[Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun! (Now making one module per week!!)

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

JohnLRice
Veteran Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun! (Progress update)

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:58 pm

Congrats and kudos on all of the hard work you've done! :sb: :goo: :party: :yay: :tu:
5U/MU modules for sale: Moon, COTK, STG https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4&t=252956

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Hey Friends! Happy September to you all... another update, and progress keeps inching forward.

This time, 1/2 drum panels is fully wired up and completely finished. That’s 10 more modules complete! In this first sideways picture, the top one - or the one on the right is totally done! And it was a beast to wire up. There was not a lot of room for 10 PCBs behind here
9293B735-F954-4562-87AE-B37A866B91D3.jpeg
I decided to take a break from the main wall for a little bit and work on the control desk. This little bastard will have 12 modules:
-BPM Generator, which will be the primary clock for the whole wall
-3x Buffered Mults
-3x Dividers
-3x Sloth DK - this is going to be a fun little CV source
-2x Overdrive Engines
25CD88EE-BE49-4866-A298-53BEEA8A8E8C.jpeg
I am extremely thankful for 3D printing - using my Dremel I cut out holes like a caveman... 2x holes for Tubes, 3x holes for big ass Caps, a small hole for a BPM display, and a way to fill that top gap...this is gonna be sexy when it’s done with these orange accents printed.

The plan now is to finish up 1 module per week - this is going to be so much easier now that I am done with school. That’s right boys and girls, my Doctoral program is complete. I finished up my Educational Doctorate in Organizational Leadership!!!

All right, back to work.
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

JohnLRice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:42 pm

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
5U/MU modules for sale: Moon, COTK, STG https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4&t=252956

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:02 am

After building dozens of modules and accumulating a shit ton of parts, you’d think it would be easy to just jump in on a Monday morning and build a module or two... nope!

I get to the 99% mark and realize I need a few parts. Oh the fun of module building. Once I get to the “I can’t build any farther point because I’m out of parts” point on the other 7 modules on this desk, it’s time to order parts!

I’m doing good on my “one module per week” plan so far, and finished 3 of them. The 3 buffed mults are all done! Also - I bought a fog machine... for umm... you’ll find out soon

Here’s some pics!
0B163B96-C96A-4613-91AC-02D38540E05F.jpeg
^^^color coded parts storage. Still need to print a lot more little bins.. a lot more bins.
50701551-57C0-42D1-9CAA-A57FC4B8B4D8.jpeg
^^^2 clock dividers, missing a few parts. Little assholes. They need some clean up...
DD6CC737-6BB6-4ABF-A2DD-9498E4FB3321.jpeg
^^^Candle holders doing their things and holding candles. Got some “wax drip” candles from the local Pagan shop. I’ve always loved the look of candelabras dripping in wax, so I made some demon skulls to drip wax off.
8295FEF0-AE03-49FA-9A59-C4508B87C75F.jpeg
^^^Wired up Buff Mults
FD19EF59-DC0C-4DFE-9C6B-4C45FE2A4002.jpeg
^^^Pile of skull parts (or Surturs crown from Thor, but Skull is easier to type...) waiting for their other skull parts to be printed. What’s better than a wall of Modular Synths, you might find your self asking... a Wall of of synths with Skulls on top! What’s better than a wall of synths with skulls on top you might be asking? A WALL OF SYNTHS WITH SKULLS ON TOP WITH SMOKE THAT COMES OUT OF THEIR EYES!!!!!!

The smoke machine needs some mods to get it to work like I need it to... but that’s another project for another day when the 3D printer is ready for something new...

JohnLRice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:15 am

Eric the Red wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:02 am
What’s better than a wall of Modular Synths, you might find your self asking... a Wall of of synths with Skulls on top! What’s better than a wall of synths with skulls on top you might be asking? A WALL OF SYNTHS WITH SKULLS ON TOP WITH SMOKE THAT COMES OUT OF THEIR EYES!!!!!!
:goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo:

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun! (Wiring question - THANKS!!!)

Post by Eric the Red » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Hey guys - I’m in need of a bit o help on some wiring... so I’m converting this NLC Divide and Conquer to “5U”, and I’m just about ready to start wiring it up, but because it’s going from panel Mount to rats nest of wires, I could use some guidance.

Looking at the documentation provided by Andrew has got me stumped. Here is what the thing looks like, and I haven’t the foggiest of how to wire the jacks. The LEDs are easy cuz the +/- are labeled, but I’m totally lost here.
FD696D7A-CF12-41DC-A8A1-6233FC4E8070.jpeg
B2ACED07-9ADE-46FD-B32C-E04EAD7415FC.jpeg
Other random updates - started printing some more helpful things for this project:
89ED1DDA-95A2-45BB-AB1A-7AA36D3BE1CE.jpeg
^^^here is the pile of wire ready to go for the next 6 modules. It took like an hour to cut and strip it all 🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵
8BD04C91-CEAE-489B-8B14-9FEC2CE04408.jpeg
^^this print is paused until tomorrow afternoon... but this is going to be a cable holder. It’s blocky, it’s ugly..... I poorly designed it, but I like it. I am printing 2 of them to Mount under this desk I’m working on.

7C77818F-954A-456B-A3C6-E9A5A712B865.jpeg
^^^NLC makes a crazy CV module called Sloth DK, that takes like 8-20 hours to run through a cycle... it has giant capacitors that stick out of the panel. I printed some mounts to make those look nice and hold the PCB. v1 didn’t quite workout and it needs a slight redesign, but it will look like this from the top.

Thanks everyone!!

JohnLRice
Veteran Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun! (Wiring question - THANKS!!!)

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:09 pm

Eric the Red wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:26 pm
Hey guys - I’m in need of a bit o help on some wiring... so I’m converting this NLC Divide and Conquer to “5U”, and I’m just about ready to start wiring it up, but because it’s going from panel Mount to rats nest of wires, I could use some guidance.

Looking at the documentation provided by Andrew has got me stumped. Here is what the thing looks like, and I haven’t the foggiest of how to wire the jacks. The LEDs are easy cuz the +/- are labeled, but I’m totally lost here.

FD696D7A-CF12-41DC-A8A1-6233FC4E8070.jpeg
B2ACED07-9ADE-46FD-B32C-E04EAD7415FC.jpeg
Probably should write to NLC to be sure . . .their build guides aren't very guideful! :eek: :lol:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... nd+BOM.pdf

The jacks they specify are the below and they look to be a typical mono jack with a switch. So, since it looks like the PCB only has two solder pads per jack I'm assuming the builder is supposed to cut off one of the lugs, probably the switch lug :hmm: so you probably only need to deal with signal and ground wires and if so using a continuity meter or ohm meter you can quickly determine which pads are the ground pads? To make wiring easier you might be able to just connect all the ground lugs of your 1/4" jacks together and run one wire back to the PCB for ground and then just wire the signal wires to the jacks? I've never touched this module so your guess is as good as mine! :hihi: :cloud: :
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/pj-300 ... -jack.html
A-2536.jpg.jpg

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun! (Wiring Question)

Post by Eric the Red » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:02 am

Thanks John - with that, and some Facebook help, I think I have it figured out
DDEE618E-DBA3-432D-B76F-24FC2318F122.jpeg
^^Switch from left and right side jacks soldered together.

For the Switch part of the jack, there is a feature to this module where the input from the first section is normalized to the rest of the module. There is a tiny hole going down the middle for this module where all the Switches are connected. You can see that in the below image with this thick green line.

34A37543-5471-4B61-8F52-30CCA507FC3D.jpeg
34A37543-5471-4B61-8F52-30CCA507FC3D.jpeg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 120 times
^^Thick green line showing all the switches connected together

Looking at these jacks (thanks John for the pic)
81BED283-979F-4BF3-9C12-51A3B2D0FE4D.jpeg
81BED283-979F-4BF3-9C12-51A3B2D0FE4D.jpeg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 120 times
^^^ the kind of goofy lookin third leg (left) is the switch, middle is the tip, and last one is the ground.

Looking at the PCB,
E8432721-22CF-4BA2-BC37-AF949AAE9F0E.jpeg
^^^^ the ground connections are the outside column, the tip is the one next to that, and switch is in the middle

If I keep adding images at the rate that I do to these posts,I’ll be Rex the Red soon…. Hope your doing well buddy, cant wait to see the next update on your project!

John - lovin the videos going over your modular!

JohnLRice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:36 am

Ahhhhh . . it all becomes clear! :hihi: :tu: Thanks for the kind words too! :hug:

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun! (Now making one module per week!!)

Post by Eric the Red » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am

Damnit! On the Divide abs Conquer I wired all the all LEDs backwards... oh well. That’s a weekend project for future Eric...

Anyway, my Trio of sloths are ready for wiring! Here’s some fun pictures:
FE8BBB53-1376-4D5C-AB16-43CB87D5A1E8.jpeg
78D207EC-C941-424C-BD5D-7C9D63F44C6C.jpeg
7744DA41-0DC8-4263-B3ED-8590D6849F31.jpeg

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun! (Now making one module per week!!)

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:07 am

Eric the Red wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am
Damnit! On the Divide abs Conquer I wired all the all LEDs backwards...
... dang those left handed/metric soldering pens! Getchya every time!
Workin very hard to avoid becoming a statistic.
"Remember my spirit when that Slumerican flag waves.
From entrepreneurs, losers to users and renegades".

MODULAR SYNTH NORMALIZING PROJECT
NOTE: project stalled since Winter 2020

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am

Eric the Red wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:02 am
....If I keep adding images at the rate that I do to these posts,I’ll be Rex the Red soon…. Hope your doing well buddy, cant wait to see the next update on your project!
Oh man ... super sincere apology .. this sentiment got past me until now, I'm not as active in MW as I once was (or anywhere else) ... thanks so much for the encouragement .. I'll get through it, it's just my turn to carry the rock for the moment, we all take a turn at pushing that rock up the hill from time to time.

And dammit man ... rock on with that project!!

Have you thought about painting it orange? Some people like orange, you might wish to give it some thought! Maybe with white, even!!

:tu: :sb: :tu: :sb: :tu:

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Have you thought about painting it orange? Some people like orange, you might wish to give it some thought! Maybe with white, even!!

—————-

Before painting it white, and after cleaning up the glue seams - I’m going to hit it with that hammered metal spray paint as a base coat to give it some texture and hide the 3D print layer lines, then paint it white - then sand it so the textured metal comes through a bit, then do a “grey/brown wash” so it looks like dirty old bones.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:36 am

Eric the Red wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:40 pm

—————-

Before painting it white, and after cleaning up the glue seams - I’m going to hit it with that hammered metal spray paint as a base coat to give it some texture and hide the 3D print layer lines, then paint it white - then sand it so the textured metal comes through a bit, then do a “grey/brown wash” so it looks like dirty old bones.
Oh that sounds great! Tasteful and easy to look at for decades (I'm being sincere).

(on the "painting it orange with white" thing, that was a poor attempt on my end at pointing out the obvious .. cuz your synth is already orange and white... y'know, me trying to be funny again ... which is somewhat comical on it's own! Any humor that must be explained wasn't done very well to begin with).

Never mind all that .... I'm so impressed with your project and your ability/willingness to press on regardless. Some qualities of a good father demonstrated there .... wink wink ...

:tu:

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:10 am

I did laugh and did consider doing one of the base costs as orange… but the colors need to balance. The pipe carrying the smoke is going to be painted orange 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Made a little progress last night: THE 3 sloths are done! These ones were nice and easy to build. It is true what they say, SMD is quite easy and addictive.
21C352C1-9611-48CD-8EE4-525BB80D491A.jpeg
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:36 am
Eric the Red wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:40 pm

—————-

Oh that sounds great! Tasteful and easy to look at for decades (I'm being sincere).

(on the "painting it orange with white" thing, that was a poor attempt on my end at pointing out the obvious .. cuz your synth is already orange and white... y'know, me trying to be funny again ... which is somewhat comical on it's own! Any humor that must be explained wasn't done very well to begin with).

Never mind all that .... I'm so impressed with your project and your ability/willingness to press on regardless. Some qualities of a good father demonstrated there .... wink wink ...

:tu:

Return to “5U Format Modules”