for gaining any understanding about how and why his work does what it does—to some extent willfully on his part. He got more dogmatic as the years went on and seemed to lean into a kind of vulgar musical phenomenalism that remained a bit more inexplicit with his early work. My takeaway over the years is that he's much more concerned with instrumental timbre ("sonority") and mixtures thereof as structural determinants than anything else—he's sort of an unsystematic spectralist, in this sense. The use of rhythmic discontinuities and metric fluctuations are merely servo-mechanisms of complex timbral polyphony (which he'd probably glibly call "harmony"), where such discontinuities are softened by the lack of variation in other parameters (dynamics, most notably). I suspect for some of these reasons he remains the most performed composer out of the New York School. Certainly much more than Cage, Wolff, Brown, et al.
There may be a kind of Rothko phenomenon involved - music as a spiritual experience rather than art. Certainly the comments on YouTube videos of the music would support that idea.

He is definitely interesting and I certainly respect anyone prepared to follow their vision wherever it takes them but after a few days of it I doubt it’ll be top of my list of things to listen to. I do appreciate the way it sets a sort of boundary stone though.

I liked Three Voices the most, maybe because it is very close to the methods (compositional and performance) of other composers I admire.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."


qwoned
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by qwoned » Wed May 12, 2021 3:14 am

strettara wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am
qwoned wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 am
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 am
strettara wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am
I'm listening to Morton Feldman at the moment. Quite something if you have the time for it.
I often start listening to Morton Feldman with the best of intentions, but after the first half hour or so of the more or less random little piano gestures or whatever, I realize that I was totally ignoring it, and I generally shut it off. I need music with more direction, I guess.

But I really tried. I even read virtually everything that Feldman wrote in an attempt to understand his music and compositional process better.
Feldman is the least reliable source for gaining any understanding about how and why his work does what it does—to some extent willfully on his part. He got more dogmatic as the years went on and seemed to lean into a kind of vulgar musical phenomenalism that remained a bit more inexplicit with his early work. My takeaway over the years is that he's much more concerned with instrumental timbre ("sonority") and mixtures thereof as structural determinants than anything else—he's sort of an unsystematic spectralist, in this sense. The use of rhythmic discontinuities and metric fluctuations are merely servo-mechanisms of complex timbral polyphony (which he'd probably glibly call "harmony"), where such discontinuities are softened by the lack of variation in other parameters (dynamics, most notably). I suspect for some of these reasons he remains the most performed composer out of the New York School. Certainly much more than Cage, Wolff, Brown, et al.
There may be a kind of Rothko phenomenon involved - music as a spiritual experience rather than art. Certainly the comments on YouTube videos of the music would support that idea.

He is definitely interesting and I certainly respect anyone prepared to follow their vision wherever it takes them but after a few days of it I doubt it’ll be top of my list of things to listen to. I do appreciate the way it sets a sort of boundary stone though.

I liked Three Voices the most, maybe because it is very close to the methods (compositional and performance) of other composers I admire.
Such 'spirtuality' was often obliquely expressed in the general attitude toward 'sound': composing as a way to ('finally' … teleologically?) 'liberate' sounds rather than impose a system upon them. To 'let the sound suggest structure' rather than the other way around. An attitude very much 'in the air' at that time, surely in part a response to what many saw as the failures of serialism, but also the emergence of 'cybernetics' etc. Rothko, yes, but also someone like Robert Ryman makes sense here, too, with respect to the insistence on working with "material" over "ideas"…

Patterns in a Chromatic Field and Crippled Symmetry still remain valuable for me.

User avatar
naturligfunktion
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 956
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by naturligfunktion » Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 am

The Swedish artist Magnus Tingsek just released a new album. I had my hopes down, as I think his music has taken a weird turn, but this album was really great!

Have a listen:

Uplifting music suitable for sunny days and relaxing afternoons:


Bandcamp

User avatar
wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 pm
Location: Disney, Australia

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed May 12, 2021 6:25 am

^ very very nice - reminds me a little of James Blake. His voice roughens up nicely too :-)

Granular
Common Wiggler
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:39 pm
Location: Switzerland (Bern)

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Granular » Wed May 12, 2021 6:31 am




Post Reply

Return to “Artist Discussion”