Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Buchla, Serge, Studio.h, Northern Light Modular, Keen Assoc., 1979, Vedic Scapes, etc. Banana systems
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by makers »

The reverb in my 208c was too muddy for my tastes. It had too much emphasis in the lows and low-mids. It may not be accurate for an Easel sound but after swapping out a few tanks I settled with an Accutronics 8AB2A1B.
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz »

You should be careful and know what you're doing when you swap tanks because a wrong impedance or ground connection might damage the reverb circuit.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and don't know of any cheap Synthi secret market.
I don't offer support for attempts to build clones of EMS equipment.
Please don't ask, thanks.
aquifer
Common Wiggler

Post by aquifer »

makers wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:48 am The reverb in my 208c was too muddy for my tastes. It had too much emphasis in the lows and low-mids. It may not be accurate for an Easel sound but after swapping out a few tanks I settled with an Accutronics 8AB2A1B.
I'm of the same opinion about the reverb. It's not a major issue by any means, but it does seem to become very muddy/middy on less than a quarter turn. I've opened a ticket at Buchla to find out if there's a trimmer adjustment to lessen the signal level to the tank circuit as I suspect it's maybe saturating a pre-amp, but if there isn't I'll keep it as is.
909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one »

Yeah the calibration that Joel did cleaned it up a lot. I still would prefer a more vintage two spring type in there though, something with more upper mids and less low mids.
NazzNomi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NazzNomi »

909one wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:00 am Yeah the calibration that Joel did cleaned it up a lot. I still would prefer a more vintage two spring type in there though, something with more upper mids and less low mids.
I've been considering routing the spring reverb RCA to a switcher box and connecting varying spring tanks to it. Maybe get a large custom suitcase to mount it all in with space for the extra tanks and the switcher built in.
chriscarter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chriscarter »

On the Buchla 208C page it mentions " stereo digital fx coming as an optional add-on in the future ", but my Buchla dealer doesn't know when - anyone else have any inside info on when this might be?
909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one »

So the reverb tank that the 208r's use, it's a two spring version, it's a direct pop in, same impedance and all that, the problem is I only found it overseas when I was looking for it.

https://www.samodular.com/product/accut ... ank-1bc2e/
tele_player
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tele_player »

For my 208p, I couldn’t find any 1BC2E in the USA. Ordered two from Banzai Music in Berlin.
Shipping was reasonable, but slow.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 01235813 »

Just tested the iprogram card with the Command and was happy to find out the ipad's 218 is able to control the pitch of the 208c. With prior iterations of the easels you would need a 218e for this. The iprogram card would control the easel's 218e, which in turn would control the 208.

I had initially decided to sell the iprogram card but since it plays so nicely with the command I may decide to keep it. It would be awesome if the card weren't iOS dependent.. I just noticed that the easel app isn't available in apples AppStore. It would be so great if Buchla could get this to run on a pc/mac.
antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl »

It's been great getting to know this synth ever since I picked one up! Had to buy more cables (so I've now doubled what came with it... hoping that's enough for a while...) and also added the USB A Host card. I really like running directly from my keystep or keystep pro (each with different advantages). But, it really does make me want to get a 218 to get the full experience. I know that it is "planned" to release a new 218 + case in order to allow those of us with the Easel Command to convert to a full Easel. Does anyone know if we will still have the additional functions of the easel command? Meaning, will we still have the MIDI, Eurorack CV, USB A host, etc on that case? I can see a potential use for a full easel with the Sensel Thunder Overlay happening all together... (or something similar).

(Sorry if this has been discussed already, I know I've tried to find these specific details, and I know it is still a lot of speculation...)
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

From Eric Fox back in mid-September: “Everything that’s in the the Easel Command will be available on the Easel…maybe even an extra handy surprise or two if we can fit it all in there :). Hopefully we’ll be able to share something sooner than later!”
antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl »

mdoudoroff wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm From Eric Fox back in mid-September: “Everything that’s in the the Easel Command will be available on the Easel…maybe even an extra handy surprise or two if we can fit it all in there :). Hopefully we’ll be able to share something sooner than later!”
Cheers! Thanks for that. I was hoping that would be the case, but couldn't find the exact quote. :)

:yay: :yay:
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Well, it’s from an email he sent me after I asked him much the same question as yours. (take it with a grain of salt)
antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl »

I can imagine that they would want to make the transition as smooth as possible, and also not move backwards... but, sometimes you just don't know. I guess we'll keep our eyes open for news. Thanks for sharing your correspondence with Eric!
909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one »

I have some direct correspondence with Eric where he mentioned a reboot of the 218 is in the works and 'may' have some added features as well.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

I’m confident the new 218 will exhibit comparable attention to detail as the 208C.
antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl »

Sounds like I need to start saving my pennies so I can make that transition happen...
Franck
Common Wiggler

Post by Franck »

I saw a few people posted videos of their 208c, so here are some more

but first I'm looking for a padded bag to carry the 208c around. You know something to take it with a battery, a zoom recorder, etc...to do a recording out there, in nature... I have seen in this thread flight case, but looking for something to take on a walk...

First unboxing ASMR style

Then a first drive

Then a duet I did with Peff, well Peff did most of the work here

If you want the interview with Peff and the performance:

Thanks
thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thesnow »

can a buchla command c desktop be racked in a portable rack case? not to expand a bigger buchla system but just to be racked on its own?
Franck
Common Wiggler

Post by Franck »

thesnow wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:32 pm can a buchla command c desktop be racked in a portable rack case? not to expand a bigger buchla system but just to be racked on its own?
You can buy the 208c without the boat or unrack it and put it in another boat, but you need a Buchla boat, because the size and power/control connector is special to Buchla.

see https://buchla.com/boats/

There are other companies that offer compatible systems.
thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thesnow »

Franck wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:05 pm
thesnow wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:32 pm can a buchla command c desktop be racked in a portable rack case? not to expand a bigger buchla system but just to be racked on its own?
You can buy the 208c without the boat or unrack it and put it in another boat, but you need a Buchla boat, because the size and power/control connector is special to Buchla.

but if I simply want to rack the easel command desktop that's not possible? I can see if u want to add the command to a buchla system why you would buy the 208c plus a boat but that just makes it more expensive than the desktop model
ryangaston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ryangaston »

thesnow wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:58 pm
Franck wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:05 pm

but if I simply want to rack the easel command desktop that's not possible? I can see if u want to add the command to a buchla system why you would buy the 208c plus a boat but that just makes it more expensive than the desktop model
^^Eric indicated earlier in this thread that there will be rack ears available for the Easel Command. Obviously the original estimated date of August has come and gone, but I assume this is still in the works :)
"I have always been outside and I've chosen to remain there."
--DB
909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one »

the wooden cheeks can easily be removed, and depending on what you were putting it in, there are ways to rack it. I made my own hybrid case with some euro modules for control and it works. A lot of connections are on the rear of the unit though so you need to keep clearance for all of that.
thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thesnow »

thanks y'all
Xmit
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Xmit »

Well I just cracked...

KMR here in the UK have a Black Friday offer on - 10% discount....

I'd been entertainging the idea of an Easel Command for ages..so the best part of a £300 saving tipped me over the edge.

Naturally they don't have any in stock... ;) But apparaently they're expecting units in the next couple of weeks.

So stand by for the inevitable daft questions you guys - as this is my first trip over to Buchla-world from a lifetime of the East Coast philosophy.

And thanks for all the amazing videos, tunes & jams posted on this bit of the forum - they've been the inspiration to take the plunge. :hail: :party:

Return to “4U Format Modules + EMS”