Majella Audio teases IMPLEXUS

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

MerkDak
Common Wiggler

Majella Audio teases IMPLEXUS

Post by MerkDak »

Some kind of hybrid subtractive/additive synth from dutch synth builders Majella. Looks seriously impressive...

Check out this short teaser video
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Majella Audio teases IMPLEXUS

Post by pmboos »

I love the vid on it... If the price isn't too expensive, I'll probably put myself in for one.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"
Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn »

Strange that this hasn't generated more interest. €1299 is a bit steep for me personally but it looks like a quality instrument.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja »

I was very interested and think looks and sounds great and I can imagine it's a super high quality instrument but I found it hard to justify the price compared to other boutique synths at a similar price.. I ended up getting a second Motas-6 instead which is about the same price.
You can find all my tracks here https://clowncollage.bandcamp.com
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos »

I think it is pretty cool, but quite frankly it's directly competing against a Microvolt 3900 IMHO. The only thing it seems to have on it is the LED light feedback and maybe the LFO time divisions (you'd have to do more work with the Microvolt). If they were targeting more in that price range, I'd probably try it out. I'm more inclined to get a second Microvolt. And buying a Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 has about 0 risk in delivery of non-working or problematic instrument. They have been making them for years now and they sound really lovely at half the price.

Don't get me wrong; it's a lovely looking and sounding instrument by what they have shown; I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to get it at the price point they have chosen. I am a pretty big backer of Kickstarter projects in general, but I think they are basing their price totally on the money their need and not on market evaluation. Perhaps they needed to have gotten more backing from private investors (or dump more in themselves) to have a price point in line with the market. (BTW, I am not claiming to be any kind of expert here, but that's what impressions are...)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"
R.Waltzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by R.Waltzer »

Its not a cheap synth but it looks really exciting, no plastic pots and other frustrating cost saving trends. lots of features as well.. can't imagine the $$$ of building a synth like that in eurorack modules..
nolongerhuman
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman »

pmboos wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:39 am I think it is pretty cool, but quite frankly it's directly competing against a Microvolt 3900 IMHO. The only thing it seems to have on it is the LED light feedback and maybe the LFO time divisions (you'd have to do more work with the Microvolt). If they were targeting more in that price range, I'd probably try it out. I'm more inclined to get a second Microvolt. And buying a Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 has about 0 risk in delivery of non-working or problematic instrument. They have been making them for years now and they sound really lovely at half the price.
It’s interesting you mention that. I watched the video and was really jazzed about it but I felt like It was on the rather high end of the price range. The feature set isn’t common in stand alone but it reminded me immediately of the Microvolt, which is one of those synths I keep forgetting exists. I spent the last two days thinking about it and ended up buying a microvolt this morning. For me something like this would have to be under $1000 to really justify it, it’s very niche, but very solid sounding. Hopefully the Microvolt scratches that same itch.
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos »

Microvolt seems to have mostly the same features and a large patch bay. I like the timing ideas and LEDs for feedback they put on the Implexus for the LFO and I am certain it will sound different, but the early bird Kickstarter price seems to be advertised at ~1300 Euros. For half that, you can get a Microvolt. I just think they are not positioning the synth at the right price point. I'm also not an expert on the synth market pricing business, just a consumer, so I could be totally misunderstanding a market. If they were close to the Microvolt in pricing, I'd get one just to add it to the arsenal.

I just hope that they don't abandon it if the Kickstarter is unsuccessful. It may just mean a rethink. I've seen a lot of boardgame companies do a rethink and/or gain some additional private capital and be successful a second go-around. I get sad when I see people abandon their projects just because they have one misstep; Kickstarter is all about learning pricing and such.
---
R.Waltzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by R.Waltzer »

there is a new video that explains a lot more of the synth

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart »

While I too think it's priced on the high side I do think it's saying it's in competition to the Microvolt is rather unfair. 2 VCOs + a sub vs 1 (and the complex VCO has far more harmonic control than the Microvolt), 2 LFOs + dedicated vibrato LFO vs 1 function generator, 2 velocity sensitive ADSRs vs 1 ADSR and an inbuilt delay. The only thing they have in common is the complex VCO really. The Microvolt is great (have been tempted myself) and yes it's half the price, but it has little over half the facilities too. I really don't think it compares to this.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...
Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja »

I have the microvolt and I agree that it's a completely different thing than this.. The Implexus seems to have a much rawer sound where as the Microvolt has a very clean, futuristic sound to it (imo)

I was considering getting the Implexus but unfortunately couldn't justify the price even though I understand why it's priced high (the build quality on this thing is probably beyond most of what's out there!)

I wish all the best for Majella though as there's not enough companies making unique synths and this is definitely unique :) If I ever make any money from music (haha) I'll definitely consider getting one of these.
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

I'd rather watch the debate among people who have never played one than consider buying one myself. (do actually like the sound from the demos - at least it's not pretty pads and bass sounds, etc).

what steered me towards the motas-6 was mostly looking at the manual and hearing about the features - plus a hint of an intuition about the sound. I'd have to take a deeper look at this to decide to go to the next mental step. But, please, play on....
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos »

flashheart wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:02 pm While I too think it's priced on the high side I do think it's saying it's in competition to the Microvolt is rather unfair. 2 VCOs + a sub vs 1 (and the complex VCO has far more harmonic control than the Microvolt), 2 LFOs + dedicated vibrato LFO vs 1 function generator, 2 velocity sensitive ADSRs vs 1 ADSR and an inbuilt delay. The only thing they have in common is the complex VCO really. The Microvolt is great (have been tempted myself) and yes it's half the price, but it has little over half the facilities too. I really don't think it compares to this.
Fair enough... I am not sure I totally agree the Microvolt is half the facilities, but I'll grant the Implexus some additional stuff that the Microvolt doesn't have. I've read more since I made that comment... It still doesn't feel worth that price point. I just haven't heard anything that unique in the demos. I do love the interface though.
---
MajellaAudio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MajellaAudio »

We had a nice last minute livetalk and Q&A with MATTHS (Matt Hodson)! We were kind of nervous before we started, but eventually it was great and we got to tell a lot about the project and there was a fair amount of demonstating the IMPLEXUS:
We are very proud of this! :)
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack »

Nice little box that is!
NewNewRon
Common Wiggler

Post by NewNewRon »

I pledged.
This looks beautiful.
Please think about it.
Another 12 backers needs, it looks like.
Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja »

Microvolt has a lpg. Plus a two lanes to the vca.. plus a separate preamp for another input.. plus a sequencer.. plus a bucket brigade complex s&h..
I would choose a Microvolt over this is they were the same price.. not that this sounds bad, but it sounds generic, Microvolt has a hell of a personality!!
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

lol. I don't think that it sounds "generic" at all. I'm seriously tempted.

I'm trying to get more info about the modulation capabilities. they look somewhat limited, but it's hard to tell. haven't found any docs yet.....i emailed them. Not like I can afford this, but hell.
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

i like the sound !*

and i can´t see how a microvolt or motas-6 would be in any way comparable,
just judging from going thru some demos on YT.
jm2c, YMMV

* i like this one

just that i have a modular and would want to have that sound there.
.....need to look for a waveshaper i guess.
some clever patchpoints would have been a sinful option.......missed oportunity i guess
For sale:
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

"comparable"? Well (I'm very tempted by the implexus) the implexus is also not comparable to the motas-6. Its modulation capabilities are not even remotely close, and the same goes for some of the other digital control on the motas-6. It's one thing to compare similar synths, but that kind of comparison just seems totally silly to me.
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

Nelson Baboon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 pm ........but that kind of comparison just seems totally silly to me.
to make it clear, its no me doing "this".
it has been donne by others in this thread. (you did (somehow) too, no ? )
what i hear from the demos do these machines sound entirely different.

i like the sound of the implexus, and i´ve not found any bit in the demos of the other two boxes i heard that makes me think any of the two other boxes would came even just close ----->when its exactly about "That" Sound.

i personally have a modular, i can´t begin to collect these little boxes
(makes no sense to me / i would find it boring within two evenings)........but "That" sound, :love: , haha
For sale:
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

well, i just backed it. I've never done one of these - i guess that it's official if several more people back it in the next few days.
Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja »

The only reason I mentioned the Motas earlier in the thread was because I'd been considering getting an Implexus but for my purposes it made more sense to get a second Motas as I'd get more use out of it. The "comparison" made was only of the price being similar between the two.

I've also since discovered that the Motas can do wavefoldy sounds on the vain of this more so than the 0-coast and it too runs it through a filter so a comparison isn't all too silly but being honest, the Implexus is definitely the one to go for if you're mainly after a synth that focuses on wavefold stuff.

Really hoping Majella succeed and its looking like they will, I've since my original comments come to see more and more what makes them special as a company and the Implexus as a product.. Would love to own something by them one day.
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos »

I see that they have hit 113% of backing, so they will get the financial backing they need. One thing that is nice for backers, this isn't the first thing they have brought to market, though it is their most ambitious project from what I can tell. This means they aren't brand new to making products (which means lower risk of not delivering).
---

Return to “General Gear”