Roland JD-08 Thoughts?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Roland JD-08 Thoughts?

Post by Red Electric Rainbow »

Anyone here using this? How do you like it? More importantly are there any users here that used the original and can make comparisons? Thanks in advance y’all :tu:
TOO FAR GONE
SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Roland JD-08 Thoughts?

Post by SkyWriter »

Red Electric Rainbow wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:59 am Anyone here using this? How do you like it? More importantly are there any users here that used the original and can make comparisons? Thanks in advance y’all :tu:
have you used any of the other boutiques?

I have four of them, I find the controls too small to get really interested in them. the D-05 was my fav, but I don't have much use for these kind of sounds these days. for the same reason the JD caught my eye.

are they even available yet?
give a hoot, don't fucking pollute.
Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

SkyWriter wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:10 am are they even available yet?
oh damn, you’re right. thanks for letting me know. i really thought they were out I keep seeing them all over instagram. i’m off my meds and out of my depth.
TOO FAR GONE
SkyWriter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter »

lol! it'll ship eventually... ;0)
give a hoot, don't fucking pollute.
Rost + Licht
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rost + Licht »

I got one and an JD800, JD990 and JV1080. It’s great, it controls well and is an absolute “Track starter”.

Biggest concern around are the controls and I think they are not bothersome at all. How fast you can come up with unique and haptic sounds, especially with different layers that focus on different spectras (hp/no/lp) combined with individual amp modulation, is inspiring.

Haven’t got 100% in the dual sequencer and mostly used the preset ones whole changing the Part Sounds but letting them roll is already truly impressive sound wise. It gets into the “future optimistic” Playstation1 era of sounds soo fast, so if you dig this I think it will be a very good purchase for you. I don’t usually like to use genre terms or nail sth down to it but this thing just oozes Jungle and Detroit. Also Joe Hisaishi type of minimal ambient shoots out of it. Some may call this cheesy but just find it soulful.

Apart from this you can also get fairly easy in abstract ambient kind of sounds, all very soundtracky.

The lack of the extra cards is baffling and truly sucks but still I’d go as far as to call it standalone a better choice over the og now, esp with the polyphony, arp and sequencer.
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

Rost + Licht wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:59 am I got one and an JD800, JD990 and JV1080. It’s great, it controls well and is an absolute “Track starter”.

Biggest concern around are the controls and I think they are not bothersome at all. How fast you can come up with unique and haptic sounds, especially with different layers that focus on different spectras (hp/no/lp) combined with individual amp modulation, is inspiring.
'Haptic' is such a great word:

"the use of technology that stimulates the senses of touch and motion, especially to reproduce in remote operation or computer simulation the sensations that would be felt by a user interacting directly with physical objects."
Rost + Licht
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rost + Licht »

Blairio wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:13 pm 'Haptic' is such a great word:
It truly is, I like when Sound has this quality. Mixed with more "roundish" tones it shines :)
BTW your "Piece For Two Electric Pianos" is a beaut.
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio »

Rost + Licht wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:53 pm
Blairio wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:13 pm 'Haptic' is such a great word:
It truly is, I like when Sound has this quality. Mixed with more "roundish" tones it shines :)
BTW your "Piece For Two Electric Pianos" is a beaut.
Thank you! Courtesy of my recently purchased Korg SV2 piano, plus a smattering of VA synths.
mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath »

Rost + Licht wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:59 am
Haven’t got 100% in the dual sequencer and mostly used the preset ones whole changing the Part Sounds but letting them roll is already truly impressive sound wise. It gets into the “future optimistic” Playstation1 era of sounds soo fast, so if you dig this I think it will be a very good purchase for you. I don’t usually like to use genre terms or nail sth down to it but this thing just oozes Jungle and Detroit.
sales pitch imo

i used my jd990 exclusively for icy pads thanks to that don solaris vid
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid
Rost + Licht
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rost + Licht »

mome rath wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:12 pm sales pitch imo
What do you mean?
mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath »

Rost + Licht wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:15 am
mome rath wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:12 pm sales pitch imo
What do you mean?
Sorry, I mean what you said makes me want to buy one :)
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid
DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG »

Would this work well for quick textural and timbral changes, more abstract outside the edm or ambient idioms? Free improvisation for lack of a better term For instance will it allow building custom presets and accessing them sequentially or randomly played? I want a small hands on stand alone instrument I can bring with me to gigs etc. . This machine looks attractive to me. I have considered a jx03, for the push button preset access but also know little about them. Had an SE-02 that I regret selling that I used in a similar way, via preset access.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros
Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Rost + Licht wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:59 am I got one and an JD800, JD990 and JV1080. It’s great, it controls well and is an absolute “Track starter”.

Haven’t got 100% in the dual sequencer and mostly used the preset ones whole changing the Part Sounds but letting them roll is already truly impressive sound wise. It gets into the “future optimistic” Playstation1 era of sounds soo fast, so if you dig this I think it will be a very good purchase for you. I don’t usually like to use genre terms or nail sth down to it but this thing just oozes Jungle and Detroit. Also Joe Hisaishi type of minimal ambient shoots out of it. Some may call this cheesy but just find it soulful.

Apart from this you can also get fairly easy in abstract ambient kind of sounds, all very soundtracky.

The lack of the extra cards is baffling and truly sucks but still I’d go as far as to call it standalone a better choice over the og now, esp with the polyphony, arp and sequencer.
thanks for that. i used to own a JD-800 and i absolutely loved the sound. it was in dire straits when i got rid of it and have been mad hesitant to get one ever since. i had the jd-xi and its close and then some but was absolutely hideous to look it. ive been scaling back and looking for units with a smaller footprint and this ticks all the boxes. its kind of amazing what roland has been able to accomplish with the boutique series.
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “General Gear”