Tip of cable snapped off inside module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Tip of cable snapped off inside module

Post by nuromantix » Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 am

I noticed that the end was missing from a patch cable, then I noticed that I can't get a cable into the TRI output of my Maleko Anti Osc.
So I guess the snapped off cable-end is in there. I hoped to be able to poke it out from the back but the socket is soldered directly on to the board. Any tips to remove this without desoldering the jack socket from the board? or is that what I'm going to have to do?

thanks.

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Tip of cable snapped off inside module

Post by helix » Tue May 04, 2021 8:25 am

Probs too dangerous, but tiny drop of superglue and allow to dry somehow, then pull out? Nah you'll end up with glue in jack i'm sure

Tiny tiny tweezers?! Oh man i don't envy you!

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Tue May 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Wish I had some solid advice for you, but wanted to bump the thread hoping some greater minds out there can help you out.

Good luck!

Common Wiggler

Post by 11235813 » Tue May 04, 2021 5:08 pm

Turn the entire module upside down, then insert a cable to see if that opens the springs inside the jack and slowly "knock" the tip out of there while slowly withdrawing the cable? IDK, never happened to me.

Common Wiggler

Post by 11235813 » Tue May 04, 2021 5:13 pm

AH Ha!!!!! YouTube says to use the little tube from a ball point pen!!! Just push it in!
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... thout+glue+

Please report back...

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Tue May 04, 2021 5:23 pm

Sorry about that. Never heard of it before. I assume you can see into the blocked jack. Is it just the tip? Can you post a photo of the broken plug? What make of patch cord is it?
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS/US DSM03, Erica Swamp, Mutable Instruments Sheep

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 pm

I have a set of thin screw drivers for computers and they are magnetized. Maybe something like that would help?

goldMarket
Common Wiggler

Post by goldMarket » Tue May 04, 2021 10:06 pm

Im rly invested in this -- please keep us updated!!

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 pm

if the jack isnt on the edge of the board, just remove all the knobs and mounting hardware, take off the front panel and if the layout is open enough you should be able to get a small needle nose in there to get the broken piece off. Just be careful because if you need Malekko to fix it, good fucking luck getting them to return an email.

Probably over thinking it, but if you consider the amount of force likley required to break the connector off, depending on how the jack is mounted, Id be concerned about possibly having torqued the solder connection and would at a minimum consider reflowing the solder joint holding the jack to the pcb. If you had to desolder it to remove the jack, I wouldnt necessarily look at that as a bad thing.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 pm

The superglue idea will work. Use a round toothpick.

Break it in half and rub the break on concrete, sandpaper, a nailfile, to make it flat and remove stray fibers.
This increases the surface area in contact with the plug, and will sok up alittle ore superglue if yo apply too much.

Use *fresh* superglue.
Apply super glue to toothpick. This way you can control the amount *before* you get near the jack.
Touch the small drop of glue on the toothpick tip to the piece of the plug in the jack. Holding it there, breathe on it.
The moisture in your breath will help to set the super glue.
Wait a bit trying to stay still.
Pull out the broken plug tip.

Five minute epoxy is an alternative to super glue.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue May 04, 2021 10:39 pm

just the tip?
TOO FAR GONE

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 04, 2021 10:39 pm

transistorresistor wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 pm
Probably over thinking it, but if you consider the amount of force likley required to break the connector off, depending on how the jack is mounted, Id be concerned about possibly having torqued the solder connection and would at a minimum consider reflowing the solder joint holding the jack to the pcb. If you had to desolder it to remove the jack, I wouldnt necessarily look at that as a bad thing.
Shouldn't be a problem if the jack has a nut and is fastened to the panel. If a non-nut type like Behringer uses then for sure check the solder joints.

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 pm

+1 for cyanoacrylate/superglue trick.

I usually grease the toothpick...actually, I use the bamboo bbq skewers. Then I nip it off with my wire cutters, and I use a loctite gel glue. It slides off the grease, so there's only glue on the end.

Stick it in the jack...I usually twirl it a bit to make sure it gets the broken bit.

Wait 10 minutes, twirl again to make sure no glue sticking to jack.

Lift, voila!

Magnet probably wont work...most ts plugs are nickel plated brass...not enough nickel to pick it up.

We used to use locking trrs 3.5 jacks for our lights and turn signal addons. Most customers didn't understand the locking mechanisms, so broken off tips were pretty common until we went to Juliet connectors.
----------------------

Flounderguts

nuromantix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 am

Thanks everyone. No luck so far. I tried unsoldering the jack but ... I don't know what kind of solder they use but I can't melt it with my cheap soldering iron.
Maybe I'll try the trick with superglue but it seems like such a tight squeeze, I think the socket is going to have to come off somehow.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 am

The super glue will work.
Flounderguts and I are not guessing. We've been there.

One of the hardest things to do when troubleshooting is to resist the idea that you know what it is, and it just *couldn't* be that other thing. <--It often ends up being that other thing that we dismiss. We all do it.

Try the super glue.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 am

Some sockets are open in the back, so check that first. If they are open you can push it through.
If not, hmm advice above with glue might be a good idea

dot matrix madness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dot matrix madness » Wed May 05, 2021 7:27 am

If the stuck tip is hollow then you could try sticking a wooden stick (kind of a thicker toothpick)
into that hole. Sort of variation of the super glue method.
Had that issue before inside a Tiptop stackable cable :-X
Licenced to solder since 1993

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Wed May 05, 2021 8:48 am

Ask an air hostess, they all know how to pull broken jack tips from the plane’s seat audio system.

I’d really not do the superglue thing myself, I’d rather try different size of small wood screw first see if I could catch it this way.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed May 05, 2021 2:06 pm

I managed to get the end of a stereo minijack out that had got stuck in an imac headphone socket by simply poking the remainder of the jack plug in & out a number of times until it miraculously snagged on the tip and pulled it out!

I was amazed it worked....but it all depends on how it has broken I guess. and my jack plug was a stereo one

Was very relieved, as I would have had to open up the entire imac otherwise

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed May 05, 2021 3:45 pm

only additional thing Id add here is that I had an old malekko module and the jacks were *very* tight which might explain the cable breaking. Try the superglue for sure, but with so few connections to the front panel Id just remove the front panel to better asses the situation.

In order to desolder that jack, the easiest way to do it would be to flow new solder over the joint and try to remove as much as possible with a solder sucker. Desoldering lead free is a pain but the best way to get it to flow is by adding more solder and then trying your best to suck it all out. Remember, pushing your iron on there with all the force in the world aint gonna heat it up any better and thats a fast path to damaging a trace. Flow new solder over the existing connection, clean the whole thing out.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 05, 2021 11:00 pm

If you're a beginner, chip quik can be useful for de-soldering. Tha'ts what its designed for.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 am

Everyone's toolbox would benefit from a tiny Pick set.
Cheapos from HFreight or fancy SnapOn, whatever, but they're super helpful.

I'd try pushing from behind, first, with a pick of some sort, or a sewing needle to get in there.

Then the superglue and the toothpick method to pull it out if you can't grab it with anything or push it.

Tried and true methods.

Cheap picks ($2):

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu May 06, 2021 2:22 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 am
I'd try pushing from behind, first, with a pick of some sort, or a sewing needle to get in there.
acidbob wrote: Some sockets are open in the back, so check that first. If they are open you can push it through.
nuromantix in 1st post wrote: I hoped to be able to poke it out from the back but the socket is soldered directly on to the board.
Kosmikos wrote:Ask an air hostess, they all know how to pull broken jack tips from the plane’s seat audio system.
:hihi: That's some funny truth right there!
Kosmikos wrote:I’d really not do the superglue thing myself, I’d rather try different size of small wood screw first see if I could catch it this way.
OP hasn't shown us how the plug is broken. It may only be the very tip at the bottom of the jack. Between tip and sleeve, breaking at the insulator. Seen that before a number of times. Cheap or well-worn plug the problem there. Super glue worked every time. Epoxy in the years before super glue became common. This is not an unusual or new problem in studios. Or the plug might be broken where the plug sleeve enters the plug body. That's more often due to an accidental side force applied to the plug. Yanking on a cord, or gear falling on its face.The woodscrew idea can work if there's enough plug sleeve to create friction to resist the rotational force you're trying to use to embed it. But usually the plug just spins and the screw doesn't bite. A drywall or sheet metal screw has a harder and finer tip than wood screws. It also depends on the plug and its materials and construction. Super glue doesn't care about any of that. It just works.

----------------
BlinkyLights wrote: Everyone's toolbox would benefit from a tiny Pick set.
Yes. Ask your dentist or RDH to give you their worn 'explorers' and dental picks. They throw them away once they get beyond usability. Great quality steel and finely sized. Some 'strip mall' importers and Army 'surplus' type of stores now carry non dental grade picks of similar type. Along with Hemostats and other similar non-medical, medical instruments The HF picks are huge in comparison. And bend easily. They're cheap for a reason.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Sugarwolf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sugarwolf » Thu May 06, 2021 8:35 am

A Capri Sun straw fits real good over my cables that may work.

Cooole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cooole » Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 am

Sugarwolf wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:35 am
A Capri Sun straw fits real good over my cables that may work.
Username checks out.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”