GRM works

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Del
Common Wiggler

GRM works

Post by Del » Tue May 04, 2021 12:28 am

Has anyone been following the releases and reissues from Mego's Recollection GRM sub-label? I've bought a handful so far and I'm grateful some of these pieces have become available. Can't wait to check out some of the others.

I'll recommend a few that I've enjoyed so far...

Bernard Pamegiani's De Natura Sonorum. This was not new to me but I enjoyed listening to it again. This piece seems almost overcomposed, over-deliberate to me. If a work of electro-acoustic music can be virtuosic, this would be it. I admire it greatly but some parts, like the introductory "movement," which is based around a continually reinforced droning tone, are somehow cloying to me. But other parts are just amazing. You have to give it your attention.

Ivo Malec - Triola. Aesthetically the opposite of the above. Jagged, raw, and uncouth where Pamegiani is refined and sophisticated. Feels compositionally precarious - UNDERcomposed, which almost makes it more exciting and interesting to me right now.

Jaap Vink -s/t. I'd never heard of him before so this was quite a discovery. Big sheets of sound that would serve well as the soundtrack to a meditative sci-fi movie like Solaris. As opposed to De Natura Sonorum, which demands your attention, I would say this demands your relaxed and wandering mind. Lie down and daydream.

What releases have stood out for you? I'm keen to buy a few more and would love recommendations.

panda
Common Wiggler

Re: GRM works

Post by panda » Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am

GRM Recollection is fantastic, it is great documentation of some of the most important work of the 20th century. The real answer is that you should listen to and spend time with all of them.

A few favourites:
Iannis Xenakis - GRM Works 1957​-​1962
Michel Redolfi - Pacific Tubular Waves / Immersion
Guy Reibel - Granulations​-​Sillages / Franges du Signe
Jean-Claude Risset - Music from Computer

GRM are active on bandcamp https://inagrm.bandcamp.com/
And have a contemporary imprint https://portraitsgrm.bandcamp.com/

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Tue May 04, 2021 4:30 am

I have only heard the Jaap Vink one, but them being on bandcamp is a good way of trying many out and buying the ones you like.

I have heard from a friend that the vinyl versions can sometimes be not great pressings.

but the Beatriz Ferreyra LP comes recommended by the same friend.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

leftbracket
Common Wiggler

Post by leftbracket » Tue May 04, 2021 5:16 am

I've greatly appreciated all the Luc Ferrari love in the series thus far. Hétérozygote is near the pinnacle of the classic style of musique concrète in my view; the Presque rien pieces are still shockingly stark and minimal to modern ears, and yet they provide in their own way a very lush sound-world.

The Schaeffer piece that they put out wasn't one that I was familiar with beforehand, and not one of his greatest by most accounts, but still a fascinating aesthetic turn from a seminal figure.

I echo all of the sentiments expressed here before mine.

boonie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by boonie » Tue May 04, 2021 5:22 am

The three Traces collections are great for getting a nice cross selection of pieces

boonie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by boonie » Tue May 04, 2021 5:25 am

In a similar vein the Sub Rosa Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music collections are really good also

wackelpeter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wackelpeter » Tue May 04, 2021 11:32 am

Second the recommendation of the Trace compilations... Wonderful stuff also by some of the lesser known artists.

Furthermore high up in my list are Bernard Fort- Fractals, Francois Bayle - Tremblements and Regis Renouard Laiviere - Contree.

Also just saw that they put out an LP by Michele Bokanowski... really wonderful music and much underrated
https://www.discogs.com/de/artist/12391 ... Bokanowski

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Tue May 04, 2021 5:01 pm

hamildad wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:30 am
but the Beatriz Ferreyra LP comes recommended by the same friend.
I really loved Huellas Entreveradas, so I'll have to try this one, too. Thanks.

wackelpeter wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:32 am
Second the recommendation of the Trace compilations... Wonderful stuff also by some of the lesser known artists.

Furthermore high up in my list are Bernard Fort- Fractals, Francois Bayle - Tremblements and Regis Renouard Laiviere - Contree.

Also just saw that they put out an LP by Michele Bokanowski... really wonderful music and much underrated
https://www.discogs.com/de/artist/12391 ... Bokanowski
Yes, I listened to Contree on Apple Music and have been eyeing the Bernard Fort as well. The Bokanowski on the other hand, though I noticed it getting a lot of attention, seemed pretty uninteresting to me, judging from the first piece. Seemed like sort of one-note, loop-based ambient. Just not for me, I guess.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Tue May 04, 2021 11:44 pm

GRM is indeed fantastic and I would also highly recommend the Avant Garde Project archives:

http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/AvantGardePr ... chive.html

There are several download sites of varying levels of completeness.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Wed May 05, 2021 12:13 am

strettara wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:44 pm
GRM is indeed fantastic and I would also highly recommend the Avant Garde Project archives:

http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/AvantGardePr ... chive.html

There are several download sites of varying levels of completeness.
No Barry Truax. Incomplete! :) I would love to see Riverrun get the GRM treatment. For me, a landmark piece.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 pm

Yeah he only converts to digital from vinyl and only stuff that isn’t currently available on vinyl or cd, so things keep appearing and disappearing from the archive. There isn’t any Steve Reich, for instance. Still an excellent source for hard to find music.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu May 06, 2021 1:15 am

strettara wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 pm
Yeah he only converts to digital from vinyl and only stuff that isn’t currently available on vinyl or cd, so things keep appearing and disappearing from the archive. There isn’t any Steve Reich, for instance. Still an excellent source for hard to find music.
Definitely. Thanks for passing it on.

Diakladon
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Diakladon » Thu May 06, 2021 1:26 am

Everyone will/should already know this, but it was new to me:
IANNIS XENAKIS: GRM Works 1957-1962
Del wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:28 am
Has anyone been following the releases and reissues from Mego's Recollection GRM sub-label? I've bought a handful so far and I'm grateful some of these pieces have become available. Can't wait to check out some of the others.

I'll recommend a few that I've enjoyed so far...

Bernard Pamegiani's De Natura Sonorum. This was not new to me but I enjoyed listening to it again. This piece seems almost overcomposed, over-deliberate to me. If a work of electro-acoustic music can be virtuosic, this would be it. I admire it greatly but some parts, like the introductory "movement," which is based around a continually reinforced droning tone, are somehow cloying to me. But other parts are just amazing. You have to give it your attention.

Ivo Malec - Triola. Aesthetically the opposite of the above. Jagged, raw, and uncouth where Pamegiani is refined and sophisticated. Feels compositionally precarious - UNDERcomposed, which almost makes it more exciting and interesting to me right now.

Jaap Vink -s/t. I'd never heard of him before so this was quite a discovery. Big sheets of sound that would serve well as the soundtrack to a meditative sci-fi movie like Solaris. As opposed to De Natura Sonorum, which demands your attention, I would say this demands your relaxed and wandering mind. Lie down and daydream.

What releases have stood out for you? I'm keen to buy a few more and would love recommendations.

Return to “Artist Discussion”