Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by attacca » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:49 pm

deleted: double post

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:38 am

attacca wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks for the Panel/PCBs btw. I saw that you did a Miasma build before, can you recommend a place to get PCBs done in low quantity? What about panels? I haven't done that part of DIY stuff yet.
JLC for both the panel and PCB. Get a 2mm panel, not the stock 1.6mm thick.

I had a lot of problems with Miasama, I cant say I would recommend anything that guy does. There were a lot of show stopping errors on the files he released, IDK if that's been fixed but I highly recommend you go over EVERYTHING in that forum before building one.

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:13 am

Hey!!! It's a Christmas miracle!. My DOT works!! I just completed the build, just waiting on the stereo jack from "Meesheegan" and I will bolt down the front panel, add the buttons and window. Just ran a quick test... amazing sounds coming out of this thing!. Guess I didn't fry U7 after all :hihi: Can't wait to explore more! 8-) 8-)
DUST OF TIME.jpg

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm

I just received a clickpot DoT and am beyond excited to dive in! :love: :yay:

I have one quick Q and one shameless suggestion/question regarding the firmware and stereo oscs.

1) What are the power requirements? Haven't found anything in the manual, here or in the reddit post.

2) Is (or would) it (be) possible to use one of the cv inputs as an additional v/oct input, effectively making it a duophonic vco? This would make DoT immensely powerful and essentially a stereo duophonic voice with all sorts of stereo modulation possibilities. Perhaps a further option could be programmed to make the outputs two mono-aural outputs (eg two discrete mono voices, each with independent pitch), adding further flexibility for processing later in the chain. Although a duophonic stereo oscillator (keeping the current l/r outputs) would be immense! I'm salivating at the possibilities of stereo modulating both oscs in DoT while sending it two v/oct signals to create all sort of intervals in the stereofield and wavescanning/wavemodulating. :hyper:

Sorry if these are redundant or stupid questions. My knowledge is limited and I didn't read anything regarding this while going over the manual on google docs.

Can't wait to explore it all weekend!
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:16 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:38 am
attacca wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks for the Panel/PCBs btw. I saw that you did a Miasma build before, can you recommend a place to get PCBs done in low quantity? What about panels? I haven't done that part of DIY stuff yet.
JLC for both the panel and PCB. Get a 2mm panel, not the stock 1.6mm thick.

I had a lot of problems with Miasama, I cant say I would recommend anything that guy does. There were a lot of show stopping errors on the files he released, IDK if that's been fixed but I highly recommend you go over EVERYTHING in that forum before building one.
Thanks for the tips and advice, very much appreciated.

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:35 am

Just wanted to report back... I received my DoT from MSW yesterday. I’m happy to say it looks and works great and has exceeded my expectations by far. Based on the videos I saw, I was figuring it would sound pretty good, but be a bit fiddly with all the menus. Now having spent a little time with it.... it sounds amazing and is actually pretty fast to navigate. It has just the right amount of menu-diveyness for me.

Can’t wait to see how it evolves as the firmware is improved. I also need to spend some time figuring out how to make and add my own wavetables.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:47 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm

I have one quick Q and one shameless suggestion/question regarding the firmware and stereo oscs.

1) What are the power requirements? Haven't found anything in the manual, here or in the reddit post.

2) Is (or would) it (be) possible to use one of the cv inputs as an additional v/oct input, effectively making it a duophonic vco? This would make DoT immensely powerful and essentially a stereo duophonic voice with all sorts of stereo modulation possibilities. Perhaps a further option could be programmed to make the outputs two mono-aural outputs (eg two discrete mono voices, each with independent pitch), adding further flexibility for processing later in the chain. Although a duophonic stereo oscillator (keeping the current l/r outputs) would be immense! I'm salivating at the possibilities of stereo modulating both oscs in DoT while sending it two v/oct signals to create all sort of intervals in the stereofield and wavescanning/wavemodulating. :hyper:

Sorry if these are redundant or stupid questions. My knowledge is limited and I didn't read anything regarding this while going over the manual on google docs.

Can't wait to explore it all weekend!
The CV could be used as a v/oct but the range will be reduced and not as precise because the v/oct input uses different circuit, maybe it could be selected on the pitch modulation page.

power is about 70-80 mA on +12v depending on how many white pixels there are on the screen, and about -25mA.

Sugarwolf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sugarwolf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:18 am

I just bought one of these and it truly is a great module. This is such a unique oscillator and plays super nice with the Qpas and Mimeophon. I cannot recommend this enough it's incredible sounding.

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Neutron7 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:47 pm
WarpHead wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm
Snip
The CV could be used as a v/oct but the range will be reduced and not as precise because the v/oct input uses different circuit, maybe it could be selected on the pitch modulation page.

power is about 70-80 mA on +12v depending on how many white pixels there are on the screen, and about -25mA.
Thanks!

Would be cool to have an option to experiment with an additional pitch cv input, even if it is understandably less precise. Or maybe it could go through the/an internal quantizer/grid - which could perhaps alleviate some of the imprecision of the cv input.

In any case, what an amazing module - having heaps of fun. :yay:
Don't believe the hype.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm

Speaking of firmware, any updates in the works? Or maybe a manual for the current firmware?

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:41 am

So I found two kits for this when doing some cleaning.

Is there a up to date mouser/digikey cart for this or do I need to make my own? I tried looking for the BOM that has the mouser part number in them but cant find one in the git repo? Probably about time I get around to building these lol...

EDIT: Found this one: can someone confirm this is the latest/official one?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am

Thats the official one. I havent recently looked at whats in and what isnt in stock but there really isnt anything specific needed, any equivalent spec parts will be fine

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Quick question: what type of midi trs does this require (A or B)?
Don't believe the hype.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:08 am

WarpHead wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:05 pm
Doesnt matter, either way PSImidi

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:36 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:08 am
WarpHead wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:05 pm
Doesnt matter, either way PSImidi
Excellent, that maked things easy. Thanks :tu:
Don't believe the hype.

Polysilicon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polysilicon » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:23 am

Question for assembly: do I need to use 1206 resistors for R1 and R3 or can I use 0805?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 am

Polysilicon wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:23 am
Question for assembly: do I need to use 1206 resistors for R1 and R3 or can I use 0805?
Those carry some current so you want the parts in the BOM or equally power rated 0805s which i guarantee you dont have on hand since they are exotic and expensive

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 am

snowtires wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Speaking of firmware, any updates in the works? Or maybe a manual for the current firmware?
Same questions here. I am curious how often the firmware is updated, in particular.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:17 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 am
snowtires wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Same questions here. I am curious how often the firmware is updated, in particular.
It's been at least six months since the last update if not longer

Polysilicon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polysilicon » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:35 pm

Hello all!

Finished my build and nothing is showing up on the screen. When I press the middle button between the LEDs the two leds light up depending on where I turn the center pot. Where should I look to fix this?

Edit: I'm also getting outputs on both L and R. It does sound like it's a very low octave though.

Also, there was a hole in the pcb with an X on it that lined up with a hole in the Teensy.... in the build Video on YouTube he didn't connect those. Is not connecting that part of my issue?

I am also getting voltage on the pins of the screen.

Polysilicon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polysilicon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:07 am

Got it working. It was a bad screen.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 am

Polysilicon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:07 am
I'll go ahead and put this out there, this is the 3rd or 4th person Ive heard report bad I2C screen and personally, i'm like 7/12 bad screens (the SPI ones for OC) all from "Hiletgo" on Amazon, avoid those at all cost. They used to just resell the Buydisplay parts but have switched to some other garbage quality ones and they are hit or miss at best, mostly miss for me..

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KittenVillage » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 am
Polysilicon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:07 am
I'll go ahead and put this out there, this is the 3rd or 4th person Ive heard report bad I2C screen and personally, i'm like 7/12 bad screens (the SPI ones for OC) all from "Hiletgo" on Amazon, avoid those at all cost. They used to just resell the Buydisplay parts but have switched to some other garbage quality ones and they are hit or miss at best, mostly miss for me..
Good to note. I have been circling a PreenFM3 build this year and they suggest Hiletgo off Amazon for that display.

(I believe I got my DoT display off aliexpress, but had to swap the resistor/jumper, which went quick using some hot air.)

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

TL072
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TL072 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:31 pm

Hi, are there more instructions about calibration than in the manual? There is not a lot of information in here.I think a problem I am having may be caused by bad calibration / scaling of the range of the potentiometers.

I just completed the build and everything seems to be working but the scan knob does not fully fade to the right oscillator. If I press the click pot to see the fader visualisation, fully clockwise is something like 95% of the way right. I hear the left oscillator a little. I have checked the soldering and looking at the schematic it is really not a very complex part of the pcb. I think the other knobs may also not be going to their full value but it is harder to be sure. They also reach the same numberic values on the debug sys page where you can see the values from the potentiometers that are being detected (i.e. I think the scan potentiometer is not sending a higher/lower value to the teensy than any of the other potentiometers). I am using the 9.6.E firmware.

All this makes me think that something is strange with the calibration or software and not the hardware.

Edit: incidentally, I am otherwise having a fantastic time playing around with this module although still need to figure a lot out

TL072
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TL072 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pm

Update: stupid me. I had missed soldering the ARef pin on the Teensy. It is not obvious because it is not part of the two lines of headers along either side. For other's benefit if they find themselves in the same situation: I had to de-solder the OLED and then I used the leg cut off a resister to connect connect through the PCB and teensy (yes I also stupidly did not use removable headers with the teensy (what was I thinking!).

Anyway, this thing drones great and looking forward to getting it into the case and patched up. :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”