DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by forestcaver » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 pm

rembrandtvanrijn wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 am
Parasites is present, yes.
Basically - none of us really know what is wrong with your module without examining it or without you breaking out an oscilloscope or running a debugger on the running mcu....
Altitude909 is right - most issues with modules are to do with soldering. But yours could possibly be explained by an uncalibrated normalisation probe. It takes about 10 seconds to run the calibration procedure so if it’s no realy hassle to try it. It may or may not work but you dont lose much by trying it.... (in my opinion :-) )
If I was you I’d try a version of parasites with the normalisation probe code or I’d try the stock firmware and run the normalisation probe calibration.... you dont lose much by trying it.... but it could just be broken :-)

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:56 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 pm
rembrandtvanrijn wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 am
Parasites is present, yes.
Basically - none of us really know what is wrong with your module without examining it or without you breaking out an oscilloscope or running a debugger on the running mcu....
Altitude909 is right - most issues with modules are to do with soldering. But yours could possibly be explained by an uncalibrated normalisation probe. It takes about 10 seconds to run the calibration procedure so if it’s no realy hassle to try it. It may or may not work but you dont lose much by trying it.... (in my opinion :-) )
If I was you I’d try a version of parasites with the normalisation probe code or I’d try the stock firmware and run the normalisation probe calibration.... you dont lose much by trying it.... but it could just be broken :-)
How can I try it?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:59 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am
Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 am
chances are you have a soldering issue, the normalization probe thing is almost always related to bad soldering. Go over the input circuitry step by step
Interesting! I’m not 100% convinced of that... if so, there would be no need of a calibration routine for it, surely? (Warps has an explicit calibration routine for it, as you know; however, stock parasites does not have the calibration code so if he has parasites installed.... I submitted a pull request with added code btw...
The calibration is for the CV inputs and you break the normalization probe to do it (the cable without anything plugged in). I've shipped several hundred of them by now and have come across the morse code thing exactly zero times, the only time I have come across this is when we were developing Twist a couple years ago and I had a wrong value part in the circuit

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:14 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:59 pm
The calibration is for the CV inputs and you break the normalization probe to do it (the cable without anything plugged in). I've shipped several hundred of them by now and have come across the morse code thing exactly zero times, the only time I have come across this is when we were developing Twist a couple years ago and I had a wrong value part in the circuit
Yeah (we both know exactly how it’s implemented :-) ) I’ve not seen it on one of my modules but I have seen it on someone else’s with correct parts (I believe!) My argument is more along the lines of “I dont know what this is, not got enough information, but the calibration takes 10 seconds and is trivial to do, so why not?” He could plug cables into all the inputs that connect to the adc as well and see if it goes... but, yeah, there could easily be other issues but I have no idea....

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 pm

Knew I'd end up here eventually, so here I am, probably not for the last time either...

Was gifted a 0402 plaits board, with just the 0402 caps and resistors machine fitted, I was left to source and fit the ICs and any of the larger caps etc.

All done, and flashing seems to have worked using a discovery board. The problem I am having is there's a continuous high pitched tone coming from the out and aux at all times. I can hear the normal output underneath it, which changes when you press the mode buttons, although it doesnt sound like its working normally under the tone.

I would hazard a guess its something to do with the 5100 DAC chip, which came from a chinese supplier, but the soldering looks neat and theres no bridges present according to the meter.

anyone have any ideas what could be the issue?

okuhtfesa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okuhtfesa » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:37 am

Hi guys, I need your help to debug my Plaits.
I don''t get any sound on the output but I only get a sound when I trig the input on model 12 to 16. Weird.
Level input doesn't seem to work as well.
Everything else seems to work properly (leds, pots, other VC inputs)

Do you guys have an idea and a method to fix this, I really can't go through...

Edit : fixed, just a regular solder bridge on IC6
Last edited by okuhtfesa on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moi vouloir être chat

PabloSrNaranja
Common Wiggler

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:56 am

pjbulls wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:23 pm
Apparently that GUI was only designed to work with ATmega MCUs, not ATxmega. You can however put in additional arguments just below that box, so you can enter the fuse settings manually.

Those boxes will just add arguments such as -U lfuse:w:0xXX:m to write for example the lfuse into the avrdude call. ATxmega fuses are named fuse1 - fuseN, so the full settings would be -U fuse0:w:0x00:m -U fuse1:w:0x00:m -U fuse2:w:0xBF:m -U fuse4:w:0xFE:m -U fuse5:w:0xF7:m -U lock:w:0x3F:m (untested!).
Hi! thanks for the help. After some try and error I finally download Atmel Microchip Studio and succesfully flash and write the fuses but the behaivour of the module is exactly the same, the3 and 4 channel freq knobs dont respond and only the channel 2 mod input works.

I thing this may be something related to the MCP3208 octal 12-bit ADC. ¿Something about other firmware for this converter?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:39 am

try this
edges.zip
(29.67 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Just open the elf file and program with the correct check boxes checked

Tylerprattco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tylerprattco » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 pm

I’m in the process of building branches, and I’mat a bit of a snag. I bought the kit off of synth cube, and they told me that the chip came preconfigured. I built the whole thing and initially had a little trouble with the lm1117 regulator, and I was only getting about +0.8V from the output. I touched up some solder joints and I think the two electrolytic caps weren’t quite making a connection. Anyways, after cleaning it up I’m getting both +5V and -5V, however it is still not functioning. If the chip wasn’t preconfigured, what happens when you power it Up? Neither of the LEDs are lighting up, and the top two outputs are both reading about 5V. The bottom two have no output.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does it sound like I need to load (or reload) the firmware?

Tylerprattco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tylerprattco » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm

I checked all the incoming voltages on the main chip and everything reads fine. No shorts.

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Post by Staticcharge » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 am

Tylerprattco wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm
I checked all the incoming voltages on the main chip and everything reads fine. No shorts.
[/quotThe LEDs won't light until you patch a trigger/gate into either IN. If you've worked through your power issue and have something patched then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.
Do you have any type of USB programmer?

Tylerprattco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tylerprattco » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:36 am

Staticcharge wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 am
Tylerprattco wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 pm
The LEDs won't light until you patch a trigger/gate into either IN. If you've worked through your power issue and have something patched then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.
Do you have any type of USB programmer?
I have one on the way.

PabloSrNaranja
Common Wiggler

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:41 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:39 am
try thisedges.zip Just open the elf file and program with the correct check boxes checked

OH, thanks! That worked!! :yay:

Now After some minutes using the Edges module osc 3 is going wild to high in pitch or too low. Try calibrating and no way. I will still be trying.

Thanks for the advice

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 pm

I'm putting together a Twist and I'm shaking my head about how to orient the bridge rectifier (BR1). The silkscreen has a notch on one side that should tell me something, but I don't know what. I'd check the board file but I can't figure out how to open what's posted on Github -- it's some format I'm not familiar with, not a straightforward Eagle BRD file.

Can anyone that's built one (or who knows) help me out here?

pjbulls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjbulls » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:11 pm

Assuming the rectifier is an M1BS, the side with the notch on the silkscreen is the side marked with a + on the package.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:35 pm

pjbulls wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:11 pm
Assuming the rectifier is an M1BS, the side with the notch on the silkscreen is the side marked with a + on the package.
Aces! Thanks!

Glide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Glide » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:41 pm

Hello WuffMigglers.

I have built an MI Clouds that I am having some issues getting to work.

I installed the power circuit first, followed by the MCU circuit. I then flashed the stm32 using the mutable vagrant dev environment and an ST-Link V2 (via JTAG), but I made the mistake of only putting the bootloader on.

I continued to then finish off installing components to the board, but when finished and i came to power up I started having issues.

The LEDs would light up in a random fashion each time the board was powered. I was unable to flash the chip again, so I downloaded STFM32 ST Link utility and erased the chip. I was able to flash the bootloader (I think), but the rest of the flashing would fail. I tried this many times.

While trying to diagnose what was going wrong I found that the LM1117 (IC7) was getting very hot, and that pin 2 was only outputting about 0.85v instead of 3.3v

I have removed this regulator and tested it off the board and it appear to work ok, outputting the correct 3.3v, though it is not under any load when doing this.

I have checked for shorts to ground using the Eagle files as reference, but I am unable to find any. Not saying they are not there, I just cant find any :)

Resistance from the 3v3_A circuit to ground is 2.5K - I have no idea if that is relevant?

I am presuming I am unable to flash the STM32 properly as the +3v3_A power circuit is not fuctioning correctly, and the chip isnt getting the required voltage to work correctly.

I am not sure what to do next to try and solve this issue, and would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.

Rafaelxyz
Common Wiggler

Post by Rafaelxyz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:28 pm

Picked up DIY after a year long break and put together a warps. My issue with it is that at power up the leds turn on for a second and then they go off.

I have a vague memory about something similar happening in one of my earlier builds. Is the led blink an hint to the issue?
Last edited by Rafaelxyz on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Glide » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:52 am

Well I think I have answered my own query :)

I went back over the circuit and tested each component for continuity across them. While trying to figure out how I could test the ICs, I noticed that IC4 - the MCP6004 - was the wrong way round. :doh:

I have removed and reattached this IC and the LM1117 regulator, and I have been able to flash the MCU.

The regulator no longer gets hot enough to make tea. :oops:

On to test it now :tu:

Ms304671
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ms304671 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi all,

So I recently finished up building elements. Checked all the voltages across the board, all okay. Flashed the STM, no issues. Soldered in the outputs and gate jacks along with the switch. Powered on and nothing happened. No light in the switch or audio from the outs. Rechecked all the voltages and all is fine there.

Not sure what the issue is, perhaps the precompiled hex files I used? Or do I have to solder in all the pots, jacks and LEDs before it will work?

Any help greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
C7B05AD3-F5FF-4B2F-95EF-4D538C5E500E.jpeg

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Had my first smoker today when I plugged in Twists/uWarps. It seemed OK before I added the hardware -- was able to flash the chip, nothing exploded...
I'm guessing it was the SMD LED that fried, but I have to deconstruct it to be sure. Bet it was one or both of the electrolytic caps for the power supply.

It is so annoying that I can't see a schematic or a board file. There are some files posted on GH, but I can't work out how to view them. I am never building a module without that information again.

Update: tried removing a capacitor and a resistor that I thought were part of the power supply (who knows without a schematic) and were showing continuity between their ends. The pads of the capacitor were shorted together. Then a pad came off with the resistor. Off it goes to the scrap box.

This is the worst DIY experience I've had so far. The panel didn't fit until I Dremeled it, the holes for the small pots were too big so it looked silly, and there was zero support for anything. I know whose panels and PCBs to avoid now, at least.
Last edited by the_laconic on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:39 pm

Ms304671 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:16 pm
Hi all,

So I recently finished up building elements. Checked all the voltages across the board, all okay. Flashed the STM, no issues. Soldered in the outputs and gate jacks along with the switch. Powered on and nothing happened. No light in the switch or audio from the outs. Rechecked all the voltages and all is fine there.

Not sure what the issue is, perhaps the precompiled hex files I used? Or do I have to solder in all the pots, jacks and LEDs before it will work?

Any help greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!
Are you seeing the correct voltages at the outputs of the potentiometer multiplexers?

Also the correct bias voltages at the outputs of the 6004 and 6002 op amps?

arthurdent
Ultra Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:03 pm

the_laconic wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:24 pm

It is so annoying that I can't see a schematic or a board file. There are some files posted on GH, but I can't work out how to view them. I am never building a module without that information again.
Without a link to the files, I'd guess that you need something like KiCad or the free version of Eagle; that's what I use to look at files I need from GitHub.

the_laconic
Common Wiggler

Post by the_laconic » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:36 pm

arthurdent wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:03 pm
the_laconic wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Without a link to the files, I'd guess that you need something like KiCad or the free version of Eagle; that's what I use to look at files I need from GitHub.
I tried everything in Eagle... anyway, here's a link. I'm not going to build this one again, but I would like to know how to view such files, for future reference, if anyone knows.

https://github.com/jakplugg/twist/tree/master/gerb_rohm

pjbulls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjbulls » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:08 am

Gerbers tell you (almost) nothing, they just contain the physical dimensions of the different layers & are used for manufacturing only. The actual schematics / PCB files are in the root of the repository as .dch and .dip files, you need DipTrace to view these.

Also, for MI clones the actual MI schematics are a good reference.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”