DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by forestcaver » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am

Staticcharge wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:56 am
I just checked the data sheet and it states:
"The SSI2164 is quite tolerant of RC network selection, but
220Ω/1200pF has been proven to work well over a wide range of RIN values; existing SSM/V2164 positions with RC networks of 500Ω/560pF
also work well for RIN of 20kΩ or greater."
Veils 2020 uses 510r/560pF with Rin at 49.9k.
Yes, it does. There are differences between the v2164/as2164 and the ssi2164.

Two other people that I know have had exactly the same issue - I suggested changing the RC values or using v2164/as2164 and changing chips resolved their issues.... YMMV... up to you :-)
(v2164 and as2164 are known to work; ssi2164 with the default RC values in veils2 is known not to work - I'm just waiting on some opamps from mouser to finish mine)

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Post by Staticcharge » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 am

Hmmm, that's a pain but would explain it.
V and AS are like hens teeth so RC values it is. Any change I'll post it here.
Thanks.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:43 am

Staticcharge wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 am
Hmmm, that's a pain but would explain it.
V and AS are like hens teeth so RC values it is. Any change I'll post it here.
Thanks.
Thonk has them in stock currently...

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Post by Staticcharge » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:50 am

Nice...Thanks.

RaouloPaoulo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RaouloPaoulo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:32 pm

Staticcharge wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:26 am
RaouloPaoulo wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:04 pm
Silly question but you are powering via the ribbon cable?
Have you tried pluging the ST-link the other way round?
The module will do nothing until the firmware is flashed, bootloader first.
Thanks for your reply, and yes, I did! I also went over the schematic again and, after reflowing everything, measured every voltage point with a more accurate voltmeter. Everything still checks out. :despair:

Staticcharge
Common Wiggler

Post by Staticcharge » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Thonk has them in stock currently...
[/quote]
So after a bit of desoldering and some testing. Coolaudio V2164s are the better if you don't want to mess around with the Rc values. The Alphas are no different to the SSI.

rafyc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rafyc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:02 am

Hi,

To flashing Stages do i need STM32 DISCOVERY board or i could go like Marbles with small patch cable ?
It says unable to connect to the target

channelite
Learning to Wiggle

Post by channelite » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Good to see there are just seven posts for the Shruthi when I did a search through this thread. I'm currently in the process of building one. Waiting for all the parts to arrive. Spending a bit more money then I thought for this project.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:25 pm

rafyc wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:02 am
Hi,

To flashing Stages do i need STM32 DISCOVERY board or i could go like Marbles with small patch cable ?
It’s SWD, so can flash the same as eg Marbles, Plaits, Tides2 etc etc

rafyc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rafyc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:33 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:25 pm
rafyc wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:02 am
Hi,

It’s SWD, so can flash the same as eg Marbles, Plaits, Tides2 etc etc
Ok thanks perfect it was my fault ! flash with succes

PabloSrNaranja
Common Wiggler

Re: Edges ch3 and ch4 static pitch problem

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 am

squarewavesurfer wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 pm
I just flashed my Edges v2 module and calibrated each channel but sadly, I have encountered a problem.

Ch3 and Ch4 do not respond to any pitch changes by either the V/Oct inputs or the potentiometers. I should also mention that ch3 and ch4 respond to the waveform select button just fine.

Although ch1 and ch2 seem to work fine from boot up, their pitch range will change all of a sudden and become very low in frequency, despite sending them Oct4 notes. This seems to occur only after playing around with ch3 and ch4's volumes and waveform settings. The pitch of ch1 and ch2 do return to normal ranges when turning the power to the module off and on again.

In case it is at all related to this issue, I followed a recommendation to uncomment line 26 from the makefile as I have v2 edges pcb and it uses the MCP3208 octal 12-bit ADC for IC13. It was suggested that line 26 of the makefile that reads: "# EXTRA_DEFINES =-DOCTAL_ADC" should be uncommented when flashing a edges that uses the MCP3208. I have not tried to flash the module using the original makefile yet.

Hi! Sorry for the refloat. I am having the exact same issue with edges. How did you finally solve it? Reflux?

squarewavesurfer
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Edges ch3 and ch4 static pitch problem

Post by squarewavesurfer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 am

Error, see next post
Last edited by squarewavesurfer on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTB: Verbos Scan & Pan; Sputnik modules (EF/Preamp, 6 channel mixer, 5 step voltage source); Mutable Instruments Factory panels

squarewavesurfer
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by squarewavesurfer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 am

squarewavesurfer wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 am
quailquillz wrote:Hi Squarewavesurfer. I had the same exact problem. Actually its in this thread around page 38 or so. I flashed the firmware with the "EXTRA_DEFINES =-DOCTAL_ADC" un-commented. Bottom line it ended up being hardware related. I reflowed all the pins of the ADC and cleaned off the flux and it started working. The fact that channels 1 and 2 are acting up makes me think this might be your problem too. Another thing to check is the signal path from the freq pots. Do you get changing voltages on the inputs of the mcp3208 when you turn the pots?
Thanks, i will check the voltages this evening. It may actually be a firmware issue as I misunderstood what "uncomment" meant and deleted all of the code from line26 (the line of code you mentioned above). I will first fix the makefile code and reprogram the module. I hope it turns out to be that simple of a fix.

Update: the problem was all due to the makefile error i made by assuming that uncommenting a line of code meant deleting the line of code altogether.

Thanks for the help!
See bold text
WTB: Verbos Scan & Pan; Sputnik modules (EF/Preamp, 6 channel mixer, 5 step voltage source); Mutable Instruments Factory panels

PabloSrNaranja
Common Wiggler

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi all! I am bulding an EDGES. Everything works fine but the freq pots 3/4 and the mod inputs 2,3 and 4. I checked all the analog part ands seems to be ok. All the voltages at the MCP3208 analog to diigital converter ar as expected so I thing something with the program is happening.

I have only uploaded the hex file, but not set the fuses. When I check the documentation, this are the fuses:

https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack ... s/makefile

FUSE0 = 00
FUSE1 = 00
# bf enables the bootloader
FUSE2 = bf
FUSE4 = fe
FUSE5 = f7
LOCK = 3f

AVRDUDESS only let me to put 3 + lock fuses. Anybody knows how to program that fuses?
Attachments
a.PNG

pjbulls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjbulls » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Apparently that GUI was only designed to work with ATmega MCUs, not ATxmega. You can however put in additional arguments just below that box, so you can enter the fuse settings manually.

Those boxes will just add arguments such as -U lfuse:w:0xXX:m to write for example the lfuse into the avrdude call. ATxmega fuses are named fuse1 - fuseN, so the full settings would be -U fuse0:w:0x00:m -U fuse1:w:0x00:m -U fuse2:w:0xBF:m -U fuse4:w:0xFE:m -U fuse5:w:0xF7:m -U lock:w:0x3F:m (untested!).

PabloSrNaranja
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:54 am

squarewavesurfer wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 am
squarewavesurfer wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 am
quailquillz wrote:Hi Squarewavesurfer. I had the same exact problem. Actually its in this thread around page 38 or so. I flashed the firmware with the "EXTRA_DEFINES =-DOCTAL_ADC" un-commented. Bottom line it ended up being hardware related. I reflowed all the pins of the ADC and cleaned off the flux and it started working. The fact that channels 1 and 2 are acting up makes me think this might be your problem too. Another thing to check is the signal path from the freq pots. Do you get changing voltages on the inputs of the mcp3208 when you turn the pots?
Thanks, i will check the voltages this evening. It may actually be a firmware issue as I misunderstood what "uncomment" meant and deleted all of the code from line26 (the line of code you mentioned above). I will first fix the makefile code and reprogram the module. I hope it turns out to be that simple of a fix.

Update: the problem was all due to the makefile error i made by assuming that uncommenting a line of code meant deleting the line of code altogether.

Thanks for the help!
See bold text
Thanks!

fitzgreyve
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fitzgreyve » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:02 am

Staticcharge wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:58 pm
So after a bit of desoldering and some testing. Coolaudio V2164s are the better if you don't want to mess around with the Rc values. The Alphas are no different to the SSI.
I'm in the process of building veils 2020 with SSI2164's so just caught this in time.
I'll give it a try with the "correct" RC values from the SSI2164 datasheet of 1.2k and 200pF (for the 49.9k input R)
Under developement:
- Reich
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 pm

I have Warps and Elements DIY builds that I don't think are working properly (I'm not the builder and have no skill in that domain).

The Warps especially has a sort of morse code/choppy 2nd channel and based on the Mutable forum it seems there's a firmware fix for factory builds with this known issue. Does anyone know of a firmware for DIY builds that could rectify that?

The Elements seems to have knobs that have no effect on the sound, I was going to try reinstalling firmware on that one whenever I can get it in a powered case.

search64
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by search64 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 am

rembrandtvanrijn wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 pm
The Warps especially has a sort of morse code/choppy 2nd channel and based on the Mutable forum it seems there's a firmware fix for factory builds with this known issue. Does anyone know of a firmware for DIY builds that could rectify that?
There is no difference in firmware for DIY and factory builds, it's the same.

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:03 am

search64 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 am
rembrandtvanrijn wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 pm
There is no difference in firmware for DIY and factory builds, it's the same.
There’s apparently a specific firmware for units displaying this issue but I was denied it on the mutable forum since I have a DIY build. So if anyone here knows about it it would be a big help.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:28 am

Make sure you have calibrated the normalisation probe (may possibly help, but I do know of the bespoke factory fw)

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 am

chances are you have a soldering issue, the normalization probe thing is almost always related to bad soldering. Go over the input circuitry step by step

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:18 am

I'm not capable of doing anything like that, I guess these will have to continue gathering dust.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 am
chances are you have a soldering issue, the normalization probe thing is almost always related to bad soldering. Go over the input circuitry step by step
Interesting! I’m not 100% convinced of that... if so, there would be no need of a calibration routine for it, surely? (Warps has an explicit calibration routine for it, as you know; however, stock parasites does not have the calibration code so if he has parasites installed.... I submitted a pull request with added code btw...

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 am

Parasites is present, yes.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”