Casper/Bastl Ikarie Stereo Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Casper/Bastl Ikarie Stereo Filter

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 am

I really just wish this thing had 3-way switch for clipping internal + external voltage for the filter frequency so that you could prevent the filter from doing the LP -> HP flip (or vice versa) when you don't want that. To me, that is the main disadvantage of the Ikarie over bigger analog stereo filter alternatives. If you want to wiggle the cutoff knob while also sending CV to cutoff, you have to keep your hands on both the cutoff knob and the attenuator to prevent the voltage from reaching a positive or negative value that would switch the filter from LP to HP or vice versa. It's a little ironic given the effort put into the controls layout so that cutoff + resonance could be playable with one hand.

It does sound amazing and has a great feature set that overlaps a lot with things I miss about the Klangbau Köln Twin Peak Resonator I had to sell. I would pay Bastl extra for such a mod.

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 am

Looking to pull the trigger on one of these for my 42 HP Skiff and then using it with the Chainsaw...
"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."

oofwello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oofwello » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:51 am

dvdmllr wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 am
oofwello wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am
Anyone managed to compare this to a SSF Stereo Dipole? I just purchased the dipole and sounds great but this could have saved me a lot of HP!
I replaced my Dipole with the Ikarie and couldn’t be happier. Wasn’t really vibing with the Dipole, too “clean” for my taste.
Dammnnn, and the Ikarie is all analogue too, not digital right?...and a lot cheaper and less hp, maybe a win for me to swap:)

rareo
Common Wiggler

Post by rareo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:13 am

I have both the Dipole and Ikarie and they are not very similar.

On the Dipole you have independent filters, I often use is as two mono filters. The binaural effects can be more pronounced and interesting on the Dipole. You can create chords with resonance and spread and then ping them and/or modulate the independent 1v/o and spread controls, along with the shared inputs, simultaneously. So independent and shared controls all the same time on the Dipole. Bandpass on the Dipole. Seriel / Parellel routing per side with side via switches. The drive circuit can be nice at times, but not all the time, it's almost always good to add a tiny bit of hair if used modestly.

Ikarie is a great sounding filter to add additional spread effects on stereo, or also mono signals. Can push the signal into a nice saturation. Resonance is pretty filthy. You share one set of freq and res between the two. The beyond output is really cool. The envelope follower is nice for easily accessible dynamics. Moving from lowpass to to hipass can be interesting. It's nicely designed and easy on space.

Both filters sound amazing. I don't see them as being interchangable.

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 am

oofwello wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:51 am
dvdmllr wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 am
oofwello wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am
Anyone managed to compare this to a SSF Stereo Dipole? I just purchased the dipole and sounds great but this could have saved me a lot of HP!
I replaced my Dipole with the Ikarie and couldn’t be happier. Wasn’t really vibing with the Dipole, too “clean” for my taste.
Dammnnn, and the Ikarie is all analogue too, not digital right?...and a lot cheaper and less hp, maybe a win for me to swap:)
Like rareo mentioned, they are indeed very different filters and may actually complement each other well if your setup allows for 20 + 8 HP of stereo filtering. It's important for you to understand what type of filter you are after.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sun May 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Been reading and watching loads about the Ikarie - looks great.

I’m thinking about adding it to a drum rack.

Are people using it with drums or percussion and if so what’s your experience? I know there’s a brief bit in one of the videos.

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Mon May 03, 2021 9:16 am

just ordered mine, I'm so hyped :hyper: love the Bastl ethos/aesthetics/sonics
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon May 03, 2021 11:30 am

I love using it with samples / dense material - there’s definitely magic in that - not so much on synth voices.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue May 04, 2021 6:05 pm

Used it with my Wingie yesterday and put Beads after it and tried it before it. Very fun. I liked it more than using it with an oscillator.

Actually I like the feature set of the Ikarie more than the filter sound, but I've not engaged it long enough to know what it's capable of really. I've done some vanilla patches and some versions of QPAS patches and Three Sisters patches I did when I owned them that were easy for getting weirder sounds. My main gripe is when I sweep it has some resonance distortion that I've never been into and I thought it would be fine if I turned the input level down, but it's always there. If it wasn't for that I'd probably have no issue.
THUMPR BC SC

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Tue May 04, 2021 6:56 pm

I keep loving this more and more. I think when people see “8hp” they make an assumption as to what 8hp worth of functionality can deliver.

I’m barely scratching the surface here and I’m two months in.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed May 05, 2021 3:10 am

I just pulled the pin on one, mainly for the feature set and the fact that I don't have a stereo filter yet.

I did consider the After Late Audio Popple, which looks more like a straight take on the idea of a stereo filter like QPAS or the Stereo Dipole (but less HP and not as featured as either of those). Anyone have one to compare?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu May 06, 2021 9:15 am

I had the qpas and sold it to get this. What specifically are you wanting to know? They sound very different.

Qpas is clean and has four peaks whereas the Ikarie has two which is taking me some getting used to honestly just because it was my first stereo filter and is a bit informed. Great normalization. Doesn’t resonate. Light overdrive. !!¡¡ inputs are brilliant.

Ikarie is dirtier and has a lot of brilliant features. Resonates and distorts aggressively. Follow output allows empathetic patching.
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “Eurorack Modules”