Search for Gate Sequencer (was: a simple 'pulse counter'?)

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Black
Common Wiggler

Search for Gate Sequencer (was: a simple 'pulse counter'?)

Post by Black » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:22 am

EDIT: Changed original title. – When writing, I was not aware of the correct terminology, which must have led to some confusion.

I am in search of a quite simple functionality, handling pulses. I imagine three jacks: A pulse in, a reset in, and a pulse out. It want to be able to define for eight consecutive pulses (steps) if on that very step the pulse should go out or not.

This is already it. Well, I would certainly appreciate to be able to set the number of steps to a lower or perhaps higher value. (An alternative solution would not suppress an outgoing pulse but allow longer duration of a step.)

Of course there are hundreds of existing sequencers and switchers that offer far more functionality, which all might be useful in the future. But for the moment I just need this bare minimum, and I have some difficulties to find a simple and cheap solution.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Black on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ears
Veteran Wiggler

Re: a simple 'pulse counter'?

Post by Ears » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:38 am

How about 2 Doepfer A-151s in sequence? Cuz you need those guys anyhow and they’re cheap!

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:53 am

This new Xaoc module may be of interest

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-erfurt

Powerdwarf
Common Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:55 am

Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:57 am

Clock divider?!

Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:03 am

Sorry, that just pulses every 8 pulses.

NE bin seq?
Last edited by Kawouddd on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:04 am

Doepfer Switched Multiple(s)?
Don't believe the hype.

Black
Common Wiggler

re: a simple 'pulse counter'?

Post by Black » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:45 am

Thank you for all these fast responses so far! : - )

I am not sure if it came over clearly what I wanted. Overall, there should be one incoming clock (I called it 'pulse') and one outgoing clock – a copy of the incoming but with a few missing beats here and there.

Most of the suggested/existing modules have 8 inputs or 8 outputs (or both), for which I will also need big multiples and a lot of cables, right?

I consider my requirement as technically not overly complex, but it seems to me there is no single module for a reasonable price and HP size ('reasonable' in relation to what I need) existing. In the end, I will need multiple of them – this is why I am reluctant of complex constructions with much wiring.

Thank you for your help.

moo_lefty
Common Wiggler

Post by moo_lefty » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:35 am

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Re: re: a simple 'pulse counter'?

Post by WarpHead » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:41 am

Black wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:45 am

I am not sure if it came over clearly what I wanted. Overall, there should be one incoming clock (I called it 'pulse') and one outgoing clock – a copy of the incoming but with a few missing beats here and there.

Most of the suggested/existing modules have 8 inputs or 8 outputs (or both), for which I will also need big multiples and a lot of cables, right?

I consider my requirement as technically not overly complex, but it seems to me there is no single module for a reasonable price and HP size ('reasonable' in relation to what I need) existing. In the end, I will need multiple of them – this is why I am reluctant of complex constructions with much wiring.

Thank you for your help.
So one input, one output, with one trigger stream and the ability to drop/add any (of up to 8) selected triggers?

I'd do a search on Modulargrid for a Euclidean module? Set to 8 steps, choose trigger amount, and set rotation. But not really on-the-fly control per step.

Alternatively a clock divider or sequencer to control a switch to switch trigger stream on or off at selected points, or even just a VCA gating the trigger stream or a static offset (simple AND)? You could then choose when the pulse/'gate' gets sent through or not, by opening the VCA (eg sequenced or clock divided gates).

I am probably still misunderstanding your use case!

Edit: TipTop trigger riot/z8000 or one of the Malekko blocks?
E.g., trigger riot 'step' function:

"Step: Places single shot triggers on individual clock ‘Steps’ to trigger events once per pattern. This can also be seen as a pulse counter."
Don't believe the hype.

oakwood
Common Wiggler

Post by oakwood » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 am

This may be less determinitive than you want, but maybe a probability skipper?

https://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1649

bronzebygold
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bronzebygold » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 am

No reset, but Adventure Audio Count would otherwise be a very simple solution: https://www.adventurepedals.com/eurorack/count

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 7.40.05 AM.png

eatmykids
Common Wiggler

Post by eatmykids » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 am

i was going to suggest ladik probability skipper as above and also MI branches
you may have to compromise

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: re: a simple 'pulse counter'?

Post by R.U.Nuts » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 am

Black wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:45 am

Thank you for your help.
Any clock divider or trigger sequencer will do this. If size and price are important: Doepfer A-160-2, Ladik clock divider or 4MS RCD.

grrrwaaa
Common Wiggler

Post by grrrwaaa » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 am

Black wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:22 am
I am in search of a quite simple functionality, handling pulses. I imagine three jacks: A pulse in, a reset in, and a pulse out. It want to be able to define for eight consecutive pulses (steps) if on that very step the pulse should go out or not.
I read it three times and each time it sounded like a different thing -- seems like other posters too.

Is what you want an 8-step trigger sequencer with a physical switch per step? (Or some other user interface to define that?)

Black
Common Wiggler

Post by Black » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:51 am

grrrwaaa wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 am
I read it three times and each time it sounded like a different thing -- seems like other posters too.

Is what you want an 8-step trigger sequencer with a physical switch per step? (Or some other user interface to define that?)
I am sorry if I wasn't clear.
WarpHead wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:41 am
So one input, one output, with one trigger stream and the ability to drop/add any (of up to 8) selected triggers?
Yes.

Let me please try it again: A clock goes in. Same clock comes out. But sometimes an (otherwise expected) clock pulse will be suppressed. Within a cycle of, say, eight steps I want to switch on or off single pulses. My user interface would perhaps show me eight switches; if I set #2 and #5 to 'off', the others to 'on', i would get the following sequence:

x _ x x _ x x x x _ x x _ x x x x _ x
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3

Thank you for asking – hope this helps… : - )

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 am

Black wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:51 am
grrrwaaa wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 am

I am sorry if I wasn't clear.
WarpHead wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:41 am
Yes.

Let me please try it again: A clock goes in. Same clock comes out. But sometimes an (otherwise expected) clock pulse will be suppressed. Within a cycle of, say, eight steps I want to switch on or off single pulses. My user interface would perhaps show me eight switches; if I set #2 and #5 to 'off', the others to 'on', i would get the following sequence:

x _ x x _ x x x x _ x x _ x x x x _ x
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3

Thank you for asking – hope this helps… : - )
You're looking for a trigger sequencer. Basically a TR-XOX style trigger sequencer

etckla
Common Wiggler

Post by etckla » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:18 am

One of the applets in Ornament and Crime hemisphere suite has 2 channels of 8 step trigger xox sequencers.

You can run 2 instances of that applet giving you 4 channels. You can also chain and toggle between them. It's pretty handy!

Alternatively I think Delphonics Triggerman does this, but maybe overserves your specific use case https://delptronics.com/triggerman.php

Sonic0boom
Common Wiggler

Post by Sonic0boom » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:51 am

I know this is not quite what you are looking for, but i think it is worth a look: Missed Opportunities

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:14 am

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:03 am
NE bin seq?
Just to reiterate, this is exactly what OP described.

https://noiseengineering.us/products/bin-seq

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 am

Ladik has you covered!

The Ladik S-180 has a trigger input, a trigger output and 8 buttons each with an LED. You hit the button to turn that step on/off. There are jumpers on the back to select between trigger and gate output. oops it's not jumpers, it's holding button combos on power up. ..

4hp module. Long press a button to change the length of the sequence. There are also double presses for saving and for changing mode (down, up, two ping pong modes, random) these are clearly marked with graphics on the panel, so no cheat sheet required.
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=34

This module is also a master for various slave modules for cv sequencing, per gate outputs etc. Personally I would avoid the cv expander with the tiny knobs, they are very imprecise. The 8hp one is way way better. The individual gate output expander is useful. You can chain multiple slaves to a single S-180.

Ladik also do a controller to link multiple S-180s together for more than 8 steps and for different series/parallel configurations.

slippage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slippage » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am

antonriehl wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:14 am
Kawouddd wrote:
NE bin seq?

Yeah, I think the confusion was with the word "counter" instead of "gate sequencer". There are a number of modules that do this but bin-seq seems to be the most straight forward. Bin seq has the advantage of doing holds or short gates vs the ladik which can do pingpong and random modes and sequence length without a reset. How short are those short gates anyway?

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 am

Any clock source plus Branches/Ladik Probability.

Black
Common Wiggler

Search for Gate Sequencer

Post by Black » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 am

Thank you everybody. There were some very good ideas I think!

Especial thanks to @Kawouddd, @antonriehl and @colb – you mentioned those two modules that are closest to what i need. : - )
slippage wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am
[…]
There are a number of modules that do this but bin-seq seems to be the most straight forward. Bin seq has the advantage of doing holds or short gates vs the ladik which can do pingpong and random modes and sequence length without a reset. How short are those short gates anyway?
ladik I think also has the advantage of a being cheaper – as I said, I will need multiple of these modules.
Last edited by Black on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:37 am

slippage wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am
antonriehl wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:14 am
Kawouddd wrote:
NE bin seq?

Yeah, I think the confusion was with the word "counter" instead of "gate sequencer". There are a number of modules that do this but bin-seq seems to be the most straight forward. Bin seq has the advantage of doing holds or short gates vs the ladik which can do pingpong and random modes and sequence length without a reset. How short are those short gates anyway?
The Ladik does gates or triggers. The gates are 'full width'/'tied', so two in a row keeps the gate open. The triggers are 2ms. The drawback is that it's a global setting, while the bin Seq is per step. I've not used the Bin seq, but I like the look of those switches. The Ladik ones are small, they work very well, but they're not shiny metal like on the Bin Seq, and having the per step gate/trigger option is nice.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”