Mr. Dataline leaves Elektron

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mr. Dataline leaves Elektron

Post by Sinamsis » Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm

That's a bummer. The guy's amazing at what he does, and really inspires me to learn these machines better. In general, I think the sentiment that Elektron's trajectory has slowed a bit when it comes to pushing boundaries and innovating is probably true, but I don't think it's halted. And as a company grows and does well, I think some people inherently respond in a negative manner. For me, the Rytm and the OT have blown my mind. They have truly been a joy to work with and on the OT I know I've barely scratched the surface. In the studio or on the couch, they are just so fun to play and I feel so creative when I use them.

I think the comments about the DT aren't unfounded, but at the same time they're not totally fair. The whole point of the DT is to be budget friendly and compact. And of course they don't want to cannabalize other products. And Overbridge was their solution. I think to add 8 DA converters and other associated circuity and physical outputs probably would have increased the price point. OB did that without contributing to manufacturing costs. Yes it required RD, but that was applied to a line of devices. Anyways having everything mixed in the box, coming to a stereo out and being processed together to create a glue isn't a bad thing. And you can always multitrack if you don't want OB. I know it's a pain in the ass. But for what you get in the DT sound generating side (including that wonderful control all feature I miss so much), and 8 MIDI sequences on top (!!) I think it's an incredible value. If I really were to complain it would be the mono sampling, but I get that too.

skunk3
Common Wiggler

Post by skunk3 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Re: Digitakt - no time stretch sucks. Hard. I love that device to pieces but sold mine because of the lack of time stretch. Got a MPC One now and I love it aside from only having stereo outs. I also have a TR8s and it's almost flawless. Every drum machine should have per part volume faders IMO.
"vocoders are shameful in publics"

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Tue May 04, 2021 5:34 am

Well not sure about the sinking ship. My first Elektron was before Cenk started at the company, at that time Daniel helped me out a lot and the customer support was superb. It was kind of very friendly non cooperate like, things have changed because the company has gotten a lot bigger, and to be honest I think they still offer great support and the repair service is excelent.
Sad to see Cenk leave, but maybe just maybe, some people are not working well in big companies.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 am

RE: Digitakt's lack of individual outs, check out this thread: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digitone ... ess/143049
Looks like the guy building this is getting close to a finished product in a few months (though we all know how that goes).

Anyways looking quickly at the back of my DT, there is no way they could fit 8 outputs in this form factor. Not without sacrificing a whole bunch of other connections. I like the square-ish form factor, so I'd rather have a separate breakout box for when I actually need it.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 am
If you print words in public like these - around here this is seen as diplomatic saying I'm happy to leave the sinking ship since all good people already are gone and I'm glad that I belong to them. Especially in context with words like abrupt, sharp turn and part ways. Again, around here these words mean 'instant dismissal' and not really in mutual agreement.
i agree, its a speak, that could easily be understood like donne with intent to damage.
taken more positiv, it still sounds quite "sour".

but thats where many of us are anyway:
"its the lost potential" that makes me personally sour.

but then:
the "Toy" market rules these days.
and they probably nolonger target advanced and pro users but the kiddys.

elektroin is gonne, ...........and much likely won´t come back.
I personally had too many elektrons allready, that as good they were, felt like toys in daily use.
i.e. beeing restricted in entirely unnecessary and stupid ways on one end or the other, or both.
it even killed my lust to further invest my time, using such gear.
(while everything non-elektron i tryed, fell apart immediately anyway, lol....and was all just sent back )

but hey, the kiddys are coming.........there you make your money,
and not with some picky, halfassed internet pros, nor a few handfull of real advanced guys and pros.
...this scene does not bring you the "investor money" back in............this scene just could make a living for a few Freaks !
but thats nolonger what Elektron is.

all the best luck @Cenk ! .............Job well donne Mr.Dataline !!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm

bedhed3000 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 am
Anyways looking quickly at the back of my DT, there is no way they could fit 8 outputs in this form factor. Not without sacrificing a whole bunch of other connections.
mini-jacks would fit
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm

skunk3 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm
I also have a TR8s and it's almost flawless. Every drum machine should have per part volume faders IMO.
the TR8S is great at what it does. non-global control over output routing is still super annoying.
TOO FAR GONE

mor4sso
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mor4sso » Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm

lol to the dude saying elektron boxes are toys.

i guess in the respect that they're legitimately fun to use and play with, your argument may be true....

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:22 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm
bedhed3000 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 am
Anyways looking quickly at the back of my DT, there is no way they could fit 8 outputs in this form factor. Not without sacrificing a whole bunch of other connections.
mini-jacks would fit
I suppose you are right. Someone on that thread I linked had an interesting idea of using a DB socket. That would save a ton of space not to mention cable clutter.

bf
12 Bit Wiggler

Post by bf » Tue May 04, 2021 5:04 pm

skunk3 wrote:
Re: Digitakt - no time stretch sucks. Hard. I love that device to pieces but sold mine because of the lack of time stretch. Got a MPC One now and I love it aside from only having stereo outs. I also have a TR8s and it's almost flawless. Every drum machine should have per part volume faders IMO.
Time stretch can be achieved on the Digitakt.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Tue May 04, 2021 6:10 pm

Can Synthstrom Audible pick him up off wavers to start peddling the Deluge? ;)

Some of those "Dark Trinity" era videos were amazing ("Sad Look" for example) obviously are more than just gear demos and are part of actual albums that are worth listening to.

Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue May 04, 2021 7:20 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:10 pm
Can Synthstrom Audible pick him up off wavers to start peddling the Deluge? ;)

Some of those "Dark Trinity" era videos were amazing ("Sad Look" for example) obviously are more than just gear demos and are part of actual albums that are worth listening to.

as much as that video rules it also reminds me why i stepped away from using elektron - i felt boxed into the elektron paradigm. theres nothing wrong with it and plenty of people can manage just fine using it as a tool but i almost always only used elektron gear with other elektron gear.
TOO FAR GONE

skunk3
Common Wiggler

Post by skunk3 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:24 pm

bf wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:04 pm
skunk3 wrote:
Time stretch can be achieved on the Digitakt.
Very cool to know! It's a great box but just kinda redundant for my setup. If I was doing more live sample mangling type stuff I'd definitely get another (especially since I hate the Octatrack) but I've already got my bases covered. I've sold two of them already, lol! The TR8s, for me, is a forever-keeper, or at least until I have an emergency or decide to get out of hardware completely. I'd say that the Digitakt can reward exploration to a greater degree than the TR8s but, for me, the MPC One + TR8s combo just works better. (I'm a pretty old school MPC user, after all.) For very small setups or even just lugging around 1 piece of gear to jam with while on the road, the Digitakt is a very obvious top contender. It's badass. We live in a great time. Seems like it was yesterday when I was doing live sets with first-gen Korg Electribes and Roland grooveboxes. The stuff we have at our disposal nowadays is so much better.
"vocoders are shameful in publics"

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:23 pm

mor4sso wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm
lol to the dude saying elektron boxes are toys.

i guess in the respect that they're legitimately fun to use and play with, your argument may be true....
its:
"Toy" vs. "something mature" !!!

i´m not saying the Elektron boxes are not good.
i liked them alots, and i made my point that i never liked anything other.

toys are for me: "unfinished products" or "products just made for the quick fun".
any child plays its toy just for so and so long, and would switch then to the next one.
thats toyland !

make a mature product, that does not leave wishes open, ...and you get a satiesfied customer who won´t buy the next, and the next, and the next toy.
And thats *the dead of the market*. The Market that investors want to see.
its that simple.

thats why everybody has turned "toy-making" now.
and i´m so free to call a Toy a Toy.

mor4sso
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mor4sso » Wed May 05, 2021 8:27 am

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am

so where is going? where are all the ex elektron employees?

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 pm

orbita wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am
so where is going? where are all the ex elektron employees?
Daniel Troberg, the alleged "father of the Octatrack" is with Ashun Sound Machines now. he was at Elektron for 20 years. someone else (forget who) that was there since early on/beginning of Elektron is with Teenage Engineering now. Ess, who was one of the principle Digitone and Model:Cycles designers, is working on his own thing now, which I don't think is public yet. he's done some work with the M8 tracker. I'm not sure it's more than just testing and sound design, but could be he helped with the FM synth inside that.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu May 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Ess's new venture is https://fors.fm.

Max 4 Live Synths, sequencers and fx.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 am
I think he should kept the speculative (bitter?) words and hints either out of his statement or speak frankly about what's on his mind. So this leaves a bad taste of trying to damage the reputation of his ex employer while not really having to guts to open address his points.

Towards the Model: boxes I think they only lack an AD envelope response.
I got that vibe as well , but equally it could be a nod to warn buyers he has influenced and may feel indebted to in some way.
But then my gf says I always give people too much credit.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill » Thu May 06, 2021 4:03 pm

I have been trying to hold back and not throw myself into this one but I feel some of this criticism of elektron is truly ridiculous.

To call their devices toys and incomplete is to assume there are devices that are "complete" there is no such thing as a complete device. Devices do certain things and certain people desire certain things those two will never completely overlap for everyone.

They make amazing creatively stimulating musical devices that make a lot of people happy. For me, the value is actually pretty darn good even for their higher-end devices.

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba » Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 am

Im guessing Elektron has been sold (Not announced yet) (similar to Sequential) and maybe the employees won't have the same freedom

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri May 07, 2021 2:30 am

exper wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:22 pm
Ess's new venture is https://fors.fm.

Max 4 Live Synths, sequencers and fx.

I didn't realize until now that Max4Live patches are a market.

Return to “General Gear”