Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

skysaw
Common Wiggler

Re: Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Post by skysaw »

tommygee wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:15 pm I'm using my voltage block as a fader bank as well - but will the Er-301. And if you want to fully automate faders you just insert a clock into Voltage Block. Gotta try it out with the Ensemble Osc :yay:
Or try the Acid Rain Maestro… manipulates the hell outta the Ens Osc!
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

how would ensemble osc compare to smth like braids? reading this thread everyone raising the toast for how good it is makes me wonder is it winner module for pads n shit compared to mutable stuff in chord and other modes. i can aquire braids for half the price of this guy, dont know if its worth double investment. demos sound nice tbh though im not so fond of digital oscs maybe one might not hurt
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Get what you want. Braids is digital too.
THUMPR BC SC
oakwood
Common Wiggler

Post by oakwood »

why are we comparing enosc and braids?
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Braids (and some others) do a bunch of preset, standard chord types, which might be fine if that's what you're looking for.

EnOsc's real strength is its ability to go beyond that with a different approach, completely customizable scales and cross-modulation. There's nothing wrong with using it for basic chords, but it's not using it to its full potential. I think of it more as "chords and clusters as a synthesis technique" rather than "chord machine."
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

starthief wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am Braids (and some others) do a bunch of preset, standard chord types, which might be fine if that's what you're looking for.

EnOsc's real strength is its ability to go beyond that with a different approach, completely customizable scales and cross-modulation. There's nothing wrong with using it for basic chords, but it's not using it to its full potential. I think of it more as "chords and clusters as a synthesis technique" rather than "chord machine."

thanks. it seems ensemble osc has wider sound sculpting abilities at hand. but i wonder how many of you guys are customising those scales :) sounds a bit tedious to do without any screen but maybe im wrong. aaand regarding the cross modulation, i guess i wont understand until i have in front of me haha
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Honestly, I haven't programmed any custom scales yet. But for comparison:

Braids' WTX4 chord mode has 14 chord options total, with 4 voices in the chord. Then there's one parameter left for timbre control.

EnOsc has, without even messing with custom scales, 30 scale options times however many possible voicings/inversions there are from Spread and Root combinations, using up to 16 voices. It also has the Balance parameter and stereo mode options to set their relative levels and select which outputs they appear on. And two independent waveshapers with 3 modes each, plus the cross-FM with 3 modes, and detuning.

I usually pick Scale and Spread based on what works well with FM and/or what happens to harmonize with whatever else is going on in my patch. Usually I don't have trouble finding a few good options.
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

starthief wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:59 pm Honestly, I haven't programmed any custom scales yet. But for comparison:

Braids' WTX4 chord mode has 14 chord options total, with 4 voices in the chord. Then there's one parameter left for timbre control.

EnOsc has, without even messing with custom scales, 30 scale options times however many possible voicings/inversions there are from Spread and Root combinations, using up to 16 voices. It also has the Balance parameter and stereo mode options to set their relative levels and select which outputs they appear on. And two independent waveshapers with 3 modes each, plus the cross-FM with 3 modes, and detuning.

I usually pick Scale and Spread based on what works well with FM and/or what happens to harmonize with whatever else is going on in my patch. Usually I don't have trouble finding a few good options.
so its a bit hardee to control/tame i guess. attenuators attenuators
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Yeah, attenuators are important with EnOsc. It really should have been a bigger module and had them built in IMHO.
mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang »

starthief wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:12 pm Yeah, attenuators are important with EnOsc. It really should have been a bigger module and had them built in IMHO.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it had been larger, people would have complained that it was too big.

I think it's safe to assume most eurorack users have attenuators handy!
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Yup and not long ago every system had attenuators.
THUMPR BC SC
pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang »

starthief wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:12 pm Yeah, attenuators are important with EnOsc. It really should have been a bigger module and had them built in IMHO.
I agree :wink:
IMG_5628.JPG
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

pelang wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:41 am
I agree :wink:

IMG_5628.JPG
crazy :D
clwilla
Common Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

I used mine last night for the first time. Had a blast with it.

I got around the attenuation issue by using the attenuator on Marbles to keep it within a 2v range.
clwilla
Common Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

Joey P. wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:01 am
Dennis wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:18 am is it possible to drive it from a ACL sinfonion? wether to use one of the three 1V/oct single quantizer channels or from the 4 voice chord generator?

or maybe better question is: could i disable the internal quantizer from the ensemble oscillator?
Pitch CV input is unquantized. ROOT CV input is quantized to selectable scales, including semitone and microtonal.

4-voice chord generator won't work with the Ensemble because there is not individual CV control of each oscillator.

It works well with the Marbles, assigning a quantized output to Pitch and a quantized or unquantized output to the Root. With Sinfonion, you could use a quantized output for each, or use one quantized channel for pitch, and an LFO or random, or whatever for root.
Marbles X1 and X3 to Root and Pitch v/oct inputs was my first patch with the Ensemble Osc. I patched X2 to the Warp input, some dialed in FM on the panel, and some Euclidean Drum beats, and I had a near instant banger.
Synthetica
Common Wiggler

Post by Synthetica »

Received today, If ever a Module should be called a complex Oscillator this should be the definition. Amazing and incredible are terms that come to mind so far !
parallaxmemory
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parallaxmemory »

I searched and could not find anything on this topic. I just bought the ensemble oscillator new from a prominent vendor. I am asking them about this problem as well. It seems that all of the knobs except for the largest and the smallest one rotate in a kind of elliptical pattern. It is not a perfect circle as you go from 7 o’clock to 5 o’clock. Is this just the way it’s designed?
fastlanestranger
Common Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

My knobs were a bit wonky on my unit too. A couple of them are insanely tight and difficult to turn. After playing with it a bunch it’s loosened up and the issue you mention doesn’t bother me any more, but it’s also not too bad on mine.
Is the function all there? If it’s working your nerve, and understandably so, I’d see about returning it for another.
parallaxmemory
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parallaxmemory »

It isn’t that one or two of them are wonky. All of them except for the largest and smallest work exactly in the same way. They don’t rotate in an exact circle it’s more like an elliptical rotation. It does seem to be a purposeful design choice which is why I’m asking here. All of the knobs are very high-quality and turn with the same kind of force. So it isn’t an issue of one knob being worse than another or something like that.
parallaxmemory
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parallaxmemory »

parallaxmemory wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm It isn’t that one or two of them are wonky. All of them except for the largest and smallest work exactly in the same way. They don’t rotate in an exact circle it’s more like an elliptical rotation. It does seem to be a purposeful design choice which is why I’m asking here. All of the knobs are very high-quality and turn with the same kind of force. So it isn’t an issue of one knob being worse than another or something like that.
Just to close the loop. This is definitely a defective unit, as there are other issues with it as well. I am returning it.
fastlanestranger
Common Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

parallaxmemory wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:13 pm
parallaxmemory wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm It isn’t that one or two of them are wonky. All of them except for the largest and smallest work exactly in the same way. They don’t rotate in an exact circle it’s more like an elliptical rotation. It does seem to be a purposeful design choice which is why I’m asking here. All of the knobs are very high-quality and turn with the same kind of force. So it isn’t an issue of one knob being worse than another or something like that.
Just to close the loop. This is definitely a defective unit, as there are other issues with it as well. I am returning it.
I’m happy to read that. Yeah I checked out my knobs tonight and they’re only tight, they don’t do what you’re describing. Definitely come back and post your impressions when you get a proper unit back!
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

Yeah, send that back for another one. Mine has knobs with very smooth and even feel. Perfect weight and resistance.
mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang »

A few units had to ship with knobs that use set screws, rather than molded knobs. Hit up 4ms if you need replacements.
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
parallaxmemory
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parallaxmemory »

There were no set screws. I'm returning the unit. It also seemed to have other problems. However, I'm unhappy with this vendor now as well, and the lack of expediting any of this.
transistorresistor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor »

one thing to investigate, if the knob isnt seated on the shaft properly, it can present some wobble in your hand. Additionally, if the knob is seated too deep on the shaft it can drag against the nut or the panel itself and create a bunch of resistance which can loosen over time. Could be they had a new person working on assembly, or that unit was made on a friday afternoon. Or it could be something else entirely, but youd be wise to pull the knobs and reseat them and see if the problem is rectified because it could be as simple as that. It would be odd for the shaft itself to present an elliptical rotation but anything is possible.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”