Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by Gordon Cole » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm

Paalrammer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:03 pm
(I have already posted this question on Gearslutz/Gearspace, but this forum appears to be somewhat more active.)
Does anybody have problems with the duration of the gates?
When I set the gate of a step to 100%, I would expect to hear a sound for the complete duration of the step. But in reality, the sound stops after 50% of the duration of the step. It is very obvious when you set the tempo real slow and use 1/4 notes.
When I use my Keystep with a gate of 90%, I really get a sound for 90% of the step duration. So I am wondering whether this is a bug or something I'm doing wrong. If there is anybody who can test this out, I'd be really happy.
I'm using MIDI, not CV.
I get 100% gates using cv. If you don't TIE theres a very brief re-trigger between notes though, Korg's 100% is more like 99.99%.

And you are correct, using MIDI the note duration is reduced. By how much I'm not sure but running 1/4 speed at 30 bpm you can definitely hear it. However if you TIE the notes together it doesn't happen. I'd just do that.

Paalrammer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paalrammer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:35 am

Gordon Cole wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm
I get 100% gates using cv. If you don't TIE theres a very brief re-trigger between notes though, Korg's 100% is more like 99.99%.

And you are correct, using MIDI the note duration is reduced. By how much I'm not sure but running 1/4 speed at 30 bpm you can definitely hear it. However if you TIE the notes together it doesn't happen. I'd just do that.
Thanks for the reply! I just remember that I can use CV with my Erebus, so I'll give that a go.

Regarding MIDI. I tried using TIE on the notes and that works if the notes in de subsequent steps are identical, but not if they are different. But I'll try again. Maybe I missed something.

Paalrammer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paalrammer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:29 pm

I did the test and can now confirm that indeed, there are no issues when using a gate length of 100% using cv/gate.
It is only when using MIDI that the gate length appears to be half of what I set it. Looks like a bug (in 1.00 and 1.01).

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:53 pm

thinnnnk i'm going to cancel my pre-order. it's taking wayyyyy longer than i thought on a sort of impulse buy. don't really need one right now.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

pulsepsycle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pulsepsycle » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:29 am

I have read on the Dutch Synthforum that the SQ64 cannot start via USB external clock. Can someone confirm? Also I still don't know whether or not MIDI notes are send out via MIDI Out when synced to a DAW via USB. My SQ-1 doesn't, only via CV-Out so I've bought a Kenton CV to MIDI for this.

dryjoy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dryjoy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:57 am

pulsepsycle wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:29 am
I have read on the Dutch Synthforum that the SQ64 cannot start via USB external clock. Can someone confirm? Also I still don't know whether or not MIDI notes are send out via MIDI Out when synced to a DAW via USB. My SQ-1 doesn't, only via CV-Out so I've bought a Kenton CV to MIDI for this.
There seems to be some inaccurate information there. Mine starts from MIDI clock over USB. And yes, you can send MIDI notes out when synced via USB.

Oskilate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oskilate » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:39 am

Gordon Cole wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:02 pm
joeSeggiola wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Nothing Loopop didn't explained before, but I noticed one thing. When recording in real time, key presses are not quantized to the grid, and this is stored using the per-step Offset option; which is great per-se, but to fix his inaccuracy he needs to go note by note (or two at a time, using two fingers) and manually reset the offset to zero using the knob. It seems very strange there's no "quantize all" command. He use the pads in Keyboard Mode, but I guess it's the same with an external keyboard.
This is one thing that really, really needs to be added in a software update. It would slow the workflow down like crazy if the user needs to adjust each step by hand.

Can't overstate this enough, I hope someone from Korg is on these boards. Please code either: a command to quantize a recording after the fact, or a global setting to automatically quantize any recordings.
Am i understanding this correct?!! Do you mean there is no option to quantise to 16th notes or triplets?? On the run or with a key command?!! I probably understand this wrong cause that is one must have feature for sure. Absolute necessary for live gigs.
I hope someone can confirm that there is 16th grid quantise, realtime or key command for the whole recording / pattern
Pleas?!! So i can order one (total deal breaker otherwise)

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:02 am

Oskilate wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:39 am
Am i understanding this correct?!! Do you mean there is no option to quantise to 16th notes or triplets?? On the run or with a key command?!!
Unfortunately you're correct. After real-time recording, you have to quantize steps by hand (one, two, or three at a time, depending on how many steps your fingers are able to keep pressed at once). There's no official news about firmware upgrade in this regard, so if it's critical to you, don't purchase until implemented :bang:

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:19 pm

how's the overall built quality of this?

Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:05 am

After a lot of testing, I can't conclude anything else than that this unit has SEVERE class comliant USB connectivity issues
It makes itself know as 3 USB units (Port 1/2/3)
Port 1 does nothing, port 2 does transmit midi out, port 3 only receives sync.
I use an iConnectivity MioXL where on USB I can only choose on of the ports. It took me several weeks of testing to find out that the USB midi implementation is below mediocre. After purchasing a set of Midi Jack Type-A cables, everything works as expected. Maybe when directly connected to PC USB, it works fine, but on a class compliant interface I could only get via USB only Midi In, OR midi out, OR Clock sync to work (not all 3 at the same time) So for DAW less jamming, be prepared this ONLY works via DIN Midi, Can't wait for my OXI One.

The SQ-64 is still a nice unit on the side to sort out drum mapping and have 3 extra 8 voice polyphony channels, But together with the lack of quantization, it's all a but underwhelming
The other Bug I've found it erases always Part D, no matter which part you select, pressing shift + clear erases part D

Raphie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raphie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:52 am

The other thing that annoys the heck out me is that when using my prophet as midi controller, it sends to all four parts? when in stop.
When in play, it doesn't work full stop, when in rec it records the part you have selected, wonky at least.

Anyone managed to "play over" a sequence while playing back?
anyone been able to play only one part when in stop mode?
of course with the onboard keyboard it works fine, but via mdi in it's a mess

Oskilate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oskilate » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:54 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:02 am
Oskilate wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:39 am
Unfortunately you're correct. After real-time recording, you have to quantize steps by hand (one, two, or three at a time, depending on how many steps your fingers are able to keep pressed at once). There's no official news about firmware upgrade in this regard, so if it's critical to you, don't purchase until implemented :bang:
Oke so this is a complete unusable machine for my workflow. I hear there are some serious tuning issues as well! as much as 10% out of tune from second octave up.... And then the rest as described in this tread.. My god Korg. What a shame. This could be i big hit. Shi.....

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 pm

One more issue that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The voltage put out by the SQ-64 isn't really steady, it has a constant fluctuation. If you connect pitch out to an oscillator and then look at it with a tuner, you'll see the frequency wobble back and forth quite a bit. I get swings of around 2 to 3 hz. In contrast, through a quantizer there is almost no change, maybe .1 hz variation.

Whether this is actually an issue in practice is up to you.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Oskilate wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:54 am
Oke so this is a complete unusable machine for my workflow. I hear there are some serious tuning issues as well! as much as 10% out of tune from second octave up....
Please fix your quote tags, I didn't say that :) Anyway, my unit is not out of tune at all. Where did you read that? How many users are reporting this?

Gordon Cole wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 pm
The voltage put out by the SQ-64 isn't really steady, it has a constant fluctuation. If you connect pitch out to an oscillator and then look at it with a tuner, you'll see the frequency wobble back and forth quite a bit. I get swings of around 2 to 3 hz. In contrast, through a quantizer there is almost no change, maybe .1 hz variation.
Interesting, I'll check mine. Didn't noticed this by ear. I also measured voltage out one time, and didn't noticed swings up to three decimals. What you mean exactly when you say 2-3Hz? It's the swing of the frequency, or the frequency of the swing? If the latter, probably I didn't see it because my scope samples values every 1 second...

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:32 pm

I'm just using the tuner in Ableton, so probably not as accurate as a scope connected directly. But enough to notice a big difference between the 64, and the voltage passed through a quantizer. You can hear it too. But as mentioned, might not be an issue for most. Sounds more analog this way ;p

Oskilate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Oskilate » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:18 am

@Joeseggiola Hi i just quoted your own text. I didn't alter anything. I read it on different locations. Here is an in-depth test video of the calibration of this korg sequencer.

His machine is 10% out of tune. There are lots of things not oke with this unit. Drum sets not storing, patterns out off sync. CV out of tune, No quantise function yet. All very important things i think. Don't get me wrong. I was going to order this unit for shure! It is exactly what i am looking for. I am just dissapointed

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am

Oskilate wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:18 am
Hi i just quoted your own text. I didn't alter anything.
No, if you look at your previous message, it looks like I've said "it's completely unusable for my workflow, etc, etc", which is your words, not mine. I just don't want future readers to misunderstand. I think you simply misplaced the "quote" tags in your message.

Oskilate wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:18 am
I read it on different locations. Here is an in-depth test video of the calibration of this korg sequencer. [...] His machine is 10% out of tune [...] There are lots of things not oke with this unit.
Yes, I knew that video, AFAIK it's just this youtuber reporting it, surely a defective unit (I hope he got a replacement). That has nothing to do with the many firmware issues we already talked about here (until proven otherwise). I know how much I tried to report all of them to Korg hoping they'll fix it, still to no avail :bang:

But please, we should clearly distinguish between inherent problems and firmware bugs vs defective units.

Arnie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Arnie » Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Hello! I have a noob question:
Does 2 midi-outs mean you can connect only 2 midi-instruments, such as Volcas? Or can you connect more using different midi channels? I am not very expirienced with midi connections.

Thank you!

Guillem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Guillem » Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 am

Hello,

I have a problem, I would like to be able to play in real time, but this option is only possible if SQ-64 is in STOP in keyboard mode, the idea would be to be able to play in real time on the other tracks without having to record the sequence.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Headphones73
Common Wiggler

Post by Headphones73 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:59 am

Arnie wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm
Hello! I have a noob question:
Does 2 midi-outs mean you can connect only 2 midi-instruments, such as Volcas? Or can you connect more using different midi channels? I am not very expirienced with midi connections.

Thank you!
Probably you just need a MIDI routing box to get around that limitation.
Gear owned: Hungry Robot Modular Output, Slew, Sample &
Hold, Sonicsmith Modulor A1, Behringer TD3, Korg EA-1, ER-1 MK2, Boss SP202, SP404, SP505, RE20, Line 6 M5, Akai
Miniak, S20, S2000, Moog MF102, MF104M, CP251, Dreadbox Taff2

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 am

Arnie wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm
Does 2 midi-outs mean you can connect only 2 midi-instruments, such as Volcas? Or can you connect more using different midi channels?
If your instruments have MIDI Thru ports, you can chain them and just use different MIDI channels for each one of them (SQ-64 is easy to configure for this use case). This way the instruments will respond to their MIDI channel and pass the rest along the MIDI Thru port for the other ones.

Edit: and yes, if more than two of your instruments does not have MIDI Thru, you'll need a MIDI router or splitter box, as Headphones73 said.

Arnie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Arnie » Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 am
If your instruments have MIDI Thru ports, you can chain them and just use different MIDI channels for each one of them (SQ-64 is easy to configure for this use case). This way the instruments will respond to their MIDI channel and pass the rest along the MIDI Thru port for the other ones.
[/i]
Thank you for your reply (and Headphones73 too).

So just to be clear: I can send two tracks over the same midi-out but with different channels?

(Im soooooo close to ordering the thing)

Edit: Thanks for all the replies!
Last edited by Arnie on Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guillem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Guillem » Mon May 03, 2021 8:09 am

Arnie wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 am
joeSeggiola wrote:
[/i]
Thank you for your reply (and Headphones73 too).

So just to be clear: I can send two tracks over the same midi-out but with different channels?

(Im soooooo close to ordering the thing)
midi has 16 channels, you have to assign a channel to each instrument you want to play, and assign that channel to one of the 4 tracks of SQ64 (track 4 by default is channel 10 which is usually assigned to drum instrument).
Via Midi Thru you have to bridge the midi cable to all instruments.

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 am

I'm back to thinking about this thing. Wanted the OXI but just can't justify that cost. It seems that issues are being ironed out with firmware, eh?

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Mon May 03, 2021 8:35 am

Arnie wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 am
joeSeggiola wrote:
Yes. As Guillem said, you will configure on the SQ-64 which MIDI Channel 1-16 you want to use for each of the four tracks, and then configure on each of the instruments which MIDI Channel respond to.

Since you have two MIDI Outs on the SQ-64 where to route tracks, you can have up to two instruments without MIDI Thru and still be fine, because you'll place them "at the end of Thru chain" of the two MIDI Outs (may sounds confusing, but it's really harder said than done). Also, keep in mind both MIDI Outs on the SQ-64 are 3.5mm TRS jack sockets, if your instruments use the "big" MIDI DIN sockets you'll need an adapter, it's not included. If you'll buy one, make sure it says "Korg" compatibility, or "Type A" (which is the approved standard now).
Last edited by joeSeggiola on Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gear”