JHS modules on the horizon?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Joe.
Wired for sound

JHS modules on the horizon?

Post by Joe. » Sat May 01, 2021 3:25 am

I'd like to think JHS's most recent video, on 'pedal rigs of the future', is a signal he'd like to explore modular synthesis. Am i reading to much into it?

Of course I don't want another distortion ported to Euro (I lie, I'd be happy with a Cheese ball that only had a control voltage input for the VCA)

The modulation series has Expression inputs, but imagine them with cv inputs AND outputs. All those waveforms, That's the type of integration I crave. When I'm patching out from the modular to a pedal with a tap tempo but no clk input, it just makes me feel sad (well that, and the uncoordinated tapping of my fingers)

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: JHS modules on the horizon?

Post by smetak » Mon May 03, 2021 7:30 pm

Haha....the same thought came across me. And was totally off guard when the episode was presented by Rhett Shull (of all people!!!!), who did quite a decent intro, I must add.

SquidInSquidInk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SquidInSquidInk » Tue May 04, 2021 5:17 pm

JHS getting into Eurorack modules? Get ready for a full line of filter clones!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm

not just filter clones. a never ending series of BS uninformed pretender videos pumping up his dumb ideas about what to buy next with a full line of suckers ready to buy his every word and ban the non-believers. if he does it in eurorack format he needs to amplify and attenuate. or he will just leave everything at guitar levels +/-1v which is actually an incompatible new format. if he wants to amp it up it will be noisy. if he doesn't amp it up he is swimming in a small pond such a lonely fish. he has never made power supplies that I am aware of so probably he will outsource the power supply like he outsources everything else then he will claim that he invented some revolutionary new product.

don't forget that other pedal manufacturers have tried and failed before even though they were bigger companies with better consumer following.

https://pittsburghmodular.com/patch-box

https://www.gearnews.com/behringers-lat ... -eurorack/

https://ask.audio/articles/meet-the-gui ... nthesizers

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-snapdrive#/

http://en.biyang.com.cn/product-details/lm-4lm-7lm-10

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ya ... 40a/pse40a

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/yamaha/01

https://sites.google.com/a/davidmorrin. ... ar-effects

https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2014/1 ... ill-given/
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

JayEm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JayEm » Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 pm

Thats a whole lot of angry assumptions.
BandCamp Instagram
"peoples moist elbow cruxes, sodden with phlegm" - Joe.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 pm

I very much like Josh and the JHS show. Totally understand people concerns, but also keep in mind they did do the 500 series version of a neve preamp, surely that would inform how power should be done yes?
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Fuck JHS.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu May 06, 2021 12:20 am

I used to be a JHS and Josh hater. It's true.

Probably picked it up over at TGP in between my own pedal and guitar and amp snobbery (which I have in spades).

That old story about the kooky church JHS Josh used to have some association with way back put me off, as it "triggers" my own negative biases about kooky believers, so I read all of those internet accounts of it all, found little of substance, especially years later, then just started occasionally listening to the dude... first as a guest on That Pedal Show, then his own silly-ish videos.

And you know what I found? A nerd's nerd in many ways. A real enthusiast. And a genuinely alright dude. And dudes, I'm a skeptical dick in many ways, but he's okay.

My pedal cloning fury is saved for the Venmurams, etc.

Bring it on. He's smarter than some seem to think.

I'd buy a eurorack version of his Phaser pedal, and Color Box, and Haunting Mids just for the lulz if offered.

How about we give em a chance... see what happens.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 am

But let's be clear, if he jumps up in here and starts getting all @Uli Behringer on us and making cheap knockoffs of currently available eurorack modules from established makers, I'll help you choke him myself, so to speak...

Be forewarned, JHS... best mind your manners here.

There are good ways to go about this. Do what's right.

Or get pushed out of the airlock...

:D

snufkin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by snufkin » Thu May 06, 2021 5:53 am

has JHS ever done anything technically interesting or of note...

doubt he has anything to contribute other than savvy marketing of basic stuff
WTB: any Digisound80 / Digisound 80 faceplates/pcbs/kits.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Thu May 06, 2021 7:58 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 am
But let's be clear, if he jumps up in here and starts getting all @Uli Behringer on us and making cheap knockoffs of currently available eurorack modules from established makers, I'll help you choke him myself, so to speak...
If nothing else, I'd be helluva surprised if he started making _cheap_ knockoffs...

Anyway, like someone said above, there's a lot of assumptions here. It might be as simple as Rhett getting the chance to do a spot on the channel and doing a thing about modular because he's currently interested in it. And if it is part of a bigger plan, I'd expect a pedal maker moving into modular from the world of guitars and tube amps and germanium fuzzes and "here's my clean tone" to be more interested in stuff that overlaps with that sort of ethos (ie probably adaptations of pedals in Euro format) than in becoming just another budget Eurorack manufacturer.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Thu May 06, 2021 8:03 am

I still haven't forgiven him for what he did to Devi Ever.

Gaetan
Common Wiggler

Post by Gaetan » Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am

JHS pedals have flown a bit under my radar, and I could never finish his Youtube videos because his personality doesn't appeal to me, but I was unaware of the controversies surrounding him, so I looked it up and I am really appalled. The guy was part of a hateful cult for years and his only statement about this is some sterile PR message that more or less says "I didn't know about the bad stuff, I'm not with them anymore, the company isn't involved, end of the story" (you can read his actual words there : There is no apology, no denunciation, no actual statement of values, nothing to try to make up for all the LGBT people who were harmed by his former cult. And yes, when the company that you own and founded is named after yourself and you are its face, everything you do reflects on the company. To my knowledge, this had not changed.
Personally, looking at the hundreds of other pedal manufacturers who don't act like this, I can honestly say that I won't touch JHS with a 10-foot pole in the future. I don't even need to consider the more technical controversies.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 am

It took less than a minute to find this:

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Thu May 06, 2021 10:44 pm

Gaetan wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am
JHS pedals have flown a bit under my radar, and I could never finish his Youtube videos because his personality doesn't appeal to me, but I was unaware of the controversies surrounding him, so I looked it up and I am really appalled. The guy was part of a hateful cult for years and his only statement about this is some sterile PR message that more or less says "I didn't know about the bad stuff, I'm not with them anymore, the company isn't involved, end of the story" (you can read his actual words there : There is no apology, no denunciation, no actual statement of values, nothing to try to make up for all the LGBT people who were harmed by his former cult. And yes, when the company that you own and founded is named after yourself and you are its face, everything you do reflects on the company. To my knowledge, this had not changed.
Personally, looking at the hundreds of other pedal manufacturers who don't act like this, I can honestly say that I won't touch JHS with a 10-foot pole in the future. I don't even need to consider the more technical controversies.
This has been going on from time immemorial - whenever Josh's name comes up, the same allegations are tossed around - frankly, I read the original posts on the controversy years ago and haven't really found too much beyond hearsay - the cult freak and the Devi Ever fiasco. Yep, there are some snippets here and there, but, again, I find the evidence hanging around the web wearing a bit thin at this point. Personally, I have nothing against him - and I do watch the JHS channel, which, for me, is quite informative. Sure, there's some questionable episodes (the Behringer showcase comes to mind) and the quirky humor is a tad irritating - but by and large they are for my liking very informative. The one in question, about modular and guitar, was a big surprise, especially having someone like Rhett Shull, a very r&b slinger with a touch of country, to suddenly show up with a case having a Maths, Subharmonicon and patching the cvs on a Strymon euro really threw me off guard - pleasantly surprised, I must say. Bravo to JHS for putting that one out.

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 am

I'll never understand in a world where there are SO MANY manufacturers to chose from, why *anyone* would make the choice to do business with a brand that has swirling controversy. This is a million times the point when the brands model is copying shit other people designed. Why even waste the energy?

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”