Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
jjr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:41 am
Location: Baltimore

Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by jjr » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:00 am

https://buchla.com/red-panel/

This says they are discontinued, is that true ? Wonder why?
Smurfs

User avatar
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"
Posts: 2064
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 am
Location: Albany, New York
Contact:

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:05 am

Probably oversaturated market

User avatar
Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 3:22 am

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by Agawell » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:21 am

iirc catalyst(?) who made them before buchla got involved have said that they will restart production at some point in the future
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

User avatar
Domin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:46 pm
Location: Squeezed between gibberish and cliche

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by Domin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:28 am

To me they seem to be extremely expensive for what they do. And it doesn't even say Buchla on the face plate. Do they Buchla bongo?

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by kwaidan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:49 am

Catalyst Audio has taken over the line, and new modules will be released. In the Buchla section, there is a long thread devoted to Red Panel.

User avatar
xenus_dad
Common Wiggler
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by xenus_dad » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:00 am

They were Catalyst Audio to begin with, then Buchla brought them in house as Red Panel. It's nice to hear that they will be able to be produced and that Buchla didn't just acquire them to kill them.

They're pretty careful Eurorack reproductions of 100 Series modules, fully discrete and beautifully made. They're expensive for the equivalent functions in current Eurorack, but they're enormously cheaper than actual 100 Series modules. You wouldn't get these to get an oscillator... You get them to get as close to a Buchla 158 as you're probably going to get today.

I had a set of these for a while, and while I didn't have real 100 Series modules to compare them to, it seemed as close as I would be able to get to experiencing a historic synth. I did pass them on eventually, but I was glad for the opportunity to have them.

ari ellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 am

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by ari ellis » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:52 am

Domin wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:28 am
To me they seem to be extremely expensive for what they do. And it doesn't even say Buchla on the face plate. Do they Buchla bongo?
I know I'm a curmudgeon, but my honest reaction is good riddance. The price of red panel never made a lick of sense.

User avatar
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Countryside, Czechia
Contact:

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by mnchrme » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:12 pm

Pricing was not really appealing, to begin with, IMO.

User avatar
Domin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:46 pm
Location: Squeezed between gibberish and cliche

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by Domin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:34 pm

ari ellis wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:52 am
Domin wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:28 am
To me they seem to be extremely expensive for what they do. And it doesn't even say Buchla on the face plate. Do they Buchla bongo?
I know I'm a curmudgeon, but my honest reaction is good riddance. The price of red panel never made a lick of sense.
Actually the pricing on anything extremely expensive for what it does makes a lot of sense. The mind will find the way do justify it. There will be an encounter with exquisite workmanship and unparalleled experience of a commune with the masters of the craft.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4513
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 am

Catalyst Audio was at Knobcon showing off a pretty complete-looking System 100 lineup they plan to ship over the next six months:


kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by kwaidan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:15 am

I like how he combined the 192 lo pass filter with the 194 bandpass filter.

I wonder how pricing will compare with Red Panel.

User avatar
mnchrme
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Countryside, Czechia
Contact:

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by mnchrme » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 am
Catalyst Audio was at Knobcon showing off a pretty complete-looking System 100 lineup they plan to ship over the next six months:

Thanks for this I have missed it. Love watching these vids. :-)

User avatar
mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:34 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by mgscheue » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 am

Look great! Very glad David is continuing with these.

User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by drowld » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 am

I'm selling my Red Panel 158 dual osc if anyone is interested pm me
WTB: Mimeophon, WMD SSF DPLR, Frap Tools Brenso, Intellijel Rainmaker, Rossum Morpheus,
Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, Jomox Alpha Base, Read Panel 158, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

User avatar
joem
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by joem » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am

Probably didn't help their marketing when the moderators here didn't allow the major Red Panel discussion in eurorack forum... even though they were specifically eurorack modules. :despair:

User avatar
deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm

joem wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am
Probably didn't help their marketing when the moderators here didn't allow the major Red Panel discussion in eurorack forum... even though they were specifically eurorack modules. :despair:
Really? Why was that?

User avatar
joem
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by joem » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:36 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm
joem wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am
Probably didn't help their marketing when the moderators here didn't allow the major Red Panel discussion in eurorack forum... even though they were specifically eurorack modules. :despair:
Really? Why was that?
If you mean why did it probably not help marketing: This is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, eurorack forums in the world. And it's a safe assumption that there are more eurorack buyers hanging out in the "Eurorack modules" forum than in the "Buchla, EMS & Serge" forum.

If you mean why did the mods do that: I have no idea. I didn't understand it then either. Made absolutely no sense, and I'm surprised people in the "Buchla, EMS & Serge" didn't put up enough of a stink to have it moved.

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Buchla Red Panel Discontinued?

Post by luketeaford » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:53 pm

joem wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:36 pm
deftinwulf wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm
joem wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am
Probably didn't help their marketing when the moderators here didn't allow the major Red Panel discussion in eurorack forum... even though they were specifically eurorack modules. :despair:
Really? Why was that?
If you mean why did it probably not help marketing: This is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, eurorack forums in the world. And it's a safe assumption that there are more eurorack buyers hanging out in the "Eurorack modules" forum than in the "Buchla, EMS & Serge" forum.

If you mean why did the mods do that: I have no idea. I didn't understand it then either. Made absolutely no sense, and I'm surprised people in the "Buchla, EMS & Serge" didn't put up enough of a stink to have it moved.
It's simply that wherever the thread is that gains traction is the one we use and when topics are moved we leave shadow topics in place, and move posts or leave links to the main thread and lock it to avoid confusion. As far as I'm aware, no moderators are opposed to moving topics between subforums.

It's just kind of the way it is that some topics span forums. You'll find Buchla/Serge in 4U, DIY and now sometimes in Euro. I recommend subscribing or bookmarking threads you're interested in following and quoting people with the quote feature when you're responding to them specifically so it's easy for everyone to find your posts.

In general, there is less of a stink in the 4U forums and all that stuff is worth reading even for people who exclusively play eurorack instruments.

Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”