Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:03 pm

veets wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Thanks. I think the Teensy is probably okay, too. I didn't cut the USB power path, so I was able to load the firmware without powering-up the module. (I never update Teensy-based modules while they're drawing rack power, so it's never an issue.)

Been all through the catalogs of the usual suspects (Smallbear, Banzai, Digi-Key, Thonk) and a few vendors I've never used before. Haven't found anything as sexy as the customer knobs Altitude is using on the built-up versions, damn it. :wink:
Oh, got you, thats a good way to approach teensy.

Hmmm, I wish i could give specific advice on the knobs I used, but I went with T18 shafts and those Rean clones from modular addict. Have you looked at Newark? They have some knobs that other places don't stock. For the price of those shapeways ones, you'd have access to most of the catalog on there.

veets
Veteran Wiggler

Post by veets » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:13 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:03 pm
Hmmm, I wish i could give specific advice on the knobs I used, but I went with T18 shafts and those Rean clones from modular addict. Have you looked at Newark? They have some knobs that other places don't stock. For the price of those shapeways ones, you'd have access to most of the catalog on there.
Didn't consider Newark. That's a good idea. Thanks.

veets
Veteran Wiggler

Post by veets » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Mine is complete and (mostly) operational. However, when it boots the following error message flashes by:

CHDIR /STWE fail
1.wav open failed
CHDIR /STWE fail
1.wav open failed
FRESH EPROM

I suspect this has something to do with the files and folders on the SD card. I placed the SD_ROOT folder with its two subfolders on the SD after formatting (MS-DOS FAT, UNTITLED). SD_ROOT is at the top level.

Any thoughts about what might be causing this?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:02 pm

veets wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:38 pm

->..I placed the SD_ROOT folder with its two subfolders on the SD after formatting (MS-DOS FAT, UNTITLED). SD_ROOT is at the top level.

the two folders go in the root of the SD card, not an SD_ROOT folder. pretty sure its supposed to be FAT32, not FAT16

veets
Veteran Wiggler

Post by veets » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:02 pm
veets wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:38 pm

->..I placed the SD_ROOT folder with its two subfolders on the SD after formatting (MS-DOS FAT, UNTITLED). SD_ROOT is at the top level.

the two folders go in the root of the SD card, not an SD_ROOT folder. pretty sure its supposed to be FAT32, not FAT16
Yes. Working now. Thank you for your help, as always.

TL072
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TL072 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Hey, I see the push-button version of the panel has sold out - will there be a new batch any time soon? :)

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:39 pm

just arrived today

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:28 am

Think I’m going to have to try one of these. Hope they’re available again soon! :party:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:03 am

Naenyn wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:28 am
Think I’m going to have to try one of these. Hope they’re available again soon! :party:
Should be back in the shop in 1 week-10 days

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:05 am
sduck wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 pm
..- would it be possible for you to throw the hex and the SD card stuff in a zip file that's a no brainer to download? That would make my life a bit easier.

Also, I'm not happy with my voltages - at the printed on the pcb test points, I'm getting only 3v at the 3.3 point, 10.86 at the 12v point, and -11.09 at the -12v point. The 5v point is 5v. Is this within specs, or is something out of whack?
The sure fire way to download from git hub is to simply go to the root (jakplugg/Neutron-Sound-Dust-of-Time) and hit the clone/download button, it will make a zip of the whole repo and you can just grab the SD card stuff from the directory in the zip.

Your voltages look OK. With PSI power, the 12V rails are going through a bridge rectifier so there will be a drop as a result of the those diodes so youre definitely in the ballpark voltage wise.

One thing that has plagued me with the 3.6 implementations is making sure I stuff ALL the headers for the uC, if there are holes in the PCB, it gets a header connecting to the teensy, those are not optional. I attached a pic of the jig I use for the headers, you need all those.

Also worth mentioning: If you cut the power trace on the teensy, the board has to be powered to load code to it. Teensy loader is the only software you need to upload code, you do NOT need the IDE unless you want to compile it yourself and even then, teensyduino just uses teensyloader to upload that code anyway.

If you are having code upload issues, take the teensy out, jump the power if you cut it and just upload the code without the DOT attached. If that works, you have a hardware issue with your build that needs tracking down

IMG_0994.JPG
Where is that power jumper/trace on the Teensy?? I see what looks like a fuse or zero ohm resistor near the micro USB connector??... :hmm:
I'm in the final stages of assembly... It will be a miracle if this works when I power it up (mainly because of the hard time I had soldering in U7). I don't see a build guide and it's hard to sift through pages here to find answers.

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 pm

White arrow shows the two pads that need to be disconnected. use a sharp tool and cut the trace, then check that there is no continuity.
14057-03.jpg
14057-03.jpg (162.61 KiB) Viewed 330 times

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:24 pm

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 pm
White arrow shows the two pads that need to be disconnected. use a sharp tool and cut the trace, then check that there is no continuity.

14057-03.jpg
Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. now, do I want to program the teensy before or after I cut the trace..... :hmm: :hmm:
probably before because once I solder those header pins on the teensy it will be harder to cut that trace. :mrgreen:

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Happy to help! I usually just program without the module then cut the trace after I power the module without it checking voltages to the teensy pins are right. Then you can socket the teensy in and boom, great oscillations off the bat.

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:33 pm

glennfin wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:24 pm
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 pm

14057-03.jpg
Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. now, do I want to program the teensy before or after I cut the trace..... :hmm: :hmm:
probably before because once I solder those header pins on the teensy it will be harder to cut that trace. :mrgreen:
As long as you check the supply voltage to the teensy is good and no shorts on power up you should be fine cutting the trace and programming with the teensy in the module.

veets
Veteran Wiggler

Post by veets » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:27 pm

I've built several teensy-based modules and no longer cut the traces. I have to occasionally remove the modules from my rack to update firmware, anyway, which means I disconnect from rack power and use USB instead. If I understand correctly, the only reason to cut the trace is to make sure you can't accidentally apply USB and rack power simultaneously. That's impossible the way I do it. As they say, your mileage may vary, and I'm certainly open to being told mine is a bad practice.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:52 pm

under most circumstances, it will be fine if you dont cut the trace and accidentally power it up with the USB plugged in, the regulator is behind that trace so you will just be adding 5V to it but in the DOT, what will happen is that you will murder the SD card. You can solder blob it even after its attached easily and thats always better than having to dig around for a new SD Card

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Hey everyone. I just discovered the DoT and I'm really itching to build one... or two. Are the clickpots currently sourceable and the appropriate faceplate as well? Any current supply chain gotchas for someone in the US. I have been able to find most of the parts available but haven't worked through the whole BOM yet. Thanks!

Also, will the hardware/firmware/software eventually be open sourced? I'm primarily interested in hacking on the software side, custom modulators/effects etc. Thanks again!

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:21 pm

I’m a little confused by the different panels shown on the Michigan Synth Works site for this module. I thought the version with the switches around the knobs was only for the older DIY version? Which panels are the current ones? Or are they all current? :party:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:46 am

They are all current. The DIY version is available with the tact switches or the click pots and each of those have their own panel. The circuit board for the electronics is the same thing for both versions (you simply dont populate some parts). The click pot version is NOT currently in stock since there are no click pots available so I am not offering them. When the click pots get restocked, Im going to sell those together the panels, it caused way too many problems to sell them separately

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:46 am
They are all current. The DIY version is available with the tact switches or the click pots and each of those have their own panel. The circuit board for the electronics is the same thing for both versions (you simply dont populate some parts). The click pot version is NOT currently in stock since there are no click pots available so I am not offering them. When the click pots get restocked, Im going to sell those together the panels, it caused way too many problems to sell them separately
Thanks for the info, I've ordered all the components except for the pots/tact-switches and PCB/Faceplate. Hopefully I can finish up the orders today.

Do the DoT 2nds Panels come with the window (preferably orange)? Would the same windows fit in a DIY Ornament & Crime?

Also, does anyone know where to get male and female headers to socket the teensy? I can't find a matching set and the sizes I have are all over the place. DigiKey and Mauser seem to have one or the other.

End user firmware hacking going to happen?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:56 pm

attacca wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:55 pm
Do the DoT 2nds Panels come with the window (preferably orange)? Would the same windows fit in a DIY Ornament & Crime?

No and No. That's why they are $3

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:56 pm
attacca wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:55 pm

No and No. That's why they are $3
Ok sounds good, thank you.

How deep are peoples builds coming out? Any chance it could fit in a 4MS Pod non-X version ~35mm?

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:33 am

I've sourced and ordered the components.

For anyone looking to build one in the US right now:

The parts are in stock at Mouser except the following:

603-RC0805FR-0775KL - Digikey
858-EN11-HSM1BF20 - Digikey
858-P0915N-FC20BR10K - Digikey
SSH1106 - Amazon
MicroSD - Amazon

Thonk isn't shipping at the moment but I found jacks at Electro-Smith, they aren't thonkiconns though. You can also get male/female headers to socket the teensy there as well.

I ordered extra quantities of most parts so if you are missing something or its out of stock let me know!

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:25 am

You can get the jacks from synthcube or modular addict

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:25 am
You can get the jacks from synthcube or modular addict
Totally forgot about synthcube, the currently stocked ones at modular addict were twice the price so I passed on them. I don't have much experience with jacks so dunno if thonkiconns are better/worse than what I ordered. The datasheets for both are the same.

Thanks for the Panel/PCBs btw. I saw that you did a Miasma build before, can you recommend a place to get PCBs done in low quantity? What about panels? I haven't done that part of DIY stuff yet.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”