Drum Machines

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Drum Machines

Post by MindMachine » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm

So I looked back about two years and found no general thread, though I thought there was one...

Just would love to hear about the machines we all use and how and why sort of thing.

I am more old 70's 80's Cluster Eno Tuxedo Moon Genesis Alice Cooper Wall of Voodoo Arthur Brown stuff.

Listed by acquisition date:

Yamaha RX-5 - fairly easy to program. Good sounds. Nice controls. Individual outs are a game changer. Need to learn better programming (yeah). Bought for $90.00. Usually use it to dominate a track because it sounds huge, especially through some rack via the manual buttons.

Roland CR-78 - dream machine since it was released and I was 13 yrs. old. Got one cheap about 10 yrs. ago. Have it hooked to a patch bay and typically use it to clock Mutable Grids and then process its sounds alongside whatever Grids controls and split the original sound into the main mix desk.

Korg KR Mini - $90.00. PCM and stock rhythms w/ dual layer and variation. This is used mostly for live manual play of the individual sounds (16 sounds). Process and process. Meant as a practice unit for guitar I guess.

Roland TR-77 - always wanted to sound like Wild Wild World of Animals intro and Eno's Another Green World. This was the closest I could find and it actually sounds quite a bit like the CR-78 in some regards (some sounds not rhythms), but very different in many ways too. So I keep it. Plus it fits my Roland RS-09 Mk I on top nicely. Play straight up. Western preset sounds like cowboys.

Roland TR-08 - found a real good deal on a new unit about a year ago. I got a brand new one for $ 299.00. I think they made a mistake... anyhoo. This is tied for my most used with the CR-78. I stink at programming still but get my rudimentary rhythms going. The sounds are really good. I never played a TR-808 but this machine sounds real good on its own. Use it for more downtempo tunes, don't treat it much yet (besides some rack stuff - no pedals).

Roland TR-707 - kind of new as far as using. Individual outs have not been used yet. Been used for electronic and electro-acoustic jams so far, but very limited programming. Could not pass up the deal and will make use of the individual outs once I learn to program the Roland style better.

Sadly still want a Maestro Rhythm King II.

joeboy
Common Wiggler

Re: Drum Machines

Post by joeboy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:34 pm

I love the primitive sounds on Tuxedomoon's early EPs. You don't really think of them as a "synth" act, but they got me in to making electronic music, hence username. I think they used a dr-55 and a Paia kit. It'd be nice to own either one of these days. There is something so ominous about hissy little boxes that makes them a perfect fit for minimal synth/post punk. Suicide is another good example.

I just use a 606 for everything these days. It's so anonymous; despite owning one I can't even hear it other people's music like a cr-78 or 808. I kinda appreciate that--doesn't overpower the track. Two separate trigger pulses is nice too. I don't think I need anything more for the time being.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:57 am

You might want to have a look at the MFB501 PRO, the kult has the same sounds but is much older.
This is my go-to oldskool sound drum machine, it does pitching really well via. Midi CC, and the sounds, OMG!
Very underrated, and it can go totally bonkers at times, everything you throw at it, especially "random" sequences with midi CC changing samples sounds awesome.

Also have a look at this one
https://www.electronicbeats.net/the-fee ... -dmx-krew/

I have used most of the MFB machines and the 502, 503 and 522 were my favorites but the 501 PRO is by far my favorite.

I had a Jomox Airbase which was also cool. I just found that it didnt play well with the music I make. Too rough and techno sounding for my personal taste.

I had the Roland TR8 and didnt like it, maybe because it was partly ugly, but also the sound. It didnt sound right to me.

Had all the Acidlab products and I found the Behringer RD8 more to my liking, it was like the tuning was a bit off on the Acidlab machines, but they are built very well and the Drumatix was my favorite.

Back in the days I had a Roland TR505 as I could not afford a 707 :waah:

My current setup is
Behringer RD8 which is a dream machine for me, for that 808 sound, only minus is the phase inverted individual outputs.
Also I have a modded RD6, and it sounds wonderful.
I have been a long time Elektron Machinedrum user, and also have the Rytm and the Octatack.
Been using a Norddrum2 together with my Machinedrum, basically I just trigger it and use midi CC. The Norddrum is a beast, it's like the Machinedrum on steroids and kind of a chameleon as it does a lot of sounds quite well, and can emulate real drums and percussion sounds.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 am

I had an SR16 for years, foolishly sold it, now use an SR18 which does everything I need from a drum machine, and it sounds filthy evil going through the MS20. I've never liked the primitive sounds of early drum machines- yes, I know they're on loads of famous songs, but to me they sound weak, tinny and fizzy, which I don't find charming. The 808 has one great sound, the kick, you can keep the rest :sstorm:
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:21 am

joeboy wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:34 pm
I love the primitive sounds on Tuxedomoon's early EPs. You don't really think of them as a "synth" act, but they got me in to making electronic music, hence username. I think they used a dr-55 and a Paia kit.
Cr-78....
And yes, I was wondering if your username was connected to them!
Peter is the guy that 33 years ago convinced me to give up playing the bass (I was hopeless at it) and pointed out that my forte was into synths and processing....

Back on topic, too many drum machines to actually name them all without forgetting some, and I wouldn't be able to count the past ones. But funnily enough I do not make much music anymore that involves beats, and yet still hold a fetish for them, from the early analogue crappy ones to the tr8....

u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:44 am

I’ve had plenty of drum machines (including Roland 505; 606; 808; Oberheim DMX, Alesis HR16B, and much more) but the only one I really miss was the DR-55 – why isn’t this available as a midified clone today, by some manufacturer known for cheaply mass-producing past synth fondnesses?
Last edited by u0421793 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 am

In a way, though, I’m surprised that there is still such a concept as a drum machine in 2021. I remember in the 90s some interview with the KLF where the interviewer enthusiastically asked what drum machines they used, and they replied with almost complete indifference that they used samples in a sampler.

You’d think that today the only drum machines that sound like real drums that need exist would be sample-loading sample-twisting boxes where the only real difference is the sequencing interface, if any – and they’d all sound the same as each other. That, or highly synthy percussive machines like the DFAM or Cycles and further into that realm.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:04 am

Maschine Plus , best drum synths I’ve used , not the most experimental , but you can spice with samples. For the money I’ve spent on analogue machines this has been by far the best unit. It had a rough start, but you can finish a drum track to a good standard and it doesn’t leave you wanting.
The drum synths do amazing real world kits too, so well in fact I wonder if some aren’t sample based ?
There’s the odd weak electronic drum synth, the hats need work, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Still much prefer them to Elektrons machines on the MD , save the FM which I was fond of.

There is an initial tedium of tagging sounds on the sample side in software , but it’s written as mp3 tag , so once it’s done , it’s done, but it is a time saver in the long run.

Drum machines I’ve had , vermona drm mk2 , Elektron MD , Tanzmaus , RD 8, Yocto , MPC 2000xl , MPC 500, Pioneer SP12 , Korg EMX , Roland Tr6s , Nord Drum 3p and Roland mc707.
None have come close to the versatility and sound of Maschine Plus if you think of it as a drum synth with extensive sample layering and effects. I imagine the new mpcs are great too, but I don’t like the interface , Maschine got my eye because everything is colour coded with a much more modern feeling interface and more direct control.

I’d mention the MC707 as it has very extensive parameters for envelope shaping , but it’s all hidden at that level , but if you don’t mind working through a matrix of parameters , I actually find it quite surgical and nice, then consider it. It also makes adding nuance easy with random pan and pitch controls and velocity on things like release and attack.
However it’s weak point is the output can sound a bit compressed and flat, however careful you seem to be. That said it’s so much fun I can’t see myself selling it, I’m much more likely to buy a backup.

My other fav at the moment is on iOS , Sugarbytes DrumCompter.
I did have the TR6 but found it pointless , I can make all those sounds on Maschine’s drum synths and dust them up.
Just like synths , the line between analogue and digital is so blurred it comes down to interface and groove. There is zero point in me having an analogue drum machine these days as the digital ones often have just as much or more character , as well as more hands on control.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:26 pm

I have more than I need, but the ones I own are:

Korg ER-1 mk2. Love it for the audio ins, the fx, dead easy. 4 bar sequencer, and it’s 808/909ish sounds. But it’s never going to sound like a acoustic kit.

Boss DR202. It’s ok, but dated. Kinda lives in my closet. I like it for the bass lines, filter & fx, and it’s light & portable. But not in any real hurry to dig it out.

Yamaha AN200/DX200….Different synth engines, but they have the same drum/bass sounds, trapped in a 1 bar sequencer. There’s loads of kicks/snares/toms/hats/vinyl scratches, but also congas, udos, zips & zaps. They’re both in the pawn shop at the moment, but I’m planning on getting them back.

Korg Volca Beats. It’s cheap. It has a ok delay sound. But it’s not much. In the pawn shop as well.

Behringer RD6. This is what I’m using the most right now. Sounds like a 606, has the individual outs, and now I just gotta pair it to a RD9 when I get around to ordering one.

I know everyone loves their TR8S & Digitakts, but they just seem a bit pricy for me, so I’m just doing fine without them.

If I were to recommend one, it’d maybe be the ER-1, but the RD6 is fun too.
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Output, Slew, Sample &
Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer Crave, RD6, TD3, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai
Miniak, S20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:09 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:04 am
Maschine Plus , best drum synths I’ve used , not the most experimental , but you can spice with samples. For the money I’ve spent on analogue machines this has been by far the best unit. It had a rough start, but you can finish a drum track to a good standard and it doesn’t leave you wanting.
The drum synths do amazing real world kits too, so well in fact I wonder if some aren’t sample based ?
There’s the odd weak electronic drum synth, the hats need work, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Still much prefer them to Elektrons machines on the MD , save the FM which I was fond of.

There is an initial tedium of tagging sounds on the sample side in software , but it’s written as mp3 tag , so once it’s done , it’s done, but it is a time saver in the long run.

Drum machines I’ve had , vermona drm mk2 , Elektron MD , Tanzmaus , RD 8, Yocto , MPC 2000xl , MPC 500, Pioneer SP12 , Korg EMX , Roland Tr6s , Nord Drum 3p and Roland mc707.
None have come close to the versatility and sound of Maschine Plus if you think of it as a drum synth with extensive sample layering and effects. I imagine the new mpcs are great too, but I don’t like the interface , Maschine got my eye because everything is colour coded with a much more modern feeling interface and more direct control.

I’d mention the MC707 as it has very extensive parameters for envelope shaping , but it’s all hidden at that level , but if you don’t mind working through a matrix of parameters , I actually find it quite surgical and nice, then consider it. It also makes adding nuance easy with random pan and pitch controls and velocity on things like release and attack.
However it’s weak point is the output can sound a bit compressed and flat, however careful you seem to be. That said it’s so much fun I can’t see myself selling it, I’m much more likely to buy a backup.

My other fav at the moment is on iOS , Sugarbytes DrumCompter.
I did have the TR6 but found it pointless , I can make all those sounds on Maschine’s drum synths and dust them up.
Just like synths , the line between analogue and digital is so blurred it comes down to interface and groove. There is zero point in me having an analogue drum machine these days as the digital ones often have just as much or more character , as well as more hands on control.
I never tried maschine, but i had trouble getting that 606 sound and the acidlab drumatix and the tr8 didnt get me close. So i am really happy with the RD6, it really does sound like my old tr606, i was amazed. The trig out is something i have really missed

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:49 pm

I have a major thing for hardware groove boxes and drum computers. I just like them. I never got into the vintage stuff.

Owned and sold/traded: MD mk2 UW+ (stupid to let go), MnM SF-60 mk2+ (stupid to let go), OT mk1, RYTM mk1, Tempest

Own: DT, DTN, A4 mk1, Deluge, MC-707, TR-8S, Medusa (sort of counts), Circuit OG, Monostation, Drumbrute, Tracker

A LXR-02 is in its way.

Yeah. I have a problem. It is a second illness after modular. A third is tiny synths.
----------------------------------------

kcearl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcearl » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:13 pm

I had a few drum machines, Elektron MD, Vermona mk3, TR626, Roland R8, Electribe 2, Yamaha RX5…had maschine too…bought an MPC Live four years ago and within six months I sold the lot and never touched Maschine again.

Now I have the Live, One, and Force…filled with all the Machine library and expansions, all my old drum machines were sampled in it, with Wave alchemy and Samples from Mars libraries its chocka :mrgreen:

spacessound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spacessound » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:14 pm

acidbob wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:09 pm

I never tried maschine, but i had trouble getting that 606 sound and the acidlab drumatix and the tr8 didnt get me close. So i am really happy with the RD6, it really does sound like my old tr606, i was amazed. The trig out is something i have really missed
That’s interesting. I never owned the acidlab drumatix but demoed it a couple of times and I really liked the extended range and added oomph in the bottom compared to the tr606 that I own. Which I only really keep for the hats… the sequencer of which seems to groove in a way I’ve not found elsewhere.

Otherwise I use a xbase 09 to sometimes sequence /paparamter lock the kick (something I can’t get out of a daw with samples). I’ve got an airbase in storage and owned an xbase888 which sounded great but the twitching pots were too much to put up with. Other percussion I’ll do with modular or or a korg ms20 and sometimes the monomachine makes some kooky stuff. In the cupboard too is a mpc1000 and elektron OT but I just keep them for live.

There’s something very satisfying about a drum machine and I’ve bought and sold a few over the years … sometimes I have hold myself back making and ultimately senseless purchase. That’s why keeping a couple in the cupboard makes sense for me…once I year I can pull it out and have the new oh yeah feeling
Spaces Sound Latest release on Bandcamp.
another project here.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:38 pm

I just have two:

Analog Rytm: Great balance simplicity and depth. You can design your own sounds within the engine but, unlike the Tempest for example, each engine is designed for certain types of sounds, which means there are limits but also advantages to each engine. I've upgraded from the mk1 to mk2 but otherwise haven't felt the need to shop for drum machines since getting the Rytm.

MFB 522: Dead simple old school drum machine that I got years ago that is cool for that specific sound.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:56 pm

Had all sorts back in the day, although never more than 2 at any one time: 808, 606, Drumulator, Drumtraks, and the SCI Tom. I really liked the Tom although it was very flakey. More recently I had a TR8s which was great in every way except the sound - very safe and predictable, nothing really weird or interesting and the parameters constrained to a "nice" range. Also had the 01/IV - twice! Love the sound but it's very poorly designed interface and hidden functions are too much to overcome, it needs to be partnered with both a dedicated MIDI controller and a sequencer. Only one now is the LXR-02. It's digital, but a drum synth rather than a sampler (which I much prefer), and although there's a lot of knob twiddling it can get very weird and wild.
My ideal drum machine would be an analog drum synth, knob-per-function, with onboard sequencer. I could make do with four voices (like the 01/IV), wouldn't even need to have patch memories, just patterns. Something like a Vermona Perfourmer merged with an LXR-02 :)

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm

I have:

Jomox 999 (needs battery replacement)

Arturia Drumbrute (never use it - only a few sounds I like)

TR-08
TR-09
Both fun. Tip for these drum machines. Go into the menus for the drum sounds and tweak. You will get way better sounds out of them, especially can get a much thumpier 808 kick.

What I am mainly using at the moment:

Toraiz SP-16 as a drum sampler

Sequenced by Cirklon:
Integra-7 as drum rompler (using Cirklon in CK mode)
Jomox Modbase 09 MKII - simply awesome especially using CV to modulate. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you it is a just a 909 kick emulator they don’t know what they are talking about, it is way more flexible than that.

Sequenced by Cirklon and Eurorack sequencers:
Eurorack noise, filters, envelopes and effects for percussion
ER-301 for percussion using internal and external filters, effects and modulation

Some of these get routed to Zen Delay, Strymon El Capistan, Boss digital delay. Also use Soundhack Echoboy.

MisterJ
Common Wiggler

Post by MisterJ » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:58 pm

I have three, a Sequential Studio 440, a Sequetial Drumtraks and an MPC5000. I got the 440 when they were still affordable because I had a Prophet VS and the 440 is like an extension to it with what the VS lacks, drums and sampling. The slider, switches, display and chassis are the same as the VS. I've had it over 20 years and for the longest time, it was my only drum machine and I didn't do much music with drums, I was creating grooves with bass lines and chord changes and using the sequencer of the 440 more than the drums. The Drumtraks I found at a yard sale in trashed condition and I've revived it from the dead and restored it to working condition. I love it for its simplicity. I turn it on and in 10 seconds, it's ready to do a beat. Programming it is fast, simple and intuitive. 8 bit drums have their charm, one of which is they mix well because they have no high end. I use the individual outs to a submixer. The mono mix out is low in volume and out of phase with the individual outs. The MPC5000 I got last year and it's the only 21st century drum machine I own. It's a perfect compliment to the 440. The MPC has that urban hard edged MPC sound while the 440 is more circular trance psychedelic. I have it set up so that either can run the other through midi sync and I can play both at once and each can trigger sounds in the other. Sometimes, I've accidentally created feedback loops and had all kinds of crazy chaotic rhythms spontaneously generating themselves.

My drum machines have been the most demanding gear I have in terms of servicing and maintenance. The Drumtraks was a full on restoration and I still have some switches to replace. The other two have had ongoing issues and I've put time and money into both this summer to keep them in decent playing condition.
Contact resistance is the root of all evil!

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Oh yeah had the RYTM as well forgot , wasnt a fan , sounded spongy and very dark, but then as much as I love Elektron’s sequencer I haven’t liked any of the synths. I don’t even look at them now , the only one I could see myself buying is the digitak.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

3hands
is banned
is banned

Post by 3hands » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm

TR-08
TR-09
Both fun. Tip for these drum machines. Go into the menus for the drum sounds and tweak. You will get way better sounds out of them, especially can get a much thumpier 808 kick.
Thanks for this! I’ve had my 09 for 2 years now and haven’t gone in and played with the menus. Will do that tonight!

I am using the 09 as a main drum machine. Also have an MPC2000, a Simmons SDS1000 and a Weird old drum brain called the Ultimate Percussion UP5. Does some wild things! Using Devons Weston AD110 which is a KILLER DR 110 clone in euro. Much more control over parameters. My favourite is the ability to delay the spread of the claps allowing some massive church clap sounds.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

ATW
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:54 pm

unclebastard wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 am
I had an SR16 for years, foolishly sold it, now use an SR18 which does everything I need from a drum machine, and it sounds filthy evil going through the MS20. I've never liked the primitive sounds of early drum machines- yes, I know they're on loads of famous songs, but to me they sound weak, tinny and fizzy, which I don't find charming. The 808 has one great sound, the kick, you can keep the rest :sstorm:
Same, I sold my SR-16 after many years, for no particular reason aside from it was gathering a bit of dust. It’s luckily pretty easy to scoop one up for under $100. Haven’t checked out the SR18–do you prefer it over the SR-16?

My current drum machines, in order of acquisition:

Korg ES-1 — fun & immediate, good for performance, gateable audio input, weird sampling rate for that crispy lo-fi digital flavor, super easy and fun to use. A bit of a chore to get new samples on it, but I did that awhile ago
and many of the sounds are still pretty good.

Digitakt — it’s like a grown up ES-1, and then some. Though not as jammable because of the denser UI. Solid sound quality and sound design options, deep feature set especially with the new firmware, and quite versatile/flexible in terms of interfacing with other gear, modular, etc. I wouldn’t soon want more complexity in a drum machine/sampler. Quite easy to get musical results quickly once familiarized. It’s not capital F fun yet, but when I commit to spending some time with it, it’s often worth it.

Nord Drum 2: Great sounding engine, unique without having an obvious signature sound (to my ears). I use it primarily with my eurorack rig, along with the Massive Midi Modulator for insane glitch fun.

Volca Drum: picked this up in a trade and haven’t spent enough time with it yet to get a good feel for it. Seems pretty capable in terms of sound design in particular.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:45 pm

3hands wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm

TR-08
TR-09
Thanks for this! I’ve had my 09 for 2 years now and haven’t gone in and played with the menus. Will do that tonight!

I am using the 09 as a main drum machine. Also have an MPC2000, a Simmons SDS1000 and a Weird old drum brain called the Ultimate Percussion UP5. Does some wild things! Using Devons Weston AD110 which is a KILLER DR 110 clone in euro. Much more control over parameters. My favourite is the ability to delay the spread of the claps allowing some massive church clap sounds.
I think this video gives you some good tips on the settings.

u0421793
Common Wiggler

Post by u0421793 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:56 pm

I have to admit, my current drum machine: the Step sequencer within Logic Pro X
I’m probably never going back to anything else

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 pm

with analog drum machines,, i love the old silky and bouncey tone of early 70s preset boxes. over the years, i managed to grab most i loved best. alas, i rarely use them in projects, as i never get arround to finally install unipulse:

Acetone FR-3
Acetone FR-6
Roland TR-77

ones that see some action have din sync and/or midi:

E-Mu SP-12 Turbo - my favorite digital/hybrid dm
Roland CR-8000 - wonderfully snappy, less overused than 808 but in that family of sound
TR9090 module - great 909 box, tho i'd prefer a desktop for easier tweaking instead of rack
Akai S950 and Emax1 hybrid samplers - amazing for lofi drums/stabs/loops etc
- music for film, tv and theatre -

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 pm

u0421793 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 am
In a way, though, I’m surprised that there is still such a concept as a drum machine in 2021. I remember in the 90s some interview with the KLF where the interviewer enthusiastically asked what drum machines they used, and they replied with almost complete indifference that they used samples in a sampler.

You’d think that today the only drum machines that sound like real drums that need exist would be sample-loading sample-twisting boxes where the only real difference is the sequencing interface, if any – and they’d all sound the same as each other. That, or highly synthy percussive machines like the DFAM or Cycles and further into that realm.
Well you refer to an interview from the 90's and yes everything you mention already exists and why would you want all machines to sound the same. Are you Devo?

This thread is about all drum machines. From organ driven to sampling to pcm junk and hybrid funk.

We love the machines and their sounds.

Which do you own?

And yes that Nord Drum 2 is awesome. With pads especially I bet.

edit: clusterchord - I just recorded a live vocla tune on TR-77 'Western program called 'Western'. It references the machine and program name as it sings about cotton candy trails and buffalo loads. A little odd.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm

Just remembered: Back in the early 80s a bandmate had a Yamaha MR-10 preset analog drum machine. By itself it's weak and awful, but we put it through an MS-20 and it was an industrial beast of amazing power! Looking back it's what we should have used as the main drums of the band....

Return to “General Gear”