Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules

New Interfaces for Analog Synthesizers.

Moderators: Kent, __ag

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:How are you patching the module when you test? Which mode are the channels in?
I first noticed the problem in actual use with a v/oct signal to the CV inputs and a gate to the all notes off input ("why are my notes randomly being cutoff on my midi synth?"). While troubleshooting, I completely unpatched the module and just monitored the midi output - the problem happens even with the module completely unpatched!

I usually use the "blinking light" mode, but I tried it in the "led off" mode too, with the same result.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:35 am

Give me some time and I'll test things on mine. I don't know why you have this issue. Would you mind sending me a PM so we can arrange for a Skype call on this?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:35 am

[deleted]

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Just got a 222 today from Analogue Haven! Upgraded the firmware to the brand-new B5 version.

Definitely seems like it could be a game-changer for me! I've always wanted to be able to "play" my polysynths from something other than the keyboard or a basic sequencer, and in my quick tests controlling a Wavestation it seems like this comes really close to what I was hoping for, and is in some ways even more powerful than I'd desired (but not really in ways that makes it overly complex).

I think I have figured out modes 1 & 2 pretty well, but I am still a bit confused on mode 3, the gated mode, which is apparently new in this firmware (though hinted at previously here). Using it for mono stuff it makes sense (note is held until gate is released), but I am not quite sure how to use it with multiple voices, and to sustain them, particularly with the pushbutton.

Also, what's the expected behavior when you have two (or more) of the four sections assigned to the same MIDI channel? (Sorry if I missed something skimming this thread.)

Too bad it is so brutally hot in the house this evening, or I'd be spending more time exploring it!

ultra-lo-definition
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules

Post by ultra-lo-definition » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 am

This thread has been dormant for a while, but maybe someone is listening that can answer a (probably dumb) question about the 221. I mostly sequence with a launchpad pro over midi but I want to use the 221 for modulation. Will the 221 merge the midi messages it revives at it's input with the CC it generates, or will I need a separate midi merger box?

I assume it merges the two... But then that could just make me an ass... Thanks!

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:54 pm

ultra-lo-definition wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 am
This thread has been dormant for a while, but maybe someone is listening that can answer a (probably dumb) question about the 221. I mostly sequence with a launchpad pro over midi but I want to use the 221 for modulation. Will the 221 merge the midi messages it revives at it's input with the CC it generates, or will I need a separate midi merger box?

I assume it merges the two... But then that could just make me an ass... Thanks!
I don't have one yet, but the description flout on the 221's webpage says:

. USB MIDI received data will be routed to the MIDI OUT jack.
. In turn, midi data externally sent to the MIDI IN jack will be routed both to the MIDI OUT jack and the USB MIDI port.
. This “thru function” allows to interconnect several ADDAC222 modules or just plug any external midi device through it.

This implies that the Launchpad's midi will go through the 221 ok. It all depends on how finicky the Lauchpad's target is about the data coming from it.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

ultra-lo-definition
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ultra-lo-definition » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:54 pm
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 am

I don't have one yet, but the description flout on the 221's webpage says:

. USB MIDI received data will be routed to the MIDI OUT jack.
. In turn, midi data externally sent to the MIDI IN jack will be routed both to the MIDI OUT jack and the USB MIDI port.
. This “thru function” allows to interconnect several ADDAC222 modules or just plug any external midi device through it.

This implies that the Launchpad's midi will go through the 221 ok. It all depends on how finicky the Lauchpad's target is about the data coming from it.

I read that on the website too, and I'm gonna hope for the best. Just placed an order, so I guess my question will be definitively answered soon enough. Thanks for the validation though, my confidence level is increased.👍

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:57 am

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:
I read that on the website too, and I'm gonna hope for the best. Just placed an order, so I guess my question will be definitively answered soon enough. Thanks for the validation though, my confidence level is increased.👍
I said that above because some MIDI devices don't even like being run through USB hubs and the like, so if the LaunchPad is one of those, this might not work.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

ultra-lo-definition
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ultra-lo-definition » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:23 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:57 am
ersatzplanet wrote:

I said that above because some MIDI devices don't even like being run through USB hubs and the like, so if the LaunchPad is one of those, this might not work.

I see... Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate you taking the time to help :)

I'll do some more Googling about the launchpad and see if I can figure out what I'm in for. Maybe I'll get lucky and not have to spend the back half of next week troubleshooting (221 should be here by Wednesday). The current goal is to sequence a Reface dx from the launchpad while sending it cc from the 221--so hardware only if that makes any difference

ultra-lo-definition
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ultra-lo-definition » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:14 pm

In case anyone in the future is curious how the story ended: launchpad pro mk3 > Addac 221 > Reface Dx works like a charm. Got a patch running as I type this--and it sounds wonderful

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:14 pm
In case anyone in the future is curious how the story ended: launchpad pro mk3 > Addac 221 > Reface Dx works like a charm. Got a patch running as I type this--and it sounds wonderful
Thanks for the update. Glad to see it worked. I have plans for 221 in my future, and I should dig my old launchpad out of the basement and see if it will fit in my workflow.
-James

Return to “ADDAC System”