DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

rendergoat
Learning to Wiggle

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by rendergoat » Sat May 01, 2021 6:38 pm

That bridge was definitely the issue, it’s oscillating at the correct rate and all knobs are behaving as expected.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun May 02, 2021 1:01 am

:sb:

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sun May 02, 2021 1:18 am

soejrd wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:41 pm
Has anyone got a clue? I can't find anything
If the 2 have exactly the same issue I'd start looking at the orientation of components.
And maybe a wrong component somewhere if you didn't populate all 4 boards together, but only 2 and 2.
I think an "advantage" is that you have 2 working Grids aside, which enables you to compare measurements or spot the wrong component value (visually).

You mention the pots not doing what they should. Do they get the right voltage (+5V) at their input?
When you say "a big part of the pots", is this part the same on both boards with issue?
Some pots work well and some are not? Which ones?
Maybe you need to put more details about the issue. I'm only trying to help here, so others can help finding a solution as you didn't get any answer.
-----------------------------------
FS: KESAKO Player & Reverb for Serge and Buchla

CliffordMilk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CliffordMilk » Tue May 04, 2021 1:22 pm

Rings Help.

I have a freshly built Rings. All works fine apart from the CV inputs for Damp and Structure, which do nothing. I’d be super grateful if anyone could suggest a few places to check to save me a few hours with a magnifying glass.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm

Check you’re getting the correct range of voltages at the outputs of IC7a and IC7d for these parameters.

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Tue May 04, 2021 4:52 pm

CliffordMilk wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:22 pm
Rings Help.

I have a freshly built Rings. All works fine apart from the CV inputs for Damp and Structure, which do nothing. I’d be super grateful if anyone could suggest a few places to check to save me a few hours with a magnifying glass.
Also check the DAMP_ATT and GEOMETRY_ATT pots. I would assume if they are not working correctly (at 'zero') the firmware would ignore the CV inputs. If the other pots are working most likely IC4 4051 is working, could be the 4051 mux inputs for those are broke too, but less likely than other things being wrong.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 pm

I'm building an Edges and there's a short somewhere from the 3.3V rail to ground. I've gone over the damn thing with a loupe several times, unsoldered and resoldered half a dozen parts, and re-unsoldered the ATMega. Betting it's a hidden solder ball somewhere, as I've found about twenty already.

Do I have to buckle down and remove everything that touches the 3.3V rail now, then replace one bit at at time? Any tricks/wisdom to speed this along? This suuuuuucks.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm

I've got a Pyxis from ST Modular that flashes alright, but doesn't really make sounds. It can be coaxed to if I press the buttons a bunch of times, at which point it either sounds a bit like Rings or Elements with plucked sounds, OR it sounds like an Atari explosion. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm

snowtires wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm
I've got a Pyxis from ST Modular that flashes alright but doesn't really make sounds. It can be coaxed to if I press the buttons a bunch of times, at which point it either sounds a bit like Rings or Elements with plucked sounds, OR it sounds like an Atari explosion. Any ideas about what could be wrong?
First, I would check that the orientation of caps and resistors around the 072 feeding the outputs are correct. That board is cramped as hell so a resistor or cap could easily be oriented wrong, swapped, etc... If everything is good there move onto the ADC stereo IC and its surrounding components, a dry joint or wrongly-placed passive could be to blame. Everything good there, move to arm and reflow as needed. Do you have a hot air gun?

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 pm

the_laconic wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 pm
I'm building an Edges and there's a short somewhere from the 3.3V rail to ground. I've gone over the damn thing with a loupe several times, unsoldered and resoldered half a dozen parts, and re-unsoldered the ATMega. Betting it's a hidden solder ball somewhere, as I've found about twenty already.

Do I have to buckle down and remove everything that touches the 3.3V rail now, then replace one bit at at time? Any tricks/wisdom to speed this along? This suuuuuucks.
I removed half the parts and still couldn't figure out what the problem was. So... I don't like chiptune that much anyway.

I'll probably try again in a month though. I hate being defeated by a module. Speaking of which, I'm taking another crack at Twist/uWarps soon. :bang:

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 pm

the_laconic wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 pm
the_laconic wrote:

I removed half the parts and still couldn't figure out what the problem was. So... I don't like chiptune that much anyway.

I'll probably try again in a month though. I hate being defeated by a module. Speaking of which, I'm taking another crack at Twist/uWarps soon. :bang:
Check the 100n caps, especially the ones around the ICs. That's usually where I find shorts in Mutable builds.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm
snowtires wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm
I've got a Pyxis from ST Modular that flashes alright but doesn't really make sounds. It can be coaxed to if I press the buttons a bunch of times, at which point it either sounds a bit like Rings or Elements with plucked sounds, OR it sounds like an Atari explosion. Any ideas about what could be wrong?
First, I would check that the orientation of caps and resistors around the 072 feeding the outputs are correct. That board is cramped as hell so a resistor or cap could easily be oriented wrong, swapped, etc... If everything is good there move onto the ADC stereo IC and its surrounding components, a dry joint or wrongly-placed passive could be to blame. Everything good there, move to arm and reflow as needed. Do you have a hot air gun?
I JUST now realized that there are a bunch of polarized varistors in here, I put 1n caps where they should be. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Thu May 06, 2021 10:48 pm

snowtires wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 pm
the_laconic wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 pm
the_laconic wrote:

Check the 100n caps, especially the ones around the ICs. That's usually where I find shorts in Mutable builds.
That’s good advice. I’m always suspicious of those, but didn’t know that was a thing. I did check an awful lot of those but no dice.

:bang: Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow if I feel like I can take a metaphorical beating.

Throw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Throw » Fri May 07, 2021 11:27 am

soejrd wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:41 pm
soejrd wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 am
I've built 4 Grids of which 2 don't work correctly. The potentiometers seem to behave almost logarithmicly, with a big part of the pots range not registering at all. The output triggers are often acting in an all or nothing scenario, this behavior is also seen in the leds. When I touch certain spots randomly at the PCB it almost seems to behave more as expected, as if something isn't connected correctly.

A big portion of the PCB's were assembled, I only hand-soldered a few parts and am an experienced SMD builder. When measuring all the voltage points nothings seems out of the ordinary, -12v, 12v and 5v all go where they need to go. The firmware also flashes without any errors like the 2 other boards that do work.

When looking at the board I can't spot any bad solder jobs or bridges, comparing it to the Grids that does work they look identical. I've got no idea where to go from here.
Has anyone got a clue? I can't find anything
Double check IC2 for a dry joint.
I beleive I had a similar issue and after flux and a reflow it was all good.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm

p_boban wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am
Hey all,

I am having trouble flashing Grids as well as Branches. I am getting the same error in the Mutable Vagrant for both so it seems to be the programmer, although unsure.

-Using olimex avr-isp-mk2
-Windows 10 with mutable vagrant up and running
- avrdude patched to 5.11, confirmed with "avrdude -v" although i'm a novice with linux so I could be wrong here
- olimex shows up under libusb for device manager on a fresh restart. once vagrant is up and running it disappears from device manager in windows
- used flip to load libusb hex

Error:
make[1]: Entering directory `/vagrant/eurorack-modules'
/usr/local/CrossPack-AVR/bin/avrdude -V -p m328p -c avrispmkII -P usb -B 10 -e -u \
-U efuse:w:0x05:m \
-U hfuse:w:0xd8:m \
-U lfuse:w:0xff:m \
-U lock:w:0x2f:m
avrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive
etc. etc.

Before flashing firmware or installing anything I would get the same error but a lot slower. These rapid fire

Appreciate any help, thank you!
I have the same issue trying to flash Grids with the Olimex (so glad that I bought this instead of just getting a pre-flashed chip :bang:). I didn't see any resolution besides "chips are weird, try a different programmer, a different computer, a different cable, a new chip, and rebuild the rest of the module just to be safe."

Am I doing something stupid? No idea which way to attach the cable to the header, by the way. Am I supposed to buy an adapter for the 10-pin cable?

This flashing process is so fragile. It's either a breeze or it's hours of poring over half-understood technical details and then giving up anyway.

By the way, the chip has power, and there aren't any bridges or anything like that. It seems like a clean job.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm

the_laconic wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm
p_boban wrote:
Am I supposed to buy an adapter for the 10-pin cable?
Yes, 10 pin to 6 pin. Something like this: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 15/5973887

Or, you could use six female-to-female Dupont cables on the proper ports.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Fri May 07, 2021 8:56 pm

snowtires wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm
the_laconic wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm
p_boban wrote:
Am I supposed to buy an adapter for the 10-pin cable?
Yes, 10 pin to 6 pin. Something like this: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 15/5973887

Or, you could use six female-to-female Dupont cables on the proper ports.
Uccccccccch. Wish I'd known that when I ordered the programmer from Digikey.

Thanks for the info. :hail: I hope this takes care of it.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”