4U VCA ecology today

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kevin0
Common Wiggler

Re: 4U VCA ecology today

Post by kevin0 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Prunesquallor wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:32 am
There's also Mutable Instruments Blinds in a LW panel, and I'm pretty sure Charlie made the L-1 Quad VCA for himself. I don't really see the point of listing these third-party VCAs, though. If it's DIY then it can be put behind a panel. Should the list stick to VCAs designed by 4U guys, Serge, Clee, Stroh, Fritz, etc? And where do ring mods and LPGs fit into this?
I wanted to see what dedicated VCAs (audio and CV) people were using and also how people are using them. Didn't think of including LPGs and I think you are right about the non-4U third-party VCAs, I will amend the list!

igormpc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by igormpc » Tue May 04, 2021 9:25 pm

CGS LPG

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 am

kevin0 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm
Prunesquallor wrote:
There's also Mutable Instruments Blinds in a LW panel, and I'm pretty sure Charlie made the L-1 Quad VCA for himself. I don't really see the point of listing these third-party VCAs, though. If it's DIY then it can be put behind a panel. Should the list stick to VCAs designed by 4U guys, Serge, Clee, Stroh, Fritz, etc? And where do ring mods and LPGs fit into this?
I wanted to see what dedicated VCAs (audio and CV) people were using and also how people are using them. Didn't think of including LPGs and I think you are right about the non-4U third-party VCAs, I will amend the list!
Stroh’s Dual Angle: two linear slope generators, two “Optogates” which are vactrol-based VCAs with a 6db cutoff, and two sends to an analogue/diode OR. I use it a lot.

viewtopic.php?t=155379

mfaraday
Common Wiggler

Post by mfaraday » Wed May 05, 2021 6:30 am

of course the issue with any taxonomy in serge is the fact that my favorite lpg is the dusg or ssg, and from that you really open up the whole can of worms

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 am

mfaraday wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:30 am
of course the issue with any taxonomy in serge is the fact that my favorite lpg is the dusg or ssg, and from that you really open up the whole can of worms
Not really useable as VCAs, tho. ;)
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Wed May 05, 2021 8:40 am

syncretism wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 am
kevin0 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm
Prunesquallor wrote:
Stroh’s Dual Angle: two linear slope generators, two “Optogates” which are vactrol-based VCAs with a 6db cutoff, and two sends to an analogue/diode OR. I use it a lot.

viewtopic.php?t=155379
That Dual Angle sounds great! I'll add the classic duo: Thomas White (I have four) and Clee (I have two duals in the cupboard that need some love). I don't think I need the Stroh, but I wants it.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Samba
Common Wiggler

Post by Samba » Wed May 05, 2021 12:50 pm

You can use the Serge Ring Mod as a VCA. If you set it to Ring Mod and feed an inverted CV into VC Mode.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”