Drum Machines

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Drum Machines

Post by unclebastard » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:55 am

ATW wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:54 pm
unclebastard wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 am
I had an SR16 for years, foolishly sold it, now use an SR18 which does everything I need from a drum machine, and it sounds filthy evil going through the MS20. I've never liked the primitive sounds of early drum machines- yes, I know they're on loads of famous songs, but to me they sound weak, tinny and fizzy, which I don't find charming. The 808 has one great sound, the kick, you can keep the rest :sstorm:

Same, I sold my SR-16 after many years, for no particular reason aside from it was gathering a bit of dust. It’s luckily pretty easy to scoop one up for under $100. Haven’t checked out the SR18–do you prefer it over the SR-16?
I do: quite apart from having more and better sounds ( including some SR16 classics ) , the big wheel on top is now for pattern and tempo changing- not volume- a big plus ( volume is a small knob on the back ) and it has, if you feel the need, percussion and bass tracks ( I leave them muted ). There are effects, but I don't use them.
There is now only a stereo out for the drums, but you could use a y cable to split the headphone out for a second out to put through FX. The workflow is identical, so if you know the 16 you'll be making songs in no time.
Last edited by unclebastard on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

adUb
Common Wiggler

Post by adUb » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:07 am

I have an Elektron MD UW MKII and love it's versatility. It can sound kind of flat until you run it through compression or effects which really beefs it up. My OT and Force make a pretty good combination. Both excel at programming on the fly changes and are integral in my live jamming setup.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:16 am

Drum machines I currently have, DSI Tempest, Jomox Airbase 99, TT606, Dr. 660, Sugarbytes DrumCompter on my iPad and the Deluge ( I use this mainly as either a drum sampler or sequencer for drum material) I like using the Tempest in terms of sequencing and playing. I dig that part a ton but I’ve never been in love with making new sounds on it. I’ve come to realize I prefer some kind of fixed drum architecture vs a wide open synth for drum programming. I love the Airbase sounds but despite setting up templates to edit it on my iPad I still find the extra hassle of “another device” intrusive to my workflow. The dr 660 I’ve had since the day it was released and it has served me well though I don’t use it much these days. The TT606 probably gets the most use. I love the sequencer but as opposed to the wide open nature of the Tempest, I do find the overall sound set nice but just a tad too restrictive to have me completely happy. The Sugarbytes drum computer is great but still a wee much for me designing a sound from scratch. The randomization features on it are damn fantastic though. I’ve been wanting to try a Vermona DRM1 for a long time so maybe one days I’ll grab one. I feel it’d pair well with my Deluge workflow.

boxes that have come and gone: boss dr.220e, Alesis D4, Simmons SDS1000, Yamaha DTX 2.0, Nord Drum 2, Nord Drum 3, Soma Pulsar 23, Korg ER-1, Electribe Sampler. I liked the sounds of the nords I just didn’t enjoy using them. Same with the korg stuff. I didn’t dig the pulsar at all for a variety of reasons, all the other stuff was just a means to an end for various projects. The 220 was my very first box and loved it for what it was!

Overall… I’ve had the most joy and years out of the dr660. I keep wishing for another box that’ll really inspire me but it just hasn’t seemed to drop yet.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:58 am

Quite pleased with my TR6S. Compact and massive power.
Looked at Model:cycles, TR8S, but nah .... went with TR6S.
In fact love it.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:10 am

oscilloscope wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:58 am
Quite pleased with my TR6S. Compact and massive power.
Looked at Model:cycles, TR8S, but nah .... went with TR6S.
In fact love it.

Oh it is fun , the FM synths are a bit limited, but that makes them fast to work with. If I wanted old analogue sounds I’d probably buy one over the 8s. Can’t remember why now , but considered the upgrade and decided it wouldn’t be worth the extra at all. But next to maschines synths there isn’t anything to compare, it’s chalk and cheese.
In fact if I wanted Roland type sounds specifically in VA I’d get another nord 3p which can sound much more gritty and powerful , especially for 808 sounds.

That said the tr6 is one of the best small drum machines out there, soundcard built in too, portable af and looks great IMO. Oh yes, one of the best things is Roland have done a superb job at scaling down their flagships , super intuitive no manual needed really.
I actually prefer the smaller faders because you can use them more as gates like on a DJ mixer as each channel has adjustable gain.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Where’s the Korg Drumlogue ?

wackelpeter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wackelpeter » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 am

Roland CR78 i'm still not in love with it, as i find the highhats open and closed too loud and the balance fader there works not in the spot that i can easily attentuate them a bit... think i'll be doing some mods on this in the future (like bringing all 3 clock divisions to the outisde and have them simultaneously available.

Roland TR 77 heavily modified with clock out and ext clock in, pulled the whole diode matrix and instrument triggers to the outside, so i can create my own rhythm or add some voices to an pre-routed one. In terms of versatility the best i have.

Roland T606 band TR626 and last but not least an Sound Master SR-88 the poor mans DR55 clone... which i have laying opened around here as i had plans to do some mods but due to lack of good readable schematics got stuck somewhere before i could start...

Funnily enough i rarely use them as i wrap up most of my percussive elements with my modular synth stuff...

ATW
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:52 am

unclebastard wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:55 am
ATW wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:54 pm
unclebastard wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 am
I had an SR16 for years, foolishly sold it, now use an SR18 which does everything I need from a drum machine, and it sounds filthy evil going through the MS20. I've never liked the primitive sounds of early drum machines- yes, I know they're on loads of famous songs, but to me they sound weak, tinny and fizzy, which I don't find charming. The 808 has one great sound, the kick, you can keep the rest :sstorm:

Same, I sold my SR-16 after many years, for no particular reason aside from it was gathering a bit of dust. It’s luckily pretty easy to scoop one up for under $100. Haven’t checked out the SR18–do you prefer it over the SR-16?
I do: quite apart from having more and better sounds ( including some SR16 classics ) , the big wheel on top is now for pattern and tempo changing- not volume- a big plus ( volume is a small knob on the back ) and it has, if you feel the need, percussion and bass tracks ( I leave them muted ). There are effects, but I don't use them.
There is now only a stereo out for the drums, but you could use a y cable to split the headphone out for a second out to put through FX. The workflow is identical, so if you know the 16 you'll be making songs in no time.
Nice, thanks for the info. I’m going to check the sounds, hoping the rap kit sounds are still there. Always liked those snares and kicks.

Yeah that particular sr16/18 programming workflow makes you rely on your ears and wits to make patterns. I’m guessing there are other similar compact 90s drum machines with the same wyhiwyg workflow. I think I would usually work at a low bpm to be able to do 16th and triplets etc, then crank it back up to tempo.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:27 pm

Really enjoying my dynamic duo of TR-06 and D2000.

TR-06 with it's 5 trigger outs is the perfect pairing for the 5 triggers the D2000 needs and the advanced sequencing tricks the TR-06 has are great for both. Sound wise they complement each other since the TR-06 is like a familiar drive through the country side compared to the Fury Road madness of the D2000.

And if I want any sampled based drums to complement them I have the MC-707.

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 pm

TR-606: forever loved this beast for the hi/cymbal/snare and sometimes the toms, and the interface is simple and perfect, kick is ignored

TR-8S: super awesome in certain ways, deep and flexible, but also often sterile clean that can be hard to overcome. hate the clear plastic pattern buttons. haven't gelled with it yet, on the fence about selling it tbh

nord drum 2: nothing sounds like it, endless source of drum exploration, and my favorite drum source material for a vocoder. mfb seq-01 trigger sequencer to program it

these machines mostly sit in an 'auxiliary' mode next to the main drums (kick/clap/snares) coming from the modular

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm

gringostar wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:27 pm

TR-06 with it's 5 trigger outs is the perfect pairing for the 5 triggers the D2000 needs and the advanced sequencing tricks the TR-06 has are great for both. Sound wise they complement each other since the TR-06 is like a familiar drive through the country side compared to the Fury Road madness of the D2000.

have u played the tr-06 with the modular much, or just triggering multiple different units simultaneously? it seems like with the right minimalist sequences the random triggees might not make an awful mess of everything 🤔
i wana try & keep thinkin bout gettin one then spendin my 🍞 on video nonsense, just wondering how youre finding it

Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 pm

wackelpeter wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 am
R...and last but not least an Sound Master SR-88 the poor mans DR55 clone... which i have laying opened around here as i had plans to do some mods but due to lack of good readable schematics got stuck somewhere before i could start...

I rate my sr-88 way above my dr-55. programmable hats and the open high pass noise hat rule...

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:22 pm

moremagic wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm
gringostar wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:27 pm

have u played the tr-06 with the modular much, or just triggering multiple different units simultaneously? it seems like with the right minimalist sequences the random triggees might not make an awful mess of everything 🤔
i wana try & keep thinkin bout gettin one then spendin my 🍞 on video nonsense, just wondering how youre finding it
I have/do and totally recommend it, although you'd want a module that converts triggers to gates to really get full use out of it (Pico TG, Stages, TripFire, G&T). Also good is using the trigger in utilities to shift an instrument's sequence around to add some variation without going fully random, or use it to generate a completely random sequence of an instrument.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:18 pm

+1 to comments posted re the DT and TR8. I keep them around but they don't excite me.

The ones I do enjoy:
Volca Kick - I only use it for kicks but it can do a little more, I once did a whole track with one. I find it very aggressive and bold, which I like.
Behri RD6 - my fav at the moment. Indiv outs are rad. So immediate. Turning on its onboard overdrive and balancing levels is getting easier.

Technically drum machines but I don't use them like that:
Syncussion clone- from psycox. Love it so much.
DFAM - I can't keep the envelope closed for percussive duties when it sounds so good open!

Both of those get played the most, and I make them produce weird noises. I love the purposefully restricted interface and architecture of drum machines, it keeps me focused.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Why did I sell that Kord DDD-1 years ago?

Not using any at the moment. Playing with samplers filled with self build sounds and with the actual patches on Nord 2x, MnM and the modular.

Some how lusting after a 727, MD, Nord Drum and those two BR-XOX.

Aleyas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aleyas » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:28 am

DRM-1mkII is my mainstay. Noisy little thing with tons of quirks, but it has character for days. Took me a while to gel with it, but after it clicked I don’t think I could live without it.

Kawai XD5 is my other favorite drum synth. The ring mod, AM, key tracking and its nasty digital filter provide near limitless percussion potential. Doubles as a mean bass synth and polysynth too.

My most recent favorite ‘drum machine’ though is the Minilogue XD module with Tim Shoebridge’s Beats user oscillator. 4 voice polyphony which can take advantage of the unique chord modes, unison for massive drums, and the arp to punch in some variation on a beat. Tend to approach it differently, but it’s easy to take in far different directions than a typical drum machine because of the poly synth architecture. Nuts to layer the VCOs beneath the drum voices sometimes too. Makes me eager for their Drumlogue.

Moog MF-105m + some textured / filtered noise makes for a pretty decent drum machine also.

Hyberus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 am

I don't have a drum machine, but I sometimes wonder whether I should. Just for programming, though: I get my sounds from an Alesis DM Pro.

I do have drum machine history. At one time or another I've had: Boss DR55, Roland TR606, Korg KPR77, Roland TR707, Korg DM220, Roland TR727.
Random is the new maRnod

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:07 am

707. They don't get much love on this forum, but I like how simple they are.

The rim trig output has been permanently patched to Erica Bass Drum since I got one, so nice finally having a good BD to play with :party:

beats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:32 am

+1 for the 707.
Just add an HKA Design Eprom expansion and it gets even better !

Hyberus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 am

I loved the 707, which along with the 727 was the last physical drum machine I owned. I replaced them with an Alesis D4 and Cubase's drum page. I see they now fetch more than £500 secondhand.
Random is the new maRnod

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:44 am

u0421793 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:12 pm
Where’s the Korg Drumlogue ?
YEAH! :sb:

Where is DRUMALOGUE ?!

JankySwitch
Common Wiggler

Post by JankySwitch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:09 am

I've had a Yamaha RX15 since the mid-90s. 12-bit PCM with no real pitch control. It's always been a bit rubbish sounding on it's own. It's only in the last 8 years I found if you put it through a Midiverb II or loads of distortion and sequence it externally (more than two velocities!), it can sound quite good.

I recently got a Mode Machines ADX1. It's completely the opposite of the RX-15. Analogue and sounds great on it's own. I wanted a Syncussion and this is about the closest I could afford/find. Some times the attack on the bass drum can get a bit lost.

Using both of these together is great though. PCM cymbals, and claps cut through the analogue drums. The weedy kick drum on the RX-15 adds a really nice attack to the ADX1's softer bass. They work really well together :)

I also use samples from an S5000, but that gets used a lot less now. I recently bought an MC-101 and I think that could be a nice complement for drums too, but I've not set it up yet.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:39 am

Yamaha RX series are great imho and particularly the 15.
Yes, you can tweek the sound quite drastically routing the audio into locost pedals/rack and it will sounds gorgeous (but that's the case of many of those PCM based drum machine i guess). And YES velocity is the key !

As per hardware drum machine comes, i think integrated mixer is really handy for live situation.
It certainly is part of why the 707/727 are now reaching such crazy prices second hand (+ famous artists using it etc.). Saying that i almost cured my collection with an MPC one though the internal mixer is not as handy as physical sliders can be. (Maybe routing in a 16n would be nice, dunno)

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:33 pm

I have many drum machines. One might say to me: "You have too many drum machines." I would simply reply: "No." In fact, I just sent along some money for a Volca Drum earlier this morning... Here are the drum machines I have.

Elektron Machinedrum UW mk2. Needs no introduction. Ultimate classic for experimental drum design and sequencing.

Ciat-Lonbarde Plumbutter 2. The drum n' drama machine! Banana interface w other gear for super splat.

Korg Monotribe. I rarely use the ribbon synth but think the drum machine portion of this box constitutes a Secret Weapon.

Alesis HR16B (bent). Engage the bends, get sent to 8bit hell. Interesting.

Boss DR-770. Basic. But it's blue.

Boss DR-202. This used to sound fantastic but mine broke and now only sends MIDI, no audio. Vibe for days.

Zoom Streetboxx SB-246. This "boxx" is from the streets, fellows. It bangs hard.

Alesis XR-20. This box is also from the streets. It slaps and knocks hard.

Korg Volca Beats. I keep this around "just in case." It is neither my favorite nor my least favorite.

Korg ER-1 mk 1. Why is this so fun? I don't know. Run it through an analog filter for extra fat.

LEP Multicassa. Intuitive knobs sequencer and classic booms and clicks make this a guaranteed future classic. Run through a "glitch" pedal for extra interesting hits.

Pocket Operator PO-12. Big kick! Create sequences fast. Very fun FX section. I give these as gifts because they sound a lot better than their price tag suggests.

Bastl Kastle Drum. Tiny wires! I don't know how this works yet! It sounds supremely strange; awesome.

Roland TR6S. My main ax at the moment. Does everything I want a drum machine to do. Performance sliders are fun. Sound emulations are great. Holds my favorite samples. Small. A++ machine.

Those are the drum machines I have. I did not count rack mount gear, grooveboxes, or software or modular. I love drum machines.

Mind Flayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mind Flayer » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:01 pm

My two main machines are the Digitakt and the MPC Live II. Don’t know if either count as drum machines, since they’re samplers.

Have a Korg KR-55B which I like, but is currently for sale. I sampled all of the sounds and have gotten what I am going to get from this.

Volca Beats. If only the snare didn’t suck so bad…

Korg Monotribe. Agree with the poster above, I like the drums on this even though there are only three sounds.

Boss DR-110. Great snare and clap.

Others I have liked but no longer have, mainly because I sampled them and like the flexibility of samplers:
TR8, TR-8s, TR-08
TR-09
Boss DR-660
Tr-707
Tr-505
Volca Drum
Sr-16 and Sr-18
Tr-606
Tr-6s

Return to “General Gear”