Steiner Synthasystem Filter Modification

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Steiner Synthasystem Filter Modification

Post by dragulasbruder » Tue May 04, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi-

Does anyone know if there is a way to get filters of the Steiner Synthasystem topology to have simultaneous output of the different filter states?

For example, I've been blown away by the Frequensteiner demos I've heard on the web. Manhattan Analog now has a Synthasystem-inspired filter as well. Both of them use a three-way switch to swap the filter types, but I love doing feedback patching and creative mixing of the different output taps on a SEM-style SVF.

Is this just a simple matter of adding jacks instead of the three-way switch? Or does the three-way switch actually address where the *input* signal is injected into the filter to get the different passbands (I think this is how the Synthacon filter works, right?)

I'd be curious to know, seems like a great project. I just can't find a multi-tap SVF filter in Eurorack that I really love (that I can afford! those CMS 1047 clones sound incredible, but they're way out of my price range). Pittsburgh has gotten me the closest, but still leaves some things to be desired.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

ropesalesman
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Steiner Synthasystem Filter Modification

Post by ropesalesman » Tue May 04, 2021 2:14 pm

You guessed correctly: the Steiner Synthasystem has different responses depending on where you input the signal.
It does not have simultaneous outputs like an SVF has.

Having all three INPUTS available at all times is a useful mod that some folks do. Manhattan Analog made the design decision to stick with the original configuration.

The obvious solution is buy three of them :D

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Tue May 04, 2021 2:18 pm

tip top version has seprate jacks for the inputs.

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Tue May 04, 2021 5:03 pm

There are numerous variations of this filter out there. Some with a switch and some with multiple inputs. Do a web search for Steiner filter schematics.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue May 04, 2021 5:23 pm

Nicest versions I have seen have three SWITCHING input jacks with an attenuator for each, so you can connect one signal to the first input and then use the three attenuators to determine the amount sent to the HP, BP, and LP sections.

Or you can override those normalled connections at the three input jacks by patching different signals into the three input jacks, and send one input signal to HP, a different input signal to BP, and third input signal to LP, each with their own level control.

The Hordijk 24dB filter works like this, among others.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat May 08, 2021 1:12 am

dragulasbruder wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:34 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to get filters of the Steiner Synthasystem topology to have simultaneous output of the different filter states?
All Synthesystem VCF's have the multiple outputs (like the Livewire Frequensteiner).

The Synthacon has multiple inputs with a single output.

Are you conflating the two? Maybe I am missing something. It's been 18-20 years since I have seen either.
FS: Pedals, Echotron, Mangler, Tascam 238 and DR-03
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=244651

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am

Frequensteiner has a single output jack w the mode selectable on a switch. hence...

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun May 09, 2021 2:23 am

transistorresistor wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am
Frequensteiner has a single output jack w the mode selectable on a switch. hence...
Christ. Absolutely right. My mistake.

Wish I had a Synthesystem. I played with one about 15 years ago and it was a raw beast.

A few quirky modules and a good organic sound.
FS: Pedals, Echotron, Mangler, Tascam 238 and DR-03
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=244651

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”