Korg SQ-64

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Korg SQ-64

Post by Nightly Closures » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 pm

How was the arp implemented? Does it arp what you play? Will it record an arp performance? Thanks for the ingot so far.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:06 pm

Nightly Closures wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 pm
How was the arp implemented? Does it arp what you play? Will it record an arp performance? Thanks for the ingot so far.
It doesn't arp as you play. Arp implementation is bizzarre but interesting, think like an alternative way to play a chord inside a single step. Instead of playing the step chord normally, it arpeggiate it one or more times within the step duration. It's hard to explain, but you can look at Loopop's video from 13:00 to 14:00, it's easier to show than explain.

Last edited by joeSeggiola on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:07 pm

Thanks. I remember thinking it seemed weird after originally watching that video. Seems like a missed opportunity.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:14 pm

Nightly Closures wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:07 pm
Thanks. I remember thinking it seemed weird after originally watching that video.
Yeah, me too. I find it interesting, but still they could have implemented the "normal" behavior too under an additional mode in that option... I didn't listed this in my checklist because I wanted to focus on details that I couldn't find before in videos and manual.

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 am

❌ It's not possible to have different sequences length in individual drums sub-tracks. Polymeter is possible only between the main four tracks.

Super frustrating if true and not at all clear in the manual.

Not a dealbreaker for me but its close. Have one on the way and a large part of why I bought this was to ship gates around the modular. This is a huge handicap.

The lack of quantize is awful too, but that one seems like an easy fix in software if they chose to do so. Just add an option in the global section to choose 'quantize all notes played' yes or no.

But the drum track situation I can very easily see never getting fixed.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:09 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:14 pm
Nightly Closures wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:07 pm
Thanks. I remember thinking it seemed weird after originally watching that video.
Yeah, me too. I find it interesting, but still they could have implemented the "normal" behavior too under an additional mode in that option... I didn't listed this in my checklist because I wanted to focus on details that I couldn't find before in videos and manual.
thanks for all the q and a suh and/or madam!

have you played with gate ratcheting? is there any probability for triggering or note range?

thanks!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:01 pm

oop. never mind. homie covered those questions here -

i've always lurved Korg stuff, spent my early 20's butts deep in an Electribe, was my only hardware. orrrrrrderrrred.

edit -

at 18.40 in - OOOOO! one of the play modes is a Stochastic setting! i LIKE. i love the modules like Melodicer that do that, i kinda hate the interface for them in modular format.

NEAT.

my excitement GROWS.

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:02 am

Stochastic mode is great on the Volca Modular, it does make me want this quite a bit despite already owning a Pyramid.

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 am
Finally got mine yesterday.
Quick question for you. What is the default gate length when you enter a step? Specifically on the drum tracks, I'm wondering whether steps default to 50% or 100%.

And on the off chance you have an MS20, what is the octave range you get from the hz/v setting?

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 am

Gordon Cole wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm
What is the default gate length when you enter a step? Specifically on the drum tracks, I'm wondering whether steps default to 50% or 100%.
It's 75%.

Gordon Cole wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm
And on the off chance you have an MS20, what is the octave range you get from the hz/v setting?
I don't have Hz/V devices, but here's what I read with my scope on the SQ-64 output for Hz/V with C3 as "reference note" (whatever that means for Hz/V, you can change it):

- C0 => 0.161V
- C1 => 0.267V
- C2 => 0.539V
- C3 => 1.038V
- C4 => 2.041V
- C5 => 4.046V
- C6 => 8.052V
- 10V it's the top limit

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 am

Thanks Joe!

leftsideneighbour
Learning to Wiggle

Post by leftsideneighbour » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:37 am

After buying the keystep pro I was really disappointed in the clocking. KSP has a terrible clock when it’s acting as a slave or USB-midi converter and this was dealbreaker in the end for me. I really like the idea of the SQ-64, does anyone have time to check the “tightness” of the clock, especially when acting as a slave and then outputting to other midi devices?

WeepWow
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WeepWow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:48 am

Anybody have Bad things or Good...to say about Keystep Pro? I am about to pull the trigger on a used one. I have a Keystep, which I plan to keep, but want better sequencing and Midi options to use with my 6 Volcas, 2 Typhons, Zoia, Cycles, other Elektrons etc. And my Ableton Live Suite setup ( I also have a Push2) . Or besides the Keystep Pro, are there better options around $300? maybe Korg SQ-64? ... any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Modwiggler 'For Sale/Trade': viewtopic.php?f=74&t=247015

'Weepwow' Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-724454325

subbasshead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by subbasshead » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:13 pm

leftsideneighbour wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:37 am
really like the idea of the SQ-64, does anyone have time to check the “tightness” of the clock, especially when acting as a slave and then outputting to other midi devices?

Innerclock have tested lots of devices - not the SQ64 yet but they did do the SQ1

https://www.innerclocksystems.com/litmus
Space is the breath of art

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:27 pm

boop boop... any idea when these will hit stores?

leftsideneighbour
Learning to Wiggle

Post by leftsideneighbour » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:52 pm

subbasshead wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:13 pm
leftsideneighbour wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:37 am
really like the idea of the SQ-64, does anyone have time to check the “tightness” of the clock, especially when acting as a slave and then outputting to other midi devices?

Innerclock have tested lots of devices - not the SQ64 yet but they did do the SQ1

https://www.innerclocksystems.com/litmus
Great resource! Thanks!

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:41 pm

behndy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:27 pm
Wondering that as well. I just sold my Akai Force here and want to try out the SQ-64. The Force was a great sequencer, but it have way more stuff in it like sampling/effects/mixing/clips and I didn't want all that and felt that it was convoluted if you don't need that. Also didn't like some of the workflow/navigation to do some of those tasks.

Anyways I like the layout of the SQ-64, especially some of the customization like being able to see 64 steps of one sequence all at once! Super awesome and have been wanting something that can do this. I'm also curious what other configurations can be set up, like can you have 2 tracks showing 32 steps of each. This thing looks like a good drum/1-shot brain. Been using my Deluge for those duties and I don't think anything can beat it since you see 16 steps for 8 tracks all at one glance and you can easily use the scroll knobs to view more steps and more tracks. But I'm always interested in testing out new sequencers.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:38 am

behndy wrote:
I pre-ordered mine on Thomann in December and received it mid-February. It had a defect, a faulty LED, so I returned it and purchased it again on StrumentiMusicali.net, who had it in stock (it still has!) and delivered it in a couple of days.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:43 am

stikygum wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:41 pm
[...] being able to see 64 steps of one sequence all at once! Super awesome [...] I'm also curious what other configurations can be set up, like can you have 2 tracks showing 32 steps of each. [...] and you can easily use the scroll knobs to view more steps and more tracks.
With the SQ-64 you either look at 16 steps for each of the four tracks, or 64 for a single track. There's no configuration for looking at 32 for two of them. Also, in the first layout, steps are "paged" and you use the top buttons 1 to 4 to access pages, you don't scroll steps with a knob.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:38 am
behndy wrote:
I pre-ordered mine on Thomann in December and received it mid-February. It had a defect, a faulty LED, so I returned it and purchased it again on StrumentiMusicali.net, who had it in stock (it still has!) and delivered it in a couple of days.
murrrr checked there, during the registration process US isn't available so i assume they wouldn't ship to my hood?

i did already pre-order one from Control, makes more sense to wait on that. i'm pretty durn excited for one, but i can exercise some patience.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:44 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:43 am
stikygum wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:41 pm
[...] being able to see 64 steps of one sequence all at once! Super awesome [...] I'm also curious what other configurations can be set up, like can you have 2 tracks showing 32 steps of each. [...] and you can easily use the scroll knobs to view more steps and more tracks.
With the SQ-64 you either look at 16 steps for each of the four tracks, or 64 for a single track. There's no configuration for looking at 32 for two of them. Also, in the first layout, steps are "paged" and you use the top buttons 1 to 4 to access pages, you don't scroll steps with a knob.
I wonder if there is a way to chain to SQ-64 and get a 128 step sequence going. I'm thinking if you had 2 SQ-64s, you could set them up so that one plays notes C, C#, D, D# on it's for tracks and then the 2nd SQ-64 plays E, F, F#, G on it's 4 tracks. That would be similar to the Deluge, but maybe not as intuitive. I'm still curious to try the SQ-64.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:19 am

i am a bit confused. are they released? only in some places? available but out of stock?

Ishkash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ishkash » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:26 pm

behndy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:19 am
i am a bit confused. are they released? only in some places? available but out of stock?
I'm with you buddy. I pre-ordered this thing about a month and a half ago! West Coast USA here too.

I heard thru the grapevine that Korg is known to do this with new releases, as well as shipping/pre-shipping announcements...so I'll try not to get too upset ;)

It HAS to be any day now, right? Right?!

Edit: may the record reflect that this is my VERY FIRST MW POST. Lol.

dryjoy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dryjoy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:09 pm

Ishkash wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:26 pm
behndy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:19 am
I'm with you buddy. I pre-ordered this thing about a month and a half ago! West Coast USA here too.

I heard thru the grapevine that Korg is known to do this with new releases, as well as shipping/pre-shipping announcements...so I'll try not to get too upset ;)

It HAS to be any day now, right? Right?!

Edit: may the record reflect that this is my VERY FIRST MW POST. Lol.
Hey there, this is my first post, too. I just registered so that I could provide some info on this.
So the SQ 64 is definitely released and out in the wild, I picked mine up about four weeks ago now, but from what I understand, production has been hit by Covid issues and quantities are limited.

The reason I believe this, is I had an order with Andertons in the UK, including the SQ 64 but also some other items (including Behringer 2600), and the SQ 64 seemed to be holding the order up. The time estimate kept slipping, was originally start of February for the SQ 64, but kept moving back later. At one point they sent me an email explaining that production of this product at Korg's factory had been hit by Covid, that supplies were low, and they weren't sure when they would have more stock.

When the estimate got to early March, my friend told me he'd received a promo email from our local store who have a good relationship with and deal with a lot of Korg stuff, to say they had a few SQ 64 in stock. So I cancelled with Andertons, they sent my other items straight away, and I went to pick up the SQ 64 locally. Andertons were very helpful, but when I called them, the guy there said 'I just want to be sure you can definitely get one, because once we cancel your order, we have other customers waiting, and Korg are telling us it'll be July until we get more.'

The Andertons website currently says early May, so not sure how accurate all this is, but I do get the impression supply of these is quite constrained at the moment. Mine is serial number 505, which seems quite a low number, and reinforces this impression.

I must say that overall, I am enjoying the SQ 64 very much, it's been years since I've used a hardware sequencer, and I'm finding it quite inspiring. As you may see around the web, there are a few rough edges still, stuff that hopefully will be improved with a firmware update at some point, for example not being able to quantise notes played live into the sequencer. The timing offset has to be manually adjusted for each step. Another weird thing is there needs to be around a -0.06V offset on the pitch CV, to get the output voltage to match what it should be for a given pitch using 1V/Octave. This seems to be consistent across all the units from what I've seen. It's easy to set an offset in Global settings, but again hopefully they'll do something with the firmware to correct this. But these issues wouldn't have stopped me buying it, I really like it.

Anyway, I hope they manage to ramp production up soon, so that you can get your hands on them. I will keep my eye on this thread as I have been, for news of any firmware updates, news of any software editor (apparently one is in the works), and for other's experiences, hints, tips etc.

Ishkash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ishkash » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi dryjoy,

Really appreciate you chiming in.

But...MAY?! Boy, that'll hurt me right in the gut.

My hurt feelings aside, it seems to me that this product, great as it appears to be, won't really come of age for at least another year (via implementation of a *good* software editor, firmware updates, etc.) anyhow. My local vendor (Perfect Circuit) has no word, but succinctly mentioned that while supplies and production are cut in half, demand is up by a factor of three. Makes sense during this time...seems we studio guys & gals are all gearing up during pandemic season.

Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...

Return to “General Gear”