What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Inside

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by Happiness Forever » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:12 am

For those interested, Troniks (iheartnoise.com) has started releasing noise noise noise again, new and old works, alongsidewith Helicopter Records. Some seriously fantastic works have come out in the past year and there is more coming, always MOAR NOISE. 💎

My recent faves:
AHLZAGAILZEHGUH ‎- ENEMY OF THE FUTURE 2CD - collectiom of harsh harsh noise from the early Aught Decade, lots of movement, deep bass burl, high-pitched feedbacks, gnarl gnarl gnarl. Like cleaning yr face with asphalt, makes you feel fresh and alive.
SCALD HYMN - INSTANCE OF HOME CD - thick static scraping textures with lots of space and cello. What a great jam. This release i really really enjoyed a LOT.
TRANCE - ANCIENT HISTORIES CD - live material from the early 90's, 3 tracks of excellent varied experimental sounds, lots of heavy rhythms, and appearances from Hijokaidan's Jojo & Junko

last year's C.C.C.C. reissues were INCREDIBLE!! One of my favorite noise groups of all time.
________________
________________

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by dooj88 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:13 am

NB i gotta say i enjoyed your formal lycanthropy album. not sure if you classify that as noise, but it was full of interesting textures and dynamic interplay.. thumbs up and should get a plug in this thread.

haven't come across Himukalt before, this is great.

PapaLazarou
Common Wiggler
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 6:16 pm
Location: NY

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by PapaLazarou » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:09 pm

The same things I find appealing about Hendrix solos. Pretty cut and dry.

User avatar
subduct
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:26 am

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by subduct » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:33 pm

Happiness Forever wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:48 pm
The universe is chaos and order and imo "noise music" can reflect that i think more than any other form of human music.
The sound of an avalanche is INCREDIBLE, there is no "music" or "melody" or whatever to be heard, only and just pure sound, loud visceral unordered chaotic beauty!
Totally agree with that. Some of my favourite sounds are not 'music' - the hum of the dishwasher, beating rain on a tent, slow variations in an idling car. I've really got to sample some of those. I think it's highly creative to use this stuff for (non) music, sound performance, whatever-you-call-it.
That book looks interesting too.

noises
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by noises » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 pm

Is there a sub-genre of noise music that is not described as a "harsh" wall of sound? The type I like to listen to, which I am asking about, is not really musical in nature, has some elements of noise, but it more open sounding in terms of the overall dynamic range of the piece. It may have use of sampling/found sound, electronic and acoustic instruments, circuit bending, vocals (but not lyrics) and generally non-repetitious. I do not know if this is noise music, but it seems the most closely related.

If this is noise music, I like the unpredictable nature and hearing bizarre and unique sounds. The repetition of traditional music in its melodies and lyrics can get really annoying at times. So it is way of cleansing the mind of stuff that can loop on for long after listening to it. For really harsh wall of noise stuff, I will listen to it in a live setting with ear plugs and can appreciate it.

User avatar
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0
Posts: 10288
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 am

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:24 pm

I don't understand (really) sometimes why people are looking for genres.

I make what I would loosely describe as 'noise music', but i think i've explained why elsewhere in this thread. I could give 2 shits (3, 4, is there a threshold) about genres.

think about how you want music to work, and then make it. If you can find some kind of 'genre' that fits it, more power too you. Or less. I don't know.

User avatar
sparood
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by sparood » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:01 pm

Oh don't fool yourself Baboon, even noise people are looking for noise genres to give their sound meaning and context (look at The Rita and Vomir for example).
noises wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 pm
If this is noise music, I like the unpredictable nature and hearing bizarre and unique sounds. The repetition of traditional music in its melodies and lyrics can get really annoying at times. So it is way of cleansing the mind of stuff that can loop on for long after listening to it. For really harsh wall of noise stuff, I will listen to it in a live setting with ear plugs and can appreciate it.
Maybe more tape manipulation stuff like Robert Turman and Aaron Dilloway? There is lots of noise that isn't harsh noise.

User avatar
mmelnick
No melody, no harmony
Posts: 1089
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Springfield Gardens NYC
Contact:

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by mmelnick » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:09 pm

The fact that it isn't something I can sing along to
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

User avatar
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0
Posts: 10288
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 am

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:14 pm

sparood wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:01 pm
Oh don't fool yourself Baboon, even noise people are looking for noise genres to give their sound meaning and context (look at The Rita and Vomir for example).
noises wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 pm
If this is noise music, I like the unpredictable nature and hearing bizarre and unique sounds. The repetition of traditional music in its melodies and lyrics can get really annoying at times. So it is way of cleansing the mind of stuff that can loop on for long after listening to it. For really harsh wall of noise stuff, I will listen to it in a live setting with ear plugs and can appreciate it.
Maybe more tape manipulation stuff like Robert Turman and Aaron Dilloway? There is lots of noise that isn't harsh noise.
LOL. A genre gives the music meaning? How the bloody hell does that work?

noises
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by noises » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:32 pm

sparood wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:01 pm
Maybe more tape manipulation stuff like Robert Turman and Aaron Dilloway? There is lots of noise that isn't harsh noise.
More along the lines of Aaron Dilloway. I guess I am wondering what is the genre I am thinking of to make it easier to find more of it. Experimental seems too broad and musique concrete is maybe somewhat closer. Also a sound that adds some sense of humor that is fun to listen to.

User avatar
sparood
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by sparood » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:14 pm
LOL. A genre gives the music meaning? How the bloody hell does that work?
Oh did I really type meaning? I mean aesthetic, but it's not that far off anyway...I don't know if you've followed all the discussion on HNW and wall noise but a lot of it was about the meaning of noise, it's name and what it should be and what not....

Artist thriving on their identity tag.

User avatar
joeboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by joeboy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Way Down is so fucking g**d, but I haven't heard anything else by Robert Turman. Where should I look next?

User avatar
metamorphmuses
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:02 am
Location: Oakland, California
Contact:

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by metamorphmuses » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:29 pm

nevermind
Last edited by metamorphmuses on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Euro Trash Bazooka
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 am
Location: Bdx, France.

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am

noises wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 pm
Is there a sub-genre of noise music that is not described as a "harsh" wall of sound? The type I like to listen to, which I am asking about, is not really musical in nature, has some elements of noise, but it more open sounding in terms of the overall dynamic range of the piece. It may have use of sampling/found sound, electronic and acoustic instruments, circuit bending, vocals (but not lyrics) and generally non-repetitious. I do not know if this is noise music, but it seems the most closely related.

If this is noise music, I like the unpredictable nature and hearing bizarre and unique sounds. The repetition of traditional music in its melodies and lyrics can get really annoying at times. So it is way of cleansing the mind of stuff that can loop on for long after listening to it. For really harsh wall of noise stuff, I will listen to it in a live setting with ear plugs and can appreciate it.
You may want to check out Altar Of Flies, Josh Peterson's stuff, Höh, stuff by Jeph Jerman/Hands To, etc, as well as electroacoustic music in general.

User avatar
sparood
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by sparood » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:40 pm

joeboy wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:33 pm
Way Down is so fucking g**d, but I haven't heard anything else by Robert Turman. Where should I look next?
Lots of his other stuff is more minimal, but even so I highly recommend Beyond Painting and Lands & Groves. Other works well worth checking out are his works as Z.O Voider and artists like Minoy, Aaron Dilloway and the criminally underrated American Hero by Philippe Halais. Maybe even branch it out to Oval and Organum as well.

Could go on for hours but eh, it's a good start. Some of those aren't really noise per se, but there is a lot of experimental sounds in all of them :guinness:

User avatar
subduct
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:26 am

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by subduct » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:10 am

noises wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 pm
Iit is way of cleansing the mind of stuff that can loop on for long after listening to it.
Much like some ambient in this I think, except stronger. I remember the first time I listened to the whole of Pulse Demon with headphones, felt like my brain had been reset afterwards.

Post Reply

Return to “Synth Noise”