DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Maximilianfred wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm
cnicht wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:36 pm
Maximilianfred wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:02 pm
cnicht wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:51 am
Are all the supply rails correct?
Yes I think so I am measuring 11,84 V , -11,65 V and 3,27 V
Have you tried programming it with a compiled hex file from the STM Utility?
Yes I think so i tried STM 32 CubeProgrammer and when I click connect I always get the following error
Error: ST-LINK error (DEV_UNKNOWN_MCU_TARGET)
Soldering issue/damaged processor/something else. Software cant talk to the chip

PabloSrNaranja
Common Wiggler

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:10 am

cnicht wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:40 am
Are all the microcontroller pins correctly soldered?
It was that.... :doh: Thanks for the second pair of eyes :)

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 am

:sb:

Maximilianfred
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maximilianfred » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:32 am

It seems like I might have messed up another Mutable instruments diy build. I built an Antumbra Grid and everything works fine except for that the
second trigger output is always high. I had a look at the schematic is it possible that I might have damaged the SN74HC595PWR and therefore the second trigger output is always high ? If so could I just pop in another new SN74HC595PWR ?

RaouloPaoulo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RaouloPaoulo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:40 am

IMG_4020.jpeg
IMG_4021.jpeg
I have a question concerning Pachinko, the Marbles rework by Jakplugg.

I forgot to order the green push buttons for the top of the module, so I finished and flashed the module without these first. Today the buttons arrived but I'm not sure in which direction the should face. The marginally longer leg of the led push button is marked red. Is that the positive side of the LED? When I installed the buttons this way they didn't light up or reacted to presses. When I installed them the other way around, they began blinking alternately. This doesn't seem correct. So should I solder the button with the long/red leg in the hole marked positive? I attached some picture of the buttons and pcb.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:56 am

it only goes in one way, follow the pattern on the bottom and match those to the holes on the PCB

RaouloPaoulo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RaouloPaoulo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am

[Edit] probably bought the wrong part, as the legs also do not match up. :despair:

If you mean the pattern on the PCB and underside of the buttons, they don’t really match. Attached a picture with the red/long leg marked
Attachments
IMG_4025.jpg

funketek
Learning to Wiggle

Pachinko ADC calibration

Post by funketek » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 am

Hi Guys - I built a Pachinko and have successfully calibrated the DAC, but I'm stumbling at the finish line! Trying to calibrate the ADC, so I hold down rate and spread until the rate LED starts blinking. I then inject 1V into the 'rte' jack and press the rate button at which point the rate LED stops blinking leading me to think that I have exited out of ADC calibration mode. Can anyone who has calibrated one of these before tell me if I am doing something wrong?

okuhtfesa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okuhtfesa » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Hey guys do you have an address in UE for STM32F103CBT6 ans STM32F373RBT6 ? They are out of stock on every regular suppliers...
Moi vouloir être chat

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:00 pm

RaouloPaoulo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am
[Edit] probably bought the wrong part, as the legs also do not match up. :despair:

If you mean the pattern on the PCB and underside of the buttons, they don’t really match. Attached a picture with the red/long leg marked
the painted one is the -. I picked the Highly parts for a very specific reason for pachinko so anything other than the parts listed in the BOM may not work
Last edited by Altitude909 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Pachinko ADC calibration

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 pm

funketek wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 am
Hi Guys - I built a Pachinko and have successfully calibrated the DAC, but I'm stumbling at the finish line! Trying to calibrate the ADC, so I hold down rate and spread until the rate LED starts blinking. I then inject 1V into the 'rte' jack and press the rate button at which point the rate LED stops blinking leading me to think that I have exited out of ADC calibration mode. Can anyone who has calibrated one of these before tell me if I am doing something wrong?
its the other two buttons to calibrate the adc

RaouloPaoulo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RaouloPaoulo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:16 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:00 pm
RaouloPaoulo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am

the painted one is the -. I picked the Highly parts for a very specific reason for pachinko so anything other than the parts listed in the BOM may not work
Thanks for your comment! I now bought the ones from the link in the BOM. Let the wait begin, again. :hihi:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:29 pm

whos bom? My bom has the PB6149L linked, those are not highly parts in your pic.

You can try what you have but if they are taller than 10mm off the board, they will hit the front panel and not work right

S3M1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by S3M1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi fellas and fellitas!
Just got my JakPlugg uTides II from Pusherman kit, put it together (as other 4 modules the same day), all of them are working, but uTides do not :(
The output LEDs are lit, the input signal flashes the pot diodes (but on wrong jack pins actually), but the control LEDs don't do anything, there is no output.
Does anyone have similar problem?
Pusherman website says that the firmware is installed and that I need to do a calibration, but at this state, I can't even start with a calibration since the module does not seem to be working
Thanks a bunch in advance for any advise

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Are you getting signal at the outputs of the DAC?

Check the circuitry and voltages around the LEVEL input as this will affect the output signal level

gamblid
Common Wiggler

Post by gamblid » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:23 am

Hey i got a quick question. Im doing a typhoon build and wanted to know if its possible to migrate the STM from old clouds? in the typhoon bom says to use STM32F427VIT6 / STM32F4XXV2. I got STM32F405RGT6

thanks in advance

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:33 am

gamblid wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:23 am
Hey i got a quick question. Im doing a typhoon build and wanted to know if its possible to migrate the STM from old clouds? in the typhoon bom says to use STM32F427VIT6 / STM32F4XXV2. I got STM32F405RGT6

thanks in advance
No. Different MCUs. Check out the datasheets...

pjbulls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjbulls » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 am

Or you could port the code :lol:

soejrd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by soejrd » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 am

I've built 4 Grids of which 2 don't work correctly. The potentiometers seem to behave almost logarithmicly, with a big part of the pots range not registering at all. The output triggers are often acting in an all or nothing scenario, this behavior is also seen in the leds. When I touch certain spots randomly at the PCB it almost seems to behave more as expected, as if something isn't connected correctly.

A big portion of the PCB's were assembled, I only hand-soldered a few parts and am an experienced SMD builder. When measuring all the voltage points nothings seems out of the ordinary, -12v, 12v and 5v all go where they need to go. The firmware also flashes without any errors like the 2 other boards that do work.

When looking at the board I can't spot any bad solder jobs or bridges, comparing it to the Grids that does work they look identical. I've got no idea where to go from here.

rendergoat
Learning to Wiggle

Slow Braids

Post by rendergoat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 am

Just finished a Braids, this is my first surface mount build, everything was looking good and it flashed perfectly, but it’s running at sub-audio rates, around 8Hz. The waveforms all look correct on the scope, they’re just not at audio rates. I tried calibrating, no change there. The pitch adjustment pots don’t seem to change anything, I’m hoping that may just be a side effect of being in this bad range? Any ideas on what I may have messed up? I’ve got some extra parts, so I don’t mind desoldering some caps/resistors, but I’m at a loss for where to start. Can post pics if that may help.
Last edited by rendergoat on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:56 am

Post photographs

rendergoat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rendergoat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:16 am

Edit: Well, of course after posting pics I think I've spotted the problem, it looks like there's a bridge between R34 and C18. Might be a bit before I have some free time to address this, but I'll update once it's resolved.
slowBraidsTop.jpg
slowBraidsBottom.jpg

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 am

Once you’ve remedied this check to voltage range at the output of IC7a when you turn R20

soejrd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by soejrd » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:41 pm

soejrd wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 am
I've built 4 Grids of which 2 don't work correctly. The potentiometers seem to behave almost logarithmicly, with a big part of the pots range not registering at all. The output triggers are often acting in an all or nothing scenario, this behavior is also seen in the leds. When I touch certain spots randomly at the PCB it almost seems to behave more as expected, as if something isn't connected correctly.

A big portion of the PCB's were assembled, I only hand-soldered a few parts and am an experienced SMD builder. When measuring all the voltage points nothings seems out of the ordinary, -12v, 12v and 5v all go where they need to go. The firmware also flashes without any errors like the 2 other boards that do work.

When looking at the board I can't spot any bad solder jobs or bridges, comparing it to the Grids that does work they look identical. I've got no idea where to go from here.
Has anyone got a clue? I can't find anything

RaouloPaoulo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RaouloPaoulo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:42 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:29 pm
whos bom? My bom has the PB6149L linked, those are not highly parts in your pic.

You can try what you have but if they are taller than 10mm off the board, they will hit the front panel and not work right
so, I meant the parts specified in your BOM originally. They arrived a few days ago, and now everything works as it should be. thanks for your support!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”