Casper/Bastl Ikarie Stereo Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Casper/Bastl Ikarie Stereo Filter

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Excited for this. Still hasn't dropped but I didn't see a thread for it. I wouldn't mind swapping for my QPAS to save some space.
THUMPR BC SC

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Re: Casper/Bastl Ikarie Stereo Filter

Post by dvdmllr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:25 am

This just dropped today, a few videos up on Bastl's Youtube on the Ikarie now and available to order at noise.kitchen already. Excited for the Ikarie, ordered right away.

bibleblack
Common Wiggler

Post by bibleblack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Looking forward to this one

teamhobson
Common Wiggler

Post by teamhobson » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:45 pm

The envelope follower on the drums sounds pretty dope. Another fairly unique stereo filter - we're spoilt for choice!

I think i'll replace my Erica Black dual filter with this eventually. I'm not in love with the sound of the Erica and it would be nice to save some hp!

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:54 pm

This might replace my Stereo Dipole which almost sounds too clean for my taste. I am looking for a Stereo Filter with more character, and this just might be it.

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Yeah this thing sounds great... Not sure why bastl stuff gets a bit overlooked seemingly

gnsk
Common Wiggler

Post by gnsk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:22 pm

good to see the two PCBs structure, unlike Dark Matter, Waver and other SMD Bastl Modules

teamhobson
Common Wiggler

Post by teamhobson » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:43 am

Ordered mine at Elevator Sound in Bristol. Think they're getting them in tomorrow. Has anyone received theirs yet? Any first impressions?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:19 pm

grizzleb wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Yeah this thing sounds great... Not sure why bastl stuff gets a bit overlooked seemingly
Bastl is heavily used. I think most people gravitate toward them when starting and eventually graduate to something else but they are not overlooked. They'd leave a big hole in systems if they stopped existing.
THUMPR BC SC

Saladolar
Common Wiggler

Post by Saladolar » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:35 am

I just found this demo by Noise Kitchen.
Not cheap, but definitely an interesting module. Could pair nicely with my morphagene !

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:15 am

teamhobson wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:43 am
Ordered mine at Elevator Sound in Bristol. Think they're getting them in tomorrow. Has anyone received theirs yet? Any first impressions?
Received my Ikarie today. That thing is great! By far the most I have enjoyed a filter module (out of 3 I have owned in total). This does so much in just 8 HP. Potential to be a future classic, you are in for a treat!

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:39 pm

I like the idea of playing the filter with one hand, and the diagonal fader. Some nice out-of-the-box thinking there. It does have a Qpas-ish character, even more so when you use the envelope follower via the mod. A quirky pronounced character, but can be clean and surgical at lower settings. The 24dB series setting gets almost into wasp territory, i almost like that the most

Always enjoy his video's as well, there's something really aesthetically pleasing about his accent and demeanour. I don't know why, but i love it.

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:20 pm

Just picked one of these up and it's totally awesome. Always been turned off by Bastl because I find their branding ugly... The Ikarie does really cool things, sounds wonderful, and is a lot of fun to explore. They packed a lot in 8HP.

Saladolar
Common Wiggler

Post by Saladolar » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:37 pm

Hey I would really like to ear more demos of this little guy...
Please :hail:

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:31 pm

I have been thinking I need a first filter for my 364 HP rack, but nothing has really wow'ed me until I saw this one.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:53 pm

The manual is working for anyone that was waiting
THUMPR BC SC

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:21 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:53 pm
The manual is working for anyone that was waiting
Thanks. Downloaded it last night after seeing your post. It is much more detailed and informative than some of the other Bastl manuals I have seen.

esmooov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esmooov » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:09 am

So, I just got this last night and it is perhaps the best-sounding filter I've ever played with. However, there's one small weird thing that I was wondering if other experienced or if, maybe, there's something a bit off on mine. Whenever the gain is above 1x (8pm-ish), the filter clicks/pops when I sweep the main knob (the cutoff) past noon. On a scope, the waveform jumps from its shape to a slightly lower amplitude one, crossing from the LP to the HP side (or vice versa). This happens under manual control or modulation and persists regardless of resonance, stereo, or mod changes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:29 am

Control Voltage has a number of these in stock. Ordered one last night. My rack was just completely filled as of last week with two 2 HP (the size...one was a 2HP Rout and one a Bastl Propust) modules I bought. Now I need to get this to fit in. I think I will pull my Cre8 Audio Cellz module. I have not really delved into it since I got my Nifty Bundle, so I think it can go by the wayside for the time being.

But that will leave a 4 HP slot begging to be filled...

esmooov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esmooov » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 am

esmooov wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:09 am
So, I just got this last night and it is perhaps the best-sounding filter I've ever played with. However, there's one small weird thing that I was wondering if other experienced or if, maybe, there's something a bit off on mine. Whenever the gain is above 1x (8pm-ish), the filter clicks/pops when I sweep the main knob (the cutoff) past noon. On a scope, the waveform jumps from its shape to a slightly lower amplitude one, crossing from the LP to the HP side (or vice versa). This happens under manual control or modulation and persists regardless of resonance, stereo, or mod changes. Has anyone else experienced this?
So, I just heard back and this is totally normal, an effect of how the resonance + higher gains work together. The issue is really minor and I just want to re-emphasize how impressive this filter is, from both an ergonomic and a sound standpoint. When y'all get yours, take a moment to push it into self-oscillation and use it to make a really low kick (super easy thanks to its built-in VCA). Dialing in the right touch of spread, the sub out of this thing is absolutely massive.

Kennymester
Common Wiggler

Post by Kennymester » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Anyone compare one of these to a WMD Overseer? I have the Overseer in a case being used as a way to cut the lows out in a performance setting while being able to move around the stereo image. Would I be able to do something similar with the Ikarie?

esmooov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by esmooov » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Kennymester wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:48 pm
Anyone compare one of these to a WMD Overseer? I have the Overseer in a case being used as a way to cut the lows out in a performance setting while being able to move around the stereo image. Would I be able to do something similar with the Ikarie?
You absolutely can use it for this and, given the way that the pre-gain control affects the filter, when you overdrive it in HP mode the lows comeback, so there are some cool performance things you can do with that, keeping the cutoff high and playing with the gain like a VCA for just the lows. It's super capable in (and designed for) a live setting.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:17 am

this filter looks and sounds amazing—hits a lot of the notes I loved about my Klangbau Twin Peak filter (besides the obvious Beyond output, the fast envelope follower behaves much like the "Tr" knobs that are normalized to the audio input) while managing to be highly stereo-capable in almost half the HP.

only thing I find slightly problematic: I imagine it would be very easy to accidentally push Ikarie into high pass unintentionally when feeding Mod some CV and manually raising the cutoff. if only there were a switch to clip the summed pot+CV voltage so that you can stay within LP (or HP) without having to readjust both the mod attenuator when you're playing with the cutoff (very much a two-hand operation!). obviously the filter was designed with primarily more experimental usage in mind than "envelope modulating cutoff while you tweak its offset", but ideally it would be able to do the normal stuff easily, too.

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:37 pm

would love to hear more demos of this. how does the v/oct input interact with the dual lp/hp configuration? like if you are inputing pitch cv in the v/oct input will it it a certain level crossover to hp? i guess thats dependent on the position of the ain cutoff knob too...

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:10 pm

Oof 95 on -12v rail. I stupidly just ordered this and sold my old filter before looking at the specs. And I’m over. On-12

Return to “Eurorack Modules”