Mr. Dataline leaves Elektron

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

borg029un03
Learning to Wiggle

Mr. Dataline leaves Elektron

Post by borg029un03 » Sun May 02, 2021 1:01 am

Industrial Techno Template for the Analog Rytm:
https://gum.co/wSHfG

Analog Rytm Techno Preset Pack:
https://gum.co/ERTPbMB

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Mr. Dataline leaves Elektron

Post by electricfence » Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am

I remember the first time I saw one of his OT demos. It was just amazing. I hope he lands somewhere awesome.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun May 02, 2021 10:03 am

Kind of makes you worry about the future of Elektron and what this "sharp turn" means.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sun May 02, 2021 10:11 am

It's pretty easy to see that since elektron got into the investor business mindset they went a bit haywire.
They make v2 product by just making basically a new colored device.. I feel like they are there more to make money than to provide something the community want. Just my feeling maybe idk
WTB: Mimeophon, WMD SSF DPLR, SSF Vortices, Frap tools 321, MI Warps

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun May 02, 2021 10:43 am

Awwh, their loss. He's an engaging dude and makes their products look like instant fun.

Elektron has been less interesting lately in any case- not just saying that because I feel like an overbridge-capable Octatrack sequel is long long overdue, either. I wonder if they're going more into unambitious short term/quarterly results-led and influencer-focussed toys? It's a bit of a vibe I have been getting for some reason.
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Sun May 02, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Sun May 02, 2021 10:52 am

I think the Mark 2s are reasonable, they added a few features and presumably updated their manufacturing. I see the real turning point as being Digitakt and everything after. Those new products are so derivative of their prior products; they seem to have pretty much decided to just take existing hardware and software and repackage them in increasingly cheaper boxes. Not exactly a creative approach or one aimed at making innovative products.

And yes, I’m sure those newer boxes are fine on their own merits, but they’re not really packed with new ideas.

Anyway, wishing Mr. Dataline the best, his demos were absolutely top-notch, some of the best I’ve ever seen for any products ever.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Sun May 02, 2021 10:58 am

Elektron as a company is way less compelling now than it was even 5 years ago. And from his post it doesn’t seem like it’s heading in a better direction

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Sun May 02, 2021 11:03 am

Oh no.

He's great.

I wish him the best.

kons
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kons » Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 am

OP's original post is completely blank (some kinda social media block somewhere doing something) anyone care to re-post it or paraphrase it for me.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sun May 02, 2021 11:38 am

trickness wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:58 am
Elektron as a company is way less compelling now than it was even 5 years ago. And from his post it doesn’t seem like it’s heading in a better direction
Unfortunately I feel the same way. Hope I’m wrong, they have made some legendary machines.

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 am

kons wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 am
OP's original post is completely blank (some kinda social media block somewhere doing something) anyone care to re-post it or paraphrase it for me.
He basically said that he’s leaving after the company made a “sharp turn.” He started with the introduction of the OT, and is leaving during its 10th anniversary year. Also, many of his Elektron friends are no longer working there. Now he’s going to focus on Dataline music and content. There were pics.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun May 02, 2021 1:17 pm

is this a thread for "general gear"? :hmm:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun May 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Stice wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:52 am
I see the real turning point as being Digitakt and everything after. Those new products are so derivative of their prior products; they seem to have pretty much decided to just take existing hardware and software and repackage them in increasingly cheaper boxes. Not exactly a creative approach or one aimed at making innovative products.

And yes, I’m sure those newer boxes are fine on their own merits, but they’re not really packed with new ideas.
those products make sense for a lot of reasons imo. historically, detractors of elektron products hate the workflow and aren’t afraid to warn others. their full-fledged units have a high price tag and anyone on a budget may not be willing to shell out $1600+ to find out they dont enjoy them. but entry level units at entry level prices showcasing the brands popular features is a lot easier to stomach on budget.

either way, all the best to dataline.
TOO FAR GONE

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun May 02, 2021 2:59 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:47 pm
those products make sense for a lot of reasons imo. historically, detractors of elektron products hate the workflow and aren’t afraid to warn others. their full-fledged units have a high price tag and anyone on a budget may not be willing to shell out $1600+ to find out they dont enjoy them. but entry level units at entry level prices showcasing the brands popular features is a lot easier to stomach on budget.

either way, all the best to dataline.
They make perfect business sense to the bottom line, you're absolutely right. Something like Octatrack is a hell of a leap (especially now in an even more DAW-saturated era). It's a big financial commitment, and workflows like that can be challenging due to all the impenetrable function overloading. They're a minority sport.

But damn if that's not fun.

Maybe if I was a beancounter at Elektron, I'd be pushing ever closer to Volca territory rather than Octatrack territory, just to ride the wave of discretionary purchase and design elasticity. It's a rational direction, I don't have to enjoy it though.

Herr Doktor Dataline was fantastically good at making anything look fun to use though. Tough act to follow. I guess the market has shifted to just carpet-bombing "influencers" with gear now though.

:youkids:

kons
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kons » Sun May 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Yes, Octatrack in 2012, when they finally got the software working, was mind-bendingly revolutionary. I always expected that some other company would come out with a competing product. They never have and really Elektron themselves have never improved on it. Didn't even bother to do overbridge for the mk2. Why? Frustrating the way Elektron tries to market segment their products instead of just making them as great as possible.

...tempted now to re-buy an OT for the third time...

pulpum
Common Wiggler

Post by pulpum » Sun May 02, 2021 3:20 pm

He made me buy my digitakt and it was a thing I will never forget for the rest of my life. So thank you Dataline!

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sun May 02, 2021 8:25 pm

Cenk's letter is pretty telling. Doesn't sound like an amiable split. Elektron's loss, really. He was definitely the introduction of Elektron machines for a lot of people. Really good personality, and did some killer demos of rather cryptic hardware. He'll be missed, for sure.
| Lake Onondaga || Bandcamp || Spotify |

WTB: Oberheim Prommer o// :heart: \\o

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun May 02, 2021 8:44 pm

I just remembered the fact that Ess, who was involved with the Digitone design and probably Model:Cycles, left in October.
Now I’m really wondering just what Elektron has planned.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Sun May 02, 2021 9:18 pm

The best demo video in the history of demos (IMO). Yes, I bought the bandcamp and have this on my workout music.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Sun May 02, 2021 11:36 pm

Well, I guess it's time to give up hope on a proper Machinedrum MK III. :waah:
De gustibus non est disputandum

jingo
Common Wiggler

Post by jingo » Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 pm

The moment parameter locks don't save your life anymore...

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 am

honestly the direction from elektron since some years is disapoited. (the golden age of inovation is end)
if i remenber it's just start with the leaving of ector and the comming of dataline, this is the end of the loop : )
Good luck for him
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

Wavtekt
Common Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt » Mon May 03, 2021 1:08 am

awww ... thats too bad ... this is the downfall of Elektron ...

I guess the ultimate Machinedrum MKIII will never happen.

I have so much fun with Rytm and wish that they will make a Eurorack Module out of it...

naturligfunktion
Ultra Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:43 am
Elektron has been less interesting lately in any case- not just saying that because I feel like an overbridge-capable Octatrack sequel is long long overdue, either. I wonder if they're going more into unambitious short term/quarterly results-led and influencer-focussed toys? It's a bit of a vibe I have been getting for some reason.
I agree, they have been sending out a weird vibe lately. Less boxes that symbolies industrial robot music, more fun boxes that you can put stickers on.
Uplifting music suitable for sunny days and relaxing afternoons:

Bandcamp

ultar
Common Wiggler

Post by ultar » Mon May 03, 2021 1:50 am

Machinedrum MKIII coming in 2022... from Behringer :sstorm:

Return to “General Gear”