Casper/Bastl Ikarie Stereo Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Del
Common Wiggler

Re: Casper/Bastl Ikarie Stereo Filter

Post by Del » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:40 pm

Any more demos of this filter?

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm

Only checked the product blurb, but is this analouge or digital? it's analog.

I just ordered a Katowice, but this also sounds great - might as well give it a try.

abel_terrestrian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abel_terrestrian » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:15 am

Here's Ikarie in the Echophon's external feedback loop:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nhv6sxkm8v8r ... 2.wav?dl=0

Sound source is DPO sine (!) -> Optomix. At one point you can hear how Ikarie's envelope follower gives each repeat its own filter envelope, which makes the delay really punchy.

optiprime8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optiprime8 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:45 am

abel_terrestrian wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:15 am
Here's Ikarie in the Echophon's external feedback loop:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nhv6sxkm8v8r ... 2.wav?dl=0

Sound source is DPO sine (!) -> Optomix. At one point you can hear how Ikarie's envelope follower gives each repeat its own filter envelope, which makes the delay really punchy.
Nice!
I just got Ikarie and I’m really liking it with the DPO. Of course everything sounds good through the echophon.

Morog Far
Common Wiggler

Post by Morog Far » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:25 pm

Love this thing, really versatile!

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 pm

Does anyone know the brand name of those dummy jacks in the Noise Kitchen vid on page 1?

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:31 pm

A cool discovery I just made on the Ikarie: the character of the Input knob lends itself to very interesting effects, quite reminiscent to the saxophone/wind instrument sound that Mangove produces when you use its integrated VCA. If you boost the gain all the way CW on the Ikarie and control both the MOD input and the VCA with the same duplicatedenvelope, the sound opens up and closes in a very Mangrovesque way. In this demo I'm just feeding it a simple saw wave from Plaits, and it's very close with what my Mangrove gives with the Air input. A patch worth patching if you like the Mangrove.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:44 pm

That’s nice - hopefully mine will get here soon - USPS tracking is non existent at the moment.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:44 pm
That’s nice - hopefully mine will get here soon - USPS tracking is non existent at the moment.
Good to see it's not just me. Tracking for a case I ordered has tracking from leaving Los Angeles about four days ago, and nothing after.

I still need to explore Ikarie more. It is my first Eurorack filter, so still getting used to it.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:26 pm

This filter is unusual. I will need to return to my home planet in order to test further. Based on a cursory examination on the Ikarie planet's surface, it appears to produce an acidic substance.....

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:20 am

Whatisvalis wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:44 pm
Hope you get yours soon! I'm sure you'll find it well worth the wait. One thing you'll notice is that the Resonance can create unexpected volume spikes. It's more due to the wide range of possible extreme settings than anything else - playing with the gain input and the Frequency range allows to find very interesting sweet spots or desirable feedback. It's my 4th filter and if I had to keep just one it would definitely be this one. It's also a bit of a swiss army knife and can be used as a gain booster, stereo fader, mono crossfade, vca/stereo vca, all along with the filtering capabilities or not if you don't want to use them.

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:21 am

(deleted - accidental double post)

rareo
Common Wiggler

Post by rareo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:01 am

I have had this filter for two days and i can confidently say it is ultra nice, a voyage to the end of the universe.

It feels like quality, It sounds superb.

It looks like a sci fi novel.

The saturation and resonance are juicy.

The 5x input gain is thick.

The envelope follower is useful and intuitive.

The options and outputs combined with it's size are well thought out.

5 stars.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:01 pm

rareo wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:01 am
I have had this filter for two days and i can confidently say it is ultra nice, a voyage to the end of the universe.

5 stars.
Nice ! how do you find the stereo image? I worry it cannot get as wide sounding as some other dual filters where you can control the left and right side individually

Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:37 pm

rareo wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:01 am

5 stars.
I agree with everything but you forgot to mention how nice the pinging is...

and here another example with quite a bit of gain and saturation.

rareo
Common Wiggler

Post by rareo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:55 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:01 pm
Nice ! how do you find the stereo image? I worry it cannot get as wide sounding as some other dual filters where you can control the left and right side individually
Well i haven't got terribly scientific with it yet just because i've been recording everything I've been working on with it...which is the type of mood i hoped to get while using it, feeling pumped just to use it. But for sure it's not the same sort of exact width manipulation, pinpointing crossover frequencies with independent resonance and such, or using as a mid side processor, as other stereo filters. I got it mainly to be a characterful stereo capable filter, but not my primary "stereo" filter. It's state variability is really fun because of the ability to invert envelope follower just as immediately. Also the "beyond" aka difference output in addition to the left and right is special, making the filter entirely it's own thing, lovely saturation aside. I'm pairing beyond with the left or even both L/R outputs in Praga downstream with control of panning makes for a radical sound experience, in ways more interesting than the type of "dual filter" vibe, however given it's size and cost, I can imagine having two at some point anway.

That being said, I already have and love the stereo dipole and wouldn't replace one with the other, at the moment running one into the other is a great pairing. imo the Ikarie is just cool and good looking not to own.

rareo
Common Wiggler

Post by rareo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Estes wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:37 pm

I agree with everything but you forgot to mention how nice the pinging is...

and here another example with quite a bit of gain and saturation.
Ooyou're right! i haven't even got around to a good ping sesh yet but by your examples it's evidently so.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:44 pm

I've not unlocked what I like about stereo filtering yet but I imagine it's in there somewhere. I liked the QPAS because it sounded wide pretty easy and I imagine that was because you could control the peaks independent of each other. That might be something I'll just say by to for awhile. It has less of what I don't use and smaller.
THUMPR BC SC

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:38 am

Is this the same filter as the one in softpop?

finalplane
Common Wiggler

Post by finalplane » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:46 am

what gives? wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:38 am
Is this the same filter as the one in softpop?
It’s definitely a ‘soft pop-type filter’, which they say in one of the promo discussions/ interviews that came out in its release. To my ear, the liquidity of ikarie is more of a lake and soft pop is more of a bathtub, but that might be what’s going into them. Both LP -> HP filters and both highlight EFs. Soft pop filter is not stereo though
whipcreamsfruitquartet.bandcamp.com

boramx
lepidopteran orgasm

Post by boramx » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:24 pm

haven't gotten any new eurorack modules in a long time...lo and behold an 8hp slot, a module i barely used for the last 5 years staring back at me. I wanted something versatile for a replacement - processor, voice, CV source......this filter seemed too good to pass up.

short review - great work Peter and Vaclav! Such a cool design - a bit kitchen-sink and strange, yet elegant at the same time. THe many functions all work together easily/bounce off each other. So much range from clean and sharp to really greasy/fudgy or screamy/animalistic. overdrive is VERY well done, huge variety of tones just at the input.

I haven't even tried panning/fade or ring-mod yet.

Mimmo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mimmo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm

Hey, can any of you owners tell me if the ring around cutoff knob, the little "stars", and mod "star" are backlit? I only saw them lit at some point on the promo video but everywhere else they appear off.

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Mimmo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm
Hey, can any of you owners tell me if the ring around cutoff knob, the little "stars", and mod "star" are backlit? I only saw them lit at some point on the promo video but everywhere else they appear off.
They are backlit. Actually surprised me when I got it, I assumed from the promos that they weren’t.

It looks pretty great. :)

oofwello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oofwello » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am

Anyone managed to compare this to a SSF Stereo Dipole? I just purchased the dipole and sounds great but this could have saved me a lot of HP!

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 am

oofwello wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am
Anyone managed to compare this to a SSF Stereo Dipole? I just purchased the dipole and sounds great but this could have saved me a lot of HP!
I replaced my Dipole with the Ikarie and couldn’t be happier. Wasn’t really vibing with the Dipole, too “clean” for my taste.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”