Jan Ostman - DSP Synths

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!
mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala »

A possible wildcard is that in Sweden in particular, a person's home address is treated as very much public information - there's a central registry where you can go look up anybody, and if you want your address excluded from the registry, you need a specific reason like "My abusive ex is stalking me, here is the court order against them"; just "I want my address not to be public" isn't enough. It's significantly different from the way people in North America usually expect home addresses to be handled.

But even in Sweden you still aren't free to make threats or encourage harassment, with or without actually disclosing the target's address yourself. And whether you got the address from Google or not is completely irrelevant. Google doesn't magically erase consequences of your own actions.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Twitch stream (Mondays, 3pm Eastern)

If you tell me that your goal is systemic change toward radical acceptance, and I see that you treat those you perceive as lesser-than with the same kind of scorn and derision that pushed me toward this insular little subculture where I feel comfortable [. . .] then you’ve successfully convinced me that your acceptance is not radical and the change you want not systemic. - "When Nerds Collide"
electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada »

Starspawn wrote:
electricanada wrote:Forum rules aside, is it really illegal to post the results of a google search in some countries? I would not want to live in that kind of anti-speech dictatorship.
First off, you have to realize that there are different classes of information, even though they may be public. You will rarely as a private person be in trouble if you post someones public personal information (although you will be if you post their sensitive information) but that does not mean its actually yours to publish. The right to your own personal information has strong protection, even stronger in governments that are far from dictatorships, as your rights to your own information is passed by law, by that government.

Also you have to realize that speech is not one single class of action either. Speech is a multitude of actions, we do not call all we say simply speech, we call it lying, sweet-talking, disseminating, shouting etc etc And the actions that you perform by speaking may be illegal.

One of those actions is to post someones personal details and encourage others to harass them. No matter how deserved. In this case I cant think of any court that would fine you, but the forum admins know that they are responsible for what happens here, so they will ban that class of action, however minor, as a rule.

Welcome to the world, its complicated even with free speech :)
I would never do such a thing myself, because it seems rude and aggressive and almost always uncalled for save perhaps in rare emergencies where I was concerned about someone's well-being. I'm just disconcerted that a government would ban the dissemination of public information.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa »

electricanada wrote:I'm just disconcerted that a government would ban the dissemination of public information.
One of the basic principles of Swedish law (and I'm guessing this is the case in most countries) is that your intent matters immensely.

To oversimplify: You can post information about someone because you want everybody to acknowledge what a great person this someone is and it wouldn't be illegal. However, if you post information about someone to defame or to threat that person then it's illegal. I find that to be quite reasonable.
New track! Our first release in a year and a half. Mostly based on the TINRS Fenix IV. :godzilla:

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble »

:lock:
mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala »

electricanada wrote:I'm just disconcerted that a government would ban the dissemination of public information.
Law isn't about "information" as an abstract thing floating in a philosophical void - law is about human beings, their intentions, and their actions. Trying to make the question start and end with "the information is public" is at best naive. It matters what you're doing with the information and why you're doing it, and you don't get to put your intentions outside the question. This is a matter I discussed at some length in this article - which is actually a follow-up to an earlier one, but I'm linking there to encourage people to really read the second part (which is more relevant to this particular question) rather than only the first part.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Twitch stream (Mondays, 3pm Eastern)

If you tell me that your goal is systemic change toward radical acceptance, and I see that you treat those you perceive as lesser-than with the same kind of scorn and derision that pushed me toward this insular little subculture where I feel comfortable [. . .] then you’ve successfully convinced me that your acceptance is not radical and the change you want not systemic. - "When Nerds Collide"
electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada »

mskala wrote:
Law isn't about "information" as an abstract thing floating in a philosophical void - law is about human beings, their intentions, and their actions. Trying to make the question start and end with "the information is public" is at best naive. It matters what you're doing with the information and why you're doing it, and you don't get to put your intentions outside the question. This is a matter I discussed at some length in this article - which is actually a follow-up to an earlier one, but I'm linking there to encourage people to really read the second part (which is more relevant to this particular question) rather than only the first part.
Fair points. I do admit to being a free speech fundamentalist in the abstract.
WRT to your blog post, I can't speak to Canadian law, but in the US, mens rea only comes into play in certain limited contexts. There are plenty of offenses where it has no relevance at all (e.g., running a red light, not paying all your tax bill, and many others).

But we're getting off topic here. This thread should probably focus on warning people about the scammer.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).
wyan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wyan »

I'm getting into DIY synths and this guy seemed interesting, posting the code to some of his chips freely and so on, so it's sad to read about all the undelivered orders in this thread.

In any case, he now claims he's closed for "inventory" until April 15... that's quite a bit of time for an inventory :-o
snaper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by snaper »

Well, I moved from a flat to a house, big step.
From a 6 m2 studio to a 30m2, much better.
Now, I mailed Jan again, since, I have plenty of space for that R808 USB thing I bought last September :D
dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum »

Lurking, wondering, and waiting for my order. Over two months.

Promises, promises. :hmm:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa »

He posted on another forum the other day that he’ll close down the company since he just got a well paying IT job.
New track! Our first release in a year and a half. Mostly based on the TINRS Fenix IV. :godzilla:

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum »

lisa wrote:He posted on another forum the other day that he’ll close down the company since he just got a well paying IT job.
I'm happy for him. I just wish he would honor his existing orders! :despair:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa »

Yeah, he should. Or at least refund everyone that didn’t get what they ordered, now that he can afford it.

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym »

I wonder if he put this “episode “ on his cv when he applied for the job?
dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum »

lisa wrote:He posted on another forum the other day that he’ll close down the company since he just got a well paying IT job.
Could you please post a link to that forum?

Thanks
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc »

dslocum wrote:
Could you please post a link to that forum?

Thanks
Well you need to be a member of the forum to access that sub section, and it's in Swedish anyway.
ricko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ricko »

The best outcome would be for him just to hand over his stock and designs and mail list to someone else, who would agree to fulfill old orders from the last year only or at cost.
dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum »

Good idea, but how would that "new" person know who was owed what after all this time? He could be opening up a big can of worms for himself unless there was a list of people who still hadn't gotten product or a refund.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
mosheen
Common Wiggler

Post by mosheen »

He;s been stiffing people for years now. I'm surprised he still had a store front.
janost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by janost »

Here is the deal.

I’m getting old and want to retire.
So I’ve sold the company.

The new owner wants the entire inventory untouched and no debts.
He also wants the domain deleted.

For any bought and not delivered order please claim a refund.

The dspsynth site closes on Nov 30th and if you have not claimed a refund by then you have to claim it through your bank or creditcard issuer.

I’m sorry if this has brought you any trouble but I want to make everything right before handing over the company to someone that i’m sure will do a much better job with the IP than I ever did.

I’m so very sorry but please allow these beautiful modules live on.
Proud owner of http://www.dspsynth.eu and developer of the smallest MIDI synth in the world, the dsp-G1.
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound »

Your work is amazing, Jan, I have spent so many nights learning and tweaking with your code... why did you treat your customers like that?

WHY?

Anyway, after a heavy dose of skepticism and time, if the new owner delivers, I guess it´s good news
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand »

janost wrote:Here is the deal.

The dspsynth site closes on Nov 30th and if you have not claimed a refund by then you have to claim it through your bank or creditcard issuer.

I’m sorry if this has brought you any trouble but I want to make everything right before handing over the company to someone that i’m sure will do a much better job with the IP than I ever did.

Really, you've got a fucking nerve.

You should be utterly ashamed.

As a brief example, here's one of your uncleared-up messes:
There are others inc. stretching back to 2014 - others earlier in this thread.

Disgusting. I've never seen someone with such long running, low level scamming - twisting & throwing lies at every turn - really, you should be in jail for your retirement.
4floorsofwhores
Common Wiggler

Post by 4floorsofwhores »

BugBrand wrote:
janost wrote:Here is the deal.

Really, you've got a fucking nerve.

You should be utterly ashamed.

As a brief example, here's one of your uncleared-up messes:
There are others inc. stretching back to 2014 - others earlier in this thread.

Disgusting. I've never seen someone with such long running, low level scamming - twisting & throwing lies at every turn - really, you should be in jail for your retirement.
100% this. No hint of guilt in his half arsed apologies. It astonishes me how long he's managed to continuously get away with it
Careful now
dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum »

Wondering if anyone has gotten a promised refund recently?
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
snaper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by snaper »

Just read this.
The only thing I can say, and trust me, I'm a really really patient person, hint :

so, fuck you Jan, honestly, fuck you mate!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 18.35.16.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 18.35.16.png (22.15 KiB) Viewed 736 times

Return to “Music Tech DIY”