Clock dividers good at frequency division

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

hinterlands303

Clock dividers good at frequency division

Post by hinterlands303 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Which clock dividers do you know of that also make good/interesting audio frequency dividers at audio rates? I'm looking to pick up another clock divider (I have Pam's doing basic clocking) and I'd like one that does frequency division without too much aliasing. Alternatively, I could pick up something marketed as a frequency/sub-octave divider if it will also work well for clock divisions. Here are the one's I know of:

Doepfer a-160 - used to have one and it works great for sub-octaves.
Doepfer a-160-2 - can do sub-octaves in a pinch but with some artifacts. Great clock divider though.
NLC Divide and Conquer - I haven't tried it but on paper seems great
Random Source/Serge NCOM - Also looks great plus you get a comparator

What else should I look at for this? The Doepfer a-163 seems really cool - similar to the NCOM but no comparator. Edit: Looks like the a-163 is audio only unless you modify it.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: Clock dividers good at frequency division

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun May 31, 2020 1:02 pm

Remember to check which kind of divider you are getting. For audio rates it probably doesn't matter matter much, but for sequencing there are two types of dividers out there. One type is what I call the Mathematical divider which counts to the division and then makes an output. These don't understand the musical "downbeat". For example a divide by 4 would give you - 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc. The other type, which I call a Musical divider, understands the downbeat and with the same divide by 4, would give you 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc. This makes a lot of difference if you want to have a transposition or sequence change happen on the start of the phrase instead of at the last note of the phrase.

You can tell which kind of divider it is by the behavior when a reset is given. On a Mathematical one, all outputs go low, on a Musical one, all go high.
Clock Divider types.jpg
Many of the latest versions of dividers now have a switch to change to the different modes. It also can be done with external inverters if needed.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun May 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Circuit Abbey G8 works well at both audio and clock rates and produces multiple subdivisions simultaneously, which you can mix like a Subharmonicon. And you can select how it divides/resets.

hinterlands303

Post by hinterlands303 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:50 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:02 pm
Remember to check which kind of divider you are getting. For audio rates it probably doesn't matter matter much, but for sequencing there are two types of dividers out there.
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I'm aware of the difference having had an a-160 in the past (which is a mathematical divider). Thanks for pointing it out though as it's good general information for those reading.

Am I correct that all CMOS based dividers would do "mathematical" divisions? It seems that the CMOS dividers tend to be nicer for subharmonics in my limited experience.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sun May 31, 2020 2:03 pm

The STG .COM is bipolar and is designed to work as a sub oscillator (and PWM generator).
The NLC Divide & Conquer you mention is unipolar but the odd divisions (by 3, 1.5, 5, 2.5, 7 and 3.5) are awesome for generating harmonics that can be mixed to taste.

Basically any CMOS divider should work. Avoid microprocessor-based dividers such as the 4ms QCD. They don't cover the entire audio range (and the QCD's timing is all over the place when used to create beats).

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sun May 31, 2020 2:17 pm

starthief wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:35 pm
Circuit Abbey G8 works well at both audio and clock rates and produces multiple subdivisions simultaneously, which you can mix like a Subharmonicon. And you can select how it divides/resets.
+1. G8 works great at audiorates and has a few different clockinging options.
FS (US SF Bay Area): Ladik U-030 Gate to Trigger converter
WTB (US): Harvestman Double Andore mk2

hinterlands303

Post by hinterlands303 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:35 pm

mhtones wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:17 pm
starthief wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:35 pm
+1. G8 works great at audiorates and has a few different clockinging options.
Good to know. I assumed it would be a bit glitchy at audio rates like the a-160-2. Seems a bit tough to track down though.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”