Mr. Dataline leaves Elektron

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Re: Mr. Dataline leaves Elektron

Post by DJ Tap Water » Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 am

The model boxes were innovative in their own way. Knob per function approach.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon May 03, 2021 2:23 am

Yeah, and they are really good. Model:Cycles might even be great, I've not decided yet.
Hazy, organic, drone ambient. 💨

skunk3
Common Wiggler

Post by skunk3 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:38 am

Dataline is likely largely responsible for the vast majority of Elektron's sales over the last decade. I don't know the nature of the split, but their loss.

As far as Elektron goes as a company, I don't think they've been slipping. Their newer gear still rocks and making more affordably-priced units isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Digitakt is one of the most compelling bits of gear I've used in a very long time and at one point or another I've owned most of their products. (I never did gel with the OT though... not nearly intuitive enough.)

I also am hoping for a Machinedrum MKIII that has a simple workflow like the original but loads of new features and improved audio / FX quality. The RYTM is great but for me it felt like a lot more work to coax good sounds out of it and it wasn't as nearly as intuitive as the Machinedrum.
"vocoders are shameful in publics"

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon May 03, 2021 5:10 am

naturligfunktion wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 am
I agree, they have been sending out a weird vibe lately. Less boxes that symbolies industrial robot music, more fun boxes that you can put stickers on.
Robot music is the category that I didn't know I needed!

It's a shame that they don't have the development horsepower to develop new machines that are deep and complex as well as toys that play well on the socials. Slightly warmed-over updates of their past glories don't cut it. I'm sad now, thinking how an Octatrack replacement with the power of modern processing could sound, too- that would be sorely tempting.

I'm biased as I'm still in search of that elusive non-computer portable "workstation" sequencer. Maybe I will crack and get an MPC in the end, most of the alternatives seem to have been a let-down.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 am

I think he should kept the speculative (bitter?) words and hints either out of his statement or speak frankly about what's on his mind. So this leaves a bad taste of trying to damage the reputation of his ex employer while not really having to guts to open address his points.

Towards the Model: boxes I think they only lack an AD envelope response.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

naturligfunktion
Ultra Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Mon May 03, 2021 6:43 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:10 am
naturligfunktion wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 am
I agree, they have been sending out a weird vibe lately. Less boxes that symbolies industrial robot music, more fun boxes that you can put stickers on.
Robot music is the category that I didn't know I needed!
We all need robot music 8-)
[snip]

I'm biased as I'm still in search of that elusive non-computer portable "workstation" sequencer. Maybe I will crack and get an MPC in the end, most of the alternatives seem to have been a let-down.
Yes 100 %! I've been looking for one of those for a while now, and it seems that the MPC is the way to go.
Uplifting music suitable for sunny days and relaxing afternoons:

Bandcamp

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon May 03, 2021 7:08 am

skunk3 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:38 am
As far as Elektron goes as a company, I don't think they've been slipping. Their newer gear still rocks and making more affordably-priced units isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Digitakt is one of the most compelling bits of gear I've used in a very long time and at one point or another I've owned most of their products. (I never did gel with the OT though... not nearly intuitive enough.)

I also am hoping for a Machinedrum MKIII that has a simple workflow like the original but loads of new features and improved audio / FX quality. The RYTM is great but for me it felt like a lot more work to coax good sounds out of it and it wasn't as nearly as intuitive as the Machinedrum.
i agree with everything said here. ive also owned pretty well much everything in one iteration or another. i didnt get along with the OT and the new entry level-products are tight. eventually id like to see an MK2 DT with individual outputs because that is its achilles heel imo. MD is still king and a penultimate version would sell insanely well. i like the low-rate audio quality of the original. it would be nice to have an option to specify low rate or high def. and i almost agree with you 100% about the AR, i think lots of users share that same opinion, there aren’t many sweet spots (never tried the LFO trick). but as far as intuition goes, its definitely the best UI for a what it does imo.
Last edited by Red Electric Rainbow on Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOO FAR GONE

blech
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blech » Mon May 03, 2021 10:01 am

slumberjack wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 am
...while not really having to guts to open address his points.
I doubt that it is a matter of guts. There could be a non-disclosure agreement involved which would limit the amount of detail he can share publicly. Even without that, he doesn't owe strangers on the Internet anything.

Reading it again now, he was very diplomatic. All he said, basically, was that things have changed and most of the people he started with and admired are gone. There is nothing snide or damaging in his comments, and he's certainly entitled to express some emotion after giving ten years of his career to that business.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am

Kattefjaes wrote:

Akai Force has been tempting me a lot lately. I think it's the crossfader.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 am

blech wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:01 am
slumberjack wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 am
...while not really having to guts to open address his points.
I doubt that it is a matter of guts. There could be a non-disclosure agreement involved which would limit the amount of detail he can share publicly. Even without that, he doesn't owe strangers on the Internet anything.

Reading it again now, he was very diplomatic. All he said, basically, was that things have changed and most of the people he started with and admired are gone. There is nothing snide or damaging in his comments, and he's certainly entitled to express some emotion after giving ten years of his career to that business.
While I agree with you on the first point I'd say that a diplomatic explanation is something different where I come from.

Quote: Best part of it all, most of my Elektron colleagues whom I started with and looked up to have already left Elektron, which makes me incredibly happy to be joining the ex-elektron crew of legends!)

If you print words in public like these - around here this is seen as diplomatic saying I'm happy to leave the sinking ship since all good people already are gone and I'm glad that I belong to them. Especially in context with words like abrupt, sharp turn and part ways. Again, around here these words mean 'instant dismissal' and not really in mutual agreement.

But yeah Sweden is not Switzerland (haw-haw!) and people here are super sensitive on the use of language and since I don't know shit how the people up north are communicating such issues I should STFU I guess. He's a marketing professional and knows exactly which words he is using and the impact they gonna have. And if there would be an agreement of non-disclosure I wouldn't be surprised if he went right into a blurry zone of what he's able to say before crossing the line since if you have to do such contracts there is obviously something not consensual.

It's for sure a loss but I'm eager to know where we gonna see him next time promoting stuff! I like his style thought.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 am

geremyf wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am
Kattefjaes wrote:

That one has flown under my radar a bit, I should probably investigate.

I had a Digitakt- amazingly nice sound quality (lovely fx and interpolation) - lack of separate outs and song mode were a bummer. Sold it. Had a Polyend Tracker, worries about the longevity of the encoder, noise issues and bugs made it not fun to use, sold it. I feel like I am a total target market for something with a modern equivalent of an Octatrack feature set, but Elektron are going the opposite way.

So- tell me your thoughts on the Force, if you a moment, please.

Edit:

I have waded through the entire Force thread, I should make that clear. Looks like the arranger is working etc.. More curious what else you know that I could miss 8-)
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Mon May 03, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 am

geremyf wrote:
ive heard nothing but good things about it. same goes for the MPC Live 2 and the MPC Pro X.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 am
lack of separate outs
such a massive oversight. not sure how they all looked at eachother and said thought that was a good idea.
TOO FAR GONE

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 am
Kattefjaes wrote:
lack of separate outs
such a massive oversight. not sure how they all looked at eachother and said thought that was a good idea.
A cynic might suggest "market segmentation". Honestly, with more outs and a simple song mode, DT would have been a monster at the price, given how nice it sounds.

Edit: I suppose more converters for more outs would have pushed the BOM up somewhat, mind, but not too much..
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

blech
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blech » Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am

I don't think speculating about Elektron being a "sinking ship", as you say, based on Cenk's statement amounts to much. He was obviously trying to put some kind of positive spin on the situation for himself.

That doesn't mean he's gutless for fuck's sake, he just said what he was comfortable saying on social media to let a small fraction of the incredibly tiny number of people on the planet who even know what Elektron is that he won't be there anymore and that he had a positive experience overall.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Mon May 03, 2021 11:48 am

Kattefjaes wrote:

Edit:

I have waded through the entire Force thread, I should make that clear. Looks like the arranger is working etc.. More curious what else you know that I could miss 8-)
There is a whole Force Academy with videos, but this one got me especially...now I imagine it controlling external hardware and having a small mixer (like one of the zoom 12s) next to it, but in general, it's pretty cool.

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 am
If you print words in public like these - around here this is seen as diplomatic saying I'm happy to leave the sinking ship since all good people already are gone and I'm glad that I belong to them. Especially in context with words like abrupt, sharp turn and part ways. Again, around here these words mean 'instant dismissal' and not really in mutual agreement.
That's how I read it, too.

It's a bad look for any company to have a public, messy departure like this. Elektron should take care of their own, especially for a revered team member, and find ways to make these types of things more mutual. Sure, sometimes there is just bad blood, creative disagreements, etc. It may or may not be a sinking ship, but it is a company willing to look like a bully. I can think of another company like that.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
geremyf wrote:
Kattefjaes wrote:

That one has flown under my radar a bit, I should probably investigate.

I had a Digitakt- amazingly nice sound quality (lovely fx and interpolation) - lack of separate outs and song mode were a bummer. Sold it. Had a Polyend Tracker, worries about the longevity of the encoder, noise issues and bugs made it not fun to use, sold it. I feel like I am a total target market for something with a modern equivalent of an Octatrack feature set, but Elektron are going the opposite way.

Edit:

I dove heavily into the MPC Live and checked out the force. Had a bunch of Elektron gear as well. Pains me to say but the fastest way for me to get the best sounds for my music and mangle samples the easiest is Push2, ableton, some quality synths (soft and hardware) and kontakt.

The force appears to be pretty great but i suspect from reviewing that i would prefer to use my 3rd party Vstis or abletons synths over the akai versions.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Mon May 03, 2021 12:44 pm

SingIt wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm
The force appears to be pretty great but i suspect from reviewing that i would prefer to use my 3rd party Vstis or abletons synths over the akai versions.
Yeah I wouldn't use the Force's internal synths much. Maybe as a sketch pad while traveling. I would rely on midi controls of external synths and internal samples mostly. The worst part of Force for me is a single stereo input. That's I would pair it with something like a Zoom L-12 to facilitate the sampling of external gear.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 03, 2021 12:45 pm

blech wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am
I don't think speculating about Elektron being a "sinking ship", as you say, based on Cenk's statement amounts to much. He was obviously trying to put some kind of positive spin on the situation for himself.

That doesn't mean he's gutless for fuck's sake, he just said what he was comfortable saying on social media to let a small fraction of the incredibly tiny number of people on the planet who even know what Elektron is that he won't be there anymore and that he had a positive experience overall.
The ship was not ment literally for the company in bad shape. More like different ideas what's right and wrong between him and the board on decisions to take. My wording with guts was maybe a bit rough I have to say, I'm not a native speaker and I thought guts means courage but it seems to me now it's a stronger expression than that. Let me put it that way: In my view he could have been more concrete.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon May 03, 2021 12:46 pm

I'm sure Dataline will be fine. I'm sure Elektron will be fine. These things happen in business. That said, with his public swipe against Elektron, Dataline seems to be asking for drama.

==========

Editor/writer-- The SissyFuss

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon May 03, 2021 1:26 pm

Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 am
Kattefjaes wrote:
lack of separate outs
I would happily pay 2x for the Cycles with nothing more than individual Outs and per Track FX.

Having nothing but Stereo Outs is a huge PITA.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon May 03, 2021 3:24 pm

BlinkyLights wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:26 pm
I would happily pay 2x for the Cycles with nothing more than individual Outs and per Track FX.

Having nothing but Stereo Outs is a huge PITA.
i always say this about drum machines, but imo individual outs should be industry standard by now. i dont care if they’re mini jacks either.
TOO FAR GONE

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm

The absence of them almost ought to be criminal.

It's at least worth a public flogging in town square.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon May 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Mon May 03, 2021 3:24 pm
i always say this about drum machines, but imo individual outs should be industry standard by now. i dont care if they’re mini jacks either.
Getting a Roland Boutique flashback here...

Return to “General Gear”