Thunderstorms + Eurorack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Bad thunderstorm coming through. Do you:

Keep calm and carry on -- everything is plugged in through a surge protector.
36%
Unplug your surge protector -- no need to take any chances.
52%
No fear -- keep jamming even with no surge protector.
11%

Total votes: 61

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Thunderstorms + Eurorack

Post by Matt_L » Tue May 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Has anyone ever lost any gear to an electrical spike? I had an external hard drive and a router fried once -- we had them plugged into a power strip but it turned out it wasn't actually a surge protector. Wondering what to do with my eurorack cases -- already have them going through a Furman surge suppresser but considering putting them through my Cyberpower UPS system instead (though I don't even know if this would make a difference compared to the Furman!)

nomass
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Thunderstorms + Eurorack

Post by nomass » Tue May 04, 2021 4:23 pm

I have never had any damage to anything, and I’ve been ignoring storms while using electronic audio equipment on a near daily-basis since 1982. I usually have some kind of surge protector. I can’t say I’m very worried about surges.

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Tue May 04, 2021 4:46 pm

I usually keep my stuff connected, except when it gets really bad. There's a church tower just about 100 yards from my place, and typically, the lightnings prefer to strike there first, that's my cue to unplug after all.
But at one time I had to replace two PCs in my studio after a thunderstorm, even though I wasn't there, and that means everything was disconnected via a main power switch in the fuse box. But the ground connection remained, and the PCs were connected to the local ethernet, and that was the way the surge took. The whole LAN in that building was fried, I was only one of very many people who needed new computer parts after that night. My audio gear survived.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Tue May 04, 2021 4:49 pm

I unplug everything at the first sound of thunder. I wouldn’t trust a surge protector when it comes to lightening.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm

I had a whole-house surge-protector installed. Goes between the meter and the panel. Cost about $100.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Tue May 04, 2021 7:23 pm

Co-worker had lightning strike a tree in his front yard. Which was near a metal fence. Which went up to his house. The strike pretty much destroyed everything that was plugged in, even where power strips/surge protectors, etc were off. Base boards that had power conduit underneath were blown away. I’d not believe it except for the pictures he showed us all. Lightning strikes are rare but they can jump all sorts of distances and surge protectors don’t really help at all.

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 pm

UPS with surge protection is the way. It’s not, imho, that much for piece of mind.

Where I work I’ve seen multiple lab devices and their data that were arguably saved by having a UPS. Though, you’d be surprised by how bad the electricity/wiring/buildings are in some of these “big” pharma labs.

So much lost data... so much...

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue May 04, 2021 9:42 pm

Years ago I worked for a company that made surge protectors and it is all about a high joule rating. We heard plenty of horror stories. However, I have only had one loss to a storm. The $400 mother board of our fancy Miele washing machine. Thankfully it was under warranty. Having a home with good wiring might be a factor, but if it is a real nasty storm I’m in the unplug group.

ether
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ether » Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 pm

You’ll find me on the roof, one hand holding a kite, the other on my pressure points….
:nuke: :moneyburn:

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Wed May 05, 2021 12:33 am

A tree was hit by lightning outside my house. A few pieces of gear and my modem and router got fried. It happens. I have insurance for this kind of thing.

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Wed May 05, 2021 10:16 am

Lightning doesn't come on land too much around here for some reason, and when it does it mostly stays to the mountains.
Never seen it near the house.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Wed May 05, 2021 10:25 am

I have 3 surge protectors, 12 outlets each, and regardless of possible incoming inclement weather, I always unplug all 3 surge protectors when I'm not in my auditory meth lab. Gives my wife piece of mind, especially if I'm not home.

brandnewmath
Common Wiggler

Post by brandnewmath » Wed May 05, 2021 12:09 pm

My pretty old house with pretty old wiring doesn't have grounded outlets, so I unplug during thunderstorms just to be sure.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 pm

My apartment complex had to get done repairs done recently to caused several outages so I bought a UPS and haven’t looked back. If the UPS starts beeping, I’ll start powering things down but otherwise I always leave everything turned on because I like the lights and don’t want to have to deal with remembering/saving current state of all my modules.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Wed May 05, 2021 12:44 pm

Had a ground-strike 25ft outside my flat in the early 80's. Nothing was switched on at the time but my stereo Hi-Fi amp died (output transistors died). Not sure what help a UPS is when earth is no longer ground and a gazillion coulombs are dissipating where it can in a couple of milliseconds.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Wed May 05, 2021 9:01 pm

We have a very old house that still has two lighting rods on the roof. They look pretty cool. Who knows maybe some day they will save the day.

Muff McMuff
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 am

If there are distant rumbles i am not bothered but if it moves over the city i unplug stuff.

Actually i only got into synths due to a thunderstorm. I was out cycling in the middle of some fields. A wide open farming area. A storm started with huge thunderclaps. Turned quite scary. I took some video clips and when i got home i played them and there was no thunder? I didn't know the inbuilt camera mic couldn't handle the low frequencies. Bit of googling and i bought a Tascam DR-05, found a Andrew Huang video making sounds for the photographer Peter Mckinnon. Looked at his latest video it was a Akemies Taiko BIA jam. Shocked by the price of it all i got into VCV Rack...secondhand MInibrute...Doepfers, Ladiks, DIY rack, soldering iron, Thonk...etc etc . It would be quite funny if direct lightning strike detroyed all my gear and ended it all!

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Thu May 06, 2021 4:34 am

ether wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 pm
You’ll find me on the roof, one hand holding a kite, the other on my pressure points….
:hihi: Might be a little too high of a voltage for your gate inputs. :deadbanana:

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 am

helix wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:34 am
ether wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 pm
:hihi: Might be a little too high of a voltage for your gate inputs. :deadbanana:
Might help resolve any dry finger issues operating pressure points, or any finger issues really...

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Thu May 06, 2021 7:16 pm

I’ve lost appliances over the years to storms. I unplug my music equipment after every use. Never play during a storm unless I absolutely have to for some reason.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Fri May 07, 2021 10:02 pm

From my own experience and apparently the accounts here, there's no way to really predict the likelihood of an incident and make suggestions. The storms here are almost always strong and flashy and I have never had an incident. I never unplug anything or turn it off until the battery backups start the fast beeping. Just like being struck with lightning, the likelihood of an incident is unpredictable but very low. If you feel better unplugging everything then by all means, but 99.999999% of the time it's going to be wasted effort and lost inspiration if you're in the middle of a jam.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”